Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Awww, poor little sausage.... 07:28 - Dec 22 with 2392 viewsbobbyramsey

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59750312
Awww, poor little sausage.... on 07:36 - Dec 22 with 2117 viewsazuremerlangus

Tough at the top.

Give it all up and work in the NHS on a COVID ward instead.

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

Awww, poor little sausage.... on 07:55 - Dec 22 with 2046 viewsMattinLondon

Awww, poor little sausage.... on 07:36 - Dec 22 by azuremerlangus

Tough at the top.

Give it all up and work in the NHS on a COVID ward instead.

That’s a silly thing to say.

He has a point - professional sport is highly intense and takes its toll on the body. They have to be properly rested or they’ll just pick-up injuries.
Awww, poor little sausage.... on 08:25 - Dec 22 with 1953 viewsFrankfurtBlue

He says that they have nobody to look after their interests. Maybe I am missing something, but why does the PFA exist?
Awww, poor little sausage.... on 08:42 - Dec 22 with 1868 viewsazuremerlangus

Awww, poor little sausage.... on 07:55 - Dec 22 by MattinLondon

That’s a silly thing to say.

He has a point - professional sport is highly intense and takes its toll on the body. They have to be properly rested or they’ll just pick-up injuries.

I was being very simplistic in my response to the OP…

Football at that level is hardly a minimum wage, sweat-shop type of industry with no physical or mental support for its workers. These people are greatly rewarded and are well looked after compared to many others - surely they are well-place to put up with the challenges that come with it?

Awww, poor little sausage.... on 08:43 - Dec 22 with 1862 viewsChurchman

Awww, poor little sausage.... on 08:25 - Dec 22 by FrankfurtBlue

He says that they have nobody to look after their interests. Maybe I am missing something, but why does the PFA exist?

Good point. I don’t think what he has to say holds too much water for me. Particularly at the top of the game. The Chelsea manager saying he has to take risks with player fitness is nonsense. He chooses to do that, given he has a huge squad and can buy anyone.

The care of players at the higher levels has never been better and personally,I think he’d have been better to keep his concerns within the game (PFA). An area that perhaps is of more concern is mental health, particularly after players finish. I’m thinking of Dalian and Justin Fs sad situations here. There’s plenty of money in the game to do more in this area.
Awww, poor little sausage.... on 08:49 - Dec 22 with 1830 viewsBloomBlue

The easy solution he should calling for is scrap the champions league and revert it back to a knockout competition that will reduce some of the midweek games early in the season.
Awww, poor little sausage.... on 09:11 - Dec 22 with 1751 viewsJammyDodgerrr

A question worth asking. They just seem to hoard money and do nothing, really.

Many people won't like it, but he has a valid point. Whether they are well remunerated or not, they are an intense sport with a staggeringly short career, and one that can be even shorter if you get a bad injury, or keep breaking down. It is madness how much football we seem to have - beyond me why we haven't scrapped the League Cup yet.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Awww, poor little sausage.... on 09:17 - Dec 22 with 1719 viewsMattinLondon

Awww, poor little sausage.... on 09:11 - Dec 22 by JammyDodgerrr

A question worth asking. They just seem to hoard money and do nothing, really.

Many people won't like it, but he has a valid point. Whether they are well remunerated or not, they are an intense sport with a staggeringly short career, and one that can be even shorter if you get a bad injury, or keep breaking down. It is madness how much football we seem to have - beyond me why we haven't scrapped the League Cup yet.

The League Cup is pointless but still more worthy than the EFL Trophy thing. I’d always scrap FA Cup replays - just have extra time then penalties if the first game ends in a draw.
Login to get fewer ads

Awww, poor little sausage.... on 09:23 - Dec 22 with 1699 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Awww, poor little sausage.... on 09:17 - Dec 22 by MattinLondon

The League Cup is pointless but still more worthy than the EFL Trophy thing. I’d always scrap FA Cup replays - just have extra time then penalties if the first game ends in a draw.

Yes - agree. I actually like how the Carabao is run, straight to penalties and no replays, and all one legs. That should be the standard.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Awww, poor little sausage.... on 09:29 - Dec 22 with 1673 viewsArnieM

Awww, poor little sausage.... on 08:42 - Dec 22 by azuremerlangus

Football at that level is hardly a minimum wage, sweat-shop type of industry with no physical or mental support for its workers. These people are greatly rewarded and are well looked after compared to many others - surely they are well-place to put up with the challenges that come with it?

Or they certainly earn more than enough money to get “ support”.

I think real pressure comes in life when you have to make a daily decision to heat your home, feed yourself or your kids, or pay the bills to keep a roof over your head.

These bleating professional footballers make me sick !

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Awww, poor little sausage.... on 10:36 - Dec 22 with 1521 viewsHerbivore

To feather their own nest mainly, as far as I can tell.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Awww, poor little sausage.... on 10:39 - Dec 22 with 1502 viewsArnieM

Awww, poor little sausage.... on 10:36 - Dec 22 by Herbivore

To feather their own nest mainly, as far as I can tell.

Not surprised to see you post this one bit Herb. They’re not fit for purpose IMO.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Awww, poor little sausage.... on 10:40 - Dec 22 with 1496 viewsHerbivore

I'm not sure how earning a lot is going to stop your hamstring from pinging because you've been overplayed or how your bank balance protects you from the stresses of a high pressure job coupled with tight Covid restrictions to ensure you can carry on doing your job. I find this mentality really odd. Yes footballers get paid well, yes other people also face stresses and pressures and don't earn as much, that doesn't mean that what Henderson says isn't legitimate and should be sneered at as some are doing. I wouldn't fancy the life of a professional footballer right now to be completely honest.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Awww, poor little sausage.... on 10:43 - Dec 22 with 1483 viewsGuthrum

Awww, poor little sausage.... on 09:17 - Dec 22 by MattinLondon

The EFL Trophy is worthy, as a competition only open to lower-division clubs (or, at least, it used to be). Gives something which perennial 3rd and 4th-tier teams stand a chance of winning.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Awww, poor little sausage.... on 10:44 - Dec 22 with 1478 viewschicoazul

You’re acting like rich famous athletes don’t suffer from stress or fatigue because they’re rich famous athletes. This is “Alex Ferguson would have prevented Gazza from suffering crippling mental illness” all over again.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Awww, poor little sausage.... on 10:46 - Dec 22 with 1463 viewschicoazul

“I don't feel the players get the respect they deserve in terms of having somebody being able to speak for them independently and having the power to say actually this isn't right for player welfare."

This is definitely a shot at the PFA

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Awww, poor little sausage.... on 10:50 - Dec 22 with 1458 viewsGuthrum

Awww, poor little sausage.... on 08:49 - Dec 22 by BloomBlue

The easy solution he should calling for is scrap the champions league and revert it back to a knockout competition that will reduce some of the midweek games early in the season.

Perhaps also they should stop doing these preseason marketing tours of the US or Asia and scrap the "Club World Cup".

Once you're out of the Champions League, you're out, no dropping back into the Europa League. And ditch the Europa League Two, or whatever it's called.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Awww, poor little sausage.... on 11:11 - Dec 22 with 1375 viewsGarv

Like a lot of things it's very hard to judge unless you're in that situation. Obviously they're well rewarded but it's all relative isn't it?

If you earn £40k a year, are you not allowed to raise issues in your workplace or industry just because someone earning £15k has it worse?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Awww, poor little sausage.... on 11:23 - Dec 22 with 1326 viewsSE1blue

Jordan Henderson strikes me as one of footballs good guys and he’s raising this for the sake of all players welfare and the future of the game.

He clearly knows what he’s talking about and is one of a very few players able and willing to articulate that.

Good for him for pointing a finger at the PFA, Premier League and his employers - all of whom need to listen and should do more when hearing these concerns. When it comes to large salaries, players aren’t the only ones making good money from football…

It’s a complex issue but he’s doing the right thing in getting it out in the open.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Awww, poor little sausage.... on 11:36 - Dec 22 with 1252 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

They are wrapped up in cotton wool.

The reality is that the reason there is so much pressure for football to continue is that the players gigantic wages need to be paid, and its primarily the broadcast money which funds this.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Awww, poor little sausage.... on 11:46 - Dec 22 with 1206 viewsnoggin

If only he was rich enough to afford some help.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Awww, poor little sausage.... on 11:56 - Dec 22 with 1189 viewsazuremerlangus

Awww, poor little sausage.... on 10:44 - Dec 22 by chicoazul

You’re acting like rich famous athletes don’t suffer from stress or fatigue because they’re rich famous athletes. This is “Alex Ferguson would have prevented Gazza from suffering crippling mental illness” all over again.

I’m not acting like anything.

I never said they don’t suffer from stress and fatigue like everyone does - I’m just saying they are in a business where their support structures are better than most (or should if they are not) because there is the money to do so.

Awww, poor little sausage.... on 12:41 - Dec 22 with 1054 viewsDeano69

Have you actually read it?

Let me guess, he's paid millions so what is he moaning about?

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Awww, poor little sausage.... on 12:51 - Dec 22 with 1023 viewsHighgateBlue

He who pays the piper calls the tune. Television pays the piper, so television calls the tune. Henderson has taken plenty in this bargain.

The single greatest step forward for player welfare at this time would be for the lot of them to turn up and get a free vaccine from staff who genuinely put themselves in harm's way each day.
Awww, poor little sausage.... on 13:03 - Dec 22 with 979 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

If you're taking shots at pampered footballers who don't give back, Jordan Henderson really isn't the best target.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024