Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Happy Birthday Micky Mills! 16:46 - Jan 4 with 1392 viewsNthQldITFC

Thanks for the cups and the bits I'm just about old enough to remember!

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/mick-imills-at-73-best-itfc-pictures-8

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Happy Birthday Micky Mills! on 16:56 - Jan 4 with 1360 viewsChurchman

I’m sadly very much old enough to remember him. He might be mind numbingly monotone dull on radio, but what a player for us. 591 appearances, 22 goals. Sold two or three years too soon. 42 games for England. I think his most important goal was the second against WBA in the 78 semi final.

Primarily a full back of course, it’s sometimes forgotten he could and did do a decent job in midfield. Mills is a little bit underrated as an Ipswich legend in my view.

A great player that went about his business without fuss.
Happy Birthday Micky Mills! on 17:34 - Jan 4 with 1298 viewschevblue

And don't forget the one that got things going ...

Blog: [Blog] Total Football

Happy Birthday Micky Mills! on 17:40 - Jan 4 with 1279 viewsDJR

Happy Birthday Micky Mills! on 16:56 - Jan 4 by Churchman

I’m sadly very much old enough to remember him. He might be mind numbingly monotone dull on radio, but what a player for us. 591 appearances, 22 goals. Sold two or three years too soon. 42 games for England. I think his most important goal was the second against WBA in the 78 semi final.

Primarily a full back of course, it’s sometimes forgotten he could and did do a decent job in midfield. Mills is a little bit underrated as an Ipswich legend in my view.

I think this analysis of him as a player is spot on. I also really enjoy his radio commentary, and not just because he provides for me an emotional link to a great period.
Happy Birthday Micky Mills! on 17:54 - Jan 4 with 1258 viewsnshearman1

Totally agree. The first game I saw him play was in, I think, 1966, when he was a 'left-half' going under the name of Mike Mills. Happy Birthday Mr Mills!
Happy Birthday Micky Mills! on 17:59 - Jan 4 with 1245 viewsITFC_History

Great post.

Only want to add he was England Captain in all five games of the 1982 World Cup. We never lost a game and England only let one goal in the whole tournament. Mick Mills was outstanding through out.
Happy Birthday Micky Mills! on 18:31 - Jan 4 with 1216 viewsIllinoisblue

I was thinking earlier, for such a legend and someone who’s still watching us on a weekly basis, how little we know about Mick the man. Is he married? Have kids? Does he live in Ipswich? Surely he’s got a book’s worth of memories to share. Rejected by Pompey, became a Town legend, captained his country at the World Cup, went on to be a manager. Come on, Mick, start writing.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Happy Birthday Micky Mills! on 18:35 - Jan 4 with 1209 viewsMillsey

Thank you but it was the 15th Dec 😉
Happy Birthday Micky Mills! on 18:38 - Jan 4 with 1200 viewstrncbluearmy

Happy Birthday Micky Mills! on 17:34 - Jan 4 by chevblue

And don't forget the one that got things going ...

What a night!!

Mass Blue Army Invasion
Login to get fewer ads

Happy Birthday Micky Mills! on 20:37 - Jan 4 with 1087 viewschevblue

Happy Birthday Micky Mills! on 18:35 - Jan 4 by Millsey

Thank you but it was the 15th Dec 😉

No, January 4th 1949 😉
[Post edited 4 Jan 2022 20:41]

Happy Birthday Micky Mills! on 20:47 - Jan 4 with 1061 viewsVic

Totally agree. He has always been Mr Ipswich to me - cool, calm, in control, versatile, polite, loyal. SBR right hand man on the pitch, and let’s not forget an England WC captain. I get a little sad when I hear, ya know, people criticize his summarizing on Saturdays.

A true Ipswich Legend.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Happy Birthday Micky Mills! on 21:41 - Jan 4 with 1019 viewsGeoffSentence

A man of style, marvellous, marvellous posture.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Happy Birthday Micky Mills! on 22:18 - Jan 4 with 980 viewsBarcaBlue

Happy Birthday Micky Mills! on 21:41 - Jan 4 by GeoffSentence

A man of style, marvellous, marvellous posture.

Very true, and he never aged. Always looked around 34 years old.
Happy Birthday Micky Mills! on 07:57 - Jan 5 with 861 viewsjontysnut

Happy Birthday Micky Mills! on 18:31 - Jan 4 by Illinoisblue

I was thinking earlier, for such a legend and someone who’s still watching us on a weekly basis, how little we know about Mick the man. Is he married? Have kids? Does he live in Ipswich? Surely he’s got a book’s worth of memories to share. Rejected by Pompey, became a Town legend, captained his country at the World Cup, went on to be a manager. Come on, Mick, start writing.

My mum used to go to bingo at Top Rank with his mother in law and I used to get the odd bit of Admiral training kit - I wish I'd kept it now!
Happy Birthday Micky Mills! on 08:37 - Jan 5 with 831 viewsChurchman

Happy Birthday Micky Mills! on 20:47 - Jan 4 by Vic

Totally agree. He has always been Mr Ipswich to me - cool, calm, in control, versatile, polite, loyal. SBR right hand man on the pitch, and let’s not forget an England WC captain. I get a little sad when I hear, ya know, people criticize his summarizing on Saturdays.

A true Ipswich Legend.

Oh I feel guilty about it because he is who he is, but while he is of course knowledgeable and right most of the time, I confess I do find him dull.

But this for me isn’t the point. He was the face of the football club for many years really and it’s his contribution to and his love for it that defines him.

One of the skills Mills had was the ability to channel good players into places they didn’t want to go. He’d never shirk a challenge yet would never dive into a tackle prematurely. His main full back partner from was of course the brilliant George Burley and they provided proper balance to the defence. Both great contributors to this club.

Full backs are always the bridesmaids when it comes to recognition, yet without two decent ones a team never looks right. The current team demonstrates that.

We have had enough true legends for statues to embarrass Rome. If ever another was commissioned, Mick Mills would be a decent shout for it.
[Post edited 5 Jan 2022 10:05]
Happy Birthday Micky Mills! on 09:26 - Jan 5 with 788 viewsMillsey

Happy Birthday Micky Mills! on 20:37 - Jan 4 by chevblue

No, January 4th 1949 😉
[Post edited 4 Jan 2022 20:41]

That was mine 😞
Happy Birthday Micky Mills! on 11:07 - Jan 5 with 728 viewschevblue

Happy Birthday Micky Mills! on 09:26 - Jan 5 by Millsey

That was mine 😞

Really ...

Happy Birthday Micky Mills! on 11:53 - Jan 5 with 699 viewsFBI

I was there for the bulk of his career too. Talk about versatility... he played in every single outfield position in his time at PR. Hell of a player and never got the credit for that really although of course highly regarded as a captain and generally considered an all-round good egg. Pretty decent goalscorer on occasion, too.

Poll: The career progress of former town players is...

Happy Birthday Micky Mills! on 13:42 - Jan 5 with 659 viewsVic

Happy Birthday Micky Mills! on 08:37 - Jan 5 by Churchman

Oh I feel guilty about it because he is who he is, but while he is of course knowledgeable and right most of the time, I confess I do find him dull.

But this for me isn’t the point. He was the face of the football club for many years really and it’s his contribution to and his love for it that defines him.

One of the skills Mills had was the ability to channel good players into places they didn’t want to go. He’d never shirk a challenge yet would never dive into a tackle prematurely. His main full back partner from was of course the brilliant George Burley and they provided proper balance to the defence. Both great contributors to this club.

Full backs are always the bridesmaids when it comes to recognition, yet without two decent ones a team never looks right. The current team demonstrates that.

We have had enough true legends for statues to embarrass Rome. If ever another was commissioned, Mick Mills would be a decent shout for it.
[Post edited 5 Jan 2022 10:05]

You’re right about the Mills Burley fullback team. And to think that Mick switched to left back, and was equally as effective, just so Burley could play at RB. And then he often played in midfield, with ever looking out of place. Not many players these days that can do that. (Any suggestions anyone)

Also suggests brilliant management by SBR.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024