Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cook speaks 11:06 - Jan 5 with 4740 viewsDubtractor

Still pretending that the end of last season doesn't count then...

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Cook speaks on 11:09 - Jan 5 with 3054 viewschicoazul

Even if we pretend like last season didn’t matter the results of those twenty games weren’t good enough after the resources he was given in the summer, and I say that as someone who liked Cook and thought he would get it right.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Cook speaks on 11:11 - Jan 5 with 3020 viewsDubtractor

Cook speaks on 11:09 - Jan 5 by chicoazul

Even if we pretend like last season didn’t matter the results of those twenty games weren’t good enough after the resources he was given in the summer, and I say that as someone who liked Cook and thought he would get it right.

Exactly.

And like you, I was a Cook fan. He was my first choice for the job and I was delighted we got him, but he very clearly got things wrong from day one, and continued to do so this season.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.

Cook speaks on 11:12 - Jan 5 with 2978 viewstractorboy1978

Cook speaks on 11:09 - Jan 5 by chicoazul

Yes, the harder you look at it, the worse he actually did. Ultimately he left us well off the pace for even the top 6 with a squad that should have comfortably been in the top 2.
Cook speaks on 11:15 - Jan 5 with 2916 viewspointofblue

Cook speaks on 11:11 - Jan 5 by Dubtractor

Exactly.

And like you, I was a Cook fan. He was my first choice for the job and I was delighted we got him, but he very clearly got things wrong from day one, and continued to do so this season.

I know it’s just one game but we saw so much from McKenna against Wycombe compared to Cook in 44 - the ability to look like a team rather than a bunch of individuals, a game plan which could be altered where required, tactical flexibility and substitutes which suited the situation rather than being simply like-for-like.

Was it Einstein who said insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting to get different results? This was Cook’s approach and I am at a loss at how he did so well at Portsmouth and Wigan but so poorly here.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Cook speaks on 11:22 - Jan 5 with 2765 viewsFPL_Tractor

He's still on Sky Sports News now. Has he said much about Ipswich?

For more ITFC chat and some fantasy football mutterings follow me on twitter @fpl_tractor.

Cook speaks on 11:24 - Jan 5 with 2737 viewstractorboy1978

Cook speaks on 11:15 - Jan 5 by pointofblue

I know it’s just one game but we saw so much from McKenna against Wycombe compared to Cook in 44 - the ability to look like a team rather than a bunch of individuals, a game plan which could be altered where required, tactical flexibility and substitutes which suited the situation rather than being simply like-for-like.

Was it Einstein who said insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting to get different results? This was Cook’s approach and I am at a loss at how he did so well at Portsmouth and Wigan but so poorly here.

Didn't have the right team around him is the obvious answer. Richardson has Wigan with the second best defensive record in the league this season. Anthony Barry is now highly regarded as one of the best young coaches in the country and working at Chelsea.
Cook speaks on 11:25 - Jan 5 with 2715 viewsGarv

Old ground really isn't it?

Definitely an argument to say he should have had longer, games this season certainly weren't dull, but there's also one to say McKenna will prove to be a better option, especially with the way Ashton and co. want to work.

I liked that he had a philosophy and tried to stick with it, I remember when people were pleading the club to go down that route. He's clearly a different breed to someone like McKenna who it seems will be willing to show a lot more flexibility.

Never subscribed to the view that we 'should' have been in the top two, just like I never subscribed to it under Lambert. Hard to ignore Cook left us in mid table, however.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Cook speaks on 11:25 - Jan 5 with 2701 viewspointofblue

Cook speaks on 11:24 - Jan 5 by tractorboy1978

Didn't have the right team around him is the obvious answer. Richardson has Wigan with the second best defensive record in the league this season. Anthony Barry is now highly regarded as one of the best young coaches in the country and working at Chelsea.

Very true. How did we hand pick players (to an extent) and off field staff like a head chef wanting the finest ingredients but the coaches like we were the last ones at the buffet table come midnight?
[Post edited 5 Jan 2022 11:26]

Login to get fewer ads

Cook speaks on 11:25 - Jan 5 with 2695 viewsBasuco

Cook speaks on 11:15 - Jan 5 by pointofblue

The obvious answer is that he did not have Leam Richardson along side him, the coaching team Cook got in were simply not good enough, when other team made changes in the second half of games Cook did not have a clue how to get control of the game back again. He had so many great first half's and many more very poor second half's of games.
Cook speaks on 11:27 - Jan 5 with 2663 viewsMetal_Hacker

Very apparent he's not taking any sort of blame here as an individual

He says "WE" should have been given more time and not "ME/I" which deflects quite a proportion of the blame away from just him and onto others .Also by not counting the end of last season is just ridiculous and for me that is brushing stuff under the carpet or again blaming others

Either way he's not going to come out and accept any blame as he'll want to be in another managerial position very soon no doubt - sad really how it ended but I'm glad it did

Poll: If it were one or the other

Cook speaks on 11:29 - Jan 5 with 2596 viewsSitfcB

[Post edited 5 Jan 2022 11:31]

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Cook speaks on 11:31 - Jan 5 with 2519 viewstractorboy1978

Cook speaks on 11:25 - Jan 5 by pointofblue

Very true. How did we hand pick players (to an extent) and off field staff like a head chef wanting the finest ingredients but the coaches like we were the last ones at the buffet table come midnight?
[Post edited 5 Jan 2022 11:26]

Hard to know whether it was the quality of the coaches or the blend of skills/experience that was the issue. I know Jeffers was pretty highly rated/liked by the attacking players for instance. We never seemed to really have anyone with defensive nous on the set up - Cook a former attacker and Richardson a former defender has a nice balance to it. For whatever reason, it just didn't work and even by the end didn't really look like working.
Cook speaks on 11:33 - Jan 5 with 2472 viewsclive_baker

Most on here were saying the same earlier this season. Never washed with me, he inherited some good players, some key players like Downes getting back to fitness, and we were on the coattails of the playoffs with a kind run in on paper. Yet we got worse, much worse, stubbornly persevering with a system that didn't suit his personnel and throwing them under the bus at every opportunity.

The back end of last season was dismal, it was never a free hit to me and shouldn't have been viewed as such.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Cook speaks on 11:33 - Jan 5 with 2446 viewsMetal_Hacker

Cook speaks on 11:31 - Jan 5 by tractorboy1978

Hard to know whether it was the quality of the coaches or the blend of skills/experience that was the issue. I know Jeffers was pretty highly rated/liked by the attacking players for instance. We never seemed to really have anyone with defensive nous on the set up - Cook a former attacker and Richardson a former defender has a nice balance to it. For whatever reason, it just didn't work and even by the end didn't really look like working.

I was lead to believe Jeffers was the defensive coach

Poll: If it were one or the other

Cook speaks on 11:34 - Jan 5 with 2432 viewsHerbivore

Cook speaks on 11:29 - Jan 5 by SitfcB

Is this the same Paul Cook who came in talking about leading us to automatic promotion last season and saying he only needed one transfer window to get things right here?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Cook speaks on 11:37 - Jan 5 with 2369 viewsDubtractor

There is a real lack of any reflection on his own performance there isn't there?

Cook speaks on 11:37 - Jan 5 with 2368 viewsSteve_M

Who made the decision to make wholesale changes to the squad then Paul?

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Cook speaks on 11:38 - Jan 5 with 2371 viewsSitfcB

Classy.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Cook speaks on 11:38 - Jan 5 with 2347 viewspointofblue

YOU were happy to replace those players, Demolition Man. YOU took a squad which was sitting two points off a play offs and dragged us back to mid table. YOU were the manager who had no plan B, who had the players coming out and doing the same thing no matter the opposition, who could put on decent first half performances but fell away so often in the second half due to a lack of ability to change things when needed.

He had the best squad in the division, albeit slightly unbalanced, and messed it up. I’m surprised that he wasn’t given Charlton and Wigan but, at the same time, the shambles against Rotherham, where we actually looked worse than we did under Lambert against the same side which speaks volumes, was always going to put him under a lot of pressure.

Cook speaks on 11:40 - Jan 5 with 2303 viewsmarkchips

Cook speaks on 11:27 - Jan 5 by Metal_Hacker

Very apparent he's not taking any sort of blame here as an individual

He says "WE" should have been given more time and not "ME/I" which deflects quite a proportion of the blame away from just him and onto others .Also by not counting the end of last season is just ridiculous and for me that is brushing stuff under the carpet or again blaming others

Either way he's not going to come out and accept any blame as he'll want to be in another managerial position very soon no doubt - sad really how it ended but I'm glad it did

Sad how it ended but clearly the right decision. It soon became apparent that the likes of Harper, Edwards and Penney needed more time and Ashton won’t fall on his own sword.

Will be interesting who goes in this window and if we actually get in a proper left back.
Cook speaks on 11:44 - Jan 5 with 2226 viewsBasuco

At the start of the season we were scoring loads of goals and conceding a lot as well, in the games leading up to Cooks sacking the goals had dried up but we were still conceding a lot. Not only did the goals dry up we were creating fewer chances as well. Teams worked out how Cook played and countered that, the inability to change how the team played and the fact we were getting worse apart from a very few exceptions led to his sacking. More time would just have led to more games lost from winning positions.
Cook speaks on 11:50 - Jan 5 with 2103 viewsOriginalMarkyP

What a load of self-serving old cobblers that is.

He failed and failed badly. He threw his players under the bus almost on a weekly basis. He proved as, if not more inflexible as any of the previous regimes. The players he chose performed worse for him than the so called 'pub team' he inherited. He couldn't motivate them. He couldn't coach them.

And that mirror is pretty horrible too.

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

Cook speaks on 11:52 - Jan 5 with 2055 viewsPrideOfTheEast

By far the biggest issue with all of that is the one he admits to. If he wasn't happy with the structure then surely say so.
Cook speaks on 11:56 - Jan 5 with 1969 viewsFixed_It

Cook speaks on 11:33 - Jan 5 by Metal_Hacker

I was lead to believe Jeffers was the defensive coach

For set-pieces.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Cook speaks on 11:58 - Jan 5 with 1940 viewsclive_baker

Cook speaks on 11:44 - Jan 5 by Basuco

At the start of the season we were scoring loads of goals and conceding a lot as well, in the games leading up to Cooks sacking the goals had dried up but we were still conceding a lot. Not only did the goals dry up we were creating fewer chances as well. Teams worked out how Cook played and countered that, the inability to change how the team played and the fact we were getting worse apart from a very few exceptions led to his sacking. More time would just have led to more games lost from winning positions.

I think that's fair. Personally I would've given him another month or 2, after an awful start to the season we were picking up points wise at least, 17 points from his last 10 games. Not exceptional by any means, but just about playoff form annualised over a season, and a run that included some tough games. I would've been curious to see how we fared at Charlton, Wigan and the POPR games. I also thought he was a little unlucky losing Burns when we did before the big double header against Sunderland and Rotherham too, given he was so pivotal to the system. I thought we were a touch unlucky not to get results at Sunderland and Plymouth too.

Still, it's all if's and buts and there's only so many times you can claim bad luck, it's pretty hard to make too strong a case that he was harshly treated, especially when you look at how much he spent.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024