Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sunderland again 21:23 - Dec 30 with 4545 viewsMetal_Hacker

This league is sh1t - really is

Poll: If it were one or the other

Sunderland again on 21:27 - Dec 30 with 3787 viewsDubtractor

That is probably a good score for us, if we entertain any possibility of a late charge for the play offs.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Sunderland again on 21:28 - Dec 30 with 3777 viewsNthsuffolkblue

This is exactly why we will not make the play-offs.

We don't just need to pick up 10 points on one team, we need to pick up an extra 10 points that all the teams above us drop as well as all the points they gain. And not just against the poorer sides but against everyone except Sunderland and Wycombe.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Sunderland again on 21:34 - Dec 30 with 3698 viewsMetal_Hacker

Sunderland again on 21:28 - Dec 30 by Nthsuffolkblue

We don't just need to pick up 10 points on one team, we need to pick up an extra 10 points that all the teams above us drop as well as all the points they gain. And not just against the poorer sides but against everyone except Sunderland and Wycombe.

Could do with Sunderland and Rotherham just leaving everyone else and the 3-6 places start losing points to teams beneath us - so long as we pick up our own wins

Never gonna happen is it

Poll: If it were one or the other

Sunderland again on 21:37 - Dec 30 with 3669 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Sunderland again on 21:34 - Dec 30 by Metal_Hacker

Could do with Sunderland and Rotherham just leaving everyone else and the 3-6 places start losing points to teams beneath us - so long as we pick up our own wins

Never gonna happen is it

If we average 2 points a game for the rest of the season we will be close as long as at least one of 3rd-6th drops in form significantly and 7-10th don't go on a good run.

It is about as likely as England winning the last two tests against Australia.

Sunderland again on 22:01 - Dec 30 with 3520 viewsTheBoyBlue

They've blown up previously this season, could do again. Apart from Rotherham who have got how to get out of this league to a tee, all the teams above us have gone through good form and bad.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Sunderland again on 22:20 - Dec 30 with 3369 viewsMackemLad

Sunderland again on 22:01 - Dec 30 by TheBoyBlue

They've blown up previously this season, could do again. Apart from Rotherham who have got how to get out of this league to a tee, all the teams above us have gone through good form and bad.

We will definitely go on another bad run at some point. Every team will. But we are not your rabbit - Plymouth, Oxford, Portsmouth, MK Dons and Wednesday are the teams you need to slip up. The others should run out of gas once injuries and fixture pile ups begin in spring.

I think Rotherham, Wigan, ourselves and Wycombe will finish in the top 6 leaving a mini league that you need to go on a phenomenal run just to compete in. We did you a big favour tonight both confidence-wise and goal difference-wise to one of your competitors, you should be happy!
Sunderland again on 22:29 - Dec 30 with 3315 viewsGlasgowBlue

Sunderland again on 21:37 - Dec 30 by Nthsuffolkblue

If we average 2 points a game for the rest of the season we will be close as long as at least one of 3rd-6th drops in form significantly and 7-10th don't go on a good run.

10th to 7th are there to be picked off. There are only 6 points between us and 7th placed MK Dons*

We need Plymouth, Oxford or Wycombe to then go on a losing streak. My guess would be Plymouth. Also important to take points off those above us. Very important that we don’t lose to any of 4th to 10th.

It’s doable imo.

*yeah I know some teams have games in hand. But games in hand aren’t the same as points in the bag.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Sunderland again on 22:31 - Dec 30 with 3301 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Sunderland again on 22:01 - Dec 30 by TheBoyBlue

They have gone through good form and bad to average so many points that we need to average 2 ppg and they need to drop in form more than they have so far. It would be more realistic for us if none of them had been through any bad form at all so far.

I honestly think we could average 2 ppg (automatic promotion form) over the last 22 matches and still miss out on the play-offs because those with points already in the bag have done OK and averaged play-off form over their remaining 23 matches.

Login to get fewer ads

Sunderland again on 22:37 - Dec 30 with 3262 viewschrismakin

Sunderland again on 22:29 - Dec 30 by GlasgowBlue

10th to 7th are there to be picked off. There are only 6 points between us and 7th placed MK Dons*

We need Plymouth, Oxford or Wycombe to then go on a losing streak. My guess would be Plymouth. Also important to take points off those above us. Very important that we don’t lose to any of 4th to 10th.

It’s doable imo.

*yeah I know some teams have games in hand. But games in hand aren’t the same as points in the bag.

Also to keep an eye on. Will any of those above lose players in the Jan windows.. like us loan recalls? Maybe players shining and being picked up by champ clubs etc.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Sunderland again on 22:41 - Dec 30 with 3256 viewsPrrrromotionGiven

Taking the view that ultimately playoffs are still the target (if very hard to reach from our present position), it makes logical sense to want the top 2 at least (arguably even the top 4) to pull away as hard as possible. We want them to win every single game (except the ones against us).

We aren't competing with Sunderland any more. Unless they have a shocking run of form they won't be in danger of dropping out of the playoff spots, and even with an astonishing run of form that's the highest we could realistically achieve. What they can do is beat all the teams that are challenging for playoff spots and finish the season as comfortable champions. That's points denied to the likes of Wycombe, Portsmouth, MK Dons..

So it doesn't bother me if Sunderland, Wigan, Plymouth, and Rotherham completely pull away from the pack.
Sunderland again on 22:47 - Dec 30 with 3217 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Sunderland again on 22:29 - Dec 30 by GlasgowBlue

It’s doable imo.

So, say Plymouth have a dreadful last 22 matches of the season and only pick up 30 points. Assuming that Wycombe and/or Oxford don't do even worse and MK Dons don't manage more than 35 from 24 matches (they currently have 38 from 22 so that would constitute a drop in form), we need 74 points to make the play-offs (maybe 73 to sneak in on goal difference).

That is 41 or 42 points minimum needed from 22 matches. Pretty much 2 ppg as well as one of them having terrible form and those above us dropping in their form. As I said. Possible and also highly unlikely.

If we win all the rest of our matches this season, we will be promoted. It isn't going to happen, though.

Sunderland again on 22:49 - Dec 30 with 3192 viewsGlasgowBlue

Sunderland again on 22:47 - Dec 30 by Nthsuffolkblue

So, say Plymouth have a dreadful last 22 matches of the season and only pick up 30 points. Assuming that Wycombe and/or Oxford don't do even worse and MK Dons don't manage more than 35 from 24 matches (they currently have 38 from 22 so that would constitute a drop in form), we need 74 points to make the play-offs (maybe 73 to sneak in on goal difference).

That is 41 or 42 points minimum needed from 22 matches. Pretty much 2 ppg as well as one of them having terrible form and those above us dropping in their form. As I said. Possible and also highly unlikely.

If we win all the rest of our matches this season, we will be promoted. It isn't going to happen, though.

My glass is never anything but half full.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Sunderland again on 00:04 - Dec 31 with 2941 viewsFightingEssex

Sunderland have taken 4 points off of us this season barely getting into gear in either game, so how bad are we?

Poll: Next Ipswich Town manager?

Sunderland again on 07:32 - Dec 31 with 2629 viewstextbackup

Sunderland again on 21:37 - Dec 30 by Nthsuffolkblue

will you be attending any of the remaining games?

just i've noticed on 4/5 posts now you've completely given up, so wondering if theres any point having someone that doesnt believe its possible going to games.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Sunderland again on 07:54 - Dec 31 with 2564 viewsDennyx4

Sunderland again on 21:27 - Dec 30 by Dubtractor

That is probably a good score for us, if we entertain any possibility of a late charge for the play offs.

Agree, we should forget about Rotherham, Sunderland & Wigan - the other three places are what we are aiming for.

Ideally those three teams beat the teams below them.

We do need a good run, but I still think we have a chance of top six.
Sunderland again on 07:57 - Dec 31 with 2554 viewsDennyx4

Think similar to other seasons we will need 75 points - that has to be our target, and if we get there, we will likely make the play offs.

I still think it is possible, just need a good run.
Sunderland again on 08:41 - Dec 31 with 2440 viewsChurchman

Sunderland again on 07:57 - Dec 31 by Dennyx4

Think similar to other seasons we will need 75 points - that has to be our target, and if we get there, we will likely make the play offs.

I still think it is possible, just need a good run.

That’s the key question for me - are we good enough to go on a run? Individually, yes. As a team to date, no. But the past is just that.

If KM and the players can sort that defence out, it’s perfectly possible. It’s why a little more time on the training ground rather than playing Saturday may be beneficial. If Portsmouth can do it in the past couple of months, surely we can.
Sunderland again on 08:49 - Dec 31 with 2409 viewsTractorCam

Surely that makes it more likely we make the play offs?

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Sunderland again on 09:08 - Dec 31 with 2328 viewsGarv

Sunderland again on 22:31 - Dec 30 by Nthsuffolkblue

They have gone through good form and bad to average so many points that we need to average 2 ppg and they need to drop in form more than they have so far. It would be more realistic for us if none of them had been through any bad form at all so far.

I honestly think we could average 2 ppg (automatic promotion form) over the last 22 matches and still miss out on the play-offs because those with points already in the bag have done OK and averaged play-off form over their remaining 23 matches.

The top three or four and have been ridiculously consistent this season, and you can't really see it changing, Sunderland are the only team that look like they could have a wobble every now and then.

It's a much better league than it has been since we dropped into it.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Sunderland again on 09:40 - Dec 31 with 2163 viewsHighgateBlue

Sunderland again on 22:41 - Dec 30 by PrrrromotionGiven

Taking the view that ultimately playoffs are still the target (if very hard to reach from our present position), it makes logical sense to want the top 2 at least (arguably even the top 4) to pull away as hard as possible. We want them to win every single game (except the ones against us).

We aren't competing with Sunderland any more. Unless they have a shocking run of form they won't be in danger of dropping out of the playoff spots, and even with an astonishing run of form that's the highest we could realistically achieve. What they can do is beat all the teams that are challenging for playoff spots and finish the season as comfortable champions. That's points denied to the likes of Wycombe, Portsmouth, MK Dons..

So it doesn't bother me if Sunderland, Wigan, Plymouth, and Rotherham completely pull away from the pack.

I agree with all of that apart from Plymouth. They have fewer points per game than the teams in 5th and 6th.
Sunderland again on 09:41 - Dec 31 with 2143 viewsHighgateBlue

Sunderland again on 21:34 - Dec 30 by Metal_Hacker

Never gonna happen is it

I would add Wigan to that list. Because of their games in hand they have more points per game than anyone in the division.
Sunderland again on 09:48 - Dec 31 with 2116 viewsitfcsuth

I really don’t think it is. I think the League is very competitive, not pretty but competitive, any team can beat any team on their day.
Sunderland again on 10:11 - Dec 31 with 2046 viewsjayessess

Not sure the traffic in front of us makes much difference to our predicament. Ultimately we've got to make our way to a play-off competitive points total and that'll take us past the rest.

That will mean probably a minimum of 13/14 wins from our last 22. We've got 14 games against teams below us, plus 4 home games against teams above us, so it's not by any means impossible. Just really really hard.

It is though a problem that gets massively easier if we have a really big month.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Sunderland again on 10:13 - Dec 31 with 2032 viewstractorboy1978

All we can do is concentrate on ourselves. 2 points per game takes us to 76 points which may or may not be enough. McKenna was right the other night when he said he isn't even looking at the league table at the moment.

We need something like 13 wins, 5 draws, 4 defeats from our remaining 22 games. That's very do-able with the talented, deep squad we've got available. Who knows, if we can get some momentum going, we haven't been able to build any so far this season.
Sunderland again on 10:15 - Dec 31 with 2017 viewsDennyx4

Sunderland again on 08:41 - Dec 31 by Churchman

That’s the key question for me - are we good enough to go on a run? Individually, yes. As a team to date, no. But the past is just that.

If KM and the players can sort that defence out, it’s perfectly possible. It’s why a little more time on the training ground rather than playing Saturday may be beneficial. If Portsmouth can do it in the past couple of months, surely we can.

Think playing the three central defenders has made it harder for teams to score against us, how that works when we play teams with 10 men behind the ball is the key.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024