Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
As Xmas offers a time to reflect, I’ve been thinking about Paul Cook 14:28 - Dec 27 with 4382 viewsIllinoisblue

And was feeling sorry for him getting sacked so early into his time with us. And that’s genuine - seems very un-Ipswich to make such a quick decision. I’m sure Cook was paid off very nicely with a couple hundred grand or so to ease his pain. But still.

And then… and then… looked at the league table which I haven’t done in a while and I feel considerably less sorry for Cook. Pretty evident we are not making the playoffs this season unless McKenna is a miracle worker and can conjure up a 75% win ratio over what’s left of this turd of a season.

The old ITFC failings are still here; bloated squad (which in reality means unhappy squad), still suffering from injuries (where would be if Coulson and Burns could stay fit) and perhaps worst of all, still overly reliant on loan players.

So here we sit, looking up at Accrington.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

As Xmas offers a time to reflect, I’ve been thinking about Paul Cook on 20:25 - Dec 27 with 818 viewsOriginalMarkyP

One of the things that riles me most is that he has seemed to manage taking decent players and making them worse by eviscerating their confidence.

Some may never quite recover the form they had before.

And they are all on decent 3 year contracts so we'll be stuck with them.

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

As Xmas offers a time to reflect, I’ve been thinking about Paul Cook on 20:29 - Dec 27 with 813 viewsNthsuffolkblue

As Xmas offers a time to reflect, I’ve been thinking about Paul Cook on 20:25 - Dec 27 by OriginalMarkyP

One of the things that riles me most is that he has seemed to manage taking decent players and making them worse by eviscerating their confidence.

Some may never quite recover the form they had before.

And they are all on decent 3 year contracts so we'll be stuck with them.

I am quite certain that as easy as it is to destroy their confidence, a good manager will be able to get the best out of them. For some that is likely to mean moving on because, quite frankly, he has built another bloated squad.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

As Xmas offers a time to reflect, I’ve been thinking about Paul Cook on 20:34 - Dec 27 with 808 viewsKeaneish

As Xmas offers a time to reflect, I’ve been thinking about Paul Cook on 16:42 - Dec 27 by Steve_M

If you take from Lincoln to Wycombe inclusive then Cook's teams were ok, some good results and a couple of poor runs at Accrington and Cambridge. The problem you have is that all of the matches outside of that spell count too.

Agreed but the reality is the club needed a reset and the wide concurrence was it was an overhaul was the right thing to do which naturally takes time. I’m my opinion, we cut it far too short and despite some ropey latter performances, we were on that upward trajectory.

Still, that’s gone now and we’re on to a new chapter. I think Cook and GameChanger have laid some great foundations for McKenna even if their “unanimous decision” still hasn’t been clearly articulated and the strategic vision is scant if non-existent.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

As Xmas offers a time to reflect, I’ve been thinking about Paul Cook on 20:35 - Dec 27 with 805 viewsHerbivore

As Xmas offers a time to reflect, I’ve been thinking about Paul Cook on 20:29 - Dec 27 by Nthsuffolkblue

I am quite certain that as easy as it is to destroy their confidence, a good manager will be able to get the best out of them. For some that is likely to mean moving on because, quite frankly, he has built another bloated squad.

I'd just like to point out that I got absolute pelters for making the bloated squad point in the summer, not from you of course but many just wouldn't have it that we'd essentially recreated some of the problems we had under Lambert the last couple of years.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

As Xmas offers a time to reflect, I’ve been thinking about Paul Cook on 20:39 - Dec 27 with 789 viewsKeaneish

As Xmas offers a time to reflect, I’ve been thinking about Paul Cook on 16:30 - Dec 27 by N2_Blue

Not as baffling as your constant defense of a failed manager who has taken us further backwards and basically failed with two sets of players.

you state Gamechanger have made some odd decisions.... another weird take. They didn't appoint Cook and they rightly got rid of him. The decision to bring in McKenna will hopefully be inspired but no one can call anything on that decision yet.

29th December 19:45 - Ipswich vs Wycombe. Just a reminder in case you have dinner plans, again.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

As Xmas offers a time to reflect, I’ve been thinking about Paul Cook on 20:54 - Dec 27 with 751 viewsketton_itfc

I liked Cook and didn't want him to leave. But I was left clinging to his work at previous clubs rather than anything he had done for us sadly.
As for McKenna, he has the perfect platform to create a team. For me it's crying out for decent coaching as I think it's an outstanding squad for this division, maybe just lacking a bit of physicality and streetwise League 1 nous. So if McKenna can get us organised I don't think the play-offs are out the question. I still remember Palace going from bottom 3 to top 6 in the 2nd half of the season, anything is possible if you can get a few wins on the spin.
The point about a bloated squad is sadly spot on but I think that was a much due to Ashton and O'Leary rather than solely Cook.
Barry, Edwards, Harper, Fraser, Celina, Carroll, Aluko for me were not Cook signings. Perhaps this was the issue why we've been so inconsistent.
As Xmas offers a time to reflect, I’ve been thinking about Paul Cook on 20:58 - Dec 27 with 737 viewsHerbivore

As Xmas offers a time to reflect, I’ve been thinking about Paul Cook on 20:34 - Dec 27 by Keaneish

Agreed but the reality is the club needed a reset and the wide concurrence was it was an overhaul was the right thing to do which naturally takes time. I’m my opinion, we cut it far too short and despite some ropey latter performances, we were on that upward trajectory.

Still, that’s gone now and we’re on to a new chapter. I think Cook and GameChanger have laid some great foundations for McKenna even if their “unanimous decision” still hasn’t been clearly articulated and the strategic vision is scant if non-existent.

7 points from his last 6 games here is not what most would describe as an upward trajectory. I get that going all in on Cook as you did has made this hard for you, nobody likes to admit they've got it wrong, but rewriting history to try to support your view isn't a good look. We were going nowhere under Cook, sadly.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

As Xmas offers a time to reflect, I’ve been thinking about Paul Cook on 21:11 - Dec 27 with 714 viewsjas0999

As Xmas offers a time to reflect, I’ve been thinking about Paul Cook on 14:32 - Dec 27 by Steve_M

Yes, Cook did a poor job and managed to recreate the supposed failings of the squad he inherited in the Summer.

One thing on loans though, It's pretty much impossible for lower division clubs not to have some in their squad given the continued stockpiling of any promising young player by Premier League clubs. Pretending that won't happen is a fool's game.

Agree … but we definitely have far too many loans.
Login to get fewer ads

As Xmas offers a time to reflect, I’ve been thinking about Paul Cook on 21:25 - Dec 27 with 684 viewsSwansea_Blue

As Xmas offers a time to reflect, I’ve been thinking about Paul Cook on 15:25 - Dec 27 by RobTheMonk

- Awful game management.
- Took us from within reach of playoffs to mid table mediocrity which we've never recovered from even with a new group of players as the old group were all not very good.
- Constant contradictory statements about not blaming players.

He's had a mare here.

Yep, game management wasn’t his strong point, but then I don’t think he thought he needed to worry about that with our attacking depth. It was all very Kevin Keegan.

He definitely squandered the opportunity he had. Yes, we’ve all seen the potential we have at the top end of the pitch. But failures to get us well drilled off the ball and overlooking the defence during the window (relatively) undid him. Even most of us on here could see he was assembling an unbalanced side, and so it proved.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

As Xmas offers a time to reflect, I’ve been thinking about Paul Cook on 23:45 - Dec 27 with 620 viewsN2_Blue

As Xmas offers a time to reflect, I’ve been thinking about Paul Cook on 20:39 - Dec 27 by Keaneish

29th December 19:45 - Ipswich vs Wycombe. Just a reminder in case you have dinner plans, again.

I'm touched. I clearly made an impression on you

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

As Xmas offers a time to reflect, I’ve been thinking about Paul Cook on 08:09 - Dec 28 with 534 viewstextbackup

i really liked Cook when he came in, seemed the exact bloke we needed, and thought he played the football i wanted to see.

i cared very little for the team he took on last season, and wasnt at all bother to hear him call them out for what they were, or when he got rid of them.

i was a little worried so much focus was put on the attacking players we were bringing in, with the defence seemingly overlooked, but as the manager knows more than i ever will about the game i thought i'd keep quiet.

the one that i still struggle to get head around is the Morsy situation, had we not got him on deadline day, what the hell was going to be cooks "glue" to holding us together? 18 players had been brought in, but this 19th was key to everything?

then came the in game management, and looking like a couple of kids playing fifa, going all out attack.

then, and ok everyone deserves a personal/private life, but sitting in local pubs 2/3/4 times a week with coaching team that are ultimately failing to gets results or fix issues, on the piss, heavily, just felt a bit of a piss take. to begin when he was in pubs having a few i thought it was a positive, but the more you heard, and saw, its clearly more than just a social "hi i'm knew to the area"

i expect him to be managing in the championship again, probably before we reach it.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

As Xmas offers a time to reflect, I’ve been thinking about Paul Cook on 09:19 - Dec 28 with 469 viewsChurchman

As Xmas offers a time to reflect, I’ve been thinking about Paul Cook on 08:09 - Dec 28 by textbackup

i really liked Cook when he came in, seemed the exact bloke we needed, and thought he played the football i wanted to see.

i cared very little for the team he took on last season, and wasnt at all bother to hear him call them out for what they were, or when he got rid of them.

i was a little worried so much focus was put on the attacking players we were bringing in, with the defence seemingly overlooked, but as the manager knows more than i ever will about the game i thought i'd keep quiet.

the one that i still struggle to get head around is the Morsy situation, had we not got him on deadline day, what the hell was going to be cooks "glue" to holding us together? 18 players had been brought in, but this 19th was key to everything?

then came the in game management, and looking like a couple of kids playing fifa, going all out attack.

then, and ok everyone deserves a personal/private life, but sitting in local pubs 2/3/4 times a week with coaching team that are ultimately failing to gets results or fix issues, on the piss, heavily, just felt a bit of a piss take. to begin when he was in pubs having a few i thought it was a positive, but the more you heard, and saw, its clearly more than just a social "hi i'm knew to the area"

i expect him to be managing in the championship again, probably before we reach it.

Yes, going into the season with a half formed team does seem odd looking back.

Was Cook and his coaches really in the pubs 2/3/4 times a week or is that anecdotal? Just curious.
As Xmas offers a time to reflect, I’ve been thinking about Paul Cook on 09:22 - Dec 28 with 464 viewstextbackup

As Xmas offers a time to reflect, I’ve been thinking about Paul Cook on 09:19 - Dec 28 by Churchman

Yes, going into the season with a half formed team does seem odd looking back.

Was Cook and his coaches really in the pubs 2/3/4 times a week or is that anecdotal? Just curious.

maybe the 4 was a bit OTT, but 2/3 was a regular thing

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

As Xmas offers a time to reflect, I’ve been thinking about Paul Cook on 09:25 - Dec 28 with 460 viewsLeaky

As Xmas offers a time to reflect, I’ve been thinking about Paul Cook on 15:10 - Dec 27 by Illinoisblue

I’d broadly agree with that; under Evans we were essentially run as a Sunday league club. It was way past time for a shake-up from top to bottom.

On the flip side, though, of being ruthless I look at Arsenal. They stuck with Arteta while he struggled and now, two seasons later it’s all clicking very nicely.

I still feel when Evans took on Cook he did it on the cheap, in not bringing Leam Richardson
with him. I can,t buy into the fact he prefered to stay at Wigan.
As Xmas offers a time to reflect, I’ve been thinking about Paul Cook on 09:37 - Dec 28 with 447 viewsjeera

As Xmas offers a time to reflect, I’ve been thinking about Paul Cook on 09:25 - Dec 28 by Leaky

I still feel when Evans took on Cook he did it on the cheap, in not bringing Leam Richardson
with him. I can,t buy into the fact he prefered to stay at Wigan.

Maybe read that back to yourself a few times.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

As Xmas offers a time to reflect, I’ve been thinking about Paul Cook on 11:50 - Dec 28 with 389 viewsbraveblue

As Xmas offers a time to reflect, I’ve been thinking about Paul Cook on 15:25 - Dec 27 by RobTheMonk

- Awful game management.
- Took us from within reach of playoffs to mid table mediocrity which we've never recovered from even with a new group of players as the old group were all not very good.
- Constant contradictory statements about not blaming players.

He's had a mare here.

If we were seriously within reach of play offs why was the majority screaming for Lambert to get sacked?
Also, I would have given Cook until the end of this season. He had a very good track record and it could have clicked. Sacking him when we did more or less finished the season. Think we should have judged him on a full season and if not happy then let him go in May.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024