Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If Boris locked us down for Christmas.. 17:02 - Dec 21 with 6702 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

..how many realistically would listen to him and not see family?

After everything that’s gone on with their secret parties and having us locked down last minute last year after all that sh** about how we can save Christmas in the months leading up to it, only to cancel Christmas yet again last minute.

I just wouldn’t yet again not see family come Christmas Day. I’m sorry if that makes me a c**t but it’s Christmas ffs and I’m triple jabbed now. We’re only in this mess because of those who haven’t had the vaccine but that’s not my fault, nor my problem. And I absolutely doubt I’ve even in the minority having seen twitter today.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

If Boris locked us down for Christmas.. on 11:45 - Dec 22 with 945 viewsStokieBlue

If Boris locked us down for Christmas.. on 11:37 - Dec 22 by Herbivore

You are aware that anyone can get long Covid, including you? If you're young and healthy you are unlikely to die from Covid, though it's not impossible either, but you can suffer some quite unpleasant long term side effects.

If your general point is right, that people are capable of being sensible and taking precautions and making their own decisions about what's safe, than why is it that without restrictions being imposed we see cases spike? Having been down to England when mask wearing was no longer mandatory and seeing how few people were choosing to wear masks, I don't share your view that people are capable of judging risk and taking sensible decisions.

"Having been down to England when mask wearing was no longer mandatory and seeing how few people were choosing to wear masks, I don't share your view that people are capable of judging risk and taking sensible decisions."

Plenty of evidence that people aren't wearing masks in places where it's the rules or law at the moment. See instances on public transport (both when it was rules and law in London) and places like the concourse at PR just this last match.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

If Boris locked us down for Christmas.. on 11:48 - Dec 22 with 924 viewsbracknell_blue

We wouldn't. Plans to go oujr daughters would be kept, but I would have my suit with me, plus some wine and cheese, so I could claim we were going to a husiness meeting.

Poll: Should Thatcher have a state funeral

If Boris locked us down for Christmas.. on 11:51 - Dec 22 with 914 viewsHerbivore

If Boris locked us down for Christmas.. on 11:45 - Dec 22 by StokieBlue

"Having been down to England when mask wearing was no longer mandatory and seeing how few people were choosing to wear masks, I don't share your view that people are capable of judging risk and taking sensible decisions."

Plenty of evidence that people aren't wearing masks in places where it's the rules or law at the moment. See instances on public transport (both when it was rules and law in London) and places like the concourse at PR just this last match.

SB

This is true. I've noticed that whilst mask wearing is better now than it was, it's still a way below where it was during lockdown. I know people are fed up and don't like wearing masks but it's such a relatively small thing to ask people to do to reduce the likelihood of spreading Covid. Someone I know went to the game on Saturday and has tested positive for Covid, very likely they caught it at PR or on the train as they've not really been anywhere else.
[Post edited 22 Dec 2021 11:54]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

If Boris locked us down for Christmas.. on 11:54 - Dec 22 with 911 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

If Boris locked us down for Christmas.. on 11:43 - Dec 22 by StokieBlue

"something that’s not a risk to me"

I'm sure the tens of thousands of people in your age bracket suffering from long covid would disagree it's not a risk to you.

SB

Unbelievable some people still think like this, which I suspect is part of the problem.

I'm triple-jabbed but I'm being more safety-conscious than before since the new variant (i.e. started carrying around a little bottle of hand gel, worse a mask for the entire game on Saturday etc.)

The weird thing is, these things aren't difficult or too bothersome, so why wouldn't you just in case? Same with this whole "we must have Christmas" narrative. I had last Christmas with the folks in the summer. It was fine, and everyone was safe. Some people seem to be acting like kids who aren't allowed more sweets. If everyone erred on the side of caution we'd be in a lot better state right now.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

If Boris locked us down for Christmas.. on 12:14 - Dec 22 with 869 viewsjeera

If Boris locked us down for Christmas.. on 11:54 - Dec 22 by The_Flashing_Smile

Unbelievable some people still think like this, which I suspect is part of the problem.

I'm triple-jabbed but I'm being more safety-conscious than before since the new variant (i.e. started carrying around a little bottle of hand gel, worse a mask for the entire game on Saturday etc.)

The weird thing is, these things aren't difficult or too bothersome, so why wouldn't you just in case? Same with this whole "we must have Christmas" narrative. I had last Christmas with the folks in the summer. It was fine, and everyone was safe. Some people seem to be acting like kids who aren't allowed more sweets. If everyone erred on the side of caution we'd be in a lot better state right now.

You wouldn't believe there was any actual hardship in the world sometimes.

People starving to death in their tens of thousands, drowning in terrifying seas, children being bombed.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

If Boris locked us down for Christmas.. on 12:18 - Dec 22 with 863 viewsHerbivore

If Boris locked us down for Christmas.. on 12:14 - Dec 22 by jeera

You wouldn't believe there was any actual hardship in the world sometimes.

People starving to death in their tens of thousands, drowning in terrifying seas, children being bombed.

I dread to think how some of these folks would have coped if we were in a World War II type scenario. "No I won't follow blackout, I want to organise my collection of old FHM magazines!". I get that the last couple of years has been pretty sh!t, none of us are enjoying it, but some perspective at times would be helpful. Even during lockdown we still enjoyed freedoms that some can only dream of.

If Boris locked us down for Christmas.. on 12:21 - Dec 22 with 860 viewsfooters

If Boris locked us down for Christmas.. on 12:18 - Dec 22 by Herbivore

I dread to think how some of these folks would have coped if we were in a World War II type scenario. "No I won't follow blackout, I want to organise my collection of old FHM magazines!". I get that the last couple of years has been pretty sh!t, none of us are enjoying it, but some perspective at times would be helpful. Even during lockdown we still enjoyed freedoms that some can only dream of.

Yeah, but I'm bored of the Luftwaffe. Not like they're going to stop bombing London anyway, is it? So what's the point?

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

If Boris locked us down for Christmas.. on 12:35 - Dec 22 with 821 viewsgiant_stow

If Boris locked us down for Christmas.. on 12:18 - Dec 22 by Herbivore

I think you guys are being a little harsh and also a little work-at-home centric.

Its not surprising that people are down on morale - talk of lockdown after jabs is undoubtedly a kick in the teeth, no matter how you dress it. Throw in anger at Tory rule breakers and anger at the unjabbed, no wonder people are kicking back a bit.

Also remember that not everyone can ease into a work at home routine - for many lockdown means no income, or a total dislocation from normal activities. And those that live alone are staring at another stretch of extreme loneliness - easy to sniff at a 'mental health' concerns, but actually pretty serious for many.

Yes people elsewhere or in other times have it much worse, but losing freedom isn't to be sniffed at either.

I just think we could do with a bit more understanding and less mockery.
[Post edited 22 Dec 2021 12:35]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Login to get fewer ads

If Boris locked us down for Christmas.. on 12:43 - Dec 22 with 802 viewsHerbivore

If Boris locked us down for Christmas.. on 12:35 - Dec 22 by giant_stow

I think you guys are being a little harsh and also a little work-at-home centric.

Its not surprising that people are down on morale - talk of lockdown after jabs is undoubtedly a kick in the teeth, no matter how you dress it. Throw in anger at Tory rule breakers and anger at the unjabbed, no wonder people are kicking back a bit.

Also remember that not everyone can ease into a work at home routine - for many lockdown means no income, or a total dislocation from normal activities. And those that live alone are staring at another stretch of extreme loneliness - easy to sniff at a 'mental health' concerns, but actually pretty serious for many.

Yes people elsewhere or in other times have it much worse, but losing freedom isn't to be sniffed at either.

Well for a start we aren't in full lockdown and there's no indication that this will be the course of action going forward, it's likely to be limits to how many people we can see and where. Not ideal but rather mitigates the concerns about people living on their own. And many of the issues you point out don't apply to a lot of the freedom lovers who are most vocal about not wanting any restrictions. I have lots of sympathy for those who are genuinely affected by it - such as the chap who posted about his own struggles earlier in the thread - but those who are just stamping their feet and saying "Enough!" often don't fall into that category.
[Post edited 22 Dec 2021 13:14]

If Boris locked us down for Christmas.. on 13:22 - Dec 22 with 742 viewsThe_Major

Someone elsewhere has just made the very good point. Nicola Sturgeon had the cojones to put Rangers v Celtic behind closed doors. Johnson is dithering to do the same for Oldham v Scunthorpe.
If Boris locked us down for Christmas.. on 13:26 - Dec 22 with 733 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Not sure how any of this discussion has been work-at-home centric, I don't see anyone sniffing at 'mental health' concerns, and not really seeing mockery really either. Think you're building a lot of straw men there.

If Boris locked us down for Christmas.. on 14:14 - Dec 22 with 667 viewsjeera

I don't work from home although am generally stuck at home.

I would say the suggestions are asking people to look at the bigger picture, rather than mockery.

There are people in prisons, long-term, plenty around the world in solitary confinement living in their own excrement; those kind of conditions. Many innocent people enslaved in places like China right now with no happy end in sight ever.

So yes it is hard to not say it sometimes. It's not a joke, there are actual people being blown to bits as we 'speak' in Yemen and elsewhere, so it feels a bit self-indulgent when people complain sometimes.

Obviously wish anyone well who is struggling, of course I do, and I hope they continue to vent if/when necessary. It's a coping mechanism and it's fine.

But like I say, it doesn't hurt to count your blessings here and there either.

If Boris locked us down for Christmas.. on 14:17 - Dec 22 with 653 viewsjeera

If Boris locked us down for Christmas.. on 13:26 - Dec 22 by The_Flashing_Smile

Not sure how any of this discussion has been work-at-home centric, I don't see anyone sniffing at 'mental health' concerns, and not really seeing mockery really either. Think you're building a lot of straw men there.

Have to agree, however reluctantly.

If Boris locked us down for Christmas.. on 15:55 - Dec 22 with 578 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

If Boris locked us down for Christmas.. on 14:17 - Dec 22 by jeera

Have to agree, however reluctantly.

Why reluctantly?

If Boris locked us down for Christmas.. on 16:10 - Dec 22 with 559 viewsjeera

If Boris locked us down for Christmas.. on 15:55 - Dec 22 by The_Flashing_Smile

Why reluctantly?

T'was a seasonal joke Flashers, between us pals.

Meaning we still agree every now and again.

If Boris locked us down for Christmas.. on 16:48 - Dec 22 with 518 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

If Boris locked us down for Christmas.. on 16:10 - Dec 22 by jeera

T'was a seasonal joke Flashers, between us pals.

Meaning we still agree every now and again.

I didn't think we didn't!

If Boris locked us down for Christmas.. on 17:28 - Dec 22 with 493 viewsjeera

If Boris locked us down for Christmas.. on 16:48 - Dec 22 by The_Flashing_Smile

I didn't think we didn't!

About that...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024