Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What is the point of VAR 13:34 - Jan 1 with 2304 viewslegoman

If they cannot help the ref make a correct decision? Obvious Arsenal pen. The arsenal player decided to take the ball wide and the keeper took him out. Clear and obvious must be removed and replaced with intelligent intervention by AI.

Poll: Sheepshanks 5 years -v- Evans 5 points

What is the point of VAR on 13:37 - Jan 1 with 1988 viewsTrequartista

In the Premier League, players are now looking for penalties rather than looking to score, resulting in a show called Match of the Day of Penalties which i no longer care to watch. How many penalties are there in VAR-less League One?

VAR has ruined football.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

What is the point of VAR on 13:38 - Jan 1 with 1984 viewsDurovigutum

Without VAR there's no way you'd give a penalty, the ball moves in the direction that you'd expect it to go with a touch from the keeper and arrives at the ball at the same time as the Arsenal players foot. If you overturn that we stop having an on pitch referee and officiating in the lower leagues is over.
What is the point of VAR on 13:41 - Jan 1 with 1960 viewsHerbivore

Really don't think that was an obvious error. Very hard to tell whether Ederson made contact with the player's foot or the ball after the first six slow motion replays so can't really agree that it was a clear penalty.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

What is the point of VAR on 13:45 - Jan 1 with 1932 viewsJ2BLUE

Clearly wasn't an error. He got the ball first.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

What is the point of VAR on 13:49 - Jan 1 with 1918 viewslegoman

What is the point of VAR on 13:37 - Jan 1 by Trequartista

In the Premier League, players are now looking for penalties rather than looking to score, resulting in a show called Match of the Day of Penalties which i no longer care to watch. How many penalties are there in VAR-less League One?

VAR has ruined football.

I love VAR despite the human inadequacies.

What is the point of VAR on 13:51 - Jan 1 with 1896 viewslegoman

What is the point of VAR on 13:41 - Jan 1 by Herbivore

Really don't think that was an obvious error. Very hard to tell whether Ederson made contact with the player's foot or the ball after the first six slow motion replays so can't really agree that it was a clear penalty.

The player would have stayed in control if the keeper didnt crush his foot!

What is the point of VAR on 13:51 - Jan 1 with 1893 viewslegoman

What is the point of VAR on 13:45 - Jan 1 by J2BLUE

Clearly wasn't an error. He got the ball first.

No

What is the point of VAR on 14:01 - Jan 1 with 1848 viewsfloridaboy

No penalty for me, keeper got the slightest touch. How Arsenal can complain about the Gabriel sending off is stupid. Two bookings means red card. He scuffed the spot, obvious card, then he fouled Jesus as he was getting away. Stupid foul, obvious card!

Referee has had a good match. Players mouthing off at referee deserve a booking!

Pity more refs don't stand up to mouthy players!!
Login to get fewer ads

What is the point of VAR on 14:06 - Jan 1 with 1823 viewslegoman

What is the point of VAR on 14:01 - Jan 1 by floridaboy

No penalty for me, keeper got the slightest touch. How Arsenal can complain about the Gabriel sending off is stupid. Two bookings means red card. He scuffed the spot, obvious card, then he fouled Jesus as he was getting away. Stupid foul, obvious card!

Referee has had a good match. Players mouthing off at referee deserve a booking!

100% penalty for Arsenal, clear and obvious to science.

What is the point of VAR on 14:06 - Jan 1 with 1826 viewswkj

I think the technology of VAR is correct for the game, but I don't think we've got the underlying rules for VAR correct just yet.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

What is the point of VAR on 14:07 - Jan 1 with 1820 viewsHerbivore

What is the point of VAR on 13:51 - Jan 1 by legoman

The player would have stayed in control if the keeper didnt crush his foot!

That's a really weird take. Think you must be watching a different incident to everyone else.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

What is the point of VAR on 14:08 - Jan 1 with 1812 viewsTrequartista

What is the point of VAR on 13:49 - Jan 1 by legoman

I love VAR despite the human inadequacies.

Yeah i threw that in as a bit of a grenade, although i stand by what i said, i only mean for subjective decisions, i am in favour of VAR for objective decisions, even offside if the offside law is altered slightly.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

What is the point of VAR on 14:48 - Jan 1 with 1706 viewslegoman

Thank you Rio Ferdinand... A man with a heart and a brain!

What is the point of VAR on 16:00 - Jan 1 with 1590 viewsGarv

What is the point of VAR

...would have done.

Someone refereeing a game and making subjective decisions based on their own judgement, just using a screen and replays.

Always was, is and will be rubbish.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

What is the point of VAR on 16:51 - Jan 1 with 1478 viewsGarv

What is the point of VAR on 13:37 - Jan 1 by Trequartista

VAR has ruined football.

Correct. Why are we so keen to decide games with a free shot at goal from 12 yards?

My advice, as it's been for a while now, is simply give fewer penalties and fouls in general, and stop whining about inconsistency.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

What is the point of VAR on 16:58 - Jan 1 with 1463 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

What is the point of VAR on 14:06 - Jan 1 by wkj

I think the technology of VAR is correct for the game, but I don't think we've got the underlying rules for VAR correct just yet.

A combination perhaps of the rules and allowing people like Lee Mason to be in charge of VAR.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

What is the point of VAR on 17:03 - Jan 1 with 1454 viewsNthsuffolkblue

What is the point of VAR on 16:00 - Jan 1 by Garv

What is the point of VAR

...would have done.

Someone refereeing a game and making subjective decisions based on their own judgement, just using a screen and replays.

Always was, is and will be rubbish.

VAR has been brought in as a response to the analysis of every refereeing decision in the misunderstanding that there is always a right answer that everyone who knows the rules will always come to. How often do the experts disagree on whether a decision was correct? Players make mistakes and it is part of the game. Referees also make subjective calls and that is part of the game.

Goal line technology has clearly improved the game. There is probably potential for something similar to be introduced to determine offside instead of this current freeze frame and draw lines from an angle that is not in line with the players anyway.

VAR should be reserved for a clear and obvious error from the referee - an incident not seen clearly by the officials or where they clearly made the wrong call. The referee should be given the opportunity to view footage and correct it provided they agree.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

What is the point of VAR on 17:16 - Jan 1 with 1416 viewsBasuco

VAR, or a different Premier League referee looking at the incident with the benefit of slow motion and multiple replays, seem to consistently choose not to give the correct decision. Nothing wrong with VAR in general, the rules of the game just need to be consistently applied, this appears to be very difficult for the current crop of referee's.
What is the point of VAR on 18:45 - Jan 1 with 1307 viewsellaandred

What is the point of VAR on 16:58 - Jan 1 by You_Bloo_Right

A combination perhaps of the rules and allowing people like Lee Mason to be in charge of VAR.

Or worse, Stuart (ghost goal) Attwell
What is the point of VAR on 10:34 - Jan 2 with 1116 viewsstrikalite

What is the point of VAR on 16:51 - Jan 1 by Garv

Correct. Why are we so keen to decide games with a free shot at goal from 12 yards?

My advice, as it's been for a while now, is simply give fewer penalties and fouls in general, and stop whining about inconsistency.

Been a few rule changes over the years now as the game is changing, so my rule change would be making the penalty area smaller, bring it in by five yards, watch players stay on their feet...

The first possible pen the keeper got some of the ball, wasn't clear and obvious that he didn't anyway..

The second Silva dived no doubt BUT was cute as his shirt was being pulled, maybe felt a bit of contact too so is entitled to go down believe it or not..
[Post edited 2 Jan 2022 10:35]
What is the point of VAR on 10:54 - Jan 2 with 1090 viewsChurchman

What is the point of VAR on 14:06 - Jan 1 by wkj

Goal line technology is an obvious improvement. VAR at the moment for me isn’t an improvement because of the way it’s implemented/underlying rules.

Personally, I’d never have introduced it primarily because of the way it breaks up the game. But It’s not going away, so I think speed up the technology, improve the underlying rules and implementation and it will then be ok.
What is the point of VAR on 11:01 - Jan 2 with 1077 viewsCheltenham_Blue

What is the point of VAR on 14:01 - Jan 1 by floridaboy

Like Drysdale?

[Post edited 2 Jan 2022 11:01]

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

What is the point of VAR on 11:02 - Jan 2 with 1064 viewsZXBlue

What is the point of VAR on 10:34 - Jan 2 by strikalite

Been a few rule changes over the years now as the game is changing, so my rule change would be making the penalty area smaller, bring it in by five yards, watch players stay on their feet...

The first possible pen the keeper got some of the ball, wasn't clear and obvious that he didn't anyway..

The second Silva dived no doubt BUT was cute as his shirt was being pulled, maybe felt a bit of contact too so is entitled to go down believe it or not..
[Post edited 2 Jan 2022 10:35]

Last para is wrong on two counts.

He is not "entitled to go down" if he feels contact. That is cheating.

However, it was clearly a foul because a leg was put directly across his path even without the shirt pulling.
What is the point of VAR on 11:11 - Jan 2 with 1046 viewsRadlett_blue

What is the point of VAR on 10:54 - Jan 2 by Churchman

Goal line technology is an obvious improvement. VAR at the moment for me isn’t an improvement because of the way it’s implemented/underlying rules.

Personally, I’d never have introduced it primarily because of the way it breaks up the game. But It’s not going away, so I think speed up the technology, improve the underlying rules and implementation and it will then be ok.

The original idea of VAR was sound as it was designed to eliminate "clear & obvious errors". However, it very quickly became used for hairsbreadth off-sides, when a player was level & for ludicrous, soft penalty decisions. Naturally, players have adapted to the new system & are keener then ever to go down after any contact, in the knowledge that the VAR goon will give the penalty. Don't get me started on the absurd hand-ball decisions.
Refs also still seem to apply the laws differently whereby a goalkeeper is allowed to make a dangerous tackle, safe in the knowledge that if he gets any contact on the ball, he won't be deemed to have made a foul & certainly won't get a card.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

What is the point of VAR on 11:16 - Jan 2 with 1037 viewsstrikalite

What is the point of VAR on 11:02 - Jan 2 by ZXBlue

Last para is wrong on two counts.

He is not "entitled to go down" if he feels contact. That is cheating.

However, it was clearly a foul because a leg was put directly across his path even without the shirt pulling.

Yep it's cheating, absolutely it is, but I've heard this now from many pundits, Shearer says it all the time, if a player feels contact then he's entitled to go down, so he used to obviously, what message does this send, surprised by Shearer....

If you watch the ref after he's looked at the screen he indicates to one of the Arsenal players that the shirt was pulled...think that's why he gave it, yes a leg made contact too no doubt agree there..
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024