Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Don’t agree with a lot of what Cook is saying, but the performance team commen 11:53 - Jan 5 with 3568 viewsunstableblue

… is very interesting

First off Cook states that if he’d known that the project was only 20 games to achieve success he’d have not taken it on. I don’t agree - the reason he was sacked was a lack of visible progression in the playing system and the effectiveness.

I still think Cook should have had longer, and the poor cup form clouded judgment in the board and fans. Wycombe away remains our most cohesive performance and Sunderland away was strong. Crewe had some merits.

But McKenna has already showed tweaks in system and set up that cook failed to deliver. Cook was slavish to 4-2-3-1, and it relied on good wing backs and high performance across the team which he was just not getting. I still think we’d have got better results against Charlton, Wigan and Sunderland at home than with McGreal. But cook has to be honest that the cup performances and many league just weren’t good enough.

Most telling from the interview is the comments about Ashton installing his own performance department and the friction and disconnect to cooks team and way of thinking. That is not good. And it is critical that McKenna feels he is going to get value from that team. Rolls does not have a good reputation.

The difference is that McKenna perhaps expects such a department and knew it was part of him joining.

Gills game needs to show continued improvement.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

It wasnt 20 games.... on 11:59 - Jan 5 with 3196 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

...he had c.40+ matches.

He chose to appoint a useless coaching team to train his millions of new recruits and he paid the price.

I wanted Cook to succeed, but he failed, and in my view that was mainly due to his hopeless recruitment of coaching staff and his policy of only recruiting scousers.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Don’t agree with a lot of what Cook is saying, but the performance team commen on 12:04 - Jan 5 with 3134 viewsArnieM

OP: where are you getting Cooks comments from plz?

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Don’t agree with a lot of what Cook is saying, but the performance team commen on 12:05 - Jan 5 with 3119 viewschrismakin

Interesting?

Was something I brought up during my pro PC days and was told not to be so daft PC wouldn't stand for such a set up.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Don’t agree with a lot of what Cook is saying, but the performance team commen on 12:16 - Jan 5 with 3004 viewsChurchman

Agree with this. I think Cook was just a poor fit for the direction the club wanted to take. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

He struck me as quite old school in his style which is ok, but not if you want to put in a more modern structure with performance departments etc.

Cook cared and I liked his passion. He also has a good track record and will succeed elsewhere. I didn’t like his somewhat crude and wasteful way of doing things, this bomb squad thing, publicly calling out the players, you’re in you’re out. His teams looked fractured and disjointed and so did he and his coaching staff.

We weren’t improving and hanging on to a couple of good performances wasn’t good enough. He had to go.
Don’t agree with a lot of what Cook is saying, but the performance team commen on 12:18 - Jan 5 with 2973 viewsJon_456

Don’t agree with a lot of what Cook is saying, but the performance team commen on 12:05 - Jan 5 by chrismakin

Interesting?

Was something I brought up during my pro PC days and was told not to be so daft PC wouldn't stand for such a set up.

Are you an only child?
Don’t agree with a lot of what Cook is saying, but the performance team commen on 12:18 - Jan 5 with 2973 viewsChrisd

Hopefully, PC has realised he needs to be a little more flexible with his approach, he's far too rigid. We don't really know for sure what's gone on behind the scenes and it's purely speculation, but it seems that both sides - PC and the club - will hopefully learn some lessons from this appointment. I still very much like PC, he seems a genuine bloke and I wish him all the best in his future roles, but sometimes places aren't the right fit and perhaps that was the case here?

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Don’t agree with a lot of what Cook is saying, but the performance team commen on 12:19 - Jan 5 with 2970 viewsBlueBadger

He didn't have 20 games to improve results, he had 44.

He CHOSE, halfway through 'the project' to chuck out the baby and the bathwater.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Don’t agree with a lot of what Cook is saying, but the performance team commen on 12:23 - Jan 5 with 2927 viewsIllinoisblue

I’m imagining Cook as Billy Batts right now, running his mouth. And Ashton as Joe Pesci being held back.
[Post edited 5 Jan 2022 12:24]

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Login to get fewer ads

Don’t agree with a lot of what Cook is saying, but the performance team commen on 12:29 - Jan 5 with 2850 viewstractorboy1978

"Rolls does not have a good reputation" - what amongst Bristol City fans?

The bloke has worked at Arsenal, Chelsea, West Ham in the Premier League for a combined total of 10+ years outside of working with Ashton at Watford/Bristol City. He clearly more than has the credentials to be here. Think the actual issue is more Cook isn't used to working with this set up and being told which players are available for selection and which aren't.
Don’t agree with a lot of what Cook is saying, but the performance team commen on 12:47 - Jan 5 with 2718 viewsbackwaywhen

Don’t agree with a lot of what Cook is saying, but the performance team commen on 12:18 - Jan 5 by Chrisd

Hopefully, PC has realised he needs to be a little more flexible with his approach, he's far too rigid. We don't really know for sure what's gone on behind the scenes and it's purely speculation, but it seems that both sides - PC and the club - will hopefully learn some lessons from this appointment. I still very much like PC, he seems a genuine bloke and I wish him all the best in his future roles, but sometimes places aren't the right fit and perhaps that was the case here?

Simply lost without Leam Richardson, nothing will change my mind on that fact.
Don’t agree with a lot of what Cook is saying, but the performance team commen on 12:49 - Jan 5 with 2694 viewshype313

Don’t agree with a lot of what Cook is saying, but the performance team commen on 12:47 - Jan 5 by backwaywhen

Simply lost without Leam Richardson, nothing will change my mind on that fact.

Add an inexperienced coaching team into the mix, and it just doesn't seem like it was a recipe for success.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Don’t agree with a lot of what Cook is saying, but the performance team commen on 15:02 - Jan 5 with 2384 viewsFevsBCFC

Don’t agree with a lot of what Cook is saying, but the performance team commen on 12:29 - Jan 5 by tractorboy1978

The bloke has worked at Arsenal, Chelsea, West Ham in the Premier League for a combined total of 10+ years outside of working with Ashton at Watford/Bristol City. He clearly more than has the credentials to be here. Think the actual issue is more Cook isn't used to working with this set up and being told which players are available for selection and which aren't.

I’m not gonna question Rolls’ ability, but Patrick Orme honestly stated they got pre-season wrong at City 20/21…and it contributed to massive injury probs.

Rolls reputation at West Ham is hardly glorious from social media….but that is all social media stuff and you have to take with a pinch of salt.

What is not good is to hear a manager calling out differences with key staff members.

You as fans will decide yourselves where you think there is anything in it or not.
Don’t agree with a lot of what Cook is saying, but the performance team commen on 15:30 - Jan 5 with 2278 viewsdirtyboy

Don’t agree with a lot of what Cook is saying, but the performance team commen on 12:29 - Jan 5 by tractorboy1978

On Rolls....after that long in the industry, with more experience....why is he not at the top? He's gone backwards.....

Just playing devils advocate..
Don’t agree with a lot of what Cook is saying, but the performance team commen on 15:35 - Jan 5 with 2242 viewstractorboy1978

Don’t agree with a lot of what Cook is saying, but the performance team commen on 15:30 - Jan 5 by dirtyboy

On Rolls....after that long in the industry, with more experience....why is he not at the top? He's gone backwards.....

Just playing devils advocate..

That doesn't mean he's not competent enough for a club in L1 though. You don't work for 7 years at Arsenal/Chelsea by accident or by being a blagger. He clearly has decent credentials.

Let's bear in mind we had Matt Gill, a coach with no background/qualifications in fitness/sports science leading our first team warm ups this time last year because our fitness coach was 'working from home'.
Don’t agree with a lot of what Cook is saying, but the performance team commen on 17:37 - Jan 5 with 2038 viewsitfcjoe

Cook ended up doing a job which was very different to the one he signed up for - that wasn't his fault but he handled it badly

The interview today is for one person and that is Paul Cook, who now has to begin the process of ensuring his reputation is kept in tact and that he can move on to his next job at the best job possible.

We all know it is very economical with the truth - because he'd have to be outstandingly naive to believe that instant success wasn't expected after what we did, most notbaly when basically bottom of the league on transfer deadline day.

There is also an absolute chasm between 'instant success' and what he achieved here - if we were 8th and 5 points off he wouldn't have been sacked - but he was absolutely miles off it

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Don’t agree with a lot of what Cook is saying, but the performance team commen on 18:38 - Jan 5 with 1873 viewsHighgateBlue

He took it on before the takeover. He had far more than 20 games. He was a failure.
Don’t agree with a lot of what Cook is saying, but the performance team commen on 18:50 - Jan 5 with 1814 viewsKeaneish

Don’t agree with a lot of what Cook is saying, but the performance team commen on 12:19 - Jan 5 by BlueBadger

He didn't have 20 games to improve results, he had 44.

He CHOSE, halfway through 'the project' to chuck out the baby and the bathwater.

Re-setting the whole club was the project, that’s the point.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Don’t agree with a lot of what Cook is saying, but the performance team commen on 19:12 - Jan 5 with 1726 viewsEwan_Oozami

Don’t agree with a lot of what Cook is saying, but the performance team commen on 18:50 - Jan 5 by Keaneish

Re-setting the whole club was the project, that’s the point.

The Great Reset...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Don’t agree with a lot of what Cook is saying, but the performance team commen on 19:21 - Jan 5 with 1666 viewsKeaneish

Don’t agree with a lot of what Cook is saying, but the performance team commen on 19:12 - Jan 5 by Ewan_Oozami

The Great Reset...

We’ll never know.

Don’t agree with a lot of what Cook is saying, but the performance team commen on 19:28 - Jan 5 with 1639 viewsChurchman

Don’t agree with a lot of what Cook is saying, but the performance team commen on 17:37 - Jan 5 by itfcjoe

Cook ended up doing a job which was very different to the one he signed up for - that wasn't his fault but he handled it badly

The interview today is for one person and that is Paul Cook, who now has to begin the process of ensuring his reputation is kept in tact and that he can move on to his next job at the best job possible.

We all know it is very economical with the truth - because he'd have to be outstandingly naive to believe that instant success wasn't expected after what we did, most notbaly when basically bottom of the league on transfer deadline day.

There is also an absolute chasm between 'instant success' and what he achieved here - if we were 8th and 5 points off he wouldn't have been sacked - but he was absolutely miles off it

Spot on.
Don’t agree with a lot of what Cook is saying, but the performance team commen on 19:35 - Jan 5 with 1599 viewsBlueBadger

Don’t agree with a lot of what Cook is saying, but the performance team commen on 19:21 - Jan 5 by Keaneish

We’ll never know.

There are a fair few clubs above us who moved similar numbers of players in the summer.
We could make a fairly reasoned guess that we were going noweher.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Don’t agree with a lot of what Cook is saying, but the performance team commen on 19:45 - Jan 5 with 1555 viewsKeaneish

Don’t agree with a lot of what Cook is saying, but the performance team commen on 17:37 - Jan 5 by itfcjoe

Miles off it? We were 7pts off it, we’re now 11pts! As I said at the time, 7pts is the difference between a good and bad week. It could have and should have been closer but it was hardly, “miles off”. 11pts on the other hand and nobody seems to be panicking any more, they’ve just written this season off - the logic is baffling.

Don’t agree with a lot of what Cook is saying, but the performance team commen on 19:49 - Jan 5 with 1534 viewsDubtractor

Don’t agree with a lot of what Cook is saying, but the performance team commen on 19:45 - Jan 5 by Keaneish

Miles off it? We were 7pts off it, we’re now 11pts! As I said at the time, 7pts is the difference between a good and bad week. It could have and should have been closer but it was hardly, “miles off”. 11pts on the other hand and nobody seems to be panicking any more, they’ve just written this season off - the logic is baffling.

The gap has grown because teams have played their games in hand as we had 2 cancelled!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Don’t agree with a lot of what Cook is saying, but the performance team commen on 19:57 - Jan 5 with 1467 viewsJ2BLUE

You said: I don’t agree - the reason he was sacked was a lack of visible progression in the playing system and the effectiveness.

Then the very next line you said: I still think Cook should have had longer, and the poor cup form clouded judgment in the board and fans.

You say there was a lack of visible progression but you think he should have had longer (based mainly on pure hope by the sounds of it) and then you make the very untrue claim that the cups clouded judgement. Why not just admit you got it wrong? Now you've had a chance to settle down you openly admit there was a lack of visible progression. A squad beyond anything he could have hoped for and half a season in, if you forgive the results with the squad he inherited, and there was no clear progression. Your words.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Don’t agree with a lot of what Cook is saying, but the performance team commen on 20:03 - Jan 5 with 1424 viewsN2_Blue

Don’t agree with a lot of what Cook is saying, but the performance team commen on 19:45 - Jan 5 by Keaneish

You're an utter loon. We were going backwards at a rate of knots and getting further away from the playoffs...not closer to them under Cook.

I am certain we will be closer to them at the end of season than the 7 points cook left us adrift.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024