Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Aluko, Chaplin or Celina? 14:02 - Jan 9 with 1123 viewsPattiswickBlue

Having these three as options for the number 10 position is frankly ridiculous for a League One club. However, who is the best option? As good as Aluko has been, his goal and assist output is lower than both Chaplin’s and Celina’s. But, it seems the team performs better when Aluko starts!

*All stats based on League One games and according to whoscored.com

Points per game when they have started (League Games):
Aluko — 10 starts — 1.7 PPG
Chaplin — 10 starts — 1.5 PPG
Celina — 9 starts — 1.55 PPG

Goals:
Aluko — 3 (in 16)
Chaplin — 5 (in 18)
Celina — 4 (in 13)

Assists:
Aluko — 0 (in 16)
Chaplin — 2 (in 18)
Celina — 3 (in 13)

Key passes per game:
Aluko — 0.5 PG
Chaplin — 0.6 PG
Celina — 1.5 PG

They all offer different things! Celina offers outrageous flair and skill, with real creativity at times. Chaplin is a goalscorer & a championship level footballer. Whilst Aluko works so hard for the team and glides past players with ease, he can look class at times.

For the foreseeable future you have to stick with Aluko due to his excellent last few performances. However, there is a part of me that would love to see Celina start in the number 10 role. Reading McKenna’s comments about Celina (“He’s someone we are really looking forward to working with” “He is a big talent” “I’m fully aware of what he can do and what he can bring to the team”), it is hard not to imagine how good he could look in this team under McKenna. The stats suggest he is the best all-round number 10 we have and I can’t wait to see him unleashed again!
Aluko, Chaplin or Celina? on 14:08 - Jan 9 with 1084 viewsNthsuffolkblue

So, as you say, Aluko's game is about retaining possession, drawing players and keeping the play moving at pace. He is a very different player to the other two and much better on present showing. Both the others have their roles to play still.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Aluko, Chaplin or Celina? on 14:12 - Jan 9 with 1062 viewsPattiswickBlue

Aluko, Chaplin or Celina? on 14:08 - Jan 9 by Nthsuffolkblue

So, as you say, Aluko's game is about retaining possession, drawing players and keeping the play moving at pace. He is a very different player to the other two and much better on present showing. Both the others have their roles to play still.

They are all very good players at this level. I think most fans would have wrote Aluko off when he signed, but he has been very good and proved lots of us wrong. Having said that, I just find Celina so exciting to watch, he has real quality and could thrive under a manager like McKenna.
Aluko, Chaplin or Celina? on 14:40 - Jan 9 with 944 viewsclive_baker

Aluko has been superb in these 2 games under KM. I don’t think it’s up for debate particularly, the shirt has to be his at the moment, but definitely good to have those 2 waiting in the wings / off the bench.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Aluko, Chaplin or Celina? on 14:46 - Jan 9 with 922 viewsPattiswickBlue

Aluko, Chaplin or Celina? on 14:40 - Jan 9 by clive_baker

Aluko has been superb in these 2 games under KM. I don’t think it’s up for debate particularly, the shirt has to be his at the moment, but definitely good to have those 2 waiting in the wings / off the bench.

Yeah I agree, at the moment it’s Aluko’s shirt. Just can’t wait to see what Celina will be like in this system.
Aluko, Chaplin or Celina? on 14:47 - Jan 9 with 911 viewsTheBoyBlue

Any of them, as and when KM thinks it appropriate.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Aluko, Chaplin or Celina? on 14:48 - Jan 9 with 912 viewsBlueandTruesince82

I think Aluko pulls players out of position, keeps the ball well then uses it well so whilst he may not often deliver the final ball, he does often deliver the ball that breaks a line and creates opportunity, lots of good play goes through him.

Of course if your mushroom out this tactical fluidity you could have situations where all 3 could be on the pitch and interchangeable between wide left, right and as a no 10 though not of course with the current formation

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Aluko, Chaplin or Celina? on 14:57 - Jan 9 with 887 viewstractordownsouth

Assuming Jackson goes, I wouldn't be surprised if Chaplin is seen as one of the players competing for the front 2 positions alongisde Bonne, Norwood and Pigott. That would then leave Celina and Aluko as options for the number 10 role.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Aluko, Chaplin or Celina? on 16:32 - Jan 9 with 729 viewsHighgateBlue

I agree with this. Stick with Aluko as he's been class of late, and consistency is a big thing when trying to build momentum.

It'd be interesting to see Fraser's stats against those. I don't suppose they'd be great. Those three competing for one place is mad at L1 level, so I think Fraser's days may very well be numbered. I wouldn't have predicted that back in August!
Login to get fewer ads

Aluko, Chaplin or Celina? on 16:34 - Jan 9 with 721 viewsFightingEssex

Aluko, Chaplin or Celina? on 14:08 - Jan 9 by Nthsuffolkblue

I’d pick Aluko all day long. I wasn’t too excited by his signing but he’s been a class act. He’s one of the best players we’ve had in the League One era.

Poll: Next Ipswich Town manager?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024