Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
EFL seem to be sweating now 18:23 - Dec 30 with 2104 viewsHipsterectomy

After making the stance that a break over Christmas/winter wasn’t needed, they have now overturned their rule that players must be tested on match days. They say it’s to help fans by not postponing games at the last minute, but I wonder if they’re starting to regret their decision of not implementing a break. Some teams are going to have 3 or 4 games in hand over others soon

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

EFL seem to be sweating now on 18:31 - Dec 30 with 2007 viewsjayessess

Can't see that a break would've helped anything particularly? Just piles up more games that you've got to find space for.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

EFL seem to be sweating now on 18:32 - Dec 30 with 2001 viewstextbackup

Next season, when they have a 5/6 week mid season break for the WC, you can be sure they’ll clamp down harder on the covid call offs.
If not, it’ll be carnage

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

EFL seem to be sweating now on 18:33 - Dec 30 with 1984 viewsFtnfwest

EFL seem to be sweating now on 18:31 - Dec 30 by jayessess

Can't see that a break would've helped anything particularly? Just piles up more games that you've got to find space for.

And then would probably have continued with covid delays after it anyway
EFL seem to be sweating now on 18:34 - Dec 30 with 1965 viewsHipsterectomy

EFL seem to be sweating now on 18:31 - Dec 30 by jayessess

Surely it's fairer to have a break with the odd team having a game in hand due to cups etc than where we may end up this month with some teams having 4 or 5 games in hand over others

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

EFL seem to be sweating now on 18:36 - Dec 30 with 1948 viewsMullet

They’ve opened up Pandora’s box on this one haven’t they? I wouldn’t be surprised if legal challenges ensue if teams feel they’ve been relegated/denied promotion because of the actions of others. Not that they’ve done the Blades or Wycombe any good.

What frustrates me most is we played a Bolton side full of kids and so did others for a few weeks, so the integrity argument doesn’t hold up either.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

EFL seem to be sweating now on 19:07 - Dec 30 with 1762 viewsBloomBlue

Does Covid automatically stop after an EFL winter break ends?
EFL seem to be sweating now on 19:09 - Dec 30 with 1751 viewsStokieBlue

It's getting ridiculous and is open to massive abuse.

Either stop all the matches or make teams play with youth players.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

EFL seem to be sweating now on 13:29 - Dec 31 with 1279 viewsLeaky

EFL seem to be sweating now on 18:34 - Dec 30 by Hipsterectomy

Surely it's fairer to have a break with the odd team having a game in hand due to cups etc than where we may end up this month with some teams having 4 or 5 games in hand over others

You could have a Winter break however this the Uk.Its 14 degrees at the moment, you could have 2 week break its mild feck return too league action and we get 2feet of snow.
Login to get fewer ads

EFL seem to be sweating now on 13:36 - Dec 31 with 1239 viewsallezlesbleus

EFL seem to be sweating now on 13:29 - Dec 31 by Leaky

You could have a Winter break however this the Uk.Its 14 degrees at the moment, you could have 2 week break its mild feck return too league action and we get 2feet of snow.

My thoughts exactly about a mid season break.
EFL seem to be sweating now on 13:58 - Dec 31 with 1161 viewsChurchman

EFL seem to be sweating now on 19:09 - Dec 30 by StokieBlue

It's getting ridiculous and is open to massive abuse.

Either stop all the matches or make teams play with youth players.

SB

Agree with this. If a club has 14 or 15 fit players, first team or youth play the games. If a club has players out on loan, that’s their choice - play the games. Alternatively, as you suggest, cancel the lot.
EFL seem to be sweating now on 13:59 - Dec 31 with 1158 viewsjayessess

EFL seem to be sweating now on 18:34 - Dec 30 by Hipsterectomy

You could have a 2 week break, then still get a bunch of covid postponements and end up with the same problem but 2 weeks less to accommodate the postponed fixtures.

I think it's a sound idea to get games played when you can, whilst also trying to ensure all those games are proper contests between 2 teams of adult professionals. There's some transparency missing at the moment, but the basic aim is sound.

Games in hand aren't a huge issue and at least provide some motivation for teams to get games played if they can. It's not going to help teams like Gillingham and Lincoln to build up a big backlog. You'd much rather be the team getting games played and having players training properly.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

EFL seem to be sweating now on 15:16 - Dec 31 with 1011 viewsElderGrizzly

EFL seem to be sweating now on 18:36 - Dec 30 by Mullet

They’ve opened up Pandora’s box on this one haven’t they? I wouldn’t be surprised if legal challenges ensue if teams feel they’ve been relegated/denied promotion because of the actions of others. Not that they’ve done the Blades or Wycombe any good.

What frustrates me most is we played a Bolton side full of kids and so did others for a few weeks, so the integrity argument doesn’t hold up either.

Sheff Utd appear rather unhappy. Different rules, different clubs?

If you have 14 you should be playing. But the grey area of Covid plus injuries appears to be helping some clubs out where covid isn’t the dominating factor
[Post edited 31 Dec 2021 15:19]
EFL seem to be sweating now on 17:06 - Dec 31 with 823 viewspointofblue

EFL seem to be sweating now on 15:16 - Dec 31 by ElderGrizzly

Sheff Utd appear rather unhappy. Different rules, different clubs?

If you have 14 you should be playing. But the grey area of Covid plus injuries appears to be helping some clubs out where covid isn’t the dominating factor
[Post edited 31 Dec 2021 15:19]

Middlesbrough.

Though it sounds like Middlesbrough's issues is a Covid outbreak (with one injury) - I think that's fair enough compared to Covid+Injuries calling off matches. The 13 players rule should be determined by Covid cases only.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

EFL seem to be sweating now on 17:12 - Dec 31 with 802 viewsChurchman

EFL seem to be sweating now on 17:06 - Dec 31 by pointofblue

Middlesbrough.

Though it sounds like Middlesbrough's issues is a Covid outbreak (with one injury) - I think that's fair enough compared to Covid+Injuries calling off matches. The 13 players rule should be determined by Covid cases only.

Sorry, if they and their players haven’t managed Covid properly or they’ve been unlucky, bad luck. If they can field 14 players or youth players or haul back a few loans, so be it. Crack on. Just as Bolton had to a couple of seasons ago. Just be consistent.
EFL seem to be sweating now on 17:13 - Dec 31 with 794 viewsElderGrizzly

EFL seem to be sweating now on 17:06 - Dec 31 by pointofblue

Middlesbrough.

Absolutely agree with that last line. Conflating injuries and covid is beneficial for many clubs
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024