Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Villa goal ruled out for the block on Cavani 21:12 - Jan 10 with 2948 viewsGarv

A block that you see several times a game at corners and free kicks, which are regularly praised for being clever defending.

Really odd.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Villa goal ruled out for the block on Cavani on 21:15 - Jan 10 with 2619 viewsgordon

Agree, not sure why Ramsey can't stand his ground there.
Villa goal ruled out for the block on Cavani on 21:17 - Jan 10 with 2596 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Even more so that there was no way Cavani was going to be getting back to stop the goal anyway.

Villa have battered United without quite scoring.

Will be really nice if Villa get 2 in the final minutes/injury time to win 1-2.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Villa goal ruled out for the block on Cavani on 21:24 - Jan 10 with 2552 viewsgordon

Villa goal ruled out for the block on Cavani on 21:17 - Jan 10 by Nthsuffolkblue

Even more so that there was no way Cavani was going to be getting back to stop the goal anyway.

Villa have battered United without quite scoring.

Will be really nice if Villa get 2 in the final minutes/injury time to win 1-2.

Yup, and if it takes five minutes of reviewing footage trying to find something to rule out a goal, it's difficult to see how you can call it a clear and obvious error.
Villa goal ruled out for the block on Cavani on 21:42 - Jan 10 with 2510 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Should be a 30 second time limit on VAR.

If they haven't made a decision in that time then the goal stands.

That check was ludicrous.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Villa goal ruled out for the block on Cavani on 21:44 - Jan 10 with 2496 viewsgordon

Villa goal ruled out for the block on Cavani on 21:42 - Jan 10 by Marshalls_Mullet

Now Luke Shaw has just smacked Konsa in the face in the penalty box and it's not worth checking?
Villa goal ruled out for the block on Cavani on 21:44 - Jan 10 with 2495 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Villa goal ruled out for the block on Cavani on 21:24 - Jan 10 by gordon

Yup, and if it takes five minutes of reviewing footage trying to find something to rule out a goal, it's difficult to see how you can call it a clear and obvious error.

It's Manure.
Enough said.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Villa goal ruled out for the block on Cavani on 21:44 - Jan 10 with 2495 viewsIllinoisblue

VAR will get the headlines but let’s take a second to wonder how professional footballers can kick a corner kick straight into touch. Boils my piss.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Villa goal ruled out for the block on Cavani on 21:45 - Jan 10 with 2486 viewspointofblue

Villa goal ruled out for the block on Cavani on 21:44 - Jan 10 by gordon

Now Luke Shaw has just smacked Konsa in the face in the penalty box and it's not worth checking?

I think we'd deem that weak if it was given against us, to be fair. But the Ramsey-Cavani situation was ridiculous.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Login to get fewer ads

Villa goal ruled out for the block on Cavani on 21:46 - Jan 10 with 2468 viewschrismakin

Villa goal ruled out for the block on Cavani on 21:44 - Jan 10 by gordon

Interesting that.

Looks for the player. Slaps him.... nothing.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Villa goal ruled out for the block on Cavani on 21:53 - Jan 10 with 2434 viewsZXBlue

Wasnt even a block. He didnt move towards him or into his path. Just stood there.

If that is a foul, then we are playing basketball not football. VAR appalling again.
Villa goal ruled out for the block on Cavani on 21:57 - Jan 10 with 2352 viewsjaykay

best part the ref stood 2 metres away from cavani and didn't blow at the time for the supposed block. which he must have seen the incident.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Villa goal ruled out for the block on Cavani on 22:10 - Jan 10 with 2299 viewsRamRob

Villa goal ruled out for the block on Cavani on 21:53 - Jan 10 by ZXBlue

Wasnt even a block. He didnt move towards him or into his path. Just stood there.

If that is a foul, then we are playing basketball not football. VAR appalling again.

Sorry I disagree.

I don't see how VAR can do it any differently.
Firstly they have to check matters of fact i.e. offsides/handballs. There were 3 possible points players could've been offside, the ball being very close to Watkins boot and Ings arm. This took the longest.
Only then could they check for anything subjective i.e. fouls
VAR can't make that decision without asking ref if he has seen the incident, I assume he didn't, so he took the opportunity to view the monitor.
You can disagree with the Refs decision, but I don't think the VAR did anything wrong.
The player that "blocked" Cavani was offside when the ball was played in, so if he stopped him having the chance to defend the ball you can argue he was affecting play.

It took so long because there was so much to check. VAR got it right, Refs decision is debatable.

Poll: What should be the music when opposition score?

Villa goal ruled out for the block on Cavani on 22:19 - Jan 10 with 2264 viewsSmithy

United seriously look like they are missing a decent coach

37 years and counting!
Poll: We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most?

Villa goal ruled out for the block on Cavani on 22:22 - Jan 10 with 2228 viewsiamipswich

It's because he was offside and impeded Cavani. Took far too long to get there after they were looking at the wrong thing, but it was the right decision.

Poll: Who will return first?

Villa goal ruled out for the block on Cavani on 22:27 - Jan 10 with 2208 viewsRamRob

Villa goal ruled out for the block on Cavani on 22:22 - Jan 10 by iamipswich

It's because he was offside and impeded Cavani. Took far too long to get there after they were looking at the wrong thing, but it was the right decision.

May be they should check phases of play, rather than from when the goal is scored backwards. Check for any offsides or possible fouls when the ball is first played in, before checking the next phase.

I guess the VAR initially thought it was offside so checked that first

Villa goal ruled out for the block on Cavani on 22:30 - Jan 10 with 2187 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Villa goal ruled out for the block on Cavani on 22:22 - Jan 10 by iamipswich

Doesn't Cavani choose to run straight into him when he has no chance of getting anywhere near the ball?

I can see what the letter of the decision was, but I think it was soft.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Villa goal ruled out for the block on Cavani on 22:54 - Jan 10 with 2130 viewsZXBlue

Villa goal ruled out for the block on Cavani on 22:30 - Jan 10 by Nthsuffolkblue

Doesn't Cavani choose to run straight into him when he has no chance of getting anywhere near the ball?

Precisely- runs straight into him for no reason.
Villa goal ruled out for the block on Cavani on 23:00 - Jan 10 with 2118 viewsChurchman

Villa goal ruled out for the block on Cavani on 21:42 - Jan 10 by Marshalls_Mullet

Absolutely agree. That was awful. Max 30 seconds (or less). They’ve got to refine and speed up VAR.

That was a goal in my view and would have been given if it’d been the other way. I think Man U players haranguing the ref really helped.
Villa goal ruled out for the block on Cavani on 23:07 - Jan 10 with 2103 viewsRamRob

Villa goal ruled out for the block on Cavani on 23:00 - Jan 10 by Churchman

Absolutely agree. That was awful. Max 30 seconds (or less). They’ve got to refine and speed up VAR.

That was a goal in my view and would have been given if it’d been the other way. I think Man U players haranguing the ref really helped.

Well it would have to be 30 seconds per incident, be pretty unfair if the 3rd issue would overturn a goal and the VAR wasn't able to get to it in time.

30 seconds to check offsides, 30 seconds to check fouls

Villa goal ruled out for the block on Cavani on 23:25 - Jan 10 with 2070 viewsberkstractorboy

Hull should now sue the FA as if they had VAR good chance they get at least 1 penalty decision from VAR. You use VAR in all games of a round or none it's that simple.
Villa goal ruled out for the block on Cavani on 23:28 - Jan 10 with 2059 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Villa goal ruled out for the block on Cavani on 23:07 - Jan 10 by RamRob

Well it would have to be 30 seconds per incident, be pretty unfair if the 3rd issue would overturn a goal and the VAR wasn't able to get to it in time.

30 seconds to check offsides, 30 seconds to check fouls

30 seconds for the lot.

Plenty of time.

If it can't be seen in 30 seconds then it wasn't clear and obvious.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Villa goal ruled out for the block on Cavani on 01:46 - Jan 11 with 1937 viewsIllinoisblue

Villa goal ruled out for the block on Cavani on 22:30 - Jan 10 by Nthsuffolkblue

Norwood levels of s5ithousing from Cavani. But with better hair, obviously.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Villa goal ruled out for the block on Cavani on 06:54 - Jan 11 with 1829 viewsgordon

Villa goal ruled out for the block on Cavani on 21:45 - Jan 10 by pointofblue

I think we'd deem that weak if it was given against us, to be fair. But the Ramsey-Cavani situation was ridiculous.

If you smack a player in the face hard enough to draw quite a lot of blood when that player is running past you, that's a foul.
Villa goal ruled out for the block on Cavani on 09:22 - Jan 11 with 1652 viewsrickw

Villa goal ruled out for the block on Cavani on 22:10 - Jan 10 by RamRob

Sorry I disagree.

I don't see how VAR can do it any differently.
Firstly they have to check matters of fact i.e. offsides/handballs. There were 3 possible points players could've been offside, the ball being very close to Watkins boot and Ings arm. This took the longest.
Only then could they check for anything subjective i.e. fouls
VAR can't make that decision without asking ref if he has seen the incident, I assume he didn't, so he took the opportunity to view the monitor.
You can disagree with the Refs decision, but I don't think the VAR did anything wrong.
The player that "blocked" Cavani was offside when the ball was played in, so if he stopped him having the chance to defend the ball you can argue he was affecting play.

It took so long because there was so much to check. VAR got it right, Refs decision is debatable.

I agree they got the right decision but disagree they couldn't do it differently.

The offside block on Cavani was the first incident of the action so looking at anything after that is completely pointless unless it's deemed as fair.
It could have been done in 30 seconds, Ramsey clearly started offside, then did he impede Cavani - yes....

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Villa goal ruled out for the block on Cavani on 09:25 - Jan 11 with 1649 viewsSwansea_Blue

Villa goal ruled out for the block on Cavani on 23:25 - Jan 10 by berkstractorboy

Hull should now sue the FA as if they had VAR good chance they get at least 1 penalty decision from VAR. You use VAR in all games of a round or none it's that simple.

There's nothing tHull could do unfortunately. It's not the first time non-PL clubs have missed out due to the lack of VAR (it happened to Swansea a few seasons ago in the quarter finals against City when they had 2 goals wrongly awarded). I totally agree it should be a level playing field though - it's a nonsense to have a different set of rules applying to PL grounds only.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024