Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Test Centres 12:20 - Dec 24 with 1762 viewsSwailsey

Question!

Why is it that in Ipswich (and I assume UK?), we test ourselves even in the centres, but overseas other do it for you?

I’ve had 7 PCRs and have always had to do it myself.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Test Centres on 12:33 - Dec 24 with 1701 viewsIllinoisblue

Where I am, during 2020 there was a concert venue converted to a massive drive-thru test center where the staff did the swab up the nose for you. Those centers closed down (cos we all thought it was over!) and now a lot of testing is via pharmacies, most of which have a drive-thru option where they give you the swab in a sealed bag, you shove it up your nose yourself and then put it back in bag and hand it over.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Test Centres on 12:45 - Dec 24 with 1648 viewsFixed_It

I'm quite happy shoving the swab up my own nose rather than a complete stranger doing it, thank you very much - even if they do know what they're doing!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Test Centres on 12:50 - Dec 24 with 1619 viewsNthsuffolkblue

As stated above we have had people do them. I would assume it is safer for them and for those testing if they are self-administered. Perhaps there is an element of expecting people to have learnt how to do them properly. I know when my Mum had one done to her she said it was very uncomfortable and it felt like they were shoving it up too far. Is that a sign that the self-administered ones aren't being done properly, or that it is tricky to judge when doing it to someone else?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Test Centres on 12:55 - Dec 24 with 1607 viewsSwailsey

Test Centres on 12:50 - Dec 24 by Nthsuffolkblue

As stated above we have had people do them. I would assume it is safer for them and for those testing if they are self-administered. Perhaps there is an element of expecting people to have learnt how to do them properly. I know when my Mum had one done to her she said it was very uncomfortable and it felt like they were shoving it up too far. Is that a sign that the self-administered ones aren't being done properly, or that it is tricky to judge when doing it to someone else?

I think that’s the thing. I was wondering how less effective it is doing it yourself.

I think it’s just paranoia that I’ve had 2x PCR results that are negative in the last week; but I’m convinced they are wrong because I didn’t put it up my nose far enough. Who knows.

I have OCD. Soz.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Test Centres on 13:02 - Dec 24 with 1572 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Test Centres on 12:55 - Dec 24 by Swailsey

I think that’s the thing. I was wondering how less effective it is doing it yourself.

I think it’s just paranoia that I’ve had 2x PCR results that are negative in the last week; but I’m convinced they are wrong because I didn’t put it up my nose far enough. Who knows.

I have OCD. Soz.

I have several times wondered if I do them properly but I have had a positive lateral flow, PCR and a PCR that I did to one of my children so they must have been done right. I also always get a clear line.

If you didn't get a sample at all, you would not get a line on the control mark. I wouldn't worry about whether you are doing them properly. The fact that you are worrying about it suggests you likely are.

However, there is a degree of imprecision in the results so if you have symptoms be cautious that they might still be Covid even if you have tested negative.

Test Centres on 13:04 - Dec 24 with 1562 viewsSwailsey

Test Centres on 13:02 - Dec 24 by Nthsuffolkblue

I have several times wondered if I do them properly but I have had a positive lateral flow, PCR and a PCR that I did to one of my children so they must have been done right. I also always get a clear line.

If you didn't get a sample at all, you would not get a line on the control mark. I wouldn't worry about whether you are doing them properly. The fact that you are worrying about it suggests you likely are.

However, there is a degree of imprecision in the results so if you have symptoms be cautious that they might still be Covid even if you have tested negative.

Thank you, that's reassuring.

I’ve had 2x PCRs and all negative lateral flows. I think I’ve maybe got a slight cold, but also I have bad sinuses anyway and I’ve definitely messed them up doing so many tests.

I think I’m just looking for a reason to worry and to sabotage.
[Post edited 24 Dec 2021 13:07]

Test Centres on 13:20 - Dec 24 with 1486 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Test Centres on 13:04 - Dec 24 by Swailsey

Thank you, that's reassuring.

I’ve had 2x PCRs and all negative lateral flows. I think I’ve maybe got a slight cold, but also I have bad sinuses anyway and I’ve definitely messed them up doing so many tests.

I think I’m just looking for a reason to worry and to sabotage.
[Post edited 24 Dec 2021 13:07]

I would treat it as you would a normal cold and just be extra cautious if meeting up with someone you know is especially vulnerable. There are colds and bugs going round (which does make you wonder about the effectiveness of preventative measures we are taking!).

Test Centres on 13:22 - Dec 24 with 1477 viewsFixed_It

Test Centres on 13:02 - Dec 24 by Nthsuffolkblue

Same here. When I had covid it was picked up by both the LFT and PCR - and I didn't shove the swab into my brains!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Login to get fewer ads

Test Centres on 14:03 - Dec 24 with 1359 viewsSwailsey

Test Centres on 13:22 - Dec 24 by Fixed_It

Same here. When I had covid it was picked up by both the LFT and PCR - and I didn't shove the swab into my brains!

Fair! Thanks both

Test Centres on 16:21 - Dec 24 with 1227 viewsrgp1

I have OCD. Soz.

I'm afraid the paranoia has been caused by the Stalinist UK health security agency.
Test Centres on 21:22 - Dec 24 with 1049 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Test Centres on 16:21 - Dec 24 by rgp1

I'm afraid the paranoia has been caused by the Stalinist UK health security agency.

Just try, for once, to dial it back a little bit and you might be able to have a reasonable discussion.

Do you even have a clue what "Stalinist" means?

Have you read "The Gulag Archipelago", or any of Solzhenitsyn's other books?

Asking people to take a test regularly, particularly if they will be meeting vulnerable people, is not "Stalinism".

10 days isolation in your own home, when tested and proven to have a deadly virus, for the protection of others, is not the Gulag.
Test Centres on 11:57 - Dec 25 with 826 viewsrgp1

Test Centres on 21:22 - Dec 24 by ArnoldMoorhen

Just try, for once, to dial it back a little bit and you might be able to have a reasonable discussion.

Do you even have a clue what "Stalinist" means?

Have you read "The Gulag Archipelago", or any of Solzhenitsyn's other books?

Asking people to take a test regularly, particularly if they will be meeting vulnerable people, is not "Stalinism".

10 days isolation in your own home, when tested and proven to have a deadly virus, for the protection of others, is not the Gulag.

Funny how it's only reasoned discussion when the argument comes from the left! Its not test refusal, covid denial or anti vax, but many members of the scientific community are well known communists who are using the pandemic for their own political means, unfortunately many on the left refuse to accept this.
Test Centres on 12:03 - Dec 25 with 810 viewsTractorWood

I have OCD. Soz.

Chill dude. I've you can catch it on a door knob etc a swab up the nose is going to find it especially if it's sent to a lab for analysis.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Test Centres on 12:34 - Dec 25 with 763 viewsSwailsey

Test Centres on 12:03 - Dec 25 by TractorWood

Chill dude. I've you can catch it on a door knob etc a swab up the nose is going to find it especially if it's sent to a lab for analysis.

Thank you!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024