Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
On the joy of Epping Forest 10:20 - Jan 4 with 2006 viewsgiant_stow

Just in case any Londoners still didn't realise that this gem is worth a visit, here's a link:

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2022/jan/04/for-epic-trees-and-eco-rays-of-ho

Wonderful place that helped keep me and many others semi-sane in Lockdown.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

On the joy of Epping Forest on 10:24 - Jan 4 with 1960 viewsEwan_Oozami

Rough place apparently...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

On the joy of Epping Forest on 10:30 - Jan 4 with 1935 viewsSomethingBlue

Yep, echo that, we'd never been until the first lockdown but it's not *too* far a drive from Crouch End so we tried it and then kept coming back ... such a variety of great walks and interesting features, it's an absolute treasure.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

On the joy of Epping Forest on 10:37 - Jan 4 with 1901 viewshoppy

I’ve often walked there and always find something different. I used to live, and my son still does live in Enfield, so it’s not far to go. When I see him, that’s one of our regular activities - having a walk there. Beautiful.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

On the joy of Epping Forest on 10:49 - Jan 4 with 1842 viewsChurchman

Surely with the pressing need for housing, we should have this down and the land used for affordable housing. Mixed terracing and some blocks of flats. Nice bit of profit for the council and the developers - what’s not to like?

Only joking. My sister lives in Forest Gate quite close to it and it’s lovely. London is lucky in the amount of green spaces it has and these should be cherished. Don’t tell Johnson’s crowd or the builders will be in before you can say Boris is a vacuous buffoon.
On the joy of Epping Forest on 12:23 - Jan 4 with 1680 viewsStokieBlue

On the joy of Epping Forest on 10:30 - Jan 4 by SomethingBlue

Yep, echo that, we'd never been until the first lockdown but it's not *too* far a drive from Crouch End so we tried it and then kept coming back ... such a variety of great walks and interesting features, it's an absolute treasure.

The Parkland Walk over your way is also lovely although I guess a bit more limited in the scope of the walking.

Cycled through Epping Forest about 6 weeks ago, it's lovely.

SB
[Post edited 4 Jan 2022 12:25]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

On the joy of Epping Forest on 12:25 - Jan 4 with 1664 viewsleitrimblue

Early morning shallow grave digging?
On the joy of Epping Forest on 12:29 - Jan 4 with 1638 viewsgiant_stow

On the joy of Epping Forest on 12:23 - Jan 4 by StokieBlue

The Parkland Walk over your way is also lovely although I guess a bit more limited in the scope of the walking.

SB

Is that the old train line that goes up to Ally Pally? Heard a lot of people talk about that, but never quite made it.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

On the joy of Epping Forest on 12:30 - Jan 4 with 1632 viewsgiant_stow

On the joy of Epping Forest on 12:25 - Jan 4 by leitrimblue

Early morning shallow grave digging?

Checking my crops' progress.

Login to get fewer ads

On the joy of Epping Forest on 12:31 - Jan 4 with 1618 viewsleitrimblue

On the joy of Epping Forest on 12:30 - Jan 4 by giant_stow

Checking my crops' progress.

Favorite Norwich fan ever😁
On the joy of Epping Forest on 12:32 - Jan 4 with 1611 viewsSomethingBlue

On the joy of Epping Forest on 12:23 - Jan 4 by StokieBlue

SB

Parkland Walk is great, walk or run along there regularly. The lesser-known high bit between Highgate Wood and Alexandra Palace has brilliant views, and is also a great excuse to walk around the *even* lesser-known Queen's Wood further down, which is one of my favourite places round here.
[Post edited 4 Jan 2022 12:33]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

On the joy of Epping Forest on 12:46 - Jan 4 with 1557 viewsgiant_stow

On the joy of Epping Forest on 12:31 - Jan 4 by leitrimblue

Favorite Norwich fan ever😁

tee hee - likewise!

On the joy of Epping Forest on 12:47 - Jan 4 with 1550 viewsStokieBlue

On the joy of Epping Forest on 12:32 - Jan 4 by SomethingBlue

Parkland Walk is great, walk or run along there regularly. The lesser-known high bit between Highgate Wood and Alexandra Palace has brilliant views, and is also a great excuse to walk around the *even* lesser-known Queen's Wood further down, which is one of my favourite places round here.
[Post edited 4 Jan 2022 12:33]

I'll have to head up there again soon and do the whole thing again, as you say, the quieter bits are lovely.

Can also go south along the Parkland Walk, through the Woodberry Down nature reserve, through Clissold Park and then into Abney Park Cemetery which is also nice and I sometimes do in reverse to that.

SB
[Post edited 4 Jan 2022 12:47]

On the joy of Epping Forest on 12:55 - Jan 4 with 1517 viewsfooters

On the joy of Epping Forest on 12:47 - Jan 4 by StokieBlue

I'll have to head up there again soon and do the whole thing again, as you say, the quieter bits are lovely.

Can also go south along the Parkland Walk, through the Woodberry Down nature reserve, through Clissold Park and then into Abney Park Cemetery which is also nice and I sometimes do in reverse to that.

SB

Word has it that the Gatehouse in Highgate offers some nice tapas-style food, ales and wine for anyone who reaches the end of Parkland Walk. Always good to reward yourself after a good little walk.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

On the joy of Epping Forest on 13:03 - Jan 4 with 1473 viewsfactual_blue

On the joy of Epping Forest on 10:49 - Jan 4 by Churchman

Surely with the pressing need for housing, we should have this down and the land used for affordable housing. Mixed terracing and some blocks of flats. Nice bit of profit for the council and the developers - what’s not to like?

Only joking. My sister lives in Forest Gate quite close to it and it’s lovely. London is lucky in the amount of green spaces it has and these should be cherished. Don’t tell Johnson’s crowd or the builders will be in before you can say Boris is a vacuous buffoon.

Isn't much of the forest owned by The City Of London?

I would imagine if you cross that institution they'll do you up like a kipper.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

On the joy of Epping Forest on 13:06 - Jan 4 with 1450 viewsfooters

On the joy of Epping Forest on 13:03 - Jan 4 by factual_blue

It's a very strange set-up the whole City of London Corporation, innit?

Do you have any interesting facts about it, Methuselah?

On the joy of Epping Forest on 13:06 - Jan 4 with 1451 viewsgiant_stow

Think your right. I also think they own or protect East London's 'green lung' the Lea Valley - another wonderful spot for walks. London is indeed blessed with green stuff.

On the joy of Epping Forest on 13:07 - Jan 4 with 1445 viewsChurchman

I’ve no idea. You are right about the City of London though. Literally a law unto themselves!
On the joy of Epping Forest on 13:11 - Jan 4 with 1429 viewsStokieBlue

On the joy of Epping Forest on 13:06 - Jan 4 by giant_stow

Think your right. I also think they own or protect East London's 'green lung' the Lea Valley - another wonderful spot for walks. London is indeed blessed with green stuff.

Yesterday we walked from Stokie, through Clapton and Millfields Park, then through the Middlesex Filter Beds (which are very cool) and then through some of the Lea Valley and then round the industrial area of South Walthamstow - some lovely looking food and brewery places in there.

SB

On the joy of Epping Forest on 13:12 - Jan 4 with 1423 viewsfooters

On the joy of Epping Forest on 13:06 - Jan 4 by giant_stow

Think I'm right in saying London has the most green space of any European capital. We have so many nice parks to choose from :)

On the joy of Epping Forest on 13:16 - Jan 4 with 1401 viewsgiant_stow

On the joy of Epping Forest on 13:11 - Jan 4 by StokieBlue

Yesterday we walked from Stokie, through Clapton and Millfields Park, then through the Middlesex Filter Beds (which are very cool) and then through some of the Lea Valley and then round the industrial area of South Walthamstow - some lovely looking food and brewery places in there.

SB

Yeah Millfields Park is lovely and Springfield / Markfield too for that matter. Embarrassingly, I've never been to all the new food and brewery places in south Stow - such an old man now.

On the joy of Epping Forest on 13:18 - Jan 4 with 1387 viewsNorthLondonBlue2

SB

You can cycle up Parkland Walk from Finsbury Park, right up to Highgate tube station. It's a gentle rise until Highgate, which is pretty steep. You then need to exit and walk up the main road to Highgate/Queens Wood. From the northern tip of Highgate Wood, you can then re-join the Parkland Walk towards Alexandra Palace. It's there you get the spectacular views across north London.

Big fan of Epping Forest, too, as well as Clissold Park.
On the joy of Epping Forest on 13:19 - Jan 4 with 1386 viewsSteve_M

SB

On a really hot Sunday last Summer, I walked along the canal from Camden, up the route of the New River to Clissold Park and then round Woodberry Wetlands (the cafe was too tempting not to stop) and then to Alexandra Palace via the Parkland Walk. And then home. It was great but I was shattered afterwards.

The canal from Camden all the way to Limehouse and then either up to Stratford or back along the river is another good one.

As Footers says elsewhere, so much green space in London.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

On the joy of Epping Forest on 15:42 - Jan 4 with 1254 viewsCoastalblue

On the joy of Epping Forest on 13:19 - Jan 4 by Steve_M

On a really hot Sunday last Summer, I walked along the canal from Camden, up the route of the New River to Clissold Park and then round Woodberry Wetlands (the cafe was too tempting not to stop) and then to Alexandra Palace via the Parkland Walk. And then home. It was great but I was shattered afterwards.

The canal from Camden all the way to Limehouse and then either up to Stratford or back along the river is another good one.

We tend to do the canal from Camden to Limehouse basin every year in the summer, normally stop for food along the way and then finish off in The Grapes on Narrow Street to refresh. Fortunately a 20 minute walk home from there past a couple more pubs.

It's a great way to see parts of London from a different angle.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

On the joy of Epping Forest on 15:46 - Jan 4 with 1245 viewsStokieBlue

On the joy of Epping Forest on 13:19 - Jan 4 by Steve_M

There is now an art walk from Stratford to Greenwich which I've been meaning to try:

https://the-line.org/

Walking along most sections of the canals in London is rather nice.

SB

On the joy of Epping Forest on 21:40 - Jan 4 with 1116 viewsMaySixth

Great place to find dead bodies.

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024