Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Suffolk holiday cottage on coast? 10:53 - Jan 7 with 2731 viewsN2_Blue

Does anyone have ideas/recommendations for a (dog friendly) coastal holiday cottage.

Wife and I are looking for somewhere as close as possible to the sea, preferably actually on the coast so we can walk straight down to the beach.

Having not lived locally for many years would like to take my wife for a break in Suffolk but Norfolk and Essex also considered. Thank you.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Suffolk holiday cottage on coast? on 10:58 - Jan 7 with 2378 viewsgiant_stow

Winterton on sea is a cracker and a very dog- friendly place cos they're allowed on the local beach. That means loads of holiday let's allow dogs, as does the local boozer. Very pretty, lovely dunes and full of seals on the beach currently. Great place but be warned, I'm biased as this is where I go to visit the land of milk and honey.

Edit- sugary plops, you said Suffolk. Apologies!
[Post edited 7 Jan 2022 10:59]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Suffolk holiday cottage on coast? on 11:06 - Jan 7 with 2330 viewsN2_Blue

Suffolk holiday cottage on coast? on 10:58 - Jan 7 by giant_stow

Winterton on sea is a cracker and a very dog- friendly place cos they're allowed on the local beach. That means loads of holiday let's allow dogs, as does the local boozer. Very pretty, lovely dunes and full of seals on the beach currently. Great place but be warned, I'm biased as this is where I go to visit the land of milk and honey.

Hey Ulla, you are right winterton on sea is a cracker - family have a chalet on the valley estate so we’ve been many times. Love it there. Cafe has completely gone now due to the erosion and the seals have moved in!

Looking for Suffolk really as want to visit to different spots but open to all suggestions.

Suffolk holiday cottage on coast? on 11:12 - Jan 7 with 2291 viewsgiant_stow

Suffolk holiday cottage on coast? on 11:06 - Jan 7 by N2_Blue

Hey Ulla, you are right winterton on sea is a cracker - family have a chalet on the valley estate so we’ve been many times. Love it there. Cafe has completely gone now due to the erosion and the seals have moved in!

Looking for Suffolk really as want to visit to different spots but open to all suggestions.

Ah you know it - lucky family!

I'm a bit of a Winterton evangelist as its such a gem - stopped me reading properly! Have a good time wherever you eventually go.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Suffolk holiday cottage on coast? on 11:12 - Jan 7 with 2289 viewsRadlett_blue

I love Southwold, but rentals there are rarely cheap, although might be more reasonable out of peak season.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Suffolk holiday cottage on coast? on 11:16 - Jan 7 with 2270 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Tried these?

https://www.suffolk-secrets.co.uk/
https://www.bestofsuffolk.co.uk/
https://durrantsholidaycottages.co.uk/

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Suffolk holiday cottage on coast? on 11:20 - Jan 7 with 2255 viewsN2_Blue

Suffolk holiday cottage on coast? on 11:12 - Jan 7 by Radlett_blue

I love Southwold, but rentals there are rarely cheap, although might be more reasonable out of peak season.

Yes was thinking Southwold or Aldeburgh. Won't be cheap but we are going out of season --before Easter. We walk the beach in all weather - and won't have the London day trippers that turn up en-masse in summer.

Just wondering if anyone knew any hidden gems for rental properties that they may have stayed in, or perhaps even own themselves.

Suffolk holiday cottage on coast? on 11:21 - Jan 7 with 2245 viewsN2_Blue

Suffolk holiday cottage on coast? on 11:16 - Jan 7 by WestStanderLaLaLa

Tried these?

https://www.suffolk-secrets.co.uk/
https://www.bestofsuffolk.co.uk/
https://durrantsholidaycottages.co.uk/

Cheers!

Suffolk holiday cottage on coast? on 11:24 - Jan 7 with 2242 viewsgtsb1966

I was looking at places to stay Norfolk or Suffolk last night. Wanted something for five days. Couldn't believe the difference in price for term time and out of term. Could get a place between £300 and £400 near the end of June but come the end of July it was between £800 and £1000. My other half has a child in school. We'll take the £60 fine and go in June.

P.s...going to Spain with a few mates all inclusive in September for only £510 for the week. We really do get ripped off in this country.
[Post edited 7 Jan 2022 11:26]
Login to get fewer ads

Suffolk holiday cottage on coast? on 11:46 - Jan 7 with 2157 viewsN2_Blue

Suffolk holiday cottage on coast? on 11:24 - Jan 7 by gtsb1966

I was looking at places to stay Norfolk or Suffolk last night. Wanted something for five days. Couldn't believe the difference in price for term time and out of term. Could get a place between £300 and £400 near the end of June but come the end of July it was between £800 and £1000. My other half has a child in school. We'll take the £60 fine and go in June.

P.s...going to Spain with a few mates all inclusive in September for only £510 for the week. We really do get ripped off in this country.
[Post edited 7 Jan 2022 11:26]

We do, especially the whole term time/out of term time. Of course prices also when crazy with the pandemic and the demand for more staycations.

I'm sure a week abroad in Europe is considerably cheaper than a week in the UK currently

Suffolk holiday cottage on coast? on 11:48 - Jan 7 with 2146 viewsGeoffSentence

Suffolk holiday cottage on coast? on 10:58 - Jan 7 by giant_stow

Winterton must be one of the few spots round there that hasnt washed away

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Suffolk holiday cottage on coast? on 11:51 - Jan 7 with 2143 viewsGeoffSentence

You didnt give any idea of budget so assuming anything is allowable at this point how about staying in a martello tower

https://www.landmarktrust.org.uk/search-and-book/properties/martello-tower-9317

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Suffolk holiday cottage on coast? on 11:59 - Jan 7 with 2120 viewsgiant_stow

Suffolk holiday cottage on coast? on 11:48 - Jan 7 by GeoffSentence

Winterton must be one of the few spots round there that hasnt washed away

As N2 says, it lost the Dunes Cafe* a year or so back and seems to be getting hit by a string of storms blowing the wrong way, so huge chunks of beach have been lost this year.

*I forgot to say earlier that a nice young couple have plonked some burger vans in the car park and are doing posh (but pricey) snacks out of them, so alls not lost. Apparently, because of the storms, they've had to move the caravans back a few times this year already.

Just remembered a recent Guardian article on this very topic for anyone who hasn;t had enough 'Winterton' yet: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/jan/01/sands-slip-england-crumbling
[Post edited 7 Jan 2022 12:01]

Suffolk holiday cottage on coast? on 12:04 - Jan 7 with 2104 viewsN2_Blue

Suffolk holiday cottage on coast? on 11:51 - Jan 7 by GeoffSentence

You didnt give any idea of budget so assuming anything is allowable at this point how about staying in a martello tower

https://www.landmarktrust.org.uk/search-and-book/properties/martello-tower-9317

Well yes anything considered budget wise.

Wow what a great idea, that's very cool! Never realised you could stay in a Martello tower. Could be interesting on a stormy Spring night!
[Post edited 7 Jan 2022 16:37]

Suffolk holiday cottage on coast? on 12:07 - Jan 7 with 2093 viewsN2_Blue

Suffolk holiday cottage on coast? on 11:59 - Jan 7 by giant_stow

As N2 says, it lost the Dunes Cafe* a year or so back and seems to be getting hit by a string of storms blowing the wrong way, so huge chunks of beach have been lost this year.

*I forgot to say earlier that a nice young couple have plonked some burger vans in the car park and are doing posh (but pricey) snacks out of them, so alls not lost. Apparently, because of the storms, they've had to move the caravans back a few times this year already.

Just remembered a recent Guardian article on this very topic for anyone who hasn;t had enough 'Winterton' yet: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/jan/01/sands-slip-england-crumbling
[Post edited 7 Jan 2022 12:01]

I think even the static van acting as the cafe has gone in recent weeks...they lost a lot of the car park this winter.

Suffolk holiday cottage on coast? on 12:11 - Jan 7 with 2074 viewsgiant_stow

Suffolk holiday cottage on coast? on 12:07 - Jan 7 by N2_Blue

I think even the static van acting as the cafe has gone in recent weeks...they lost a lot of the car park this winter.

WHAT?!!!!!!

Oh no.

Genuinely gutted for them and the village.
[Post edited 7 Jan 2022 12:12]

Suffolk holiday cottage on coast? on 14:33 - Jan 7 with 1931 viewsIpswichKnight

Suffolk holiday cottage on coast? on 11:20 - Jan 7 by N2_Blue

Yes was thinking Southwold or Aldeburgh. Won't be cheap but we are going out of season --before Easter. We walk the beach in all weather - and won't have the London day trippers that turn up en-masse in summer.

Just wondering if anyone knew any hidden gems for rental properties that they may have stayed in, or perhaps even own themselves.

Landmark trust own the Martello tower in Aldebugh, my parents rented it many years ago it’s definitely unique!
Suffolk holiday cottage on coast? on 16:16 - Jan 7 with 1864 viewsDubai_Blue

Suffolk holiday cottage on coast? on 12:11 - Jan 7 by giant_stow

WHAT?!!!!!!

Oh no.

Genuinely gutted for them and the village.
[Post edited 7 Jan 2022 12:12]

It hasn't been washed away just removed temporarily while they try to find somewhere more suitable. Beach road in Winterton has been closed to traffic as it is now a road to nowhere.

I walk Hemsby beach and Winterton valley every day with the hound, it is stunning this time of year, though the ever increasing Seal colony makes it a pain sometimes
Suffolk holiday cottage on coast? on 16:41 - Jan 7 with 1820 viewsN2_Blue

Suffolk holiday cottage on coast? on 16:16 - Jan 7 by Dubai_Blue

It hasn't been washed away just removed temporarily while they try to find somewhere more suitable. Beach road in Winterton has been closed to traffic as it is now a road to nowhere.

I walk Hemsby beach and Winterton valley every day with the hound, it is stunning this time of year, though the ever increasing Seal colony makes it a pain sometimes

The locals are going to have fun come next summer when everyone is looking for a place to park and head for beach road not realising the car park has gone.

I couldn't believe how many seals were at Winterton before Xmas. Has the Horsey colony moved down to Winterton or are these just even more seals?

Suffolk holiday cottage on coast? on 16:46 - Jan 7 with 1804 viewsBluespeed225

Stiffkey/Wells or Brancaster in Norfolk, or good old Thorpeness. Next to Aldburgh but without the pretentiousness. Southwold a fave using Suffolk Secrets company.
Suffolk holiday cottage on coast? on 16:47 - Jan 7 with 1802 viewswkj

Put it like this - Don't expect anything cheap. Cottage holidays are more or less everyone's solution to Covid getaways, and the demand is creating prices more expensive than a trip abroad.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Suffolk holiday cottage on coast? on 16:49 - Jan 7 with 1797 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Suffolk holiday cottage on coast? on 11:20 - Jan 7 by N2_Blue

Walberswick might be worth a look.

All being well, staying in Southwold next weekend at a clients holiday cottage. Lovely and quiet this time of year.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Suffolk holiday cottage on coast? on 16:49 - Jan 7 with 1795 viewsDubai_Blue

Suffolk holiday cottage on coast? on 16:41 - Jan 7 by N2_Blue

The locals are going to have fun come next summer when everyone is looking for a place to park and head for beach road not realising the car park has gone.

I couldn't believe how many seals were at Winterton before Xmas. Has the Horsey colony moved down to Winterton or are these just even more seals?

There are just even more seals, the colony is increasing year on year and are getting further down the coast.

I always walk on Hemsby beach and I have seen more there this year than ever before
Suffolk holiday cottage on coast? on 16:57 - Jan 7 with 1774 viewsN2_Blue

Suffolk holiday cottage on coast? on 16:49 - Jan 7 by StochesStotasBlewe

All being well, staying in Southwold next weekend at a clients holiday cottage. Lovely and quiet this time of year.

Yes we are planning a week in March, have found a couple of places Southwold way that are a reasonable price - being about a third of the price for what they are in peak season!

Suffolk holiday cottage on coast? on 19:08 - Jan 7 with 1655 viewsstonojnr

Suffolk holiday cottage on coast? on 16:49 - Jan 7 by StochesStotasBlewe

Walberswick is even more pretentious a place than Aldeburgh is, its full of the Kensington & Chelsea set across the summer months, with prices to match.

I know that there are more places near the coastal area that are cheaper, than necessarily being on the coast itself. So look inland for some good spots in that area too, unless being on the beach is a necessity. But then you can hire a caravan at Kessingland, its the same sea, same kind of beach.
Suffolk holiday cottage on coast? on 07:26 - Jan 8 with 1490 viewsTractorWood

The Gin Trap inn in Ringstead is very nice. They sometimes have pretty cracking dinner, bed and breakfast deals too.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024