Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cultural differences when naming children 10:43 - Jan 7 with 2726 viewsGeoffSentence

I work for a company that has offices throughout the world. We have big ones in Manilla and Chennai, and I am familiar with people in those offices whose names seem a.bit 'quirky' to my Western sensibilities. For instance we have a number of Rommels and now a Stalin, and those are first names.

I'd love to know why their parents chose those names but dare not ask.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Cultural differences when naming children on 10:57 - Jan 7 with 1600 viewsWeWereZombies

'The Office for National Statistics (ONS) has revealed that the name Lucifer was more popular than Nigel or Trevor in the UK last year.'

https://gript.ie/a-hellish-choice-lucifer-now-more-popular-name-than-nigel-in-br

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Cultural differences when naming children on 10:59 - Jan 7 with 1575 viewsHerbivore

You'd love my twins, Marx and Guevara.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Cultural differences when naming children on 10:59 - Jan 7 with 1574 viewsfooters

We have a chap in our WebOps team called Raytheon. I had no idea it was a first name.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Cultural differences when naming children on 10:59 - Jan 7 with 1570 viewsRobTheMonk

I watched a TV show on channel 5 a while back and there was an 8 year old called Tequila lol.
Cultural differences when naming children on 11:02 - Jan 7 with 1537 viewsclive_baker

I used to know someone called King. Wasn't short for anything, just King. Cool name.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Cultural differences when naming children on 11:06 - Jan 7 with 1505 viewsMattinLondon

My sis-in-law is a primary school teacher and she told me that she has taught a boy called theone. When asked how to pronounce it she was told by the parents (in all seriousness) that it’s pronounced as ‘the one’.

Also she has taught a girl called Nat_er. As in Natasha but pronounced as Nat dash er.

Edit. Not a cultural thing at all just stupidity or a wish to be different.
[Post edited 7 Jan 2022 11:07]
Cultural differences when naming children on 11:08 - Jan 7 with 1475 viewsfooters

Cultural differences when naming children on 11:06 - Jan 7 by MattinLondon

My sis-in-law is a primary school teacher and she told me that she has taught a boy called theone. When asked how to pronounce it she was told by the parents (in all seriousness) that it’s pronounced as ‘the one’.

Also she has taught a girl called Nat_er. As in Natasha but pronounced as Nat dash er.

There should be a child cruelty law against that type of thing.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Cultural differences when naming children on 11:10 - Jan 7 with 1462 viewsclive_baker

Won't be long until someone has a hashtag in their name.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Login to get fewer ads

Cultural differences when naming children on 11:11 - Jan 7 with 1449 viewsLankHenners

Several years ago now my Grandma was involved in one of those ‘sponsor a child in India’ charity things. Kid’s name was Hitler.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

[Redacted] on 11:13 - Jan 7 with 1425 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Cultural differences when naming children on 11:14 - Jan 7 with 1437 viewsMattinLondon

Cultural differences when naming children on 11:10 - Jan 7 by clive_baker

Won't be long until someone has a hashtag in their name.

You’re probably right (unfortunately).
Cultural differences when naming children on 11:15 - Jan 7 with 1429 viewsEwan_Oozami

Cultural differences when naming children on 11:14 - Jan 7 by MattinLondon

You’re probably right (unfortunately).

They may have trouble filling in online forms then...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Cultural differences when naming children on 11:15 - Jan 7 with 1429 viewsMattinLondon

Cultural differences when naming children on 11:08 - Jan 7 by footers

Think in some countries parents aren’t allowed to call their children names if the register thinks that it’ll lead to upset for the child. Or I might be recalling this from a film.
Cultural differences when naming children on 11:17 - Jan 7 with 1419 viewsLesta_Tractor

I think the Danish government have a list of 'acceptable' names, if it's not on the list then you can't use it...

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

Cultural differences when naming children on 11:18 - Jan 7 with 1413 viewsBlueBadger

Cultural differences when naming children on 11:02 - Jan 7 by clive_baker

I used to know someone called King. Wasn't short for anything, just King. Cool name.

We have a fair fellow Filipino Kings, several Princesses and one Duke at [redacted] hospital at the moment.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

[Redacted] on 11:19 - Jan 7 with 1395 viewsvictorywilhappen

Cultural differences when naming children on 11:15 - Jan 7 by MattinLondon

Think in some countries parents aren’t allowed to call their children names if the register thinks that it’ll lead to upset for the child. Or I might be recalling this from a film.

[Redacted]
Cultural differences when naming children on 11:19 - Jan 7 with 1407 viewsWeWereZombies

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naming_law

[edit] I've just cracked myself up by reading the banned names in Australia - such a shame you can't call a kid 'panties' or 'scrotum' but understandable, however I cannot see for the life of me why 'spinach' is banned.
[Post edited 7 Jan 2022 11:22]

Cultural differences when naming children on 11:23 - Jan 7 with 1386 viewsBlueRaider

We have people in our HK office called Adolf and Vodka !

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

Cultural differences when naming children on 11:44 - Jan 7 with 1338 viewsGeoffSentence

Cultural differences when naming children on 10:59 - Jan 7 by footers

We have a chap in our WebOps team called Raytheon. I had no idea it was a first name.

I thought it was an electricals manufacturer

Cultural differences when naming children on 11:45 - Jan 7 with 1330 viewsGeoffSentence

The french have regulations about what you can can call kids, maybe we should do the same,

Cultural differences when naming children on 11:47 - Jan 7 with 1320 viewsGeoffSentence

They can't even spell, that should be Natunderscoreer

Cultural differences when naming children on 12:03 - Jan 7 with 1283 viewsWeWereZombies

Cultural differences when naming children on 11:47 - Jan 7 by GeoffSentence

They can't even spell, that should be Natunderscoreer

Or Will Keane...

Cultural differences when naming children on 12:05 - Jan 7 with 1281 viewsblueasfook

I recently discovered that Chinese people give themselves English first names (like Nathan or Johnny or whatever). But their legal names are still Chinese like Woo Wit Woo or whatever.

TWTD Veteran
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Cultural differences when naming children on 12:12 - Jan 7 with 1263 viewsWeWereZombies

Cultural differences when naming children on 12:05 - Jan 7 by blueasfook

I recently discovered that Chinese people give themselves English first names (like Nathan or Johnny or whatever). But their legal names are still Chinese like Woo Wit Woo or whatever.

I used to have a work email contact called Wei Ling Cheah, I just about avoided sending advice that they should consider becoming a Blues singer.

Cultural differences when naming children on 12:34 - Jan 7 with 1201 viewsEdwardStone

Very true

Slovakia has a list of approved names, only these are acceptable for the Birth Certificate

Each approved name has a day of the year attached to it.... so you get an extra "birthday" as your nearest and dearest give gifts and treats on your Name Day
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024