Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The omicron experience 14:25 - Dec 30 with 4189 viewsDubtractor

For those who are alarmed by the current covid numbers, I thought I'd share my experience with what I assume is omicron this week, to hopefully reassure that it probably isn't as nasty as some of what has come before. Obviously this is just my experience, and I'm double jabbed and in fairly good health to start with.

I've had 2 or 3 days of flu like symptoms, aching all over, headaches, sinuses screwed, annoying cough, occasional nausea, really damn tired, plus more regular than usual (you can work it out!).

Today I'm feeling a bit less crap, and its more like a heavy cold now, so I'm hoping that it improves from here.

Oh, and I've not lost my sense of taste either!

Mrs Dub had very similar symptoms and timeline to me.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but it isn't as bad as earlier variants of the virus seem to have been.

Just to clarify, this isn't me trying to say that covid is no longer an issue, and I don't doubt that omicron could still be a very nasty virus indeed for some people, but this doesn't seem like the same virus that was going round last year. Which is just as well given the rapidness with which it is spreading.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Good name for a band that. (n/t) on 14:28 - Dec 30 with 3678 viewsBloots

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

The omicron experience on 14:34 - Dec 30 with 3653 viewsPendejo

Why is it that whenever I read it hear the word "omicron" I imagine this

With "omicron" replacing "mysteron"

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

The omicron experience on 14:34 - Dec 30 with 3658 viewsghostofescobar

I've had it over Xmas and my experience has been that it is mild. I've had worse colds, but it does seem to be lingering. Bit of a snotty nose, bit of a sore throat, minor chills, small scale cough - was only "bad" for 2 or 3 days, but to be honest, in the "old days" I would probably have still gone to work. Although it screwed up Xmas, which i was really down about, i do now think I can go about my business not worrying about whether I'll get it. Just hope it gives me antibodies against other strains of the virus.

GhostOfEscobar

The omicron experience on 14:46 - Dec 30 with 3580 viewsChurchman

My ski buddy’s misses has had exactly the same experience as you in the last week.
The omicron experience on 14:54 - Dec 30 with 3544 viewsBABLUE

The omicron experience on 14:46 - Dec 30 by Churchman

My ski buddy’s misses has had exactly the same experience as you in the last week.

Always a favourite whenever skiing â›· is mentioned
The omicron experience on 14:58 - Dec 30 with 3526 viewsjeera

"Oh, and I've not lost my sense of taste either!"

*Briefly visualises Dubs searching online for Hawaiian shirts*

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

The omicron experience on 14:59 - Dec 30 with 3519 viewsLeaky

My son has just got over it. He said basically the same as you. Plus as he has had transplant he has a suppressed imune system.
The omicron experience on 15:00 - Dec 30 with 3503 viewsChurchman

The omicron experience on 14:58 - Dec 30 by jeera

"Oh, and I've not lost my sense of taste either!"

*Briefly visualises Dubs searching online for Hawaiian shirts*

It’s when he hauls on a Norwich shirt we will know his sense of taste and sanity has gone.
Login to get fewer ads

The omicron experience on 15:40 - Dec 30 with 3358 viewsGogs

I was fairly similar but I lost my sense of taste and smell too though, it is coming back slowly though. No real cough at any point for me, and I was less 'regular' than usual, which eventually righted itself in a rather abrupt and unpleasant manner.
Still lingering feeling of tiredness all the while but otherwise ok now. It's now 2&½ weeks since i first tested positive. Lateral flows tested negative on day 8, though I was under the impression these could still test positive for up to 3 months. For me personally, I'd sum it up as worse than a heavy cold but not as bad as full blown flu.
The omicron experience on 16:21 - Dec 30 with 3238 viewsBlueschev

I tested positive yesterday but have had symptoms since boxing day. I've had the exact same as you, though all pretty mild and my energy levels are really up and down.
The omicron experience on 16:31 - Dec 30 with 3204 viewsjeera

The omicron experience on 16:21 - Dec 30 by Blueschev

I tested positive yesterday but have had symptoms since boxing day. I've had the exact same as you, though all pretty mild and my energy levels are really up and down.

Can anyone advise how long they have had to wait for results?

I was told by my surgery to order a PCR test last Friday so did and it dutifully arrived on Boxing Day.

I did the test and dropped it into the 'Priority Post box' yet they only received it today so still no results yet.

I appreciate it was Boxing Day but isn't that the idea of these Priority boxes, that they are monitored outside of normal postal hours?
[Post edited 30 Dec 2021 16:32]

The omicron experience on 16:44 - Dec 30 with 3154 viewsDublinBlue84

The omicron experience on 16:31 - Dec 30 by jeera

Can anyone advise how long they have had to wait for results?

I was told by my surgery to order a PCR test last Friday so did and it dutifully arrived on Boxing Day.

I did the test and dropped it into the 'Priority Post box' yet they only received it today so still no results yet.

I appreciate it was Boxing Day but isn't that the idea of these Priority boxes, that they are monitored outside of normal postal hours?
[Post edited 30 Dec 2021 16:32]

Should be able to find the details of when the priority pick ups are on the Royal Mail site by looking up the post-box. Some of them are more often than others.

I've had a couple of friends with exactly the same as Dubtractor, I had a couple of days over Christmas with something a bit lighter than people here are describing, but tested negative both on lateral flow and PCR.

Have a friend working in a hospital and they're seeing milder in younger people, much along the same kind of things being reported, but obviously they're seeing the people who are worst effected which tend to be older or with other conditions.

Poll: What result on Tuesday is best for the club?

The omicron experience on 16:51 - Dec 30 with 3112 viewsjeera

The omicron experience on 16:44 - Dec 30 by DublinBlue84

Should be able to find the details of when the priority pick ups are on the Royal Mail site by looking up the post-box. Some of them are more often than others.

I've had a couple of friends with exactly the same as Dubtractor, I had a couple of days over Christmas with something a bit lighter than people here are describing, but tested negative both on lateral flow and PCR.

Have a friend working in a hospital and they're seeing milder in younger people, much along the same kind of things being reported, but obviously they're seeing the people who are worst effected which tend to be older or with other conditions.

There's no info available other than the standard collection times which is why it seems a bit pointless labelling it 'priority'.

4 days suggests a day from normal service resuming on Wednesday.

Oh well, I will hear back when I do.

Edited: keep thinking today is Friday; all over the shop.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2021 17:26]

The omicron experience on 18:35 - Dec 30 with 2937 viewsDubtractor

The omicron experience on 14:34 - Dec 30 by ghostofescobar

I've had it over Xmas and my experience has been that it is mild. I've had worse colds, but it does seem to be lingering. Bit of a snotty nose, bit of a sore throat, minor chills, small scale cough - was only "bad" for 2 or 3 days, but to be honest, in the "old days" I would probably have still gone to work. Although it screwed up Xmas, which i was really down about, i do now think I can go about my business not worrying about whether I'll get it. Just hope it gives me antibodies against other strains of the virus.

I've definitely had a stronger version than that, no way could I have worked Tuesday or Wednesday, not this morning tbh.

Good to hear that milder symptoms does seem to be the norm though.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:45 - Dec 30 with 2890 viewsGogs

The omicron experience on 18:35 - Dec 30 by Dubtractor

I've definitely had a stronger version than that, no way could I have worked Tuesday or Wednesday, not this morning tbh.

I worked monday 13 Dec when I started coming down with symptoms and tested positive, had the tuesday, wednesday and thursday off sick, due to the tiredness and aches and pains, was back working from home on the friday, I was working from home though & i doubt i'd have gone in if i had to on the friday (a somewhat moot point as i was still testing positive then). I'm 47 and have had 2 jabs (was due my booster the day after testing positive).
To the poster who asked about PCR results, (and to sound a bit like the missing verse from that awful Craig David song) i did a postal one, ordered the test on the monday, received and returned the test on the tuesday but didn't get the results until the saturday morning
[Post edited 30 Dec 2021 18:46]
The omicron experience on 19:03 - Dec 30 with 2813 viewsghostofescobar

The omicron experience on 18:35 - Dec 30 by Dubtractor

I genuinely wonder if there are variants of variants. I caught it off my mate, and we both had similar very mild symptoms, whereas another mate caught it off a different family, and they had it bad and my mate had it bad. This is all over the past 10 days, so likely we all had Omicron, in one form or another. Or perhaps my good looks just got me through.

GhostOfEscobar

The omicron experience on 19:05 - Dec 30 with 2808 viewsBluedanW

I had covid back in August and I presume it was the delta variant. Similar to what people are describing now. I did lose my smell for about 6 weeks. Mainly headaches and sniffles for a couple of weeks.
I've had dull ache in my thighs and lower legs ever since, I presume classic long covid. A few people I know now who have recently recovered from covid still have a small lingering cough and these are nonsmokers
The omicron experience on 19:08 - Dec 30 with 2796 viewsStokieBlue

The omicron experience on 19:03 - Dec 30 by ghostofescobar

I genuinely wonder if there are variants of variants. I caught it off my mate, and we both had similar very mild symptoms, whereas another mate caught it off a different family, and they had it bad and my mate had it bad. This is all over the past 10 days, so likely we all had Omicron, in one form or another. Or perhaps my good looks just got me through.

There are 3 known variants of Omicron. The BA.1 (original and referenced one), BA.2 (no SGFT) and BA.3 (very little info).

In the end, any variant of covid can be unpleasant if you're not vaccinated. Just think what it's like if you don't have 90%+ protection.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The omicron experience on 20:06 - Dec 30 with 2700 viewsRobTheMonk

I've had pretty much the exact same.

Had my booster on Tuesday 21st December and then started feeling rough on Christmas Eve. Was okay Christmas day, just a little tired, then had full blown flu symptoms from Boxing Day onwards. Negative LFT and negative PCR (we're testing loads on LFT's for other reasons at the moment). Still feel rough today - going to bed isn't fun as I end up coughing.
The omicron experience on 20:17 - Dec 30 with 2663 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

The omicron experience on 20:06 - Dec 30 by RobTheMonk

I've had pretty much the exact same.

Had my booster on Tuesday 21st December and then started feeling rough on Christmas Eve. Was okay Christmas day, just a little tired, then had full blown flu symptoms from Boxing Day onwards. Negative LFT and negative PCR (we're testing loads on LFT's for other reasons at the moment). Still feel rough today - going to bed isn't fun as I end up coughing.

Anecdotally it sounds like a lot of people are getting boosters at the same time as being infected. I have no idea what affect if any this would have on the experienced symptoms. Maybe Stokie or other might know if this might have any bearing on potential mutations?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

The omicron experience on 20:21 - Dec 30 with 2642 viewsStokieBlue

The omicron experience on 20:17 - Dec 30 by BanksterDebtSlave

Anecdotally it sounds like a lot of people are getting boosters at the same time as being infected. I have no idea what affect if any this would have on the experienced symptoms. Maybe Stokie or other might know if this might have any bearing on potential mutations?

Boosters shouldn't have any affect on potential mutations, the vaccine simply promotes the body to create antibodies for the covid spike protein.

Having 200,000 cases a day is much more likely to promote potential mutations.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The omicron experience on 20:22 - Dec 30 with 2638 viewsGlasgowBlue

The omicron experience on 20:17 - Dec 30 by BanksterDebtSlave

Probably just coincidence as it's rife at the moment. The booster won't kick in for a week or two as well.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

The omicron experience on 21:29 - Dec 30 with 2512 viewsElderGrizzly

The omicron experience on 20:21 - Dec 30 by StokieBlue

Boosters shouldn't have any affect on potential mutations, the vaccine simply promotes the body to create antibodies for the covid spike protein.

SB

Indeed on cases. Not good as we’ve seen on impact on all industries too with isolation,

And not vaccinating the world quicker will add another multiplication factor

Deaths today of 375 should be explained though. No data had been reported for 6 days.

The omicron experience on 23:01 - Dec 30 with 2360 viewsVaughan8

Doesn't the virus affect people differently, even the first, second variant etc. So really your experience doesn't have much say in other people so I'm not entirely sure what the point of the post is, unless I'm missing something?

I'm hoping I never get it regardless of how mild it is

I wonder how many have or will get it from being at Portman Road. Seem a few on here after the Sunderland game.
The omicron experience on 23:21 - Dec 30 with 2302 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

The omicron experience on 20:21 - Dec 30 by StokieBlue

SB

My totally unscientific concern/question was specifically that if the virus is taking hold at the same time as the vaccine is promoting an antibody response the virus might find it easier to mutate around that response. All purely speculative.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024