Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is it acceptable to enjoy what McKenna brings 10:38 - Jan 10 with 2496 views_sanctimoanious_

without belittling Paul Cook? Asking for a friend.
Is it acceptable to enjoy what McKenna brings on 10:42 - Jan 10 with 2074 viewsNthQldITFC

Acceptable, and generally good for the soul of everybody concerned, I would have thought.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Is it acceptable to enjoy what McKenna brings on 10:45 - Jan 10 with 2062 views_sanctimoanious_

Is it acceptable to enjoy what McKenna brings on 10:42 - Jan 10 by NthQldITFC

Acceptable, and generally good for the soul of everybody concerned, I would have thought.

Excellent. Bloody loved Cookie but appreciate KM looks different gravy early days. Onwards and upwards.
Is it acceptable to enjoy what McKenna brings on 10:47 - Jan 10 with 2045 viewsMattinLondon

What do you mean by belittling. Is it belittling Cook by stating that he failed whilst here? I don’t think that it is and in this context you can enjoy what McKenna brings without being personal abuse into the mix [towards Cook].
Is it acceptable to enjoy what McKenna brings on 10:51 - Jan 10 with 2036 viewsGuthrum

Yes, of course.

However, comparisons between a new manager and his predecessor are inevitable, especially if there is an up-turn (or down-turn) in form.

Much of the post-mortem on Cook has been more frustrated than having an unwarranted dig. Generally speaking, people think he is a good bloke, has a decent eye for recruitment and has an undeniable pedigree. They are just puzzled as to how he managed to get things wrong at Town, whether it be down to missing his usual Assistant, stubborn adherence to one formation or whatever.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Is it acceptable to enjoy what McKenna brings on 10:55 - Jan 10 with 1995 viewsWacko

Is it acceptable to enjoy what McKenna brings on 10:51 - Jan 10 by Guthrum

Yes, of course.

However, comparisons between a new manager and his predecessor are inevitable, especially if there is an up-turn (or down-turn) in form.

Much of the post-mortem on Cook has been more frustrated than having an unwarranted dig. Generally speaking, people think he is a good bloke, has a decent eye for recruitment and has an undeniable pedigree. They are just puzzled as to how he managed to get things wrong at Town, whether it be down to missing his usual Assistant, stubborn adherence to one formation or whatever.

Most people weren't puzzled. It was quite obvious how he was failing. McKenna has come in and done what many of us have been crying out for for a while

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Is it acceptable to enjoy what McKenna brings on 11:03 - Jan 10 with 1941 viewshomer_123

Is it acceptable to enjoy what McKenna brings on 10:51 - Jan 10 by Guthrum

Yes, of course.

I've found it interesting that quite a few were disparaging of this group of players (we needed another clearout etc.) and also felt that they signed for Cook and quite possibly wouldn't be happy with change and might not perform for a new manager.

Early doors at the moment but it's night and day in the two performances we've seen with the same group of players.

I liked Cook, he 'should' have been a good fit for us but it didn't work, sadly.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Is it acceptable to enjoy what McKenna brings on 11:09 - Jan 10 with 1881 viewsHerbivore

You can do what you like, petal.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Is it acceptable to enjoy what McKenna brings on 11:20 - Jan 10 with 1818 views_sanctimoanious_

Is it acceptable to enjoy what McKenna brings on 11:09 - Jan 10 by Herbivore

You can do what you like, petal.

appreciate that thanks. How did you know my name was Petal?
Login to get fewer ads

Is it acceptable to enjoy what McKenna brings on 11:23 - Jan 10 with 1807 viewsGuthrum

Is it acceptable to enjoy what McKenna brings on 10:55 - Jan 10 by Wacko

Most people weren't puzzled. It was quite obvious how he was failing. McKenna has come in and done what many of us have been crying out for for a while

Not puzzled as to why, but how. How he, as an experienced and previously successful Manager, couldn't see what needed to be done to get things working, beyond just persisting and waiting for it to "click".

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Is it acceptable to enjoy what McKenna brings on 11:27 - Jan 10 with 1782 viewsITFC_RDM

I really like Paul Cook. I was delighted when we appointed him & wanted nothing more than it to work out for him here.

I'm afraid though, there's no getting away from the fact he did a pretty terrible job of things over a 10 month period.
Is it acceptable to enjoy what McKenna brings on 11:27 - Jan 10 with 1783 viewsMattinLondon

Is it acceptable to enjoy what McKenna brings on 11:23 - Jan 10 by Guthrum

Not puzzled as to why, but how. How he, as an experienced and previously successful Manager, couldn't see what needed to be done to get things working, beyond just persisting and waiting for it to "click".

As simple as this will sound maybe stubbornness was the major factor. It worked for him previously so it’ll work here. It never did.

In the same way why Mick isn’t seen as a PL manager - even he really should be. A stubbornness to embrace new ideas or to see things differently.
Is it acceptable to enjoy what McKenna brings on 11:40 - Jan 10 with 1711 viewskpblues

I agree with the initial post.
Do the anti Cook posters not remember how mind numbingly dull it was before he arrived?
He brought an excitement to Portman Road that we had not had for a decade or more.
Previously every match was tons of possession in our half. One/two shots on target if you were lucky the whole game?!! Never tonking the opposition.

Cook recruited players that attacked and it were exciting to watch.
0-0 and 1-0s were a thing of the past with the odd 4-0 chucked in.

What he lacked was Richardson to bounce off and a willingness to change formation when required. Defence was also an issue. The injuries to Burns and Coulson and the Norwood situation didn't help. Burns in particular makes such a difference.

So he did bring something so there is no need to belittle him in order to praise McKenna

McKenna brings something else though and so far I like his approach a lot.
Better pressing, two up front, Norwood back, settled defence, in depth post match interviews, assistant to bounce off etc

Things are looking up at last.

Come on you blues!

Poll: Do you want Ipswich to be a city?

Is it acceptable to enjoy what McKenna brings on 11:47 - Jan 10 with 1671 viewsHerbivore

Is it acceptable to enjoy what McKenna brings on 11:40 - Jan 10 by kpblues

Do the anti Cook posters not remember how mind numbingly dull it was before he arrived?
He brought an excitement to Portman Road that we had not had for a decade or more.
Previously every match was tons of possession in our half. One/two shots on target if you were lucky the whole game?!! Never tonking the opposition.

What he lacked was Richardson to bounce off and a willingness to change formation when required. Defence was also an issue. The injuries to Burns and Coulson and the Norwood situation didn't help. Burns in particular makes such a difference.

So he did bring something so there is no need to belittle him in order to praise McKenna

Better pressing, two up front, Norwood back, settled defence, in depth post match interviews, assistant to bounce off etc

Come on you blues!

Some serious revisionism right here. Cook did a really poor job here, thankfully he's now gone and so far McKenna is looking like a very capable replacement. Long may it continue.

Is it acceptable to enjoy what McKenna brings on 12:01 - Jan 10 with 1603 viewsGunnsAirkick

On the other side of that, I don't understand why Cook is immune to criticism by some? He threw some perfectly good players under the bus when he arrived and had one of the worst win % of any Ipswich manager. I don't think he's a bad guy, but he made his own bed. I think there are some rose tinted glasses regarding the football being a lot better too, some of the end of last season and the end of his tenure here was worse than Lambert.
[Post edited 10 Jan 2022 12:01]
Is it acceptable to enjoy what McKenna brings on 12:05 - Jan 10 with 1563 viewsOldFart71

Sadly I think it's an age thing. Some were calling for old hasbeens to be installed as the new manager until at least the end of the season. Before someone says what I am saying is ageism I am 71 so I feel I can call older managers hasbeens. You do lose that added energy and need to prove yourself when you get a certain age. McKenna is relatively young. Doesn't come with the baggage of having failed or believe they have been successful and so it follows they will be successful again regardless. Even some of the players are expressing their liking of training and obviously the tactics are working. There will probably be setbacks but I do believe we have the guy to take us forward.
Is it acceptable to enjoy what McKenna brings on 12:15 - Jan 10 with 1500 viewsKeaneish

Is it acceptable to enjoy what McKenna brings on 10:55 - Jan 10 by Wacko

The new debate emerging is that the foundations they’ve had to start from. I think it’d be naive to think that a lot of good work hadn’t been done by Cook, McGreal and Dyer prior to McKenna’s arrival. McKenna has taken it to another level but look at the difference in structure at this club from a year ago!

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Is it acceptable to enjoy what McKenna brings on 12:18 - Jan 10 with 1454 viewsRyorry

Is it acceptable to enjoy what McKenna brings on 12:05 - Jan 10 by OldFart71

Sadly I think it's an age thing. Some were calling for old hasbeens to be installed as the new manager until at least the end of the season. Before someone says what I am saying is ageism I am 71 so I feel I can call older managers hasbeens. You do lose that added energy and need to prove yourself when you get a certain age. McKenna is relatively young. Doesn't come with the baggage of having failed or believe they have been successful and so it follows they will be successful again regardless. Even some of the players are expressing their liking of training and obviously the tactics are working. There will probably be setbacks but I do believe we have the guy to take us forward.

Well I'm an even older fossil than you & disagree with the age thing there I'm afraid!

Being 70+ doesn't necessarily mean you've lost any fiery competitiveness or desire to learn, as my over 65s walking football group coach/referee, who has to blow his whistle every 30 secs for excessive aggro, running etc will attest to (& I've had plenty of elbows in side, shirt pulling etc!). Not to mention OU courses with plenty of life-long learning pensioners on them.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Is it acceptable to enjoy what McKenna brings on 12:18 - Jan 10 with 1444 viewsJDB23

Is it acceptable to enjoy what McKenna brings on 11:40 - Jan 10 by kpblues

Come on you blues!

Don’t think it was Cook who changed the excitement levels of ITFC, more the takeover and new
ownership group.

It was mind numbingly dull when we strung a run of 4/5 games together with about 2 shots on target between them under Cook last season. Yes Cook brought in some good exciting players in the summer, but with our budget I expect most managers would have done so. I doubt there would have been much excitement around the club this season had we still been under ME’s ownership with Cook in charge for example. 99% of fans liked Cook and wanted him to do well, he just made an absolute mess of it.
Is it acceptable to enjoy what McKenna brings on 12:23 - Jan 10 with 1394 viewsOsborneOneNil

Is it acceptable to enjoy what McKenna brings on 12:15 - Jan 10 by Keaneish

The new debate emerging is that the foundations they’ve had to start from. I think it’d be naive to think that a lot of good work hadn’t been done by Cook, McGreal and Dyer prior to McKenna’s arrival. McKenna has taken it to another level but look at the difference in structure at this club from a year ago!

That’s right. For his ultimate failing in terms of league wins, he brought excitement, a freshness, and a lot of excellent footballers to Ipswich.

Without that recruitment you’d have McKenna trying to polish a turd. Now he is fine tuning a wonderful machine.
Is it acceptable to enjoy what McKenna brings on 12:26 - Jan 10 with 1377 viewsHerbivore

Is it acceptable to enjoy what McKenna brings on 12:23 - Jan 10 by OsborneOneNil

That’s right. For his ultimate failing in terms of league wins, he brought excitement, a freshness, and a lot of excellent footballers to Ipswich.

Without that recruitment you’d have McKenna trying to polish a turd. Now he is fine tuning a wonderful machine.

Hmmm. A few weeks ago the Cook fans were distancing him from signing these players and pinning the squad on Ashton whilst suggesting we needed a rebuild. Now it transpires that all the players needed was competent coaching and suddenly Cook gets some reflected glory. All very odd. He was hopeless here, let's be honest, surprisingly so given his record elsewhere. Thankfully K-Mac looks to be cut from a different cloth.

Is it acceptable to enjoy what McKenna brings on 12:33 - Jan 10 with 1331 viewsOsborneOneNil

Is it acceptable to enjoy what McKenna brings on 12:26 - Jan 10 by Herbivore

Hmmm. A few weeks ago the Cook fans were distancing him from signing these players and pinning the squad on Ashton whilst suggesting we needed a rebuild. Now it transpires that all the players needed was competent coaching and suddenly Cook gets some reflected glory. All very odd. He was hopeless here, let's be honest, surprisingly so given his record elsewhere. Thankfully K-Mac looks to be cut from a different cloth.

Yes, I've seen the who signed the players debate. As I see it, the players came when Cook was boss, some solely because of him being here (allegedly), so that's one positive for him.

On the rest of it, agreed, massive disappointment. Was gutted he failed, but damn excited with how McKenna has started, who wouldn't be, .
Is it acceptable to enjoy what McKenna brings on 12:33 - Jan 10 with 1332 viewsitfcserbia

Just read what Tom the Writer had in Wigan preview about their fans on Cook. Judging past success based purely on stats and win % is not a complete picture on anyone. After that if interested you can google a bit on Portsmouth forums about Cook as well.
Most of people here calling for Cook to go did that based on performances and clear painfully obvious stagnation of the team, not purely on results and stats (even though that alone would have been sufficient).

Semper fidelis!
Poll: Would you sack Paul Cook?

Is it acceptable to enjoy what McKenna brings on 12:35 - Jan 10 with 1317 viewsHerbivore

Is it acceptable to enjoy what McKenna brings on 12:33 - Jan 10 by OsborneOneNil

Yes, I've seen the who signed the players debate. As I see it, the players came when Cook was boss, some solely because of him being here (allegedly), so that's one positive for him.

On the rest of it, agreed, massive disappointment. Was gutted he failed, but damn excited with how McKenna has started, who wouldn't be, .

Saturday was lovely wasn't it? I don't want to go too overboard as it's early days, it's the third tier, and Gillingham were rubbish, but I don't think we've seen passing and movement of that quality since the Burley days.

Is it acceptable to enjoy what McKenna brings on 12:36 - Jan 10 with 1303 viewsitfcserbia

Is it acceptable to enjoy what McKenna brings on 12:23 - Jan 10 by OsborneOneNil

Polish a turd might be a bit strong don't you think? If McKenna arrived instead of Cook last season I dare saying we might have had a better chance of playoffs. In other words, McKenna would have probably gotten a lot more from the previous set of players as well.

Semper fidelis!

Is it acceptable to enjoy what McKenna brings on 12:38 - Jan 10 with 1277 viewsitfcserbia

Is it acceptable to enjoy what McKenna brings on 12:35 - Jan 10 by Herbivore

Saturday was lovely wasn't it? I don't want to go too overboard as it's early days, it's the third tier, and Gillingham were rubbish, but I don't think we've seen passing and movement of that quality since the Burley days.

If you compare (if that's allowed in this thread) that football to 4:0 away at Portsmouth or even 6:0 at home against Doncaster, this performance was way way better.
[Post edited 10 Jan 2022 12:39]

Semper fidelis!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024