Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ranking Town's worst managers 09:42 - Jan 9 with 8547 viewsHerbivore

Thought it was worth doing an updated one of these in light of Cook's demise and departure. Given how his time here went, he has to be seen as a legit contender. I'm sticking to a list of five and I should caveat my list with the fact that I started supporting Town under John Duncan so haven't included anyone prior to his time in charge (or ultimately Duncan himself as it goes).

1. Paul Hurst - whilst Cook styled himself as demolition man, Hurst really did demolish a competent Championship squad and replaced it with dross. We've still not recovered.

2. Paul Cook - perhaps a touch controversial, but the shortness of his tenure speaks to his level of failure. To manage a worse record than Paul Lambert did in the third tier with the players at his disposal takes some doing.

3. Roy Keane - could easily have been a spot higher or indeed a spot lower, swapping with my number 4 on the list. Spunked away the only millions Evans ever really invested in fees on average players and seemed to lack almost every quality you need to be a manager.

4. Paul Lambert - frankly I'm stunned I have him this low but it speaks to the 'quality' of the opposition. After coming in and saying some nice things that led to a short term uplift in performances (though not results) he seemed to lose all desire and any clue. Famously blew an almost open goal shot at promotion off the back of 27 points from our opening 11 games by inexplicably engaging in a season long game of Lambingo.

5. Paul Jewell - what to say really? Inherited a bit of a mess from Keane and then smeared that mess around a bit for just under 2 years. Occasionally 5 game runs of looking great invariably followed by 10 game runs of looking like a pub team. By the end he looked totally lost and should have been put out of his misery much sooner.

That's my list. It's a packed field, despite all of the managers listed having managed Town within the last 12 years.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2022 12:36]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Ranking Town's worst managers on 09:56 - Jan 9 with 3697 viewsITFC_Forever

How the hell is Cook beating the absolute weapons that were Keane, Jewell and Lambert?

It didn’t work out for him, fine, we all know that, but at least he had a Plan A, which is more than those cretins did. Those three are a stain on the club’s history.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Ranking Town's worst managers on 10:05 - Jan 9 with 3652 viewsHerbivore

Ranking Town's worst managers on 09:56 - Jan 9 by ITFC_Forever

How the hell is Cook beating the absolute weapons that were Keane, Jewell and Lambert?

It didn’t work out for him, fine, we all know that, but at least he had a Plan A, which is more than those cretins did. Those three are a stain on the club’s history.

I'm judging them on performance rather than whether I like them, that's how he ends up in second. His performance in the third tier was demonstrably worse than Lambert's, I struggle to see how he could be ranked lower than Lambert. Keane there is an argument for as I acknowledged.

Ranking Town's worst managers on 10:54 - Jan 9 with 3580 viewsFightingEssex

Keane took us to a semi final of a major competition, people might not like that fact but he was the best out of this pile of crud. He’d have never taken us down either, unlike Jewell who was actually the guy who ramped up the spending with silly wages and loans.

Our worse ever managers are…

1. Paul Cook (40 odd games in the third division and he won how many?)
2. Paul Lambert (should have taken us up twice and failed, did nothing to keep us up)
3. Paul Hurst (only here because at least his disaster was in a much better League)
4. Paul Jewell (nearly took us down while wrecking the finances)
5. Roy Keane (too much radical changes too quickly, actually got us into the semi finals of a major competition, the last manager to do so.)

Other than that Furguson and Duncan were also very poor appointments.

Poll: Next Ipswich Town manager?

Evans era on 10:59 - Jan 9 with 3562 viewsDyland

Keane
Hurst
Jewell
Lambert
Cook
McCarthy
Magic (yeh I know) :)

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Ranking Town's worst managers on 10:59 - Jan 9 with 3560 viewstractordownsouth

1) Paul Hurst - just by dividing the number of days he was here divided by the amount of damage caused he comes a clear first

2) Paul Lambert - barring 2 months in Autumn 2019 it was just a bit miserable. I still blame Hurst for relegation but the endless tinkering was too much

3) Roy Keane - inherited a team just outside the play offs, spent a load of money and underperformed.

4 Paul Cook - as above, but stays out of the bottom 3 because the football was better (copyright Badger)

5) Paul Jewell - I think he’d be much higher up had we not managed to survive that season. Although unlike Hurst, when he left we had the core of a half decent team even if half of them were loans (Henderson, Chambers, Cresswell, N’Daw, Murphy)

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Ranking Town's worst managers on 11:00 - Jan 9 with 3552 viewsTractorFrog

I agree with this. The only change I might make would be to swap Keane and Cook.

They'd all laugh at me if they knew what I was trying to do. To create a new strain of super-wine in half-an-hour with a fraction of nature's resources and a FOOL for an assistant. 'Bernard Black, he's mad,' they'd say, 'he's insane, he's dangerous.' Well I'll show them! I'll show them all!
Poll: What hurt more?

Ranking Town's worst managers on 11:39 - Jan 9 with 3439 viewsBiGDonnie

Agree with all of this list. There's even an argument to say Cook could be the worst as he was fcuking things up in a division lower than the rest.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Ranking Town's worst managers on 11:43 - Jan 9 with 3429 viewsReuser_is_God

He also recruited a number of good players for the level we at.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Login to get fewer ads

Ranking Town's worst managers on 11:49 - Jan 9 with 3408 viewstractordownsouth

Ranking Town's worst managers on 11:43 - Jan 9 by Reuser_is_God

He also recruited a number of good players for the level we at.

I wasn’t sure how to approach that side of things. On the one hand, recruiting good players means they haven’t caused as much damage for their successor to repair but it also means they’ve failed with a good squad.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Ranking Town's worst managers on 11:54 - Jan 9 with 3395 viewsBasingstokeBlue

> Paul Jewell ... Inherited a bit of a mess from Cook

Do you want to try that again?

Poll: What do you think of the three stars being relocated?

Ranking Town's worst managers on 12:06 - Jan 9 with 3357 viewsBasuco

Ranking Town's worst managers on 11:39 - Jan 9 by BiGDonnie

Agree with all of this list. There's even an argument to say Cook could be the worst as he was fcuking things up in a division lower than the rest.

Although you could say that ITFC screwed up by taking Cook on without first ensuring Leam Richardson would join him, having made the same mistake by hiring Paul Lambert without Ian Culverhouse, we should have been wary of Paul Cook with an untried and inexperienced coaching team.
Ranking Town's worst managers on 12:36 - Jan 9 with 3283 viewsHerbivore

Ranking Town's worst managers on 11:54 - Jan 9 by BasingstokeBlue

> Paul Jewell ... Inherited a bit of a mess from Cook

Do you want to try that again?

Well-spotted, now corrected.

Ranking Town's worst managers on 14:08 - Jan 9 with 3177 viewsChurchman

The order of shame is:

1. Hurst
2. Lambert
3. Keane
4. Jewell
5. Cook
6. Duncan
7. Ferguson
8. Magilton
9. McCarthy
10. Royle
11. Lyall
12. Burley
13. Robson

I have excluded Scott Duncan, Ramsey, Milburn, McGarry because I was either not around or too young to form a view.

Quite frankly, the top 6 hapless clowns could be shuffled in any order. The manager that annoyed me the most was Lambert. I grew to detest that bloke. A clueless bag of gas that never lost his extraordinary level of arrogance.
Ranking Town's worst managers on 14:16 - Jan 9 with 3152 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Having a plan A that clearly fails (even after having had the opportunity to sign a complete squad suited to it) is really not better than having no plan and playing 4 CBs and 4CMs chosen randomly from the squad available.

How is Cook beating Keane, Jewell and Lambert? By failing worse at an even lower level. The only thing is, at least he didn't leave us with an even worse squad than when he came in. But that is mainly down to having free reign on who to sign.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Ranking Town's worst managers on 14:40 - Jan 9 with 3106 viewschicoazul

Slightly conflicted on Hurst these days and to a much lesser extent Ke*ne. I feel both suffered from Evans’ total devolution of responsibilities to managers who clearly, in different ways and for different reasons, we’re totally out of their depth.
For Lambert I have no mercy.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Ranking Town's worst managers on 14:55 - Jan 9 with 3063 viewsBlueyandCrazy

We can debate the order of those 5 all day and night long.
What I think we can agree on is that 5/6 Evans appointments were indeed the worst 5 managers in Town's history.

The fact that John Duncan, or for that matter Mick McGiven (missed off some posts), don't even challenge those 5 says something, given the football was dire under both, and the latter was responsible for one of the worst seasons in our history (albeit top flight)

Poll: Worst ever ITFC manager

Ranking Town's worst managers on 14:57 - Jan 9 with 3059 viewsMullet

The fact that Jewell no longer tops the list is so depressing. What a decade wasted.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Ranking Town's worst managers on 15:01 - Jan 9 with 3046 viewsDyland

Ranking Town's worst managers on 14:57 - Jan 9 by Mullet

The fact that Jewell no longer tops the list is so depressing. What a decade wasted.

Jewell and Mullers in the tree...

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Ranking Town's worst managers on 15:05 - Jan 9 with 3018 viewsMullet

Ranking Town's worst managers on 15:01 - Jan 9 by Dyland

I’d have pushed him out of it buh

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Ranking Town's worst managers on 15:40 - Jan 9 with 2961 viewsIpswichKnight

I’ve decided this on who I’d enjoy kicking in the nuts repeatedly and that would be Lambert, still thinks he should be in charge, never forgets to remind us he played for a big club, never forgets to remind us he single-handedly won the champions league and this is then repeated by his mates in the media.
Ranking Town's worst managers on 15:46 - Jan 9 with 2932 viewsHerbivore

Ranking Town's worst managers on 15:40 - Jan 9 by IpswichKnight

I’ve decided this on who I’d enjoy kicking in the nuts repeatedly and that would be Lambert, still thinks he should be in charge, never forgets to remind us he played for a big club, never forgets to remind us he single-handedly won the champions league and this is then repeated by his mates in the media.

Using that criterion I'd say it's a straight fight between Lambert and Keane. Good job I've got two feet.

Ranking Town's worst managers on 15:47 - Jan 9 with 2924 viewsfooters

Ranking Town's worst managers on 15:01 - Jan 9 by Dyland

Jewell was a lovely chap but sadly a crap manager.

At least he had the good grace and self-awareness to admit he fecked it up.

Anyway, for me:

Hurst
Keane
Jewell
Lambert
Cook

Jesus, what were we playing at...

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Ranking Town's worst managers on 16:17 - Jan 9 with 2862 viewsIpswichKnight

Ranking Town's worst managers on 15:46 - Jan 9 by Herbivore

Using that criterion I'd say it's a straight fight between Lambert and Keane. Good job I've got two feet.

It’s a noteworthy point the use of two feet which would be ironic if we used it on Keane who had form for going two footed! I think I’d have to go with Hurst just as he was a total fraud and charlatan.
Ranking Town's worst managers on 16:22 - Jan 9 with 2833 viewsDarth_Koont

Objectively it’s the managers who left us in the worst position compared to when they started. With leeway for managers who had ups and downs in a longer tenure.

For me that means over the past 25 years:

1. Hurst
2. Jewell
3. Lambert
4. Keane
5. Cook
6. Magilton
7. McCarthy
8. Royle
9. Burley

Pronouns: He/Him

Ranking Town's worst managers on 16:26 - Jan 9 with 2805 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The idea of Cook worse than Lambert, Keane and Jewell is just outrageous.

I get that you didn’t like him and he probably did deserve to go when he did. But let’s not totally rewrite history with such OTT hyperbole to suggest he was worse than those three.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024