Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Urgent Friday lunch question - are sprouts an acceptable substitute for peas? 11:32 - Jan 7 with 2347 viewsWeWereZombies

It's Friday so fish and chips will be going in the oven in an hour or so. I have no peas but do have frozen beans (not a euphemism for the effects of the cold weather). However, I also have a vegetable crisper with many unused Brussels sprouts leftover from Christmas in the fridge. They need using but will they ruin lunch, do they sit easy with breaded peppered sole? Can I put tartare sauce on the plate and have it mixing with the sprouts?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Urgent Friday lunch question - are sprouts an acceptable substitute for peas? on 11:35 - Jan 7 with 1619 viewsstringy

runner beans (yes!), or broad beans (no)?
Urgent Friday lunch question - are sprouts an acceptable substitute for peas? on 11:37 - Jan 7 with 1619 viewsfooters

Good to see some Christian traditions are alive and well today.

Yes, this is acceptable. Fry 'em up with some bacon, butter and a lil' white wine vinegar. Job's a good'un.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Urgent Friday lunch question - are sprouts an acceptable substitute for peas? on 11:41 - Jan 7 with 1597 viewsKeno

good lord of all the hieriakries posted on TWTD this is a as bad as things carrot

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Urgent Friday lunch question - are sprouts an acceptable substitute for peas? on 11:45 - Jan 7 with 1578 viewsWeWereZombies

Urgent Friday lunch question - are sprouts an acceptable substitute for peas? on 11:35 - Jan 7 by stringy

runner beans (yes!), or broad beans (no)?

Runner beans, ages since I have bought broad beans, butter beans of any of the more exotic varieties. Maybe I should put that right next shop.

And to footers - I have no [edit white wine vinegar, I have got some distilled malt vinegar but i use that for cleaning windows] vinegar or bacon and very little butter so I am going to parboil the sprouts and them chuck them in the oven for the final five minutes after coating them with a little honey.
[Post edited 7 Jan 2022 11:58]

Urgent Friday lunch question - are sprouts an acceptable substitute for peas? on 12:06 - Jan 7 with 1550 viewsleitrimblue

Most definitely, the sprout is the king of the round green veg. When cooked with bacon an cheese, yer fish an chips would almost be a side order to the sprouts. I would be a tad more concerned that you may be attempting to cook chips in a oven
Urgent Friday lunch question - are sprouts an acceptable substitute for peas? on 12:07 - Jan 7 with 1538 viewsWeWereZombies

Urgent Friday lunch question - are sprouts an acceptable substitute for peas? on 12:06 - Jan 7 by leitrimblue

Most definitely, the sprout is the king of the round green veg. When cooked with bacon an cheese, yer fish an chips would almost be a side order to the sprouts. I would be a tad more concerned that you may be attempting to cook chips in a oven

They're oven chips...

Urgent Friday lunch question - are sprouts an acceptable substitute for peas? on 12:14 - Jan 7 with 1521 viewsleitrimblue

Urgent Friday lunch question - are sprouts an acceptable substitute for peas? on 12:07 - Jan 7 by WeWereZombies

They're oven chips...

The oven chip is clearly a stain on the whole potato family. What next Zombers, microwave chips, potato waffles? It's a slippery downhill slope. The humble potato deserves to be peeled an chipped by hand prior to frying. Surely it's not much to ask
Urgent Friday lunch question - are sprouts an acceptable substitute for peas? on 12:19 - Jan 7 with 1501 viewsWeWereZombies

Urgent Friday lunch question - are sprouts an acceptable substitute for peas? on 12:14 - Jan 7 by leitrimblue

The oven chip is clearly a stain on the whole potato family. What next Zombers, microwave chips, potato waffles? It's a slippery downhill slope. The humble potato deserves to be peeled an chipped by hand prior to frying. Surely it's not much to ask

However baking rather than frying is a bit kinder to the old waistline.

The Kilkenny family I have half a foot in refer to the breaded fish that goes with them as 'oven fish', doesn't matter if it is cod, haddock, pollock, lemon sole or coelacanth, it all goes under the umbrella term 'oven fish'. That annoys me but I guess I also have to admit that it does cast a light on the homogeneity that breading and oven cooking bestows upon fish.

Login to get fewer ads

Urgent Friday lunch question - are sprouts an acceptable substitute for peas? on 12:25 - Jan 7 with 1483 viewsKeno

Urgent Friday lunch question - are sprouts an acceptable substitute for peas? on 12:14 - Jan 7 by leitrimblue

and lest we forget it deserves to be hand crinkle cut before frying

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Urgent Friday lunch question - are sprouts an acceptable substitute for peas? on 12:32 - Jan 7 with 1469 viewsMookamoo

Cut them in half, par boil them and then stir fry them with some balsamic vinegar - perfect with fish.
Urgent Friday lunch question - are sprouts an acceptable substitute for peas? on 12:33 - Jan 7 with 1463 viewsleitrimblue

Urgent Friday lunch question - are sprouts an acceptable substitute for peas? on 12:19 - Jan 7 by WeWereZombies

However baking rather than frying is a bit kinder to the old waistline.

The Kilkenny family I have half a foot in refer to the breaded fish that goes with them as 'oven fish', doesn't matter if it is cod, haddock, pollock, lemon sole or coelacanth, it all goes under the umbrella term 'oven fish'. That annoys me but I guess I also have to admit that it does cast a light on the homogeneity that breading and oven cooking bestows upon fish.

I try to ignore the waistline when visiting the chipper on chip Friday. I have to confess to not being a fan of fish
Urgent Friday lunch question - are sprouts an acceptable substitute for peas? on 13:12 - Jan 7 with 1384 viewsSWGF

Urgent Friday lunch question - are sprouts an acceptable substitute for peas? on 12:06 - Jan 7 by leitrimblue

That much of a king that they need to be combined with bacon and cheese? There aren't many things that can't be improved by bacon and cheese.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Urgent Friday lunch question - are sprouts an acceptable substitute for peas? on 13:15 - Jan 7 with 1372 viewsPinewoodblue

Dare I Suggest baked beans.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Urgent Friday lunch question - are sprouts an acceptable substitute for peas? on 13:16 - Jan 7 with 1367 viewsRandall

Of course not! lol
Urgent Friday lunch question - are sprouts an acceptable substitute for peas? on 13:17 - Jan 7 with 1360 viewsMattinLondon

Sprouts are never acceptable. Just as awful as salad cream.
Urgent Friday lunch question - are sprouts an acceptable substitute for peas? on 13:18 - Jan 7 with 1359 viewsleitrimblue

Urgent Friday lunch question - are sprouts an acceptable substitute for peas? on 13:12 - Jan 7 by SWGF

That much of a king that they need to be combined with bacon and cheese? There aren't many things that can't be improved by bacon and cheese.

I think you have answered this yerself. Though they are a king 'there aren't many things that can't be improved by bacon an cheese'
Urgent Friday lunch question - are sprouts an acceptable substitute for peas? on 13:18 - Jan 7 with 1359 viewsfooters

Urgent Friday lunch question - are sprouts an acceptable substitute for peas? on 13:15 - Jan 7 by Pinewoodblue

Dare I Suggest baked beans.

Here's a handy recipe my good friend wkj posted not so long ago. Heaven.

Original Pringles with a cheesy baked beans dip by Churchman 24 Dec 2021 15:40
Good combo. I think the cheese needs to be grated in generous quantities and sprinkled over the beans when done. Then you can lift the bean/cheese combo with the Pringles like you would nachos

Urgent Friday lunch question - are sprouts an acceptable substitute for peas? on 13:41 - Jan 7 with 1316 viewsWeWereZombies

Urgent Friday lunch question - are sprouts an acceptable substitute for peas? on 13:18 - Jan 7 by footers

Here's a handy recipe my good friend wkj posted not so long ago. Heaven.

Original Pringles with a cheesy baked beans dip by Churchman 24 Dec 2021 15:40
Good combo. I think the cheese needs to be grated in generous quantities and sprinkled over the beans when done. Then you can lift the bean/cheese combo with the Pringles like you would nachos

And how much white wine vinegar do you add?

Urgent Friday lunch question - are sprouts an acceptable substitute for peas? on 13:43 - Jan 7 with 1303 viewsfooters

Urgent Friday lunch question - are sprouts an acceptable substitute for peas? on 13:41 - Jan 7 by WeWereZombies

Top tip: Save on white wine vinegar by using salt and vinegar Pringles for this authentic stoner dish.

Urgent Friday lunch question - are sprouts an acceptable substitute for peas? on 13:48 - Jan 7 with 1292 viewsleitrimblue

Urgent Friday lunch question - are sprouts an acceptable substitute for peas? on 13:41 - Jan 7 by WeWereZombies

Think the recipe is calling out for 500mil of ice dragon or a splash or 2 of mad dog
Urgent Friday lunch question - are sprouts an acceptable substitute for peas? on 13:49 - Jan 7 with 1291 viewsStokieBlue

Brussel sprouts > Peas in all circumstances.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Urgent Friday lunch question - are sprouts an acceptable substitute for peas? on 13:50 - Jan 7 with 1284 viewsWeWereZombies

Urgent Friday lunch question - are sprouts an acceptable substitute for peas? on 13:49 - Jan 7 by StokieBlue

Brussel sprouts > Peas in all circumstances.

SB

Especially when using a catapult...

Urgent Friday lunch question - are sprouts an acceptable substitute for peas? on 14:57 - Jan 7 with 1200 viewsCharlie_pl_baxter

Sprouts are never acceptable

Poll: We recruit two strikers, one has to be Bonne or Wickham, who would you have?

Urgent Friday lunch question - are sprouts an acceptable substitute for peas? on 15:06 - Jan 7 with 1176 viewsleitrimblue

Urgent Friday lunch question - are sprouts an acceptable substitute for peas? on 14:57 - Jan 7 by Charlie_pl_baxter

Sprouts are never acceptable

Is it acceptable to report this as abuse?
Urgent Friday lunch question - are sprouts an acceptable substitute for peas? on 15:10 - Jan 7 with 1153 viewsMediocre_Quick

Baked Beans, yes, Brussells, no
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024