Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We've looked very good today but this has happened before 16:23 - Jan 8 with 3576 viewsSimonds92

We have taken Wycombe, Doncaster and Portsmouth apart this season. The key is consistency lets not go overboard thinking McKenna has solved all our problems. We do look nicely balanced but we always look 10 times better with Burns in the team.
We've looked very good today but this has happened before on 16:25 - Jan 8 with 2742 viewsfooters

Not so sure about that. We look much more composed in all areas of the park today compared to previous games, even winning ones. Always looked like we could ship a goal or three at any time under Cook.

What McKenna's been able to do in such a short space of time is remarkable based on today's performance.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

We've looked very good today but this has happened before on 16:25 - Jan 8 with 2745 viewsSouthBucksBlue

Better have a slurp from your half empty glass quickly!
We've looked very good today but this has happened before on 16:26 - Jan 8 with 2717 viewsStokieBlue

We didn't play anything like as well with regards to passing play and structure in those games as we have in this one.

This looks like something that can be repeatable. Those were just "one of those days" performances.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

We've looked very good today but this has happened before on 16:27 - Jan 8 with 2678 viewsRyorry

Nah, this is different gravy - much better basics seem to be there, we're not just getting lucky. Yes they're poor, but even so.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

We've looked very good today but this has happened before on 16:28 - Jan 8 with 2674 viewsgainsboroughblue

We've looked very good today but this has happened before on 16:25 - Jan 8 by SouthBucksBlue

Better have a slurp from your half empty glass quickly!

I can fully understand anybody who supports Town to be cautious about being optimistic. Yeah, the signs look good and it is a lot better than we've seen, but we are also used to having our hopes crushed.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

We've looked very good today but this has happened before on 16:29 - Jan 8 with 2650 viewsSimonds92

We've looked very good today but this has happened before on 16:25 - Jan 8 by footers

Not so sure about that. We look much more composed in all areas of the park today compared to previous games, even winning ones. Always looked like we could ship a goal or three at any time under Cook.

What McKenna's been able to do in such a short space of time is remarkable based on today's performance.

Not sure that was the case against Portsmouth or Doncaster. Yes Doncaster are dreadful but so are Gillingham.
We've looked very good today but this has happened before on 16:33 - Jan 8 with 2585 viewsHerbivore

In only his second game, McKenna is on for recording back to back wins. It took Cook about 30 games to achieve that feat and he only did so once. I don't think anyone is going overboard but this is a performance that is very encouraging, because it's based on us looking like we have a coherent shape and way of playing rather than just having much better players.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

We've looked very good today but this has happened before on 17:00 - Jan 8 with 2452 viewshomer_123

Today...we looked like a team.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Login to get fewer ads

We've looked very good today but this has happened before on 17:02 - Jan 8 with 2411 viewsfab_lover

Well...I was one of the people coming on after we lost games in the last 10 games or so of Cook's spell here. As I said at the time, the way he screwed up the previous season for us meant I didn't have confidence in him, and sadly that was correct. I took no pleasure in our results, just wanted to voice my upset on this forum.

I'm not thinking "play offs" yet, but I'm full of optimism and flip it, that feels good. The comments about how we're still chasing the ball in the dying minutes when we're 4-0 up show that it's light and shade compared to what went before.

Let's be positive. Let's believe. Uppa Towen.
We've looked very good today but this has happened before on 17:03 - Jan 8 with 2364 viewsNthsuffolkblue

We've looked very good today but this has happened before on 16:25 - Jan 8 by footers

Not seen that slick passing, controlled and balanced play without a sniff of letting the opposition back into it at all from us for a very long time.

How long did it take Cook to win 2 games on the trot?

I still think the play-offs is too much of an ask, but McKenna is doing a pretty good job of making me change my mind on that. If we can win another 8 on the trot then maybe just maybe.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

We've looked very good today but this has happened before on 17:03 - Jan 8 with 2370 viewsMillsey

Gordon Bennet, moan somewhere else
We've looked very good today but this has happened before on 17:03 - Jan 8 with 2368 viewsbilllm

Not so sure on that, we look much more assured and calculated in our play ATM,
We've looked very good today but this has happened before on 17:07 - Jan 8 with 2295 viewsAlanRetentive

We've looked very good today but this has happened before on 17:03 - Jan 8 by Millsey

Gordon Bennet, moan somewhere else

It is a generally accepted fact that Gordon Bennett has a double 't' at the end of his surname. It is surely not too difficult a thing to check content for mistakes like this before posting.

*** Puch Maxi N Owners Club, Social Distancing Officer (SoDOff) and Undersecretary for The Verification of Vaccinations And Testing (UTVVAT) 2021 ***

We've looked very good today but this has happened before on 17:07 - Jan 8 with 2295 viewsBluroo

Well I’m happy to walk under a few ladders and smash a few mirrors and say I think McKenna is the real deal and expect these vastly improved performances to be there consistently.
We've looked very good today but this has happened before on 17:16 - Jan 8 with 2188 viewsSimonds92

We've looked very good today but this has happened before on 17:03 - Jan 8 by billlm

Not so sure on that, we look much more assured and calculated in our play ATM,

Do i want this to be the turning point ? Absolutely, as we consistently say this squad is ridiculous for this division but in spells we have played teams off the park a number of times this season.
Our fan base is very bi-polar one minute we're incredible, a month later we're the worst team to have ever worn the shirt. I think we've done today what we should have done against a team on an utterly dreadful run of form.
We've looked very good today but this has happened before on 17:19 - Jan 8 with 2152 viewsKeaneish

We've looked very good today but this has happened before on 16:26 - Jan 8 by StokieBlue

We didn't play anything like as well with regards to passing play and structure in those games as we have in this one.

This looks like something that can be repeatable. Those were just "one of those days" performances.

SB

I think you need to take the opposition into account with that statement. We looked comprehensive against Wycombe at home first half and atrocious second. The OP is right, some of those frailties remain. We gave Gillingham a few too many free headers in our box first half, overplayed at the back a bit in the second and had poor movement in the final third in the second half. It’s a fantastic result and is very encouraging but we’re not out-of-the-woods.

We have a good structure forming and we’re seeing McKenna make more tactical iterations pre-game to beat the opposition than Cook. The foundations were already laid pre-McKenna and Pert but they’ve come in and elevated it magnificently in a short time. With players hungry to impress, I agree, we should be confident of seeing repeat performances like this with those frailties ironed out pretty soon.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

We've looked very good today but this has happened before on 17:21 - Jan 8 with 2120 viewsStrimmer

OP is correct in my opinion and I don’t think that’s moaning or glass half emptyism. Brilliant performance against Gillingham who let’s face it arrived beaten. The idea we can see from this performance that it will definitely be repeated elsewhere is frankly guesswork and narrative. I think we will! Very excited to see what we do next. But brass tacks, have we been here before, frankly yes. And I for one will be reminding myself of that, don’t think it’s crazy to do so.

Poll: Was it a punch?

We've looked very good today but this has happened before on 17:23 - Jan 8 with 2104 viewsclive_baker

More encouraging than the wins for me is back to back clean sheets. We didn’t at any point under Cook demonstrate that we were solid defensively, either in terms of shape or personnel. It was my 1 wish when Cook was sacked, that we get a manager and staff that value the art of being robust defensively.

Good start for KM on that front and very good to secure 6 points from 6. We need points if we are to salvage this season so long may it continue. We’ll play much better sides than Gillingham, they really were on a par with Doncaster, but you can only beat what’s in front of you and to win 4-0 away to anyone is a great result.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

We've looked very good today but this has happened before on 17:25 - Jan 8 with 2066 viewsNthsuffolkblue

We've looked very good today but this has happened before on 17:19 - Jan 8 by Keaneish

I think you need to take the opposition into account with that statement. We looked comprehensive against Wycombe at home first half and atrocious second. The OP is right, some of those frailties remain. We gave Gillingham a few too many free headers in our box first half, overplayed at the back a bit in the second and had poor movement in the final third in the second half. It’s a fantastic result and is very encouraging but we’re not out-of-the-woods.

We have a good structure forming and we’re seeing McKenna make more tactical iterations pre-game to beat the opposition than Cook. The foundations were already laid pre-McKenna and Pert but they’ve come in and elevated it magnificently in a short time. With players hungry to impress, I agree, we should be confident of seeing repeat performances like this with those frailties ironed out pretty soon.

Are you also prepared to take the opposition into account when a Paul Cook team took on Morecambe, or Newport, or Burton, or Cheltenham, or Cambridge, or Bolton, or Oldham, or Colchester, or Arsenal's youths, or Barrow? And that's just this season!

I am sure there will be poor performances under McKenna. However, I am equally sure we won't get them 2 matches out of every 3 and a dozen or more of them every season.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

We've looked very good today but this has happened before on 17:27 - Jan 8 with 2040 viewsclive_baker

We've looked very good today but this has happened before on 17:19 - Jan 8 by Keaneish

I feel like our fans are completely delusional sometimes, there’s no such thing as a perfect performance at any level. If you watched today and thought we dished out anything other than a complete battering then I don’t understand what you’re expecting. Of course we won’t win 4-0 every week, no side ever has. It’s green shoots, yes they’re a poor team and absolutely nobody is getting carried away, but we’ve just gone away from home and had 75% of the possession and won 4-0.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

We've looked very good today but this has happened before on 17:34 - Jan 8 with 2001 viewsazuremerlangus

We've looked very good today but this has happened before on 16:26 - Jan 8 by StokieBlue

SB

Agree - player performances don’t look that different but they look like a solid team now.

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

We've looked very good today but this has happened before on 18:09 - Jan 8 with 1910 viewsHerbivore

We've looked very good today but this has happened before on 17:27 - Jan 8 by clive_baker

I feel like our fans are completely delusional sometimes, there’s no such thing as a perfect performance at any level. If you watched today and thought we dished out anything other than a complete battering then I don’t understand what you’re expecting. Of course we won’t win 4-0 every week, no side ever has. It’s green shoots, yes they’re a poor team and absolutely nobody is getting carried away, but we’ve just gone away from home and had 75% of the possession and won 4-0.

Think Keaneish's appraisal is a hangover from his unwavering support for Cook and his subsequent scepticism that a new man might do better.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

We've looked very good today but this has happened before on 18:12 - Jan 8 with 1879 viewschrismakin

Sorry Keanish, there were no foundations laid before. A squad yes, but thats it. KM took over a squad lacking in confidence, lacking in tactical awareness, lacking in phase of play direction and lack of trust of what's been asked of them

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

We've looked very good today but this has happened before on 18:21 - Jan 8 with 1814 viewsChurchman

After a few good performances against stronger teams (Sunderland, WW and Wigan), we went out and trampled all over Gillingham - a fixture in history we’d have probably messed up. Well done all! I’m so pleased
We've looked very good today but this has happened before on 19:09 - Jan 8 with 1715 viewsBlueBadger

We'd have probably gotten a draw today under Cook.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024