Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Left Wing Back in a back five 17:33 - Jan 7 with 1346 viewsSmithy

Could Kyle Edwards be a surprise success there???

37 years and counting!
Poll: We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most?

Left Wing Back in a back five on 17:44 - Jan 7 with 1293 viewsGuthrum

Don't think it would be that much of a surprise. He is good at beating his man. Altho a lot of the same issues would exist as when he is on the wing - crossing and shooting. Not such onerous defensive duties as a proper full-back.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Left Wing Back in a back five on 17:58 - Jan 7 with 1241 viewsjayessess

He looks a good one-on-one defender and seems relatively disciplined positionally. A lot of teams (Rotherham the most notable) have also used our full backs receiving the ball as a trigger to press and you'd imagine Edwards would be good at playing through that.

But it still might be a big reach! How many left wingers became brilliant left wing backs?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Left Wing Back in a back five on 18:04 - Jan 7 with 1221 viewsKeaneish

Left Wing Back in a back five on 17:44 - Jan 7 by Guthrum

Don't think it would be that much of a surprise. He is good at beating his man. Altho a lot of the same issues would exist as when he is on the wing - crossing and shooting. Not such onerous defensive duties as a proper full-back.

If we're playing wing-backs its more onerous and one of the toughest positions on the pitch. The yards you cover in a game working up and down the channel are massive.

To answer the OP, he's not ready for that i don't think. I noticed he switched off a few times in recent games tracking back. I'd like to see him work on his end product more than his tracking to be honest as both might be a step beyond him at this stage. Get one right and then introduce another.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Left Wing Back in a back five on 18:34 - Jan 7 with 1143 viewsGuthrum

Left Wing Back in a back five on 18:04 - Jan 7 by Keaneish

If we're playing wing-backs its more onerous and one of the toughest positions on the pitch. The yards you cover in a game working up and down the channel are massive.

To answer the OP, he's not ready for that i don't think. I noticed he switched off a few times in recent games tracking back. I'd like to see him work on his end product more than his tracking to be honest as both might be a step beyond him at this stage. Get one right and then introduce another.

Yes if it's wing-backs in a four, a bit easier if you have three centre-backs to cover (with one necessarily out a bit wider on your side).

Edit: Also, I'm not sure lack of speed is his problem.
[Post edited 7 Jan 2022 18:34]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Left Wing Back in a back five on 19:58 - Jan 7 with 1030 viewsNthQldITFC

I think he's perfect for that role, and he just needs to be coached to take half a second longer to calm himself before crossing or shooting. He's on the edge of being a really, really good player.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Left Wing Back in a back five on 20:39 - Jan 7 with 983 viewsMetal_Hacker

Left Wing Back in a back five on 19:58 - Jan 7 by NthQldITFC

I think he's perfect for that role, and he just needs to be coached to take half a second longer to calm himself before crossing or shooting. He's on the edge of being a really, really good player.

I’m with you this and noticed you mention him for this role for a good few weeks too

Hoping McK gets in his ribs and coaches him

Think it could and would (eventually) be very good

Poll: If it were one or the other

Left Wing Back in a back five on 20:41 - Jan 7 with 963 viewsDyland

Agree, wouldn't be a surprise at all, not with a back three certainly. The midfield and one of the front two would need to keep coming close to get the ball though or we wouldn't create anything down that side ;)

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Agreed, has it in him... with the right coaching.... on 20:43 - Jan 7 with 955 viewsDyland

Left Wing Back in a back five on 19:58 - Jan 7 by NthQldITFC

Oh! We have a young and exciting coaching team? Who woulda thought...

COYFB

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Login to get fewer ads

Left Wing Back in a back five on 23:20 - Jan 7 with 823 viewsbournemouthblue

Left Wing Back in a back five on 17:58 - Jan 7 by jayessess

He looks a good one-on-one defender and seems relatively disciplined positionally. A lot of teams (Rotherham the most notable) have also used our full backs receiving the ball as a trigger to press and you'd imagine Edwards would be good at playing through that.

But it still might be a big reach! How many left wingers became brilliant left wing backs?

I few wingers have become full backs in their latter years see Ashley Young, James Miller and a few players like Kevin Kilbane, Fabian Delph etc

It can be done, I think it was Martinez at Wigan used Victor Moses as a wing back in games

I can remember Eddie Howe sticking Matt Ritchie at full back when they were totally overloading us, if simply just to attack us relentlessly given their dominance of the ball
[Post edited 7 Jan 2022 23:20]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Left Wing Back in a back five on 09:31 - Jan 8 with 573 viewsKeaneish

Left Wing Back in a back five on 18:34 - Jan 7 by Guthrum

Yes if it's wing-backs in a four, a bit easier if you have three centre-backs to cover (with one necessarily out a bit wider on your side).

Edit: Also, I'm not sure lack of speed is his problem.
[Post edited 7 Jan 2022 18:34]

You don’t really want centre backs pulled out to cover though; the more they’re a solid unit of three within the width of the 18-yard box the harder we are to break down and the easier it is to defend balls into the box or runners from deep.

A wing-back needs to be positionally sound and mark space as much as he does a man so he always has a good starting position. If he’s reliant on a centre back covering and the centre back gets done, we’re exposed.

Edwards has a lot of work to do to be ready for this role. Men ran off him too easily playing a 442 at Wigan. Mind you, Penney is equally guilty of poor tracking and starting positions and relies on Edmundson a lot.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Left Wing Back in a back five on 09:42 - Jan 8 with 552 viewsfranz_tyson

Left Wing Back in a back five on 09:31 - Jan 8 by Keaneish

You don’t really want centre backs pulled out to cover though; the more they’re a solid unit of three within the width of the 18-yard box the harder we are to break down and the easier it is to defend balls into the box or runners from deep.

A wing-back needs to be positionally sound and mark space as much as he does a man so he always has a good starting position. If he’s reliant on a centre back covering and the centre back gets done, we’re exposed.

Edwards has a lot of work to do to be ready for this role. Men ran off him too easily playing a 442 at Wigan. Mind you, Penney is equally guilty of poor tracking and starting positions and relies on Edmundson a lot.

I agree that Edwards will have to work hard to transform himself into a wing back. We all know about McKenna’s experience as a coach, but he’s not a magician. It’s got to come from the lad as well where he has to learn a different role and the skills of the defensive side. He could adapt but it will take time. Do we have time for someone to learn a new role?
Might be better for him to be coached on his obvious weakness which is the end product. He’s got defenders on toast until he has that final split-second to pull the trigger.
Left Wing Back in a back five on 12:56 - Jan 8 with 457 viewschrismakin

I'd like to see what KVY could do as a left wing back.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024