Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why we shouldn't just shrug about the Lincoln call-off 14:12 - Dec 30 with 2224 viewsBobbychase

It will cost us money. Original fixture down for New Year's Day, when most people have the day off and lots of Suffolk exiles are back home for Christmas. My brother and my nephew were planning to go but were holding off buying tickets until the match was definitely on. My nephew is at Uni in the North West and very unlikely to come to the rearranged match, especially if it's midweek. I expect there will be many similar stories. A mate of mine was in the ticket office a fortnight back and at that stage Lincoln had sold the lowest of the three PackoutPR matches. I expect the uncertainty and now the call-off will cost us hundreds of lost ticket sales, maybe even in the low thousands, especially as people may have gone back on Saturday having been at the game last night.

Covid is not to be trifled with, I've had it myself, and if Lincoln genuinely have most of their available players testing positive and genuinely cannot put a matchday squad together even utilising their Under-23s then they have my sympathy and of course should not be expected to play.
But they should be made to PROVE this. All season we have had to prove - to gain entry to Portman Road - that we have been double vaccinated or have proof of a recent negative Covid test, and we are just members of the public. You're not telling me that a professional football club, with all the fitness training and medical data it keeps on each player, cannot produce paperwork to prove it has a large number of Covid cases?

And if it's the case that some clubs have players who refuse to be vaccinated and that is the reason they are calling games off, then tough. That's not a good enough reason when they are being paid to be professional footballers.

As I said, if Lincoln genuinely have most of their available players out with Covid then it's fine to call the game off, If they are playing the system because they are on a poor run of form and don't fancy playing us at the moment, then there should be sanctions. They should be fined and the money given to us to make up for lost ticket and matchday revenue.

That might make clubs think twice about taking the mick.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2021 14:16]

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Why we shouldn't just shrug about the Lincoln call-off on 14:39 - Dec 30 with 2082 viewsIllinoisblue

All very good points, especially the bit about proving evidence of positive covid cases. The EFL are the first to bleat about sporting integrity yet are willing to allow clubs to call off games at short notice and without providing any proof.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Why we shouldn't just shrug about the Lincoln call-off on 14:39 - Dec 30 with 2072 viewsArnieM

Spot on.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Why we shouldn't just shrug about the Lincoln call-off on 14:42 - Dec 30 with 2066 viewsitfcjoe

Why we shouldn't just shrug about the Lincoln call-off on 14:39 - Dec 30 by Illinoisblue

All very good points, especially the bit about proving evidence of positive covid cases. The EFL are the first to bleat about sporting integrity yet are willing to allow clubs to call off games at short notice and without providing any proof.

All players where GPS monitors to train every day - shouldn't be too difficult to see how many fit players are currently training - compare this opaqueness to the transparency of something like the NFL where if anyone misses training it has to be on the injury report etc

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Why we shouldn't just shrug about the Lincoln call-off on 14:48 - Dec 30 with 2028 viewsRyorry

Why we shouldn't just shrug about the Lincoln call-off on 14:42 - Dec 30 by itfcjoe

All players where GPS monitors to train every day - shouldn't be too difficult to see how many fit players are currently training - compare this opaqueness to the transparency of something like the NFL where if anyone misses training it has to be on the injury report etc

The decisions about how many fit players are available for 90mins, & whether it's justifiable to claim they don't even have 14 + a GK so the game is called off, should have always been down to external assessors anyway, not the club.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2021 14:49]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Why we shouldn't just shrug about the Lincoln call-off on 14:54 - Dec 30 with 1995 viewsPhilTWTD

Why we shouldn't just shrug about the Lincoln call-off on 14:39 - Dec 30 by Illinoisblue

Although, on the other hand, not a lot of sporting integrity about a fixture if a club is forced to play a load of kids if most of their senior players are unavailable.
Why we shouldn't just shrug about the Lincoln call-off on 15:02 - Dec 30 with 1917 viewsSuperCoops

Why we shouldn't just shrug about the Lincoln call-off on 14:54 - Dec 30 by PhilTWTD

Although, on the other hand, not a lot of sporting integrity about a fixture if a club is forced to play a load of kids if most of their senior players are unavailable.

Personally I'm not disappointed. Would last night's performance been as effective if our new manager had less time training players instead of playing Gillingham?

We saw last night a few refreshing things McKenna seems to be implementing and it looked good with little time during a usually hectic period.

With Lincoln now off, it helps keeps players fresh and gives McKenna even more time (and thus games that are used during his early days) to get things how he wants.

Think it might turn out to be a blessing in disguise.
Why we shouldn't just shrug about the Lincoln call-off on 15:08 - Dec 30 with 1867 viewsIllinoisblue

Why we shouldn't just shrug about the Lincoln call-off on 14:54 - Dec 30 by PhilTWTD

It’s the lack of transparency though, isn’t it? All we get is Lincoln telling us they’re calling it off because of covid. No numbers around how many players are affected, when they were tested, number of new cases since their last postponement.

If the EFL don’t get a grip there’s going to be some ridiculous fixture congestion.

62 - 78 - 81

Why we shouldn't just shrug about the Lincoln call-off on 15:10 - Dec 30 with 1850 viewsBobbychase

It's the not knowing. Would they have to play mostly kids? There's no transparency. They just say "we cannot fulfil the fixture" but what does that mean and where's the oversight?

Login to get fewer ads

Why we shouldn't just shrug about the Lincoln call-off on 15:19 - Dec 30 with 1785 viewsPhilTWTD

Why we shouldn't just shrug about the Lincoln call-off on 15:08 - Dec 30 by Illinoisblue

It’s the lack of transparency though, isn’t it? All we get is Lincoln telling us they’re calling it off because of covid. No numbers around how many players are affected, when they were tested, number of new cases since their last postponement.

If the EFL don’t get a grip there’s going to be some ridiculous fixture congestion.

I assume the EFL will have that sort of data as I assume they're running the testing, they certainly were at one time. I agree, they need to get a handle on it if clubs are acting outside the rules they have stated. However, I still feel it's unsatisfactory from a competition perspective for clubs to field very weakened sides. Equally, the games will have to be played at some point.
Why we shouldn't just shrug about the Lincoln call-off on 15:21 - Dec 30 with 1770 viewsChalonerC

Excellent points. How can we find out, from the Club? Lincoln fans?

If not, how to apply pressure on the EFL?

Start a campaign perhaps. Is there already a campaign?

We all, well most of us on here, recognise the seriousness of Covid but if Clubs are 'gamechanging' the rules, bending things to suit their
clubs poor performances, buying tme etc, then that is simply not good enough.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2021 15:23]

OldGaffer

Why we shouldn't just shrug about the Lincoln call-off on 15:31 - Dec 30 with 1701 viewsBobbychase

Why we shouldn't just shrug about the Lincoln call-off on 15:19 - Dec 30 by PhilTWTD

I assume the EFL will have that sort of data as I assume they're running the testing, they certainly were at one time. I agree, they need to get a handle on it if clubs are acting outside the rules they have stated. However, I still feel it's unsatisfactory from a competition perspective for clubs to field very weakened sides. Equally, the games will have to be played at some point.

And while I hate to give them credit, look at all those rubbish players Norwich are having to field just to fulfil their festive games.

Why we shouldn't just shrug about the Lincoln call-off on 15:32 - Dec 30 with 1686 viewsBobbychase

Why we shouldn't just shrug about the Lincoln call-off on 15:21 - Dec 30 by ChalonerC

Excellent points. How can we find out, from the Club? Lincoln fans?

If not, how to apply pressure on the EFL?

Start a campaign perhaps. Is there already a campaign?

We all, well most of us on here, recognise the seriousness of Covid but if Clubs are 'gamechanging' the rules, bending things to suit their
clubs poor performances, buying tme etc, then that is simply not good enough.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2021 15:23]

A starting point would be clubs being asked a bit more by their own local media how many players have tested positive for Covid and when, rather than just reprinting/broadcasting what they say as gospel.

Why we shouldn't just shrug about the Lincoln call-off on 15:33 - Dec 30 with 1683 viewsPhilTWTD

Why we shouldn't just shrug about the Lincoln call-off on 15:31 - Dec 30 by Bobbychase

And while I hate to give them credit, look at all those rubbish players Norwich are having to field just to fulfil their festive games.

Results would suggest they're no more rubbish than the ones they had previously been fielding!
Why we shouldn't just shrug about the Lincoln call-off on 16:04 - Dec 30 with 1485 viewsPinewoodblue

Why we shouldn't just shrug about the Lincoln call-off on 15:33 - Dec 30 by PhilTWTD

Results would suggest they're no more rubbish than the ones they had previously been fielding!

Norwich gained from losing by just three goals. A full strength Palace side would have scored more.

Gillingham and Lincoln are both likely to lose out as we will most likely beat them by a larger margin when the games are played.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Why we shouldn't just shrug about the Lincoln call-off on 16:06 - Dec 30 with 1463 viewsfooters

Why we shouldn't just shrug about the Lincoln call-off on 15:02 - Dec 30 by SuperCoops

Personally I'm not disappointed. Would last night's performance been as effective if our new manager had less time training players instead of playing Gillingham?

We saw last night a few refreshing things McKenna seems to be implementing and it looked good with little time during a usually hectic period.

With Lincoln now off, it helps keeps players fresh and gives McKenna even more time (and thus games that are used during his early days) to get things how he wants.

Think it might turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

I think this is spot on.

Given what McKenna had said regarding there not being too many changes for last night's game, I think we can all see the difference in performance even after just a week's training.

If Lincoln pulling out buys him more time, then this correspondent is more than happy with that result.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Why we shouldn't just shrug about the Lincoln call-off on 17:13 - Dec 30 with 1251 viewspointofblue

Why we shouldn't just shrug about the Lincoln call-off on 16:06 - Dec 30 by footers

I think this is spot on.

Given what McKenna had said regarding there not being too many changes for last night's game, I think we can all see the difference in performance even after just a week's training.

If Lincoln pulling out buys him more time, then this correspondent is more than happy with that result.

On the pitch, it might be good news for the club. Off the pitch bad news.

Wimbledon’s statement does carry some weight - how can they, with less money and smaller facilities, manage the Covid situation whilst residing in the epicentre of Omicron yet so many other clubs struggle with it?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Why we shouldn't just shrug about the Lincoln call-off on 17:17 - Dec 30 with 1226 viewsbackwaywhen

Any evidence that they are not asking for proof ….. heard that they actually are !
Why we shouldn't just shrug about the Lincoln call-off on 17:24 - Dec 30 with 1191 viewstextbackup

Lincoln have earned me a 12.5hr BH holiday day at work… the toe rags

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Why we shouldn't just shrug about the Lincoln call-off on 17:33 - Dec 30 with 1144 viewsIllinoisblue

Why we shouldn't just shrug about the Lincoln call-off on 17:17 - Dec 30 by backwaywhen

Any evidence that they are not asking for proof ….. heard that they actually are !

And that’s the point; nobody really knows. Because the EFL are a clown show

62 - 78 - 81

Why we shouldn't just shrug about the Lincoln call-off on 17:49 - Dec 30 with 1079 viewsParisBlue

Why we shouldn't just shrug about the Lincoln call-off on 14:42 - Dec 30 by itfcjoe

Pre-covid I can't recall the last time a club was able to get a game postponed due to the number of injuries, suspensions, or illness running through the camp.

The 25 man squad also excludes goalkeepers and under 21 players.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Why we shouldn't just shrug about the Lincoln call-off on 19:03 - Dec 30 with 914 viewsVaughan8

I think a lot of teams are "playing the system", even in the premier league.

I thought I read if you have 13 senior players including one goalie, you should play the game.

I can't believe teams like Spurs didn't have 13 players.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024