Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Omicron could be "just as severe as Delta" - Imperial College study 11:00 - Dec 22 with 2131 viewsRyorry

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Omicron could be "just as severe as Delta" - Imperial College study on 11:18 - Dec 22 with 2041 viewsTrequartista

Ironically UKHSA have just found that it is milder.

Unless the South African data is fictional i tend to believe the latter.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Omicron could be "just as severe as Delta" - Imperial College study on 11:21 - Dec 22 with 2000 viewshtb

Omicron could be "just as severe as Delta" - Imperial College study on 11:18 - Dec 22 by Trequartista

Ironically UKHSA have just found that it is milder.

Unless the South African data is fictional i tend to believe the latter.

Well if Imperial say it is no milder that is good news, they have been consistently wrong about everything!!
Omicron could be "just as severe as Delta" - Imperial College study on 11:27 - Dec 22 with 1944 viewsTrequartista

Omicron could be "just as severe as Delta" - Imperial College study on 11:21 - Dec 22 by htb

Well if Imperial say it is no milder that is good news, they have been consistently wrong about everything!!

To be fair the UKHSA report doesn’t prove Omicron is milder per se, just milder on our population cohort (which is more important). However studies are showing it replicates less in the lungs. When these studies have been peer reviewed we will then have proof.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Omicron could be "just as severe as Delta" - Imperial College study on 11:31 - Dec 22 with 1908 viewsBloomBlue

Could but not is

Not sure why we keep having these points on COVID and not wait for the actual facts based on the evidence I guess some experts have to justify their wages .
Omicron could be "just as severe as Delta" - Imperial College study on 11:32 - Dec 22 with 1899 viewsGlasgowBlue

Omicron could be "just as severe as Delta" - Imperial College study on 11:31 - Dec 22 by BloomBlue

Could but not is

Not sure why we keep having these points on COVID and not wait for the actual facts based on the evidence I guess some experts have to justify their wages .

Here is some evidence coming out of South Africa.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Omicron could be "just as severe as Delta" - Imperial College study on 11:33 - Dec 22 with 1880 viewsHerbivore

Omicron could be "just as severe as Delta" - Imperial College study on 11:31 - Dec 22 by BloomBlue

Could but not is

In a pandemic by the time you wait to have sufficient evidence and to have fully reviewed it, it is often too late.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Omicron could be "just as severe as Delta" - Imperial College study on 12:45 - Dec 22 with 1712 viewsRyorry

Omicron could be "just as severe as Delta" - Imperial College study on 11:32 - Dec 22 by GlasgowBlue

Here is some evidence coming out of South Africa.

Except that as epidemioligists have pointed out, SA are just coming into their summer and the average age of their population is younger.

I've no axe to grind in this, I just thought people might like to know, & OP header did say "could be".

Omicron could be "just as severe as Delta" - Imperial College study on 12:59 - Dec 22 with 1639 viewsEly_Blue

Omicron could be "just as severe as Delta" - Imperial College study on 12:45 - Dec 22 by Ryorry

Except that as epidemioligists have pointed out, SA are just coming into their summer and the average age of their population is younger.

I've no axe to grind in this, I just thought people might like to know, & OP header did say "could be".

Younger yes BUT less vaccinated!

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Login to get fewer ads

Omicron could be "just as severe as Delta" - Imperial College study on 19:56 - Dec 22 with 1427 viewsGlasgowBlue

Iron Lion Zion

Omicron could be "just as severe as Delta" - Imperial College study on 20:32 - Dec 22 with 1352 viewsLord_Lucan

Omicron could be "just as severe as Delta" - Imperial College study on 19:56 - Dec 22 by GlasgowBlue

The flash bad news spreaders get on my tits as much as the mental deniers. It's as if some people love to spread bad news so they can scare other people. There's a lot of Nervous Nellies out there so why make them panic more? Doesn't sit well with me at all. I see it on the news and I see it on platforms like this. Maybe I'm an oddball but even the other day when all our lot went out for a shin dig all we spoke about really was a pile of sh1te and got on with life the best we could. We didn't try and convince each other that the vaccine is a control drug and we didn't go round with a placard saying that the end was nigh

On a very serious note people should wind their neck in a bit otherwise they might put unnecessary fear into some very vulnerable people

When we heard of the new variant I am sure that most of us thought "Oh blimey" but the data out of South Africa was telling us to chill.

"The South African data should lead any coverage of Omicron, yet it has barely been reported. Though only 27 percent of the country is fully vaccinated, less than two percent of new cases are requiring hospitalisation. And that number is undoubtedly too high, since many reported Covid hospitalisations were admitted for reasons other than Covid."

Back when Covid reared its head a lot of people had it but didn't know and will never know. Now we are in a situation where everyone is testing constantly yet we raise an eyebrow when there are more positive tests. I mean, it's like something out of The life of Brian.

If someone were to say " We have got to live with it and be careful" they will get zammed by people who expect a bloody permanent lock down - although God knows where they will be able to buy their food as everyone would have gone bust.

Footnote from a mask wearing triple jabber - Follow the data
[Post edited 22 Dec 2021 20:36]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Omicron could be "just as severe as Delta" - Imperial College study on 20:36 - Dec 22 with 1327 viewsjas0999

Nope. Looks like it’s mild. A cold.
Omicron could be "just as severe as Delta" - Imperial College study on 20:38 - Dec 22 with 1321 viewsazuremerlangus

Omicron could be "just as severe as Delta" - Imperial College study on 20:32 - Dec 22 by Lord_Lucan

The flash bad news spreaders get on my tits as much as the mental deniers. It's as if some people love to spread bad news so they can scare other people. There's a lot of Nervous Nellies out there so why make them panic more? Doesn't sit well with me at all. I see it on the news and I see it on platforms like this. Maybe I'm an oddball but even the other day when all our lot went out for a shin dig all we spoke about really was a pile of sh1te and got on with life the best we could. We didn't try and convince each other that the vaccine is a control drug and we didn't go round with a placard saying that the end was nigh

On a very serious note people should wind their neck in a bit otherwise they might put unnecessary fear into some very vulnerable people

When we heard of the new variant I am sure that most of us thought "Oh blimey" but the data out of South Africa was telling us to chill.

"The South African data should lead any coverage of Omicron, yet it has barely been reported. Though only 27 percent of the country is fully vaccinated, less than two percent of new cases are requiring hospitalisation. And that number is undoubtedly too high, since many reported Covid hospitalisations were admitted for reasons other than Covid."

Back when Covid reared its head a lot of people had it but didn't know and will never know. Now we are in a situation where everyone is testing constantly yet we raise an eyebrow when there are more positive tests. I mean, it's like something out of The life of Brian.

If someone were to say " We have got to live with it and be careful" they will get zammed by people who expect a bloody permanent lock down - although God knows where they will be able to buy their food as everyone would have gone bust.

Footnote from a mask wearing triple jabber - Follow the data
[Post edited 22 Dec 2021 20:36]

Still early days with this variant.

In the meantime I’m carrying on with the usual drills and being careful until told otherwise.

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

Omicron could be "just as severe as Delta" - Imperial College study on 20:43 - Dec 22 with 1286 viewsLord_Lucan

Omicron could be "just as severe as Delta" - Imperial College study on 20:38 - Dec 22 by azuremerlangus

Still early days with this variant.

In the meantime I’m carrying on with the usual drills and being careful until told otherwise.

And that's just the way it should be. Carry on and be safe.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Omicron could be "just as severe as Delta" - Imperial College study on 20:50 - Dec 22 with 1264 viewsRyorry

As I said earlier, I posted it purely for information, thinking some people might wish to know. I have zero axe to grind about it. If some people didn't wish to know, they could just ignore it (and me).

Omicron could be "just as severe as Delta" - Imperial College study on 21:11 - Dec 22 with 1201 viewsGlasgowBlue

Omicron could be "just as severe as Delta" - Imperial College study on 20:50 - Dec 22 by Ryorry

As I said earlier, I posted it purely for information, thinking some people might wish to know. I have zero axe to grind about it. If some people didn't wish to know, they could just ignore it (and me).

Sadly, the link you posted was before the Imperial study had been published and the headline from the FT was misleading.

Now the Imperial study has been reported it is important to actually clarify what is in it.

Also good data from France showing length of stay in hospital is considerably less with a omicron than delta.

And more positive news from Up here.

Now everybody, go and get boosted.
[Post edited 22 Dec 2021 21:15]

Iron Lion Zion

Omicron could be "just as severe as Delta" - Imperial College study on 21:20 - Dec 22 with 1154 viewschicoazul

Has Ferguson made a single accurate prediction in the entire pandemic?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Omicron could be "just as severe as Delta" - Imperial College study on 21:24 - Dec 22 with 1143 viewsPinewoodblue

Omicron could be "just as severe as Delta" - Imperial College study on 21:11 - Dec 22 by GlasgowBlue

Sadly, the link you posted was before the Imperial study had been published and the headline from the FT was misleading.

Now the Imperial study has been reported it is important to actually clarify what is in it.

Also good data from France showing length of stay in hospital is considerably less with a omicron than delta.

And more positive news from Up here.

Now everybody, go and get boosted.
[Post edited 22 Dec 2021 21:15]

That Scottish study is based on just 15 cases that have resulted in Hospitalization. Seems mathematically they would have expected 43 to have to go to hospital from same number of Delta cases.

Worth pointing out none of those in the survey were classified as being in a vulnerable category.

Lets not rush to any conclusions as to how much safer the latest variant is.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Omicron could be "just as severe as Delta" - Imperial College study on 21:26 - Dec 22 with 1131 viewsGlasgowBlue

Omicron could be "just as severe as Delta" - Imperial College study on 21:24 - Dec 22 by Pinewoodblue

That Scottish study is based on just 15 cases that have resulted in Hospitalization. Seems mathematically they would have expected 43 to have to go to hospital from same number of Delta cases.

Worth pointing out none of those in the survey were classified as being in a vulnerable category.

Lets not rush to any conclusions as to how much safer the latest variant is.

We are seeing evidence from South Africa, the UK, the US and France that Omicron is milder than Delta.

Thats not rushing to conclusions.

Iron Lion Zion

Omicron could be "just as severe as Delta" - Imperial College study on 22:30 - Dec 22 with 993 viewsElderGrizzly

Omicron could be "just as severe as Delta" - Imperial College study on 21:26 - Dec 22 by GlasgowBlue

We are seeing evidence from South Africa, the UK, the US and France that Omicron is milder than Delta.

Thats not rushing to conclusions.

Guardian going quite bold with the milder line now

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/22/risk-of-hospital-stay-40-lower-wit
Omicron could be "just as severe as Delta" - Imperial College study on 22:43 - Dec 22 with 941 viewsFranzgumm

Omicron could be "just as severe as Delta" - Imperial College study on 22:30 - Dec 22 by ElderGrizzly

Guardian going quite bold with the milder line now

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/22/risk-of-hospital-stay-40-lower-wit

Fundamentally the problem, in this country, is we have a Government whose word we cannot trust on anything. So, we are left having to triangulate the evidence and reach our own conclusions, reliant on media outlets like (but not limited to) the Guardian.

As a result, we end up with threads like this where individuals make assessments based on their own knowledge which is, by and large, that of the lay person - including classics such as “it’s just a cold”. I really do despair, to be honest.

RIP Sir Bobby
Blog: [Blog] Where Has It All Gone Wrong?

Omicron could be "just as severe as Delta" - Imperial College study on 23:20 - Dec 22 with 868 viewsTractorWood

Omicron could be "just as severe as Delta" - Imperial College study on 22:43 - Dec 22 by Franzgumm

Fundamentally the problem, in this country, is we have a Government whose word we cannot trust on anything. So, we are left having to triangulate the evidence and reach our own conclusions, reliant on media outlets like (but not limited to) the Guardian.

As a result, we end up with threads like this where individuals make assessments based on their own knowledge which is, by and large, that of the lay person - including classics such as “it’s just a cold”. I really do despair, to be honest.

Maybe but as I said on the other thread yesterday. The Gov were waiting for data on the severity on Omicron. It is starting to appear, thankfully to be reasonably mild. The incredible vaccination and booster effort will hopefully enforce our resilience.

They can be slated for dozens or maybe hundreds of things over the last 2 years but I don't think they've handled Omicron that badly. Perhaps by more luck than judgement and the general public are in a decent groove of being responsible when the situation is getting serious.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Omicron could be "just as severe as Delta" - Imperial College study on 23:33 - Dec 22 with 835 viewsStokieBlue

Omicron could be "just as severe as Delta" - Imperial College study on 23:20 - Dec 22 by TractorWood

Maybe but as I said on the other thread yesterday. The Gov were waiting for data on the severity on Omicron. It is starting to appear, thankfully to be reasonably mild. The incredible vaccination and booster effort will hopefully enforce our resilience.

They can be slated for dozens or maybe hundreds of things over the last 2 years but I don't think they've handled Omicron that badly. Perhaps by more luck than judgement and the general public are in a decent groove of being responsible when the situation is getting serious.

Just listening to the research on this they still are unsure if it's actually milder or if we just have a baseline level of protection now from previous infections and vaccinations.

Either way it looks like good news with regards to the lowering of the probability of hospitalisations.

We could still see a lot of hospitalisations in January depending on various factors but given most are sensibly vaccinated that should make a difference. I still wouldn't be surprised to see some restrictions in place to try and stop cases absolutely rocketing but I guess we will see.

I'd keep masks all winter but I know most don't agree with me on that.

SB
[Post edited 22 Dec 2021 23:36]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024