Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Still not cute enough are we? 22:02 - Dec 29 with 3837 viewsCheltenham_Blue

And I'm not talking about on the pitch. The crowd and the ball boys/girls seem all to desperate to get the ball into play too quickly, particularly in the Cobbold lower.

Don't just throw the ball to the opposition player, just pop it over the wall and let them walk for it. I watched one town fan throw the ball straight to a Wycombe player when it was clear they were trying to take a quick throw. We've got to play our part in the game too.

Late on in the match the ball went out for a goal kick and one ball girl was slowly walking to get the ball when another jogged across and threw it back to Hladky.

At other teams, especially in the higher leagues, the ball boys and girls are coached, we need that here too. We need to be cuter in all areas during a game, if we are going to get out of this god forsaken league.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Still not cute enough are we? on 22:04 - Dec 29 with 3039 viewsBlueBadger

I'm sure if McKenna is as much of a details man as he's billed, that'll be being looked at.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Still not cute enough are we? on 22:11 - Dec 29 with 2952 viewsgalacticoblue

Completely in agreement - have said this for a long while.
The best I have seen was I think first game of the season. It was clearly a youth ITFC team and anticipated everything that was happening in the game. It’s the small things that lead bigger improvements.
Still not cute enough are we? on 22:11 - Dec 29 with 2943 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Still not cute enough are we? on 22:04 - Dec 29 by BlueBadger

I'm sure if McKenna is as much of a details man as he's billed, that'll be being looked at.

I'm sure it will be.

Still not cute enough are we? on 22:19 - Dec 29 with 2870 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Still not cute enough are we? on 22:11 - Dec 29 by galacticoblue

Completely in agreement - have said this for a long while.
The best I have seen was I think first game of the season. It was clearly a youth ITFC team and anticipated everything that was happening in the game. It’s the small things that lead bigger improvements.

I hope so. The only time I saw a fan try to control the pace of the game was the lad in the front of the SBR who threw the ball back up the stand.

Its the little bits like that, disrupt the opposition momentum. There will be lots that don't like it, and see it as 'not how we do things', but doing things the way we have has got us to 11th in League One, and I've always been sick of being everyones second favourite team.

If being utter sh^thouses for a while gets us back where we should be, then let's get on with it.

Still not cute enough are we? on 22:28 - Dec 29 with 2774 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Surely the ball people should be the same every week, its baffled me that we seem to have random young people do it.

Get some lads from the academy doing it week in, week out.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Still not cute enough are we? on 00:29 - Dec 30 with 2529 viewsGarv

It sounds a silly things to complain about, but I agree. I'm more of the opinion that they're not keen enough to get the ball back in play when it's our ball, not so much the other way round, but there you go.

Portman Road is still lifeless at times (it was as rocking as I've seen it for a while towards the end tonight). Ball boys and girls can help that with energy and enthusiasm. We don't often see that. I'd love to know if there's someone thinking about those sort of things.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Still not cute enough are we? on 07:09 - Dec 30 with 2278 viewssotd78

Personally I hate the gamesmanship. The laying down. The stealing ten yards at throws. The corner flag dance around to waste time. The shielding the ball out of play when the other side have played it... that's basic obstruction and should be penalised.... but sadly until we take the clock to an independent time keeper the game will continue to be managed.
Last night we were keeping the ball in the lower West Stand. Normally we'd hustle it back so we can watch football. Their bench were really frustrated and also a little impressed that we've learned to spoil too.
Bah humbug.

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

Still not cute enough are we? on 07:17 - Dec 30 with 2257 viewstextbackup

i'll never forget the ball boy at upton park for the playoff game, he had our entire fanbase on strings, as the kids say.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Login to get fewer ads

Still not cute enough are we? on 07:30 - Dec 30 with 2215 viewsYallop

As an ex ballboy from the mid 80s we were told under no circumstances can we kick the ball and to be quick if we were losing and slow it down a bit if we're winning. They don't seem to have that mentally anymore although their leader is the same chap. You'll all recognise him as he does a lap of the pitch before and after.
Still not cute enough are we? on 07:35 - Dec 30 with 2196 viewsBeattie78

Still not cute enough are we? on 07:17 - Dec 30 by textbackup

i'll never forget the ball boy at upton park for the playoff game, he had our entire fanbase on strings, as the kids say.

Remember that well!

LexdenBlue62

Still not cute enough are we? on 07:59 - Dec 30 with 2133 viewssotd78

Still not cute enough are we? on 07:30 - Dec 30 by Yallop

As an ex ballboy from the mid 80s we were told under no circumstances can we kick the ball and to be quick if we were losing and slow it down a bit if we're winning. They don't seem to have that mentally anymore although their leader is the same chap. You'll all recognise him as he does a lap of the pitch before and after.

The ball boys and girls are often from local youth clubs. It's a great honour and the kids really enjoy but..... if we're want to be cute as said in the OP then that honour will disappear to be replaced by what? A fully coached ball boy/ girl unit?
Personally think that would be sad.

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

Still not cute enough are we? on 08:03 - Dec 30 with 2118 viewsYallop

Still not cute enough are we? on 07:59 - Dec 30 by sotd78

The ball boys and girls are often from local youth clubs. It's a great honour and the kids really enjoy but..... if we're want to be cute as said in the OP then that honour will disappear to be replaced by what? A fully coached ball boy/ girl unit?

I agree these kids are probably bright. A chat before the game would probably work.
Still not cute enough are we? on 08:32 - Dec 30 with 2028 viewsblueislander

Still not cute enough are we? on 08:03 - Dec 30 by Yallop

I agree these kids are probably bright. A chat before the game would probably work.

Do you really think referees and fourth officials are not aware of this?
Still not cute enough are we? on 08:37 - Dec 30 with 1998 viewstextbackup

back in the PO seasons of old, and the prem, the ball boys were a core of 10/12 lads, all of who knew football inside out.
one lad kicked it back to the keeper on an occassion and sheepshanks had him in his office for a telling off.

i dont what to see dipsy airheaded kids that would rather be on their phones as our ballboy/girls.... the same kids week in week out, to understand and learn

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Still not cute enough are we? on 08:43 - Dec 30 with 1966 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Still not cute enough are we? on 08:32 - Dec 30 by blueislander

Do you really think referees and fourth officials are not aware of this?

What do you think a ref or a lino is going to do in that situation?
Send one of them off and have a 14 year old crying on the side of the pitch?

What a look!

Still not cute enough are we? on 09:28 - Dec 30 with 1875 viewsLeaky

They managed it in SBR lower, guy behind me caught the ball and put under his seat untill the ref asked for a new ball. Then threw it back.
Still not cute enough are we? on 09:34 - Dec 30 with 1842 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Still not cute enough are we? on 09:28 - Dec 30 by Leaky

They managed it in SBR lower, guy behind me caught the ball and put under his seat untill the ref asked for a new ball. Then threw it back.

Yep, as I said, in the SBR and the SAR last night it was generally ok, but in the Cobbald and the Magnus (or whatever its called now) fans are very quick to throw the ball back into play.

But as a whole stadium, generally speaking, there is a over exuberance to get involved in the game, and its usually in a way that doesn't necessarily help Town.

Still not cute enough are we? on 10:12 - Dec 30 with 1720 viewsBluedanW

Still not cute enough are we? on 08:37 - Dec 30 by textbackup

back in the PO seasons of old, and the prem, the ball boys were a core of 10/12 lads, all of who knew football inside out.
one lad kicked it back to the keeper on an occassion and sheepshanks had him in his office for a telling off.

i dont what to see dipsy airheaded kids that would rather be on their phones as our ballboy/girls.... the same kids week in week out, to understand and learn

They are better than they were about 10 years ago. Around the Roy Keane era I believe. Even when we were losing the ball boys used to just sit there and watch as our goalkeeper was having to chase the ball down.
Still not cute enough are we? on 10:22 - Dec 30 with 1692 viewsPinewoodblue

Best tactical use of ball boys I can remember was an away game at St Andrew’s.

It had been an evenly balanced game but late in second half Birmingham took the lead.

Noticed Trevor Francis called a ball boy over. He had clearly instructed the ball boys to quietly disappear and by the end there were no ball boys at all. Pass the message in to the next one and walk away.

Clever….

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Still not cute enough are we? on 10:42 - Dec 30 with 1631 viewsblueislander

Still not cute enough are we? on 08:43 - Dec 30 by Cheltenham_Blue

What do you think a ref or a lino is going to do in that situation?
Send one of them off and have a 14 year old crying on the side of the pitch?

What a look!

They just add on my time.
Still not cute enough are we? on 10:56 - Dec 30 with 1595 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Still not cute enough are we? on 10:42 - Dec 30 by blueislander

They just add on my time.

It's not about 'time' it's all about disrupting the flow of one side or the other when it works in our favour.

You can have all the time in the world, but if the opposition keep disrupting your rhythm, you will find it far harder to get a foothold in the game.

And currently, we aren't very good at it.

Still not cute enough are we? on 11:08 - Dec 30 with 1557 viewsGlasgowBlue

I'm reminded of a game in the early 90's when Blackburn were in the old second division and they were beating Liverpool (I think) in a cup game. The ball boy threw the ball to a Liverpool player in injury time and Liverpool went onto score an equaliser.

The ball boy got slaughtered by Jimmy Hill so the club went out of their way to back the poor kid.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Still not cute enough are we? on 11:31 - Dec 30 with 1487 viewsblueislander

Still not cute enough are we? on 10:56 - Dec 30 by Cheltenham_Blue

It's not about 'time' it's all about disrupting the flow of one side or the other when it works in our favour.

You can have all the time in the world, but if the opposition keep disrupting your rhythm, you will find it far harder to get a foothold in the game.

And currently, we aren't very good at it.

You are over thinking it. It would be a much better use of the coaches` time if they taught the players how to retain possession of the ball rather than teach the ball kids dodgy tactics.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2021 12:04]
Still not cute enough are we? on 11:36 - Dec 30 with 1471 viewsChe

No Youth Clubs left, victim of tory cuts
Still not cute enough are we? on 11:40 - Dec 30 with 1460 viewsBseaBlue

Still not cute enough are we? on 11:31 - Dec 30 by blueislander

You are over thinking it. It would be a much better use of the coaches` time if they taught the players how to retain possession of the ball rather than teach the ball kids dodgy tactics.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2021 12:04]

He really isn't though. A team like Wycombe rely on disrupting the flow of the game and controlling the tempo it is played at. Being able to implement some game management of our own is key to grinding out results like yesterday.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024