Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Travelling back from Gillingham 12:03 - Jan 9 with 2527 viewslongtimefan

Anyone else get caught at the Dartford Tunnel. When I first joined the queue the radio was saying 30 min delay. Ended up being around 2 hours. Wish I’d gone straight on along the A2 and onto the Blackwall Tunnel. Anyone go that way and have a better journey home?
Travelling back from Gillingham on 12:23 - Jan 9 with 2445 viewsbackwaywhen

Same journey as you along M25 , only difference was a shorter delay of around 30 minutes, and reason being we didn’t leave Gillingham car park until 6.30 ……. Only went and locked my key in my car after putting our coats in the back , waiting for the AA in the rain with no coats …. Doh !
Travelling back from Gillingham on 12:24 - Jan 9 with 2427 viewsThe_Snake

Yeah, was slow heading to Blackwall tunnel but still back in Ipswich by 19:30
[Post edited 9 Jan 2022 12:27]
Travelling back from Gillingham on 12:34 - Jan 9 with 2384 viewslongtimefan

Travelling back from Gillingham on 12:24 - Jan 9 by The_Snake

Yeah, was slow heading to Blackwall tunnel but still back in Ipswich by 19:30
[Post edited 9 Jan 2022 12:27]

We left Gillingham about 17:15 and were expecting to be home around 19:00. Unfortunately it was about 20:55 before we actually made it.
Travelling back from Gillingham on 12:40 - Jan 9 with 2358 viewslongtimefan

Travelling back from Gillingham on 12:23 - Jan 9 by backwaywhen

Same journey as you along M25 , only difference was a shorter delay of around 30 minutes, and reason being we didn’t leave Gillingham car park until 6.30 ……. Only went and locked my key in my car after putting our coats in the back , waiting for the AA in the rain with no coats …. Doh !

Oh dear, that sounds worse than the traffic delays. I must admit I’m always very wary of using the boot only open button on my key fob for exactly that reason.
Travelling back from Gillingham on 12:54 - Jan 9 with 2311 views3_5_2

We did. Took 2 and a half hours longer than normal.

Wasn’t helped by some dick head whose car had broken down in the outside lane and was just stood there when it could have been pushed to the side to keep 2 lanes open. I offered to help but he said the breakdown was on its way. How was that going to work? By helicopter ?

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Travelling back from Gillingham on 12:58 - Jan 9 with 2289 viewslongtimefan

Travelling back from Gillingham on 12:54 - Jan 9 by 3_5_2

We did. Took 2 and a half hours longer than normal.

Wasn’t helped by some dick head whose car had broken down in the outside lane and was just stood there when it could have been pushed to the side to keep 2 lanes open. I offered to help but he said the breakdown was on its way. How was that going to work? By helicopter ?

Yep we passed him. My son said exactly the same about moving the car!
Travelling back from Gillingham on 13:05 - Jan 9 with 2265 viewssurreyblue

For those that went through Blackwall, it's worthwhile double checking whether your vehicle and route are caught by the ULEZ charges. MIL got caught out just before Christmas and got the gift of a nasty fine!
Travelling back from Gillingham on 13:06 - Jan 9 with 2260 viewsandytown

Travelling back from Gillingham on 12:58 - Jan 9 by longtimefan

Yep we passed him. My son said exactly the same about moving the car!

Same here. Over 2 hours queuing. Media and Highways England said tunnel repair work from 10pm to 5am. So they close it 4 hours before that. Brilliant.
Login to get fewer ads

Travelling back from Gillingham on 13:48 - Jan 9 with 2155 viewsMeadowlark

I diverted through Blackwall and was home in Lowestoft (in the pub anyway) by 9.30 I had to pay the congestion charge but I think my hybrid makes me exempt from the ULEZ charge.
Travelling back from Gillingham on 14:06 - Jan 9 with 2102 viewslongtimefan

Travelling back from Gillingham on 13:48 - Jan 9 by Meadowlark

I diverted through Blackwall and was home in Lowestoft (in the pub anyway) by 9.30 I had to pay the congestion charge but I think my hybrid makes me exempt from the ULEZ charge.

Surely going through Blackwall Tunnel takes you into the ULEZ zone but nowhere near the CC zone?
https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/congestion-charge/congestion-charge-zone?intcmp
Travelling back from Gillingham on 14:10 - Jan 9 with 2092 viewsMeadowlark

Travelling back from Gillingham on 14:06 - Jan 9 by longtimefan

Surely going through Blackwall Tunnel takes you into the ULEZ zone but nowhere near the CC zone?
https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/congestion-charge/congestion-charge-zone?intcmp

You might be right. I'll check.
Thanks for the feedback. I just assumed that the CC was applicable.
I'll buy you a pint if I get my money back!

EDIT. Seems you are correct, but I dont think I can get my money back!! That's a lesson learnt! I think I wrongly assumed that ULEZ was within CC area, but it's the other way round. Thats what happens when a Suffolk boy goes to the big city!!
[Post edited 9 Jan 2022 14:20]
Travelling back from Gillingham on 14:30 - Jan 9 with 2034 viewsColin_Viljoen

Travelling back from Gillingham on 14:10 - Jan 9 by Meadowlark

You might be right. I'll check.
Thanks for the feedback. I just assumed that the CC was applicable.
I'll buy you a pint if I get my money back!

EDIT. Seems you are correct, but I dont think I can get my money back!! That's a lesson learnt! I think I wrongly assumed that ULEZ was within CC area, but it's the other way round. Thats what happens when a Suffolk boy goes to the big city!!
[Post edited 9 Jan 2022 14:20]

Sadiq Khan sends his thanks for your contribution
Travelling back from Gillingham on 15:02 - Jan 9 with 1970 viewsPhilTWTD

Queue was horrendous down the A2 on to the M25 when I got there, probably just after seven after the press stuff, so I took the exit to the M25 south and doubled back at the first exit. Was slow but steady once I got towards the tunnel with the big issue appearing the queueing from the A2 and the two left lanes where cars were filtering on.
Travelling back from Gillingham on 15:10 - Jan 9 with 1924 viewsThe_Snake

Travelling back from Gillingham on 12:34 - Jan 9 by longtimefan

We left Gillingham about 17:15 and were expecting to be home around 19:00. Unfortunately it was about 20:55 before we actually made it.

I reckon we saved ourselves an hour by going Blackwall, although it didn’t feel that way whilst queuing. To be fair, after the town performance we weren’t too fussed! Had it been a grim defeat coupled with a soaking it would have been grim.
Travelling back from Gillingham on 16:19 - Jan 9 with 1809 viewsPilgrimblue

Travelling back from Gillingham on 15:10 - Jan 9 by The_Snake

I reckon we saved ourselves an hour by going Blackwall, although it didn’t feel that way whilst queuing. To be fair, after the town performance we weren’t too fussed! Had it been a grim defeat coupled with a soaking it would have been grim.

My SatNaav automatically switched us to Blackwall so very pleased we avoided the mess at M25.
Only trouble was that we rejoined M25 at j 39 and was then flashed near j29 even though I was under limit!!
Travelling back from Gillingham on 16:43 - Jan 9 with 1742 viewsunstableblue

Yes it was grim; think we got there a bit earlier - so not quite the delay you had….

Didn’t take the shine off a great afternoon; and listening to McKenna on the radio, and the vocab he used to describe what he’s trying to do was great.

Loved the line “the first 11 are representing the 20+ that trained through the week” love it

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Travelling back from Gillingham on 16:56 - Jan 9 with 1699 viewsPinewoodblue

Travelling back from Gillingham on 16:19 - Jan 9 by Pilgrimblue

My SatNaav automatically switched us to Blackwall so very pleased we avoided the mess at M25.
Only trouble was that we rejoined M25 at j 39 and was then flashed near j29 even though I was under limit!!

Is that stretch of M25 now variable speed?

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Travelling back from Gillingham on 17:28 - Jan 9 with 1611 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Our sat nav took us into bluewater shopping centre area then into an industrial site and then onto the road beside the slip road to the tunnel!
I think 1hr 55mins luckily

1hr 20 going !
Travelling back from Gillingham on 17:42 - Jan 9 with 1578 viewshoppy

I'd been down near Gatwick with my son, and encountered it on our way back from there to take him back to Enfield - we left Gatwick about 15:50 for what should've been a 1hr 15 mins journey, and it took 3 hours as I dropped him off at 18:55. On my way back to Ipswich after that I passed the team coach and a Galloways one on the A12, which I assumed had also been caught by it all on the way back from Gillingham. I got home at 21:00.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Travelling back from Gillingham on 18:02 - Jan 9 with 1516 viewshatch

Pleased I wasn’t on the roads by the sounds of it.

The Ipswich team coach is supplied by The King’s Ferry who are based a stones throw from Priestfield so that was a lot of back and forth for that coach driver.
Travelling back from Gillingham on 22:33 - Jan 9 with 1275 viewsAlberto_the_frog

I took a contract in Gillingham once thinking it's less than 100 miles, I'll commute it. Dartford crossing a nightmare especially on Fridays. Refused an extension.
Travelling back from Gillingham on 08:07 - Jan 10 with 1076 viewsitfcjoe

Travelling back from Gillingham on 17:28 - Jan 9 by BtreeBlueBlood

Our sat nav took us into bluewater shopping centre area then into an industrial site and then onto the road beside the slip road to the tunnel!
I think 1hr 55mins luckily

1hr 20 going !

Ditto for me - was back in Ipswich about 7:45 and didn't rush out of the ground so prob didn't leave until gone 5:30

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024