Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Age when you first took your kids to the footy 10:32 - Jan 9 with 2175 viewsglasso

My daughter (nearly 4) has been getting in my ear about going to the football ever since she got her Foals membership at the start of the season. I've no idea if she'll like it but she's dead excited about meeting Bluey (!) and seems to show an interest in Ipswich, so I kind of don't want to miss the opportunity to get her into the game.

We also get free tickets through the Foals thing, so it's literally a free pass to give it a go this season.

Anyone ever taken a 3/4 year old? How'd it go down?
Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 10:56 - Jan 9 with 1592 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Took my lad to see Man City aged 4.

Borrowed one of the best season tickets with meal beforehand etc.

He asked to leave at half time as he was bored!!

It was just a bit too soon, so don't expect full engagement aged 4, but it should be ok for a taster.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 10:57 - Jan 9 with 1584 viewsTractorFrog

Edward Ebeneezer Jeremiah Brown first went aged three.

They'd all laugh at me if they knew what I was trying to do. To create a new strain of super-wine in half-an-hour with a fraction of nature's resources and a FOOL for an assistant. 'Bernard Black, he's mad,' they'd say, 'he's insane, he's dangerous.' Well I'll show them! I'll show them all!
Poll: What hurt more?

Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 11:13 - Jan 9 with 1563 viewsPinewoodblue

Three months, his older brother insisted our youngest attended his birthday party which included a game against Blackburn. He cried every time we scored, four time in all. Had season ticket when he was 18 months but didn’t sit in his seat first two seasons.

He really got into it at an early age. Can recall an incident going to a home game against Norwich. His mother had told his older brothers, and sister, off for referring to Norwich as scum.

We saw the Norwich coach approaching the ground and, at 30 months old, he pointed to the coach and said “look scum”

In his thirties now still goes to occasional games, living now in East Midlands.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 11:21 - Jan 9 with 1549 viewsglasso

Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 11:13 - Jan 9 by Pinewoodblue

Three months, his older brother insisted our youngest attended his birthday party which included a game against Blackburn. He cried every time we scored, four time in all. Had season ticket when he was 18 months but didn’t sit in his seat first two seasons.

He really got into it at an early age. Can recall an incident going to a home game against Norwich. His mother had told his older brothers, and sister, off for referring to Norwich as scum.

We saw the Norwich coach approaching the ground and, at 30 months old, he pointed to the coach and said “look scum”

In his thirties now still goes to occasional games, living now in East Midlands.

Ha, amazing! My follow-up question was going to be whether it would be awful for our 1 year old son to come with us...
Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 11:47 - Jan 9 with 1498 viewsblueasfook

My boy was about 5 or 6 when I first took him to PR.

He used to sit and play on his Nintendo for most of the game!

TWTD Veteran
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 11:49 - Jan 9 with 1480 viewsbilllm

Took my three girls, 13, 8,6,
Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 11:51 - Jan 9 with 1475 viewsBiGDonnie

Took my boy to PR before he was two. Too young, I'd say 4/5 is the perfect time to take them.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 12:07 - Jan 9 with 1446 viewsborge

Take a tablet or phone for her to play on because she'll likely lose interest after the first five minutes and become a pain in the @rse. Took my eldest when she was five and my youngest when she was three and was glad that I had my sister and mum with me to help keep them entertained.

That said, the girl who sits behind me took both of hers when they were less than a month old! The eldest is now six and he is happy to sit through the whole 90 minutes watching the game.

Ultimately it depends on the child and how much they are genuinely interested in football versus just being excited by the occasion.
Login to get fewer ads

Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 12:10 - Jan 9 with 1432 viewsBasuco

My lad was 8, but it depends how lively / able to sit still without constant drip feeding of sweets to ensure they sit still. You do have to think about you being able to enjoy the game as well.
Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 12:13 - Jan 9 with 1426 viewsazuremerlangus

Took mine when he was 6 after asking around like you.

Any younger and they get bored and probably don’t remember the occasion.

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 14:16 - Jan 9 with 1340 viewsglasso

Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 12:07 - Jan 9 by borge

Take a tablet or phone for her to play on because she'll likely lose interest after the first five minutes and become a pain in the @rse. Took my eldest when she was five and my youngest when she was three and was glad that I had my sister and mum with me to help keep them entertained.

That said, the girl who sits behind me took both of hers when they were less than a month old! The eldest is now six and he is happy to sit through the whole 90 minutes watching the game.

Ultimately it depends on the child and how much they are genuinely interested in football versus just being excited by the occasion.

Oh, we're 100% at the 'excited by the occasion' end of the scale!
Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 14:18 - Jan 9 with 1328 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 10:56 - Jan 9 by Marshalls_Mullet

Took my lad to see Man City aged 4.

Borrowed one of the best season tickets with meal beforehand etc.

He asked to leave at half time as he was bored!!

It was just a bit too soon, so don't expect full engagement aged 4, but it should be ok for a taster.

Likewise my son who is dead keen. A couple of years later and he was fine. His sister is now 9 and she took a book to read (loves her reading) during the game. How she could read it in the lack of light I have no idea but it kept her quiet.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 14:34 - Jan 9 with 1313 viewsTheBoyBlue

Age 5/6 with all three.

If you take her, take plenty of snacks in case she gets bored and/or restless. Don't know how sensitive she is to noise, but possibly also ear defenders as with all three they were initially quite intimidated by the noise at first. If you can hold it off until the weather is warmer too she might stand more chance of enjoying it.

However, sounds like she's keen, so with the free game its worth a shot. They also give kids a certificate for their first match and they meet Bluey, so make sure you let the club know it's her first match.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 14:43 - Jan 9 with 1301 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

I took my son to see us play Liverpool in the 2001/02 season (they thrashed us) because I wanted him to be able to say he had seen Ipswich in the Premier League. He was 3 just turning 4. He found it way too noisy, and pulled the woolly hat down over his ears and eyes for most of the game. Good idea is to take some kids ear muffs.

Poll: would you rather

Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 14:49 - Jan 9 with 1284 viewsyesjohn99

Take them asap. It’s so important to try and get them hooked as the school playground these days is all premier league.

Took my daughter when she was 6, and recently took my 5 year son. It’ll break my heart for them to ask for a Man City/liverpool kit etc, even though it won’t be entertained in my house!
Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 14:50 - Jan 9 with 1274 viewsKeno

Took my daughter aged 24

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 15:03 - Jan 9 with 1243 viewsfabian_illness

Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 14:50 - Jan 9 by Keno

Took my daughter aged 24

Took my youngest to an early rounds cup game when he was about 6.
We were the only ones in our section, he must have tried every seat available by half time.
Then he wanted to go home.
The eldest lad loves it and often goes with his group of mates now. His first game, we were right in the top of the cobbold, back row, the couple in front were larger people and each time either of them stood up there was rather a lot of bum crack on show. We still laugh about that now.
Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 15:19 - Jan 9 with 1225 viewsITFC_Forever

About 38.

Oh, you meant their age….

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 16:02 - Jan 9 with 1171 viewsoldburian

Took my oldest boy when he was three in 1981 against Swansea, unfortunately a defeat, but he has been a fanatic ever since. Grateful that he saw the Dutchmen although he cannot remember anything. He just thanks his old dad !
The wife and I took him to the open day on 1st October 1978, he was a year and one day old, in his pushchair wearing his junior blue badge and he took it all in. He would sit and watch the whole match and take it all in. His younger brother, a far better sportsman, never had the concentration.
But both boys have brought their children up the correct way, all junior blues. Could not be a happier parent.
Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 16:07 - Jan 9 with 1163 viewshoppy

Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 15:19 - Jan 9 by ITFC_Forever

About 38.

Doh… I scrolled down before making that same comment, only to see I’d been beaten to it.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 17:27 - Jan 9 with 1099 viewsSwansea_Blue

Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 15:19 - Jan 9 by ITFC_Forever

About 38.

Gah! Beaten to it. But only by a couple of hours which is pretty good for me.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 17:37 - Jan 9 with 1084 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Better late than never.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2022 17:39]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 17:38 - Jan 9 with 1076 viewshoppy

Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 17:27 - Jan 9 by Swansea_Blue

Gah! Beaten to it. But only by a couple of hours which is pretty good for me.

Even I would've beaten you to it by an hour and 20 mins if he hadn't...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 17:44 - Jan 9 with 1067 viewsSwansea_Blue

Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 17:38 - Jan 9 by hoppy

Even I would've beaten you to it by an hour and 20 mins if he hadn't...

Ah, apologies as I didn’t see your post as I was too busy sulking about being late again. In my defence I was driving up to N Wales and I haven’t honed my driving & posting skills.

Back to the OP, I think my 2 were both about 3 or 4 for their first game. Hard work at that age.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 18:43 - Jan 9 with 1018 viewsglasso

Age when you first took your kids to the footy on 14:49 - Jan 9 by yesjohn99

Take them asap. It’s so important to try and get them hooked as the school playground these days is all premier league.

Took my daughter when she was 6, and recently took my 5 year son. It’ll break my heart for them to ask for a Man City/liverpool kit etc, even though it won’t be entertained in my house!

Yeah I guess it's a kind of selfish thing as well - something I enjoy that I can do with her - but I wanna see if she's into it early because being a girl, I think they get overlooked. My wife's whole family are Villa season ticket holders and all the boys went when they were young. They just assumed she wouldn't want to and she was never included. Now the 'kids' are all in their 30s and have moved as far away as Devon, but all the men in the family get together at home matches and are still season ticket holders.

It's cool if she hates it. No biggie. But I wanna say I at least tried rather than just shipping her off to ballet cos she's a girl!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024