Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Watching the 1988 Xmas Top of the Pops special 19:24 - Dec 21 with 2073 viewsIllinoisblue

Just had Orinoco Flow, now some Aswad. TWTD. Kidding, late 80s was sheeite

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Watching the 1988 Xmas Top of the Pops special on 19:36 - Dec 21 with 1638 viewsgainsboroughblue

86 onwards was dreadful. Especially when Stock, Aitken and Waterman took hold. I had already made the switch to watching the chart show by then, basing my purchases on the indie chart run down, as well as listening to the Peel show.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Watching the 1988 Xmas Top of the Pops special on 19:37 - Dec 21 with 1631 viewsWhos_blue

Apart from the rave scene, The Stone Roses and The Wonderstuff!

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Watching the 1988 Xmas Top of the Pops special on 19:37 - Dec 21 with 1634 viewsDubtractor

Agree and disagree.

The stuff at the top of the charts in the late 80s/early 90s was utter toss, more so than ever, but further down the charts there was some really interesting stuff going on. The impact of rave culture coming into the mainstream, UK indie before britpop consumed it, the wave of hip hop that included de la soul and tribe called quest.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Watching the 1988 Xmas Top of the Pops special on 19:38 - Dec 21 with 1624 viewsBarcaBlue

I left England to come to Spain in 1987, mainly to escape Orinoco Flow and the like.
Watching the 1988 Xmas Top of the Pops special on 19:43 - Dec 21 with 1596 viewsIllinoisblue

Watching the 1988 Xmas Top of the Pops special on 19:38 - Dec 21 by BarcaBlue

I left England to come to Spain in 1987, mainly to escape Orinoco Flow and the like.

Now it’s Wet Wet Wet murdering With a Little Help from My Friends. Christ it’s awful.

62 - 78 - 81

Watching the 1988 Xmas Top of the Pops special on 19:46 - Dec 21 with 1576 viewsIllinoisblue

Watching the 1988 Xmas Top of the Pops special on 19:37 - Dec 21 by Dubtractor

Agree and disagree.

The stuff at the top of the charts in the late 80s/early 90s was utter toss, more so than ever, but further down the charts there was some really interesting stuff going on. The impact of rave culture coming into the mainstream, UK indie before britpop consumed it, the wave of hip hop that included de la soul and tribe called quest.

A fair point. Should have clarified TOTP of this era is bad bad. Gary Davies has a big snout but that’s offset by Anthea Turner looking cute

62 - 78 - 81

Watching the 1988 Xmas Top of the Pops special on 19:46 - Dec 21 with 1571 viewsBarcaBlue

Watching the 1988 Xmas Top of the Pops special on 19:43 - Dec 21 by Illinoisblue

Now it’s Wet Wet Wet murdering With a Little Help from My Friends. Christ it’s awful.

I left without a moment to spare.
We've got 86 on here right now..... on 19:49 - Dec 21 with 1560 viewsBloots

Watching the 1988 Xmas Top of the Pops special on 19:43 - Dec 21 by Illinoisblue

....things have gone downhill fast.

Pet Shop Boys, to Madonna, to Chris De Burgh.

I may kick the dog.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Login to get fewer ads

Watching the 1988 Xmas Top of the Pops special on 19:50 - Dec 21 with 1558 viewsIllinoisblue

Watching the 1988 Xmas Top of the Pops special on 19:46 - Dec 21 by BarcaBlue

I left without a moment to spare.

Oh, here’s Kirsty and the Pogues to wash away the filth of Cliff’s mistletoe and wine.

62 - 78 - 81

We've got 86 on here right now..... on 19:52 - Dec 21 with 1547 viewsIllinoisblue

We've got 86 on here right now..... on 19:49 - Dec 21 by Bloots

....things have gone downhill fast.

Pet Shop Boys, to Madonna, to Chris De Burgh.

I may kick the dog.

That’s a slippery slope. I may have to yet again watch the Chas n Dave Christmas Special. Filmed in a pub, people drinking and smoking and dancing. Eric Clapton guest appearance and some Goodnight Irene. Magical.

62 - 78 - 81

Watching the 1988 Xmas Top of the Pops special on 20:01 - Dec 21 with 1499 viewsPendejo

Watching the 1988 Xmas Top of the Pops special on 19:50 - Dec 21 by Illinoisblue

Oh, here’s Kirsty and the Pogues to wash away the filth of Cliff’s mistletoe and wine.

And they say ***** ****** hid in plain sight...

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Watching the 1988 Xmas Top of the Pops special on 20:11 - Dec 21 with 1478 viewsfactual_blue

Watching the 1988 Xmas Top of the Pops special on 19:38 - Dec 21 by BarcaBlue

'I left England to come to Spain in 1987, mainly to escape the Flying Squad'.

There, put it right for you.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Watching the 1988 Xmas Top of the Pops special on 20:35 - Dec 21 with 1432 viewsfabian_illness

I’m not having this.

There’s not one of you moaning that hasn’t karaoke’d ‘I’m too sexy for my shirt’ or bought a jive bunny album.
Watching the 1988 Xmas Top of the Pops special on 20:52 - Dec 21 with 1400 viewsFtnfwest

Was about 1987 that I lost interest in ‘new music’. Not exclusively but there’s very little after then that I’m particularly keen on.
Watching the 1988 Xmas Top of the Pops special on 21:21 - Dec 21 with 1358 viewsBluespeed225

Watching the 1988 Xmas Top of the Pops special on 19:36 - Dec 21 by gainsboroughblue

86 onwards was dreadful. Especially when Stock, Aitken and Waterman took hold. I had already made the switch to watching the chart show by then, basing my purchases on the indie chart run down, as well as listening to the Peel show.

I admit harbouring a soft spot for SAW, just good old Pop, AND, to make it funnier they used to pee of the music press as they were an actual proper Indie label, no a subsidiary of a major. It’s overblown ‘rock ballads’ that ruin that era. Luckily, salvation was to be found as a melting pot of old punks, Mods, Casuals, New Romos’, assorted crusties and other street strays found solace in various fields!
Watching the 1988 Xmas Top of the Pops special on 21:22 - Dec 21 with 1355 viewsDubtractor

Watching the 1988 Xmas Top of the Pops special on 21:21 - Dec 21 by Bluespeed225

I admit harbouring a soft spot for SAW, just good old Pop, AND, to make it funnier they used to pee of the music press as they were an actual proper Indie label, no a subsidiary of a major. It’s overblown ‘rock ballads’ that ruin that era. Luckily, salvation was to be found as a melting pot of old punks, Mods, Casuals, New Romos’, assorted crusties and other street strays found solace in various fields!

SAW were 100% better than terrible rock ballads, but that is a pretty low bar tbh.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Watching the 1988 Xmas Top of the Pops special on 21:27 - Dec 21 with 1347 viewsCheltenham_Blue

First time I had sex was to Orinoco Flow. I was glad it was only 64BPM to be honest.
Anything quicker and we'd have both been exceptionally disappointed rather than just one of us.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Watching the 1988 Xmas Top of the Pops special on 21:37 - Dec 21 with 1325 viewsIllinoisblue

Watching the 1988 Xmas Top of the Pops special on 21:27 - Dec 21 by Cheltenham_Blue

First time I had sex was to Orinoco Flow. I was glad it was only 64BPM to be honest.
Anything quicker and we'd have both been exceptionally disappointed rather than just one of us.

I hope you arrived at the sail away sail away sail away moment

62 - 78 - 81

Watching the 1988 Xmas Top of the Pops special on 22:13 - Dec 21 with 1273 viewsTrequartista

1988 is the year pop music effectively died and dance music assumed the crown.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Watching the 1988 Xmas Top of the Pops special on 22:51 - Dec 21 with 1226 viewspositivity

Watching the 1988 Xmas Top of the Pops special on 20:52 - Dec 21 by Ftnfwest

Was about 1987 that I lost interest in ‘new music’. Not exclusively but there’s very little after then that I’m particularly keen on.

you never got over liberace's death?

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Watching the 1988 Xmas Top of the Pops special on 23:24 - Dec 21 with 1205 viewsBasingstokeBlue

Music died in 1985.

Poll: What do you think of the three stars being relocated?

Watching the 1988 Xmas Top of the Pops special on 23:26 - Dec 21 with 1201 viewsEnigma_Blue

Not only was the music generally bad but as Town fans we also had to ensure the John Duncan era. Although compared to the pop music of today & the football being served up now to us Town fans those were halcyon days
[Post edited 21 Dec 2021 23:26]
Watching the 1988 Xmas Top of the Pops special on 00:15 - Dec 22 with 1157 viewsstonojnr

Watching the 1988 Xmas Top of the Pops special on 23:24 - Dec 21 by BasingstokeBlue

Music died in 1985.

I thought that was generally agreed to be 1959
Watching the 1988 Xmas Top of the Pops special on 01:25 - Dec 22 with 1108 viewsSwansea_Blue

Watching the 1988 Xmas Top of the Pops special on 19:37 - Dec 21 by Whos_blue

Apart from the rave scene, The Stone Roses and The Wonderstuff!

The Charlatans
Primal Scream
Inspiral Carpets
Nirvana
Pixies
Lightning Seeds
Blur
Jan’s Addiction
GnR
Alice in Chains
Soundgarden
Stone Temple Pilots
James
Sisters of Mercy
The Cult

But apart from the rise of UK Indie bands, US grunge, loads of global rock bands being in their prime, and the rave scene, WHAT did the late 80s ever do for music? Even the pop chart sh*t had some good stuff like Michael Jackson (most was rubbish though, granted).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Watching the 1988 Xmas Top of the Pops special on 08:12 - Dec 22 with 1036 viewsElephantintheRoom

My parents said the same thing when we were watching top of the ops in the 60s.... which from memory included groovey acts like Val Doonican, Russ Conway and Matt Monroe

Could be worse - imagine if it was on now.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024