Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Klopp, Pep and co. moaning about fixtures and player welfare 23:08 - Dec 23 with 3314 viewsIllinoisblue

Presumably they’ll be voicing the same concerns when their clubs jet off to the far-East, US and Dubai for money-making pre season friendless.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Klopp, Pep and co. moaning about fixtures and player welfare on 23:26 - Dec 23 with 2597 viewsTrequartista

The interim Man Utd manager has only been here 5 minutes and he is complaining about the existence of the League Cup, a competition his club exited 3 months ago.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Klopp, Pep and co. moaning about fixtures and player welfare on 00:08 - Dec 24 with 2536 viewsChurchman

Nah, they’ll be demanding more money from the lower leagues AND jetting off to the hand chopping regions of the world for more £££.

These clubs can field any number of teams. Here’s a good idea: don’t send 40 players on loan for their ‘development’ if you are worried about burning your first team players out.

They want it all and more besides.
Klopp, Pep and co. moaning about fixtures and player welfare on 06:56 - Dec 24 with 2395 viewsKeaneish

I saw that Pep hinted at possible player strikes! Multi-millionaires striking over welfare and there’s 2.5 million people in the UK reliant on food banks. Some perspective needed I think.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Klopp, Pep and co. moaning about fixtures and player welfare on 09:06 - Dec 24 with 2258 viewscressi

Klopp, Pep and co. moaning about fixtures and player welfare on 06:56 - Dec 24 by Keaneish

I saw that Pep hinted at possible player strikes! Multi-millionaires striking over welfare and there’s 2.5 million people in the UK reliant on food banks. Some perspective needed I think.

So much money They have lost their
Prospective of real life.
Many people out there struggling they make you cringe. Years ago players wages were in a semi alignment with the outside world not no more.
The top clubs have so many players I have no sympathy with any of them. Fantastic pitches facilities looked after medically and big fat wages Get on with it you big soft babies.
Klopp, Pep and co. moaning about fixtures and player welfare on 09:58 - Dec 24 with 2173 viewsBlueNomad

All these comments are bang on!
Klopp, Pep and co. moaning about fixtures and player welfare on 10:37 - Dec 24 with 2125 viewsChrisd

That doesn't apply then . I really like Klopp, he's been a really good addition to the EPL, but I find I see him moaning almost all the time after games over the slightest things in some cases and it's becoming rather tedious.
[Post edited 24 Dec 2021 10:45]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Klopp, Pep and co. moaning about fixtures and player welfare on 10:43 - Dec 24 with 2108 viewsallezlesbleus

Spot on!

The Premier League (along with Sky) is the worst thing that has happened to English football.

Money, money, money.
Klopp, Pep and co. moaning about fixtures and player welfare on 11:25 - Dec 24 with 2058 viewsMattinLondon

Klopp, Pep and co. moaning about fixtures and player welfare on 10:43 - Dec 24 by allezlesbleus

Spot on!

The Premier League (along with Sky) is the worst thing that has happened to English football.

Money, money, money.

But what was there before Sky? Rundown stadiums, mud baths as pitches, low attendances etc. I think that football has gone too far one way but let’s not kid ourselves that the game was in a good state prior to the advent of the PL.
Login to get fewer ads

Klopp, Pep and co. moaning about fixtures and player welfare on 13:06 - Dec 24 with 1966 viewsGarv

Seems I'm in the minority but hasn't he got a point?

Until the game on boxing day was confirmed as postponed they were asking them to play 26th and 28th. It's not outrageous to think that's unreasonable and excessive.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Klopp, Pep and co. moaning about fixtures and player welfare on 13:21 - Dec 24 with 1938 viewsChurchman

Klopp, Pep and co. moaning about fixtures and player welfare on 13:06 - Dec 24 by Garv

Seems I'm in the minority but hasn't he got a point?

Until the game on boxing day was confirmed as postponed they were asking them to play 26th and 28th. It's not outrageous to think that's unreasonable and excessive.

Not really. The game used to be played Christmas Day and the reverse fixture Boxing Day. Nobody expects that now, but if they are playing two days later instead of training, with squads the size of small armies, loan players all over the country and in Man City’s case about 100 youth teams, I don’t see the problem. They just want more and more in return for less at the expense of the game itself.
Klopp, Pep and co. moaning about fixtures and player welfare on 13:45 - Dec 24 with 1906 viewsjayessess

Klopp, Pep and co. moaning about fixtures and player welfare on 13:21 - Dec 24 by Churchman

Not really. The game used to be played Christmas Day and the reverse fixture Boxing Day. Nobody expects that now, but if they are playing two days later instead of training, with squads the size of small armies, loan players all over the country and in Man City’s case about 100 youth teams, I don’t see the problem. They just want more and more in return for less at the expense of the game itself.

From the players and managers' point of view in practice they'll have to put out their best team for both though, won't they? Their opposition won't put out reserve teams and both games are worth the same number of points.

Would it really be so egregious to just stick 72-hours recovery time down as a rule?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Klopp, Pep and co. moaning about fixtures and player welfare on 13:51 - Dec 24 with 1898 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Klopp, Pep and co. moaning about fixtures and player welfare on 09:06 - Dec 24 by cressi

So much money They have lost their
Prospective of real life.
Many people out there struggling they make you cringe. Years ago players wages were in a semi alignment with the outside world not no more.
The top clubs have so many players I have no sympathy with any of them. Fantastic pitches facilities looked after medically and big fat wages Get on with it you big soft babies.

Money is not everything. If the players really were putting their health at risk then they would have grounds for complaint regardless of their pay.

However, I do think this is being massively overplayed. The point about friendlies is very valid. Man Utd have gone for them mid-season in the past while arguing that they need a mid-season break. It is really about them saying the friendlies are more important than the Premier League. Nothing to do with too many fixtures. Why insist on more group stages in Europe and dropping into the lesser competition when they get knocked out?

It was also quite amusing hearing Smith (male one - and not Delia's other half) of nodge complaining about the uneven playing field. Didn't he realise that when he agreed to manage their squad?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Klopp, Pep and co. moaning about fixtures and player welfare on 17:48 - Dec 24 with 1739 viewsallezlesbleus

Klopp, Pep and co. moaning about fixtures and player welfare on 11:25 - Dec 24 by MattinLondon

But what was there before Sky? Rundown stadiums, mud baths as pitches, low attendances etc. I think that football has gone too far one way but let’s not kid ourselves that the game was in a good state prior to the advent of the PL.

Before Sky / PL, there were far more Saturday 3pm fixtures.

What % of PL clubs matches are played at 3pm on a Saturday now, over the course of a season?
Klopp, Pep and co. moaning about fixtures and player welfare on 18:04 - Dec 24 with 1713 viewsChurchman

Klopp, Pep and co. moaning about fixtures and player welfare on 13:45 - Dec 24 by jayessess

From the players and managers' point of view in practice they'll have to put out their best team for both though, won't they? Their opposition won't put out reserve teams and both games are worth the same number of points.

Would it really be so egregious to just stick 72-hours recovery time down as a rule?

The whole point of the league is to play through differing conditions and circumstances. As long as the rules apply to all, what’s the problem?

What’s next? How about ruling games cannot be played unless the top clubs have all their best players fit? People only want to see the best clubs and players surely? It doesn’t matter about the rest of the rubbish. Sky money isn’t about them and they’re lucky to get the crumbs. Absolute nonsense of course but the rate at which the game is tipping to the wealthy, nothing would surprise me. Super League anyone?

Two games in three days is no hardship to fit young men in my view. Overpaid managers of overpaid clubs who get every advantage going should be grateful and get on with it. In normal times I don’t hear any whining when there is a break and they go jetting off to the other side of the world for even more money. It’s not as if they have to pay 42 games any more on heavy pitches with heavy kit either.
[Post edited 24 Dec 2021 18:30]
Klopp, Pep and co. moaning about fixtures and player welfare on 18:27 - Dec 24 with 1678 viewsjas0999

Are these the same managers and clubs who have always wanted a winters break?
Klopp, Pep and co. moaning about fixtures and player welfare on 18:37 - Dec 24 with 1660 viewsHerbivore

Klopp, Pep and co. moaning about fixtures and player welfare on 17:48 - Dec 24 by allezlesbleus

Before Sky / PL, there were far more Saturday 3pm fixtures.

What % of PL clubs matches are played at 3pm on a Saturday now, over the course of a season?

If more 3pm kick offs is the main plus of the pre-Premier League era I'm not sure that's really a huge endorsement.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Klopp, Pep and co. moaning about fixtures and player welfare on 19:36 - Dec 24 with 1608 viewsitfcsuth

I do think going 26th & 28th is a little bit ridiculous.
Klopp, Pep and co. moaning about fixtures and player welfare on 19:42 - Dec 24 with 1602 viewsitfcsuth

Klopp, Pep and co. moaning about fixtures and player welfare on 23:26 - Dec 23 by Trequartista

The interim Man Utd manager has only been here 5 minutes and he is complaining about the existence of the League Cup, a competition his club exited 3 months ago.

I think he has a valid point.

I think the Carabao Cup has become nothing more than a money making vehicle to the EFL.

The EFL receive £6M per year under their current contract with Carabao, totalling £42M over the full contract.

They reward the winners £100,000. That doesn’t add up to me. When you compare to the FA Cup which pays £1.8M for the winner.

I do think it should be just FA Cup as the domestic.
Klopp, Pep and co. moaning about fixtures and player welfare on 20:04 - Dec 24 with 1573 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Klopp, Pep and co. moaning about fixtures and player welfare on 19:42 - Dec 24 by itfcsuth

I think he has a valid point.

I think the Carabao Cup has become nothing more than a money making vehicle to the EFL.

The EFL receive £6M per year under their current contract with Carabao, totalling £42M over the full contract.

They reward the winners £100,000. That doesn’t add up to me. When you compare to the FA Cup which pays £1.8M for the winner.

I do think it should be just FA Cup as the domestic.

How much does sponsorship of the FA Cup raise and where does the rest of the money from the League Cup go?

There was a time where the difference in prestige of the two trophies would suggest around a 20-fold difference in prize money would be about right. Now, I am surprised there is as much as that for the FA Cup which seems to have been devalued as well in more recent years (or is that just because we don't bother competing in it?).

Most top teams don't put out a full side (or even anything close to it) in the early rounds of those competitions anyway.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Klopp, Pep and co. moaning about fixtures and player welfare on 21:34 - Dec 24 with 1515 viewsallezlesbleus

Klopp, Pep and co. moaning about fixtures and player welfare on 18:37 - Dec 24 by Herbivore

If more 3pm kick offs is the main plus of the pre-Premier League era I'm not sure that's really a huge endorsement.

Some fans prefer to go and watch football in the flesh. Southampton away to Newcastle in a 5pm kick-off on a Sunday doesn't make it easy for Saints fans.........but never mind, as long as loads of plastic fans can "support" "their" team by watching them on tele, all over the world, then that is great for English football.
Klopp, Pep and co. moaning about fixtures and player welfare on 22:41 - Dec 24 with 1459 viewsjayessess

Klopp, Pep and co. moaning about fixtures and player welfare on 18:04 - Dec 24 by Churchman

The whole point of the league is to play through differing conditions and circumstances. As long as the rules apply to all, what’s the problem?

What’s next? How about ruling games cannot be played unless the top clubs have all their best players fit? People only want to see the best clubs and players surely? It doesn’t matter about the rest of the rubbish. Sky money isn’t about them and they’re lucky to get the crumbs. Absolute nonsense of course but the rate at which the game is tipping to the wealthy, nothing would surprise me. Super League anyone?

Two games in three days is no hardship to fit young men in my view. Overpaid managers of overpaid clubs who get every advantage going should be grateful and get on with it. In normal times I don’t hear any whining when there is a break and they go jetting off to the other side of the world for even more money. It’s not as if they have to pay 42 games any more on heavy pitches with heavy kit either.
[Post edited 24 Dec 2021 18:30]

What do you mean "what's next"? Why would anything be "next"? I don't see what dynamic it's supposed to unleash if you just mandated 72-hours between football matches.

Klopp, Pep and co. moaning about fixtures and player welfare on 22:51 - Dec 24 with 1452 viewsRamRob

If only they had a big squad they could pick a team from for different matches so the same 11 didn't have to play every match. Maybe these managers should think about what damage they are doing to these players by picking the same guys for 2 games in three days

Poll: What should be the music when opposition score?

Klopp, Pep and co. moaning about fixtures and player welfare on 00:09 - Dec 25 with 1394 viewsHerbivore

Klopp, Pep and co. moaning about fixtures and player welfare on 21:34 - Dec 24 by allezlesbleus

Some fans prefer to go and watch football in the flesh. Southampton away to Newcastle in a 5pm kick-off on a Sunday doesn't make it easy for Saints fans.........but never mind, as long as loads of plastic fans can "support" "their" team by watching them on tele, all over the world, then that is great for English football.

Average attendances are way higher now than they were before the start of the Prem so I'm not really sure what your point is.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Klopp, Pep and co. moaning about fixtures and player welfare on 00:18 - Dec 25 with 1381 viewsChurchman

Klopp, Pep and co. moaning about fixtures and player welfare on 22:41 - Dec 24 by jayessess

What do you mean "what's next"? Why would anything be "next"? I don't see what dynamic it's supposed to unleash if you just mandated 72-hours between football matches.

What’s next is the big five or six clubs engineering things even more their way. In the league and FA Cup, these clubs don’t play anything like their first team until semi finals/final. Hell, even mid table L1 fodder like ourselves don’t.

Scrap the league cup if that is what 92 clubs want but not at the behest of half a dozen clubs creaming off the best of everything and employing goodness knows how many professionals and a loan system that does more harm than good to the game. If there is a winter break how many of these clubs will wind up in the Far East or head chopper lands playing for big lumps of £££? ‘Warm up games’’keeping the lads fit’ etc. yeah, right.

What next? A super league is coming. A Premier League with no relegation with little leagues of feeder clubs is coming. Are you interested in Ipswich Town being West Ham’s or Norwich City’s little feeder club? I’m not. This speculative opinion is based on the direction of travel based since gate receipts were no longer shared in the early 80s.

If people sympathise with the poor hard done by Liverpools, Man Us, Citehs and Chelsea’s fine. I don’t. The trouble is, they run the game and make the rules. The lickspittle blazers at the FA are happy with their lot so alls well. For some. There is no equalisation process as there is in in some American sport like NFL, because it doesn't serve the interests of the above clubs. That saddens me because it weakens the greatest team game in the world. Just a view.
Klopp, Pep and co. moaning about fixtures and player welfare on 00:39 - Dec 25 with 1367 viewsjayessess

Klopp, Pep and co. moaning about fixtures and player welfare on 00:18 - Dec 25 by Churchman

What’s next is the big five or six clubs engineering things even more their way. In the league and FA Cup, these clubs don’t play anything like their first team until semi finals/final. Hell, even mid table L1 fodder like ourselves don’t.

Scrap the league cup if that is what 92 clubs want but not at the behest of half a dozen clubs creaming off the best of everything and employing goodness knows how many professionals and a loan system that does more harm than good to the game. If there is a winter break how many of these clubs will wind up in the Far East or head chopper lands playing for big lumps of £££? ‘Warm up games’’keeping the lads fit’ etc. yeah, right.

What next? A super league is coming. A Premier League with no relegation with little leagues of feeder clubs is coming. Are you interested in Ipswich Town being West Ham’s or Norwich City’s little feeder club? I’m not. This speculative opinion is based on the direction of travel based since gate receipts were no longer shared in the early 80s.

If people sympathise with the poor hard done by Liverpools, Man Us, Citehs and Chelsea’s fine. I don’t. The trouble is, they run the game and make the rules. The lickspittle blazers at the FA are happy with their lot so alls well. For some. There is no equalisation process as there is in in some American sport like NFL, because it doesn't serve the interests of the above clubs. That saddens me because it weakens the greatest team game in the world. Just a view.

What's the connection between players not wanting to play twice in 48 hours and the European Super League?

Not even particularly clear that this is "big clubs engineering things their way". Does it benefit Southampton to play West Ham and Spurs within 48 hours? Or Crystal Palace to plays Spurs then Norwich? You'd imagine Spurs are much more likely to be able to cope with those fixtures than Palace or Southampton are.
[Post edited 25 Dec 2021 0:46]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024