Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
£170 a month for gas/electric come April 15:23 - Jan 2 with 4759 viewsgtsb1966

the average household bill will be if this article is correct. Six million in fuel poverty. That's absolutely shocking. With everything else going up and the burden of covid to pay for the future for our poorest is bleaker than ever.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/society/2022/jan/01/6m-homes-uk
[Post edited 2 Jan 2022 15:25]
£170 a month for gas/electric come April on 15:28 - Jan 2 with 3858 viewsfooters

Still, better to have these things in private ownership. That ought to make everything cheaper.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

£170 a month for gas/electric come April on 15:36 - Jan 2 with 3817 viewsNthsuffolkblue

£170 a month for gas/electric come April on 15:28 - Jan 2 by footers

Still, better to have these things in private ownership. That ought to make everything cheaper.

You missed the words "for the Government" and the phrase "more beneficial to the rich shareholders" from that. Hence the much higher cost to the consumer who now has the freedom to choose which set of shareholders to give the profits to as well. Bonus!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

£170 a month for gas/electric come April on 15:39 - Jan 2 with 3796 viewsJimmyJazz

All the more reason to get on a fixed rate plan that lasts a year or two, NOW.

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

£170 a month for gas/electric come April on 15:43 - Jan 2 with 3775 viewsDubtractor

£170 a month for gas/electric come April on 15:28 - Jan 2 by footers

The great thing with putting all the utilities companies into private ownership, is that as well as the prices going up significantly over time, huge numbers of jobs have been cut too.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

£170 a month for gas/electric come April on 16:06 - Jan 2 with 3690 viewsChurchman

£170 a month for gas/electric come April on 15:43 - Jan 2 by Dubtractor

The great thing with putting all the utilities companies into private ownership, is that as well as the prices going up significantly over time, huge numbers of jobs have been cut too.

Ah, but you have to remember the words of multi-millionaire Francis Maude ‘there’s nothing the private sector cannot do cheaper, faster, more efficiently than the public sector’.

He’s a peer now. Living off the fat of the land. Dreadful creature.
£170 a month for gas/electric come April on 16:07 - Jan 2 with 3689 viewsjaykay

well the government of low taxes could do away with the vat element . oh it was them * who introduced it on electric , which hits the poor the most.
* tories

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

£170 a month for gas/electric come April on 16:07 - Jan 2 with 3686 viewsHerbivore

£170 a month for gas/electric come April on 15:39 - Jan 2 by JimmyJazz

All the more reason to get on a fixed rate plan that lasts a year or two, NOW.

Not sure the current fixed rate deals are any better. I had a look the other day and they are eye wateringly expensive at the minute.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

£170 a month for gas/electric come April on 16:23 - Jan 2 with 3626 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

£170 a month for gas/electric come April on 15:43 - Jan 2 by Dubtractor

If you see Sid tell him.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Login to get fewer ads

£170 a month for gas/electric come April on 18:41 - Jan 2 with 3402 viewslongtimefan

£170 a month for gas/electric come April on 16:07 - Jan 2 by Herbivore

Not sure the current fixed rate deals are any better. I had a look the other day and they are eye wateringly expensive at the minute.

Indeed. I was lucky my previous 2 year deal expired in August and I got a 3 year fix at that point. Even then it was around a 30% increase on my previous deal but obviously much better than what’s available currently.
£170 a month for gas/electric come April on 19:14 - Jan 2 with 3342 viewsHerbivore

£170 a month for gas/electric come April on 18:41 - Jan 2 by longtimefan

Indeed. I was lucky my previous 2 year deal expired in August and I got a 3 year fix at that point. Even then it was around a 30% increase on my previous deal but obviously much better than what’s available currently.

All the fixed term deals I could find were over £200 a month, for two of us using a fairly average amount of energy. Even with the price cap going up, I suspect standard flexi rates will be cheaper for a while yet.

£170 a month for gas/electric come April on 19:17 - Jan 2 with 3334 viewstextbackup

we spend 115 a month for a family of 4 for gas and electric. what on earth are some of you lot doing. just turn the heating off

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

£170 a month for gas/electric come April on 19:25 - Jan 2 with 3305 viewslongtimefan

£170 a month for gas/electric come April on 19:17 - Jan 2 by textbackup

we spend 115 a month for a family of 4 for gas and electric. what on earth are some of you lot doing. just turn the heating off

My 2 year deal that expired in Aug worked out at £95 per month. New 3 year deal is £125. This is for a 4 bed detached.
£170 a month for gas/electric come April on 20:10 - Jan 2 with 3166 viewsJ2BLUE

£170 a month for gas/electric come April on 19:17 - Jan 2 by textbackup

I only bothered to look at the cost of gas a couple of months ago. I thought that's really cheap, what is the fuss all about? Then saw my boiler is 30kW

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

£170 a month for gas/electric come April on 20:15 - Jan 2 with 3146 viewsjeera

£170 a month for gas/electric come April on 20:10 - Jan 2 by J2BLUE

I only bothered to look at the cost of gas a couple of months ago. I thought that's really cheap, what is the fuss all about? Then saw my boiler is 30kW

Well that's a long-winded post about Utility Warehouse the world will never see.

Sigh.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

£170 a month for gas/electric come April on 20:17 - Jan 2 with 3136 viewsGeomorph

£170 a month for gas/electric come April on 16:06 - Jan 2 by Churchman

Ah, but you have to remember the words of multi-millionaire Francis Maude ‘there’s nothing the private sector cannot do cheaper, faster, more efficiently than the public sector’.

He’s a peer now. Living off the fat of the land. Dreadful creature.

He’s a c£NT
£170 a month for gas/electric come April on 20:30 - Jan 2 with 3083 viewsBent_double

I thought I was OK - had a contract with a business gas supplier (CNG) that was up for renewal next summer - plenty of time for these crazy gas prices to sort themselves out, or so I thought.

The company went bust early December, I've now been moved to another gas company I've never heard of (pozitive), and because I didn't want to sign a contract with them, I'm paying a stupid amount per kwh.

I agreed a 3-year deal with BG a few days after finding out what pozitive were charging, only to find out over a week later that they were refusing to let me move to BG, because of some dispute they've had with them in the past. Now, of course the BG offer had expired and prices had gone up even more.

And the best bit is that pozitive are being very cagey about the almost £400 credit I had with CNG...no doubt hoping I will just pay their outrageous bill , then move to another supplier before I can get that credit back.

What a bleeedin mess

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

£170 a month for gas/electric come April on 20:41 - Jan 2 with 3049 viewsElderGrizzly

Agree. Most advice is to stay on a variable rate as you protected by the cap.

All fixed price deals, and there aren’t many, are apparently at least twice the current cap.
£170 a month for gas/electric come April on 01:16 - Jan 3 with 2744 viewsJimmyJazz

Yes, but if you get one that doesn't penalise you (or not too much) for breaking the contract then you will protect yourself from further hikes. And if prices drop then you can change.

Are they in the £170 range, obviously depends on your usage?

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

£170 a month for gas/electric come April on 02:11 - Jan 3 with 2669 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

£170 a month for gas/electric come April on 01:16 - Jan 3 by JimmyJazz

Yes, but if you get one that doesn't penalise you (or not too much) for breaking the contract then you will protect yourself from further hikes. And if prices drop then you can change.

Are they in the £170 range, obviously depends on your usage?

The cheapest fixed price deals currently are way above the cap though. The cap will rise again in April and may do so again after that, however it will have to go some way for a fixed price long term deal to end up being cheaper. That’s why all the experts, eg. Martin Lewis, are advising to stay on the variable rate, contrary to some of the dodgy advice in this thread

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

£170 a month for gas/electric come April on 08:10 - Jan 3 with 2489 viewsHerbivore

£170 a month for gas/electric come April on 02:11 - Jan 3 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

The cheapest fixed price deals currently are way above the cap though. The cap will rise again in April and may do so again after that, however it will have to go some way for a fixed price long term deal to end up being cheaper. That’s why all the experts, eg. Martin Lewis, are advising to stay on the variable rate, contrary to some of the dodgy advice in this thread

This. I'd say getting yourself tied into a really expensive fixed rate deal is about the worst thing you could do right now.

£170 a month for gas/electric come April on 08:16 - Jan 3 with 2478 viewsLeaky

£170 a month for gas/electric come April on 20:10 - Jan 2 by J2BLUE

30 kw, you either live in a fairly large house or its a combination boiler. If its the later it will only run at any where near 30kw when you turn the hot tap on.
£170 a month for gas/electric come April on 10:53 - Jan 3 with 2237 viewsJ2BLUE

£170 a month for gas/electric come April on 08:16 - Jan 3 by Leaky

30 kw, you either live in a fairly large house or its a combination boiler. If its the later it will only run at any where near 30kw when you turn the hot tap on.

It's a combination boiler. Never knew that, cheers.

I live in a large-ish flat.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

£170 a month for gas/electric come April on 11:10 - Jan 3 with 2217 viewsWhos_blue

Like many, my deal ended in December.
I'm with So energy, as I like their green credentials.
The 1 and 2 year fixed were both almost double what I was paying. The variable rate is a little under 50% more expensive, so for me it was obvious to drop on to the variable.
I had a couple of calls from SE advising me to move on to a fix, but when I explained the price difference even the sales people admitted defeat!
Energy prices should be a big worry to us all. I'm not helped at home by a family competing with each other in the daily competition of who can leave the lights on in the most rooms we're not even using!
Martin Lewis offers some excellent advice here:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2021/10/martin-lewis---do-nothing--with-y

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

£170 a month for gas/electric come April on 11:21 - Jan 3 with 2201 viewshoppy

£170 a month for gas/electric come April on 11:10 - Jan 3 by Whos_blue

Like many, my deal ended in December.
I'm with So energy, as I like their green credentials.
The 1 and 2 year fixed were both almost double what I was paying. The variable rate is a little under 50% more expensive, so for me it was obvious to drop on to the variable.
I had a couple of calls from SE advising me to move on to a fix, but when I explained the price difference even the sales people admitted defeat!
Energy prices should be a big worry to us all. I'm not helped at home by a family competing with each other in the daily competition of who can leave the lights on in the most rooms we're not even using!
Martin Lewis offers some excellent advice here:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2021/10/martin-lewis---do-nothing--with-y

Would that still be the most reliable advice, given that was from October - I'm assuming so, but didn't know if anyone had any more up to date advice. We're currently with bulb, and wondering if we should 'do nothing' still or switch? (My brother does UW, so has said he could get us savings - but would rather have some impartial advice rather than just go with his blindly).

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

£170 a month for gas/electric come April on 11:41 - Jan 3 with 2169 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

£170 a month for gas/electric come April on 11:21 - Jan 3 by hoppy

Would that still be the most reliable advice, given that was from October - I'm assuming so, but didn't know if anyone had any more up to date advice. We're currently with bulb, and wondering if we should 'do nothing' still or switch? (My brother does UW, so has said he could get us savings - but would rather have some impartial advice rather than just go with his blindly).

Yep - still advising to stay with the variable rate

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2021/12/martin-lewis--even-the-cheapest-d

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024