Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
2-0 down, lost the toss. Do or die ... 23:40 - Dec 25 with 6442 viewsXYZ

... big two hours for Joe Root and his team.
2-0 down, lost the toss. Do or die ... on 23:47 - Dec 25 with 2512 viewsBlueStreak

Series lost after session 2 today if it stays overcast. Crawley against the swinging ball lol. 18/2 then 30/3. 144 all out. Hope this comes back to bite me.
2-0 down, lost the toss. Do or die ... on 23:52 - Dec 25 with 2487 viewsXYZ

2-0 down, lost the toss. Do or die ... on 23:47 - Dec 25 by BlueStreak

Series lost after session 2 today if it stays overcast. Crawley against the swinging ball lol. 18/2 then 30/3. 144 all out. Hope this comes back to bite me.

Yep, pressure is certainly on.
2-0 down, lost the toss. Do or die ... on 23:52 - Dec 25 with 2485 viewsFtnfwest

2-0 down, lost the toss. Do or die ... on 23:47 - Dec 25 by BlueStreak

I’d go with all out by tea, although have a slight feeling they may put up slightly more of a fight this time
2-0 down, lost the toss. Do or die ... on 23:58 - Dec 25 with 2469 viewsZXBlue

2-0 down, lost the toss. Do or die ... on 23:52 - Dec 25 by Ftnfwest

I’d go with all out by tea, although have a slight feeling they may put up slightly more of a fight this time

Sounds a dodgy toss to lose
2-0 down, lost the toss. Do or die ... on 00:10 - Dec 26 with 2456 viewsgainsboroughblue

And we're off.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

2-0 down, lost the toss. Do or die ... on 00:23 - Dec 26 with 2433 viewsGogs

Don't get any hopes up. We've got no chance if you ask me. It's not a brilliant Australia team, but they're plenty good enough for this England team in their own conditions. England have only won 3 series in Australia in my lifetime, and I'm 47. They're not coming back from 2-0 down.
2-0 down, lost the toss. Do or die ... on 00:38 - Dec 26 with 2406 viewsRyorry

2-0 down, lost the toss. Do or die ... on 23:58 - Dec 25 by ZXBlue

Sounds a dodgy toss to lose

Seems to me there's something fundamentally wrong with a sport if the outcome of a major match can be decided by the toss or draw, before the game itself has even started.

Maybe for an Ashes series where one side is already 2-0 down, the trailing side could be awarded the automatic right to choose whether to bat/bowl? Even most Australians would prefer to see something of a contest, I think.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

2-0 down, lost the toss. Do or die ... on 00:39 - Dec 26 with 2399 viewsGeefunk

Worst england batting line up for the last 30 years
Login to get fewer ads

2-0 down, lost the toss. Do or die ... on 00:41 - Dec 26 with 2386 viewsFtnfwest

2-0 down, lost the toss. Do or die ... on 00:38 - Dec 26 by Ryorry

Seems to me there's something fundamentally wrong with a sport if the outcome of a major match can be decided by the toss or draw, before the game itself has even started.

Maybe for an Ashes series where one side is already 2-0 down, the trailing side could be awarded the automatic right to choose whether to bat/bowl? Even most Australians would prefer to see something of a contest, I think.

We’re the ones who want to see a contest, they just want to grind us into the dirt, and they are!
2-0 down, lost the toss. Do or die ... on 00:43 - Dec 26 with 2383 viewsgainsboroughblue

Is it time for maybe Root to open again? I know he likes batting at 4 but let's be honest here, he sees more of the new ball than the openers.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

2-0 down, lost the toss. Do or die ... on 00:55 - Dec 26 with 2351 viewsRyorry

2-0 down, lost the toss. Do or die ... on 00:41 - Dec 26 by Ftnfwest

We’re the ones who want to see a contest, they just want to grind us into the dirt, and they are!

Dunno, you might be right, but I suspect they'd like to see our torture dragged out over four or five days, rather than us being relatively quickly killed after 2!

Particularly if they've bought tickets for days 3-5, and were looking forward to their day out

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

2-0 down, lost the toss. Do or die ... on 01:17 - Dec 26 with 2323 viewsZXBlue

2-0 down, lost the toss. Do or die ... on 00:55 - Dec 26 by Ryorry

Dunno, you might be right, but I suspect they'd like to see our torture dragged out over four or five days, rather than us being relatively quickly killed after 2!

Particularly if they've bought tickets for days 3-5, and were looking forward to their day out

Whats the f ing point tbh.

Had enough of it.
2-0 down, lost the toss. Do or die ... on 03:19 - Dec 26 with 2275 viewsGeefunk

2-0 down, lost the toss. Do or die ... on 01:17 - Dec 26 by ZXBlue

Whats the f ing point tbh.

Had enough of it.

Dont know where they go from here, its the type of rebuold job that will take years.

Silverwood clearly has to go, not sure about stokes as captain, but its literally either root or stokes. No other choice which is testament to the terrible sutuation we are in
2-0 down, lost the toss. Do or die ... on 05:23 - Dec 26 with 2224 viewsChrisd

Doesn’t matter how much talking this England squad want to do, if they aren’t good enough, they aren’t good enough. For all the cricket we have played in this series I’d say we’ve won 4 sessions, 4! - it’s just not a fair contest!! Utterly shameful. For me, this ineptitude lies firmly at the ECB’s door with their insistence on pushing such nonsense like The 100 and taking their eye off the longer format of the game. It will be more of a surprise if we don’t lose 5-0, perhaps then they might be shamed into giving more attention and addressing the issues in the longer format in this country and stop pushing this white ball agenda.
[Post edited 26 Dec 2021 5:28]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

2-0 down, lost the toss. Do or die ... on 07:12 - Dec 26 with 2167 viewsBlueandTruesince82

You have to feel for Root, one of England's most talented batsman to ever stand at the crease and surrounded by this lot.

Said this would be 4 or 5 nil before a ball was balled and so it is.

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

2-0 down, lost the toss. Do or die ... on 07:30 - Dec 26 with 2123 viewsGeefunk

2-0 down, lost the toss. Do or die ... on 07:12 - Dec 26 by BlueandTruesince82

You have to feel for Root, one of England's most talented batsman to ever stand at the crease and surrounded by this lot.

Yeah gutted for root, just imagine his numbers if he didn't come in during the first 10 overs all the time. I knew Bairstow would get 30, always does..........guess rhats not a bad score for this shower......
2-0 down, lost the toss. Do or die ... on 07:44 - Dec 26 with 2098 viewsitfcjoe

Die

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

2-0 down, lost the toss. Do or die ... on 08:09 - Dec 26 with 2038 viewsBlueandTruesince82

England once again bowl a little too short failing to learn not just from the othe matches this series but also every series ever played in Aus.

Some bowlers in that seam attack should have got their head round this by now.

Batsman, chasing runs, too aggressive at times, muddled thinking, until there are runs on the board you have to be resolute in defence and put away the bad balls, esp batting 1st. There are 5 days in a test match but too many players can't get out of Limited overs mode. The ECB has to look at the county calender and stop pushing red ball cricket to the margins.

All in all and embarrassing series so far for almost everyone. Root knows if he doesn't score its almost certain that England get rolled over cheaply and that's a whole heap of added pressure on him when he already carries the lions share as captain.

Spineless.

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

2-0 down, lost the toss. Do or die ... on 08:12 - Dec 26 with 2036 viewsWD19

2-0 down, lost the toss. Do or die ... on 07:30 - Dec 26 by Geefunk

Yeah gutted for root, just imagine his numbers if he didn't come in during the first 10 overs all the time. I knew Bairstow would get 30, always does..........guess rhats not a bad score for this shower......

That’s a slightly unfair characterisation of Bairstow.

It’s not always a 30 that flatters to deceive. Occasionally he plays all around a straight one for a score in single figures.
2-0 down, lost the toss. Do or die ... on 08:33 - Dec 26 with 1977 viewsSuffolktractor

2-0 down, lost the toss. Do or die ... on 08:12 - Dec 26 by WD19

That’s a slightly unfair characterisation of Bairstow.

It’s not always a 30 that flatters to deceive. Occasionally he plays all around a straight one for a score in single figures.

Root is the only one of our batters that should be any where near a decent test match line up. An incredible talent, a real shame he has to carry the whole team.
Malan manages to adapt from a brilliant T20 player to a reasonable number 3 test player, but other than these 2 the others just make up the numbers.
ECB will not change, they have given up on Test Cricket to chase the money. The Hundred is a joke, purely a money making gimmick.
2-0 down, lost the toss. Do or die ... on 08:39 - Dec 26 with 1961 viewsGuthrum

2-0 down, lost the toss. Do or die ... on 00:38 - Dec 26 by Ryorry

Not really. If we batted and bowled as effectively as the Aussies are, the toss would make much less difference. Our top order being pretty much skittled shows they lack the skills (technical and, even more so, mental), rather than it being an impossible task.

Not only the home batsmen, but also the Indians a year ago have shown it is possible to post defensible scores in these conditions and on these wickets.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

2-0 down, lost the toss. Do or die ... on 08:49 - Dec 26 with 1945 viewsGuthrum

2-0 down, lost the toss. Do or die ... on 08:09 - Dec 26 by BlueandTruesince82

England once again bowl a little too short failing to learn not just from the othe matches this series but also every series ever played in Aus.

Batsman, chasing runs, too aggressive at times, muddled thinking, until there are runs on the board you have to be resolute in defence and put away the bad balls, esp batting 1st. There are 5 days in a test match but too many players can't get out of Limited overs mode. The ECB has to look at the county calender and stop pushing red ball cricket to the margins.

All in all and embarrassing series so far for almost everyone. Root knows if he doesn't score its almost certain that England get rolled over cheaply and that's a whole heap of added pressure on him when he already carries the lions share as captain.

Spineless.

The bowling length is a weird one, especially after Root caused a row by mentioning it in public. They must be aware of the issue, but still can't seem to rectify it.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

2-0 down, lost the toss. Do or die ... on 10:02 - Dec 26 with 1825 viewsbenrhyddingblue

2-0 down, lost the toss. Do or die ... on 05:23 - Dec 26 by Chrisd

Doesn’t matter how much talking this England squad want to do, if they aren’t good enough, they aren’t good enough. For all the cricket we have played in this series I’d say we’ve won 4 sessions, 4! - it’s just not a fair contest!! Utterly shameful. For me, this ineptitude lies firmly at the ECB’s door with their insistence on pushing such nonsense like The 100 and taking their eye off the longer format of the game. It will be more of a surprise if we don’t lose 5-0, perhaps then they might be shamed into giving more attention and addressing the issues in the longer format in this country and stop pushing this white ball agenda.
[Post edited 26 Dec 2021 5:28]

Absolutely with the ECB, as you say. You reap what you sow. Pushing the red ball game out to April/May and Sept/Oct shows exactly where their priorities are. For all the criticism of this batting line up, these are pretty much the best players we now have for red ball cricket. There is no need for the Hundred, we already have the blast. That’s all about the ECB gave control over a franchise tournament, which they don’t have with the Blast. They’re not going to attract these ‘new’ fans to Test cricket if the Test team is rubbish either. Sorry, a bit of ramble, but it’s frustration at watching this non-contest in Australia
2-0 down, lost the toss. Do or die ... on 10:20 - Dec 26 with 1794 viewsrattram

2-0 down, lost the toss. Do or die ... on 07:12 - Dec 26 by BlueandTruesince82

Most of our batsmen don't understand these are TEST matches. It's a test of not only their skill, but their mental ability and determination to wait for a bad ball and not try to force the issue. How many of our wickets have been gifted ?
2-0 down, lost the toss. Do or die ... on 11:21 - Dec 26 with 1731 viewsChrisd

2-0 down, lost the toss. Do or die ... on 08:09 - Dec 26 by BlueandTruesince82

Spineless.

Our batting has been shown up as poor, however our bowling is just as toothless. Got to say it, but I think it’s about time we moved on from Broad and Anderson now. They have been incredible bowlers for England for years, but this series and the one in India has shown they are now past their best. I feel for Leach as he’s expected to preform at the highest level having not played any competitive cricket for his county or England for months, then what are we left with? Robinson certainly has promise for me, but we’ve got too many bowlers that bowl the same pace, the same length and are all right handers, we’ve got zero variation apart Wood with his pace. Our bowling is so one dimensional, it’s incredible anyone believes there will be a different outcome.
[Post edited 26 Dec 2021 11:25]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024