Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
That was better 10:22 - Dec 30 with 1883 viewsclive_baker

Thought we rode our luck at times, especially the chance they skied over the bar with a couple of minutes remaining, but by and large we contained them pretty well, and they're a tough nut to crack. We also had our chances, especially on the break in the 2nd half, I thought Norwood took Evans' excellent ball down well, perhaps just needed to get his body between the man and goal so as not to leave himself too much to do on his left foot, but a nice chance all the same.

Clearly the Chaplin chance late on, where Morsy probably should've gone to Pigott on his right. I actually thought the initial ball to Morsy from Chaplin was suicidal at the time and completely the wrong ball in the circumstances, but the Egyptian did well to make something of it. He played well all night, it seemed to work with Evans in a deeper role, and Morsy pressing higher up the pitch. The gap between midfield and front 2 was huge against Sunderland, where Evans didn't get anywhere near close enough to them which limited our ability to press high up the pitch, I thought Morsy did that well last night and perhaps him in more of a number 8 role while Evans sits is the way forward. Aluko was neat and tidy in possession yet again, the guy has so much quality on the ball. Aside from one loose pass into the middle I can't recall him giving possession away at all, I thought he was class and Celina will do well to dislodge him when fit.

Have to mention the lovely take from Chaplin on his chest at one point late on in the middle of the park, knocked it over his shoulder and sent 2 of their men packing. I actually thought that was a great chance but his through ball was a touch heavy and Stockdale was alert.

Penney I thought had a much improved 2nd half. A little rushed in possession at times, and a clumsy yellow that was largely his own doing positionally, but a safety first approach after the break especially and some valuable interventions defensively. Donacien and Woolfenden were excellent, with the exception of one dodgy Woolfy moment first half. I can't help but feel Edmundson and Woolfenden is the right partnership, with JD right of the 3, especially if they're going to be encouraged to step out with the ball. I can't see that suiting Toto or Burgess. The wingback role might suit KVY in time too, and certainly will Coulson when fit. Coulson on the left and Burns on the right sounds strong to me.

Thought the front 2 put in a real shift, Bonne is such a horrible striker to play against, and after a ropey first 20 minutes from Norwood he gre into the game too. They remind me a little of Morison and Gregory when they were up front for Millwall. Full of running, sh1thouses, scored goals, street wise.

Fans were great too, really positive atmosphere all night and I'm sure KM and his staff will have felt buoyed by the potential that exists here having seen that. Really enjoyable night under the lights, proper game of football, certainly some green shoots, and vitally it's 3 points. We've got a nice run of games coming up that can hopefully yield points, let's hope it's not another false dawn.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

That was better on 10:50 - Dec 30 with 1794 viewsSomethingBlue

Yep that pretty much matches how I saw it. Aluko is certainly smooth in possession and we needed that last night, probably less likely to do something that gets you out of your seat or wins a game from nowhere than Celina but we have very nice options for that role if we are rolling with an interpretation of 3-5-2 in future. Agree on Penney too, couple of nice bits of defending at the back stick were good to see, if he switches on there's a player in him but suspect it's an upgradable position.

Should say a word for Hladky — Wycombe would have been licking their lips when they saw his name on the sheet but apart from that inexplicable punch in the first half I thought he looked secure and commanding, so well done. If he can get through that one, he should be OK anywhere in L1.

If we keep solid and disciplined in games then we should have enough further forward to nick something most weeks. We'll see over the next month or two whether it's as simple as that and if we can mount some sort of comeback.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2021 10:50]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

That was better on 10:56 - Dec 30 with 1753 viewsJakeITFC

I think Penney is the most immediate area for improvement for me, I don't think he's anywhere near the standard. I could see us being busy in that area in January (maybe Coulson sent back too) if we are planning to stick with wing-backs.

I think the midfield balance is an interesting one to be resolved in this shape. Evans was quietly effective last night but I haven't been fully impressed with him to date. Morsy I think looks much better in that kind of marauding tenacious role than as a sitter, and Aluko is a really good player to have in there to look after the ball and use his experience.

The obvious problem is that it's difficult to see a role in there for Celina or Chaplin, both of whom you'd think should play based on their quality. Aluko's role isn't really as a number 10 based on the midfield layout mentioned above, so can we have Celina with two forwards (and lose some of the solidity in there)? Chaplin is a lovely player, but I think in this shape the forwards have to be physical and run the channels, both of which Chaplin is willing and capable of, but not his best use.
That was better on 11:32 - Dec 30 with 1640 viewstractorboy1978

That was better on 10:56 - Dec 30 by JakeITFC

I think Penney is the most immediate area for improvement for me, I don't think he's anywhere near the standard. I could see us being busy in that area in January (maybe Coulson sent back too) if we are planning to stick with wing-backs.

I think the midfield balance is an interesting one to be resolved in this shape. Evans was quietly effective last night but I haven't been fully impressed with him to date. Morsy I think looks much better in that kind of marauding tenacious role than as a sitter, and Aluko is a really good player to have in there to look after the ball and use his experience.

The obvious problem is that it's difficult to see a role in there for Celina or Chaplin, both of whom you'd think should play based on their quality. Aluko's role isn't really as a number 10 based on the midfield layout mentioned above, so can we have Celina with two forwards (and lose some of the solidity in there)? Chaplin is a lovely player, but I think in this shape the forwards have to be physical and run the channels, both of which Chaplin is willing and capable of, but not his best use.

I think longer term it’ll develop more into a 3-4-3 than a 3-4-1-2 and we will lose one of the number 9s for someone like Edwards, Celina or Chaplin. It worked really well against Wycombe last night though and we matched them physically. I actually think Edwards could ably play that LWB role, especially against the lesser sides. He’s defensively disciplined enough and would be a real attacking threat from a deeper position where he is harder to pick up. I do agree though, that looks the position we are most likely to see a new recruit, particularly if we cannot rely on Coulson.
That was better on 11:35 - Dec 30 with 1632 viewsBseaBlue

Fantastic point re Aluko. His stats for ball retention must he impressive. What I like most is that he can turn both ways which makes it that much harder to defend against.
That was better on 11:39 - Dec 30 with 1605 viewsitfcjoe

That was better on 10:56 - Dec 30 by JakeITFC

I thought that was Evans best game for a while, and Morsy being higher up suited our shape as he hunts the ball too much to be a defensive lynchpin type midfielder as gets dragged around.

Looked very much a as though Norwood and Aluko were playing as wide number 10s who had lots of defensive responsibilty but there natural games then balanced out well with each other with Norwood drifting to support Bonne and Aluko drifting inside to get on the ball

All looked very fluid, and very organised with players knowing the roles - without getting too far ahead of ourselves, we played exactly the same formation week in-week out under Cook but yest still didn't look organised in all phases of the game which is crazy really

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

That was better on 12:17 - Dec 30 with 1489 viewsDarth_Koont

Agree with that.

We rode our luck a little and we’re still stuttery in attack but so nice to see a manager get off to a good start and a deserved win.

Not surprisingly, with three CBs we look more solid defensively but we used the extra player well in the first half to break forward and disrupt an otherwise pretty stubborn Wycombe.

And did anyone else notice we had the three CBs in the wall for Wycombe’s free kick on the edge of the box? Worked like a charm as Woolfenden or Donacien headed the shot away. I suppose the logic is that if you’re going to have a wall, have a real wall. 😀

Pronouns: He/Him

That was better on 12:46 - Dec 30 with 1395 viewsFixed_It

'Aluko was neat and tidy in possession yet again, the guy has so much quality on the ball. Aside from one loose pass into the middle.'

Yes - that misplaced pass came immediately after I commented to my mate about how good Aluko was on the ball!
[Post edited 30 Dec 2021 13:06]

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

That was better on 13:17 - Dec 30 with 1299 viewsfranz_tyson

Looking at that setup I’m not sure where that leaves Celina and if we really need him. Would he put in a shift like Aluko and Norwood and Chaplin?

If there was a clause in his loan deal, I wouldn’t be too bothered if we sent him back. Free up some money and a squad place for someone that would fit better.

As much as he will do something special and be a match winner, he’ll go missing for the next ten games. Odds are that we’ll be in this league next season and he’s not part of our future anyway. A player that could interest a Championship side and it might suit all parties.
Login to get fewer ads

That was better on 13:19 - Dec 30 with 1283 viewsJakeITFC

That was better on 13:17 - Dec 30 by franz_tyson

Looking at that setup I’m not sure where that leaves Celina and if we really need him. Would he put in a shift like Aluko and Norwood and Chaplin?

If there was a clause in his loan deal, I wouldn’t be too bothered if we sent him back. Free up some money and a squad place for someone that would fit better.

As much as he will do something special and be a match winner, he’ll go missing for the next ten games. Odds are that we’ll be in this league next season and he’s not part of our future anyway. A player that could interest a Championship side and it might suit all parties.

Not sure most of your summary of Celina is true.
That was better on 13:20 - Dec 30 with 1265 viewsSomethingBlue

That was better on 13:17 - Dec 30 by franz_tyson

When has he gone missing for 10 games? Certainly not this season, as the stats show. I don't understand the weird blind spot among our fans where Celina is concerned. I bet McKenna cannot wait to get him involved.

That was better on 13:25 - Dec 30 with 1231 viewsDubtractor

That was better on 13:20 - Dec 30 by SomethingBlue

When has he gone missing for 10 games? Certainly not this season, as the stats show. I don't understand the weird blind spot among our fans where Celina is concerned. I bet McKenna cannot wait to get him involved.

It is odd isn't it?

Utilised properly, he can do for us what Taraabt did for QPR a few years back, but unlike Taraabt he does work hard off the ball too.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

That was better on 13:29 - Dec 30 with 1213 viewsfranz_tyson

Fair enough, I picked 10 games out of the blue, but he won’t put in shifts game in, game out.

But how many games really has he shown us his extra class?. We need more than cameos every other few games. Gets brushed of the ball so easily and has no defensive game.
Aluko shouldn’t lose his place for him and I’d rather have Chaplin ahead of him in the pecking order.
Where does he fit?
That was better on 13:48 - Dec 30 with 1174 viewsSomethingBlue

That was better on 13:29 - Dec 30 by franz_tyson

Fair enough, I picked 10 games out of the blue, but he won’t put in shifts game in, game out.

But how many games really has he shown us his extra class?. We need more than cameos every other few games. Gets brushed of the ball so easily and has no defensive game.
Aluko shouldn’t lose his place for him and I’d rather have Chaplin ahead of him in the pecking order.
Where does he fit?

I think you’re setting him an unfairly high bar. Look at his goals/assists output so far, and after being rushed back with no pre season to boot - it’s way ahead of anything else we’ve got in those areas. I’m not begging for him to play 90 mins in every game but you can be sure he’s got a huge part to play between now and May.

That was better on 13:52 - Dec 30 with 1152 viewsNthsuffolkblue

That was better on 12:46 - Dec 30 by Fixed_It

'Aluko was neat and tidy in possession yet again, the guy has so much quality on the ball. Aside from one loose pass into the middle.'

Yes - that misplaced pass came immediately after I commented to my mate about how good Aluko was on the ball!
[Post edited 30 Dec 2021 13:06]

His close control is great. Several times he had 2 players on him and still came away with the ball.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

That was better on 13:54 - Dec 30 with 1142 viewsNthsuffolkblue

My only issue with signing him was whether he would get fully fit and play. He clearly did that and was clearly an asset. The fact he is not playing now is probably down to his vaccination beliefs. We would benefit from being able to re-educate him on those but probably unlikely to be able to do.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

That was better on 13:55 - Dec 30 with 1132 viewsDarth_Koont

That was better on 13:29 - Dec 30 by franz_tyson

Where does he fit?

Celina is an entirely different level of threat to Chaplin and Aluko in that advanced midfield position.

But I take your point that the other two are better at dragging us up the pitch (Chaplin’s energy and annoyance, Aluko’s excellent retention of the ball), whereas Celina can often lose the ball cheaply.

Definitely a trade-off there but, for example, in the first half last night, Celina would have had a field day picking up the ball 40 yards out and driving forwards.

That was better on 13:58 - Dec 30 with 1101 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Ive been one of Lee Evans biggest critics on here, in fact I think he has been awful this season.

Last night he was superb especially first Half, looks so much more comfortable in a slightly different role.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

That was better on 15:25 - Dec 30 with 954 viewsjayessess

In a certain way, I thought that was a better performance than the game at Adams Park. Well, not better, but more replicable maybe?

In both games the strange way Wycombe set up pushed us back for long periods. They get that front 5 really really high up the pitch and continuously launch it in there. They play like a team that's a goal down in stoppage time for most of the game. Gives them a lot of territory but leaves them absolutely wide open to counter attacks. After about 55 minutes I was saying, just a matter of whether we kill the game on the break or they break us down.

At Adams Park they played the same way, but we scored 4 times from 6 shots on target - which you just aren't going to do most weeks. Last night nothing came off attacking second half, which happens to every team. The key to getting results anyway is that you're organised and tough to break down. It's your ability to absorb pressure that gives you the platform to win games without everything being 100% going forward.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

That was better on 15:42 - Dec 30 with 912 viewsDarth_Koont

That was better on 15:25 - Dec 30 by jayessess

In a certain way, I thought that was a better performance than the game at Adams Park. Well, not better, but more replicable maybe?

In both games the strange way Wycombe set up pushed us back for long periods. They get that front 5 really really high up the pitch and continuously launch it in there. They play like a team that's a goal down in stoppage time for most of the game. Gives them a lot of territory but leaves them absolutely wide open to counter attacks. After about 55 minutes I was saying, just a matter of whether we kill the game on the break or they break us down.

At Adams Park they played the same way, but we scored 4 times from 6 shots on target - which you just aren't going to do most weeks. Last night nothing came off attacking second half, which happens to every team. The key to getting results anyway is that you're organised and tough to break down. It's your ability to absorb pressure that gives you the platform to win games without everything being 100% going forward.

Probably true. And at Adams Park we also played with 3 CBs.

Fine by me. I’m a great fan of making us more solid defensively and more consistent before looking to blow teams away with the ball.

We gave Mick permission to do that because we were at such a low ebb and it gave us a pretty successful few years before people started wanting more and on a shrinking budget.

Hopefully, McKenna can use this lowering of expectations the same way and then take the next steps with a bit more money and club structure behind him.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024