Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Listening to Richard Osman's Desert Island Discs at the mo - World Cup of bands? 09:27 - Dec 31 with 1237 viewsWeWereZombies

He has just mentioned a casual idea for comparing music:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live:bbc_radio_fourfm

But what if someone actually did run a World Cup to find the best band? Useful way of spending January whilst we get deprived of football by match postponements? Anyway, my band entry is Led Zep and this one is for an impressive opening victory in the qualifiers:

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Listening to Richard Osman's Desert Island Discs at the mo - World Cup of bands? on 11:03 - Dec 31 with 1113 viewsghostofescobar

Hasn’t Steve Lamaqc already done something similar? Maybe it was more around genres rather than bands e.g. punk World Cup. Think he paired off two songs, the listeners voted with the winner going through to the next round, or final, or something.

GhostOfEscobar

Listening to Richard Osman's Desert Island Discs at the mo - World Cup of bands? on 11:41 - Dec 31 with 1066 viewsWhos_blue

Listening to Richard Osman's Desert Island Discs at the mo - World Cup of bands? on 11:03 - Dec 31 by ghostofescobar

Hasn’t Steve Lamaqc already done something similar? Maybe it was more around genres rather than bands e.g. punk World Cup. Think he paired off two songs, the listeners voted with the winner going through to the next round, or final, or something.

Yeah. This has been a fairly regular feature on his show.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Listening to Richard Osman's Desert Island Discs at the mo - World Cup of bands? on 12:04 - Dec 31 with 1046 viewsWhos_blue

I don't know how this post will go, as someone will inevitably be along with The Smiths at some point!

For what it's worth, I'll chuck this in to the mix.

There's a great quote in the comments.

"This is my neighbour's favourite song, whether they like it or not"!!!!

Listening to Richard Osman's Desert Island Discs at the mo - World Cup of bands? on 12:13 - Dec 31 with 1028 viewsGlasgowBlue

The Beatles will win the final with a hat trick of Strawberry Fields Forever, A Day In The Life and Hey Jude, but will put out a weakened team in the early rounds against the minnows with the likes of Daytripper, Let It Be and Paperback Writer.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Listening to Richard Osman's Desert Island Discs at the mo - World Cup of bands? on 12:15 - Dec 31 with 1021 viewsfooters

Save the time and effort and just give it to the Fall. Much easier that way.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Listening to Richard Osman's Desert Island Discs at the mo - World Cup of bands? on 12:16 - Dec 31 with 1021 viewsWhos_blue

Listening to Richard Osman's Desert Island Discs at the mo - World Cup of bands? on 12:13 - Dec 31 by GlasgowBlue

The Beatles will win the final with a hat trick of Strawberry Fields Forever, A Day In The Life and Hey Jude, but will put out a weakened team in the early rounds against the minnows with the likes of Daytripper, Let It Be and Paperback Writer.

Maybe bring Rain off the subs bench if that 4th round tie against non league opposition on a pudding of a pitch is getting tricky.

Listening to Richard Osman's Desert Island Discs at the mo - World Cup of bands? on 13:06 - Dec 31 with 977 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

I fear my potential selections will be the minnows in this comp but, hey, even the WC needs the relative minnows.

How about these to make up the numbers? Might spring a surprise or two.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Listening to Richard Osman's Desert Island Discs at the mo - World Cup of bands? on 18:27 - Dec 31 with 862 viewsBlueBadger

The Smiths failed to qualify after their singer being persistently racist meant they had to play behind closed doors all the time.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

Listening to Richard Osman's Desert Island Discs at the mo - World Cup of bands? on 00:29 - Jan 1 with 784 viewsWeWereZombies

Listening to Richard Osman's Desert Island Discs at the mo - World Cup of bands? on 12:15 - Dec 31 by footers

Save the time and effort and just give it to the Fall. Much easier that way.

The Fall almost qualify for the finals but slip up during the drugs testing:

They get replaced by the next best from qualifiers, bit of a Portugal type band as at least one of the team is as roundly disliked as C Ronaldo:

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024