Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
11 points is then, (n/t) 17:18 - Jan 2 with 4574 viewsbilllm

11 points is then, (n/t) on 17:29 - Jan 2 with 3405 viewsGeoffSentence

and 22 games to make that difference up. One point every two games. That is a tough ask.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

We are going backwards ... McKenna out! (n/t) on 17:29 - Jan 2 with 3400 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

11 points is then, (n/t) on 17:32 - Jan 2 with 3382 viewsNthsuffolkblue

11 points is then, (n/t) on 17:29 - Jan 2 by GeoffSentence

and 22 games to make that difference up. One point every two games. That is a tough ask.

I honestly can't see us doing it.

Someone did point out that we only need worry about ourselves and if we get 2 ppg which is what we expected from the squad at the start of the season, we should have enough points.

It just feels like the top 6 or so sides are doing a lot better than in most seasons. Perhaps there will be a few who will drop a good number of points over the rest of the season but it feels a massive ask to get into the play-offs from here.

Which is also why McKenna can only be judged on results and not whether he can haul us into them.

11 points is then, (n/t) on 17:37 - Jan 2 with 3313 viewsSouthfieldsBlue

Very difficult but not impossible to catch up, whilst it does require a big improvement in form, it isn't an absurd level required. Season is definitely not dead and we shouldn't treat it as if it is (538 still has us with a 13% of making the playoffs from today), but McKenna shouldn't be considered a failure if we don't make the play-offs from here, only on if we improve and how substantially.
11 points is then, (n/t) on 18:01 - Jan 2 with 3182 viewsrgp1

11 points is then, (n/t) on 17:37 - Jan 2 by SouthfieldsBlue

Very difficult but not impossible to catch up, whilst it does require a big improvement in form, it isn't an absurd level required. Season is definitely not dead and we shouldn't treat it as if it is (538 still has us with a 13% of making the playoffs from today), but McKenna shouldn't be considered a failure if we don't make the play-offs from here, only on if we improve and how substantially.

It's a bit like the 4 by 100 relay where unfortunately the previous 3 managers have passed the baton over late, leaving McKenna little chance on the last lap!
11 points is then, (n/t) on 18:08 - Jan 2 with 3137 viewsChrisd

It’s not impossible, but very unlikely. I’d just like us to finish the season strongly over the remaining months to give us hope and momentum for next season. I’m certainly not ruling 6th place out completely, but I’m a realist too.
[Post edited 2 Jan 2022 18:11]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

11 points is then, (n/t) on 18:10 - Jan 2 with 3121 viewspeterleeblue

Need to view this in bite size chunks.
For example. If we were 6 points behind with 12 games to go we would still be going for it. So that's part 1 and then with 6 points with 10 games to go it is not insurmountable.

Yes it needs good form but no reason Mckenna can't get atune out of our squad.
11 points is then, (n/t) on 18:16 - Jan 2 with 3084 viewsDavoIPB

Think results yesterday and today, show that everybody (apart from Rotherham perhaps) can be beaten on this league.

We should concentrate on getting 3 points each game and others above will drop points at some point. Still 11 points is a lot to make up.
Login to get fewer ads

11 points is then, (n/t) on 18:31 - Jan 2 with 3016 viewstextbackup

we finished about 8 points off 6th in the championship (in 7th) and i was told we were pushing for the playoffs....

thats got nothing to do with this thread, but just wanted to say it

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

11 points is then, (n/t) on 18:39 - Jan 2 with 2960 viewsHighgateBlue

11 points is then, (n/t) on 17:32 - Jan 2 by Nthsuffolkblue

I honestly can't see us doing it.

Someone did point out that we only need worry about ourselves and if we get 2 ppg which is what we expected from the squad at the start of the season, we should have enough points.

It just feels like the top 6 or so sides are doing a lot better than in most seasons. Perhaps there will be a few who will drop a good number of points over the rest of the season but it feels a massive ask to get into the play-offs from here.

Which is also why McKenna can only be judged on results and not whether he can haul us into them.

I think it's very hard to be confident that 76 points will be good enough for the top six this year, even if we do manage to get 2ppg from here on in.

However, 2ppg the following season under K-Mac, and we'll be laughing. In a good way. Not in a "you have to laugh or you'd cry" sort of way...
11 points is then, (n/t) on 18:40 - Jan 2 with 2953 viewshoppy

11 points is then, (n/t) on 18:16 - Jan 2 by DavoIPB

Think results yesterday and today, show that everybody (apart from Rotherham perhaps) can be beaten on this league.

We should concentrate on getting 3 points each game and others above will drop points at some point. Still 11 points is a lot to make up.

Shrewsbury getting their win against Wednesday today is one such example, which means the gap between us and Wednesday is 5 points now, with the same number of games played.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

11 points is then, (n/t) on 18:48 - Jan 2 with 2888 viewstextbackup

11 points is then, (n/t) on 18:40 - Jan 2 by hoppy

Shrewsbury getting their win against Wednesday today is one such example, which means the gap between us and Wednesday is 5 points now, with the same number of games played.

exactly, positive thinking..... i know its hard to with town, but still

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

11 points is then, (n/t) on 19:18 - Jan 2 with 2773 viewsbilllm

We've had a few good days without playing, now we no excactly where we are,
11 points is then, (n/t) on 20:42 - Jan 2 with 2554 viewsMattinLondon

It’s a tough ask and we’ve made it difficult for ourselves but it’s not exactly impossible- unlikely, but not impossible.

I’m hoping that the new manager installs a new mentality resulting in the team being more positive and harder to crack open.

If we get a couple of good players in, if we start winning and confidence sets in, if we become better tactically then it’ll be possible to make the playoffs. A lot of ‘ifs’ but under Cook we had no chance whatsoever.
11 points is then, (n/t) on 20:46 - Jan 2 with 2536 viewsCheltenham_Blue

There is absolutely zero point in this kind of post. We either do it or we don't but multiple posts saying how we definitely won't does nothing at all.

One game at a time, three points at a time, and we see where we are at the end of the season.

Hopefully in 6th.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

11 points is then, (n/t) on 20:49 - Jan 2 with 2510 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Which is fine. Except Wednesday are 8th.

11 points is then, (n/t) on 21:16 - Jan 2 with 2416 viewshoppy

11 points is then, (n/t) on 20:49 - Jan 2 by Nthsuffolkblue

Which is fine. Except Wednesday are 8th.

Yes, which is one of the teams above us… and almost everyone has been saying that we’ve got no chance of making the playoffs because of so many teams being above us… what this shows is that not all those teams are going to win all their games…

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

11 points is then, (n/t) on 21:31 - Jan 2 with 2355 viewsNthsuffolkblue

11 points is then, (n/t) on 21:16 - Jan 2 by hoppy

Yes, which is one of the teams above us… and almost everyone has been saying that we’ve got no chance of making the playoffs because of so many teams being above us… what this shows is that not all those teams are going to win all their games…

Yes, we need to catch the teams above us but we have further to go to catch those currently doing better.

Ultimately, it would need a combination of automatic promotion form sustained for half a season from us and poor form from at least two of 3rd-7th. Not impossible but highly unlikely.

11 points is then, (n/t) on 22:38 - Jan 2 with 2214 viewsFightingEssex

11 points is then, (n/t) on 20:46 - Jan 2 by Cheltenham_Blue

There is absolutely zero point in this kind of post. We either do it or we don't but multiple posts saying how we definitely won't does nothing at all.

One game at a time, three points at a time, and we see where we are at the end of the season.

Hopefully in 6th.

No amount of forum posts will change it one way or another, but anyone realistic can see it’s too much to expect this season and that Cook was a massive failure here. Will McKenna get more time? Depends how much money the pension fund is willing to lose. I doubt they’re too happy with the 50-60mil loss in year one between buying the club and the investment in the team. Cook and cos contracts will have to be paid off too. It’s going to be a interesting year.

Poll: Next Ipswich Town manager?

11 points is then, (n/t) on 22:38 - Jan 2 with 2212 viewsDennyx4

11 points is then, (n/t) on 21:31 - Jan 2 by Nthsuffolkblue

Yes, we need to catch the teams above us but we have further to go to catch those currently doing better.

Ultimately, it would need a combination of automatic promotion form sustained for half a season from us and poor form from at least two of 3rd-7th. Not impossible but highly unlikely.

I do believe if we hit the form required, we will make the play offs - IF and that for me is the biggest issue we can get 2 points per game for the rest of the season, we should make the play offs. It is unusual for 76 points to not make the play-offs.

It is a very competitive league this year, and that will assist us for the next two months, whilst other teams still have the chance of making the play-offs or avoid relegation, and taking points off each other.

I do think we can disregard Sunderland, Rotherham & Wigan - it is the other three slots that we are aiming for. Even if we make the play-offs, it is still a really tough challenge, but dont give up on it yet.
11 points is then, (n/t) on 22:42 - Jan 2 with 2198 viewsBluroo

11 points is then, (n/t) on 21:31 - Jan 2 by Nthsuffolkblue

I look at it that it’s in our hands and we needed 15 wins from 23 games, after Wycombe need 14 from 22. So far so good and the odds have slightly improved!

Not that interested in other results, quietly confident that side of things will work out in our favour. We’ve just got to do our job.

It’s a tough ask but looking at the fixture list there are definitely 14 winnable games in there. Especially over the next month or so, with a new manager bounce we could be looking at needing 10 from 18 quite quickly and the situation would be looking much more doable.

A lot of it comes down to KM if he’s a special one and I have some high hopes in that regard.
11 points is then, (n/t) on 22:55 - Jan 2 with 2147 viewsBlue_Heath

Incredibly unlikely to happen, I am looking for McKenna to better Cook's points tally and build some momentum for next season, play offs would be a bonus but really can't imagine we will make it.
11 points is then, (n/t) on 08:07 - Jan 3 with 1799 viewsChurchman

11 points is then, (n/t) on 20:46 - Jan 2 by Cheltenham_Blue

Hopefully in 6th.

Agreed. This is as much about developing a winning mentality and habit as anything else. We haven’t had that in years. If KM is able to pull together a real team and is able to develop that it will be interesting to see where it takes us.

I suspect we will fail to make the top six, but you never know. 3 points per game means things can change quite rapidly, as they have for Portsmouth, if you put a run together.

Even if we do come up short, any momentum we gain will stand us well for next season. It’s what has happened with Wigan this year.
11 points is then, (n/t) on 08:45 - Jan 3 with 1731 viewsWestcountryblue

I don't think it's impossible, but it will depend on 3 factors.

1. McKenna getting more out of the likes of Edwards, Harper, Fraser, Celina and other under performing players who 'should' be able to walk into any side in this division.

2. Good recruitment. We have been carrying players like Nsiala, Nolan, Jackson etc for too long. While they may be good characters and professionals, they haven't and won't take us to where we want to get to. We must be ruthless here and continue to clear the decks. Hopefully, this will be supported by strong recruitment of incoming players.

3. Lincoln, Wimbledon, Gillingham, Accrington, Bolton as well as our Febuary fixtures represent a huge opportunity to the club to go on a run and build some momentum. This is a huge 'if' though, as this arguably hasn't happened since 2014.

The next few games are 100% do or die territory for our play off hopes
[Post edited 3 Jan 2022 9:10]
11 points is then, (n/t) on 09:11 - Jan 3 with 1649 viewsRamRob

11 points is then, (n/t) on 08:45 - Jan 3 by Westcountryblue

I don't think it's impossible, but it will depend on 3 factors.

1. McKenna getting more out of the likes of Edwards, Harper, Fraser, Celina and other under performing players who 'should' be able to walk into any side in this division.

2. Good recruitment. We have been carrying players like Nsiala, Nolan, Jackson etc for too long. While they may be good characters and professionals, they haven't and won't take us to where we want to get to. We must be ruthless here and continue to clear the decks. Hopefully, this will be supported by strong recruitment of incoming players.

3. Lincoln, Wimbledon, Gillingham, Accrington, Bolton as well as our Febuary fixtures represent a huge opportunity to the club to go on a run and build some momentum. This is a huge 'if' though, as this arguably hasn't happened since 2014.

The next few games are 100% do or die territory for our play off hopes
[Post edited 3 Jan 2022 9:10]

I'll add a fourth: the teams above us also have to play each other, so there will be dropped points, some are very inconsistent, after the top 3 there doesn't appear to be 1 team performing consistently let alone 3 that would prevent us getting into the playoffs

Poll: What should be the music when opposition score?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024