Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nice story on Roman settlements found during HS2 works 07:46 - Jan 11 with 1327 viewsSteve_M

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-59943179

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Nice story on Roman settlements found during HS2 works on 08:31 - Jan 11 with 863 viewsUB9Blue

The rate at which they are destroying the countryside around me, I am surprised they had time to find anything!
Nice story on Roman settlements found during HS2 works on 11:05 - Jan 11 with 779 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Perhaps they can concrete over that in addition to the ancient woodland.
Nice story on Roman settlements found during HS2 works on 11:08 - Jan 11 with 774 viewsSteve_M

Nice story on Roman settlements found during HS2 works on 11:05 - Jan 11 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Perhaps they can concrete over that in addition to the ancient woodland.

Rather more ancient woodland is lost to road building than will be for HS2.

Nice story on Roman settlements found during HS2 works on 11:11 - Jan 11 with 768 viewsHARRY10

And around 2035 when it s hoped to be finished, passengers can travel 20 minutes quicker

One of the great white elephants of our time - already obsolete
Nice story on Roman settlements found during HS2 works on 11:14 - Jan 11 with 763 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Nice story on Roman settlements found during HS2 works on 11:08 - Jan 11 by Steve_M

Rather more ancient woodland is lost to road building than will be for HS2.

So we need to lose it to both?

Should have been invested in improving the existing infrastructure rather than losing more woodland. Seems only to exist to extend the London commuter belt, raise house prices and get people rich on the back over overinflated contracts.
Nice story on Roman settlements found during HS2 works on 11:25 - Jan 11 with 751 viewsChurchman

Nice story on Roman settlements found during HS2 works on 11:11 - Jan 11 by HARRY10

And around 2035 when it s hoped to be finished, passengers can travel 20 minutes quicker

One of the great white elephants of our time - already obsolete

Nah, infrastructure is everything. Complete HS2, build another east to west, build north to south crossrail in London, build a proper motorway from Felixstowe to the midlands and to London, double the size of the M25 and all major links. Add a new runway to Heathrow and build a proper airport at Stansted. It was the obvious choice decades ago, but the Tory landowners blocked it. All this is the best way of growing the economy. A few bits of old Roman rubble? We’ve got loads of that anyway.

If Swampy and the people are worried about green stuff, plough up Norfolk’s roads by way of compensation and rub Yarmouth off the map (I’m allowed to propose that as my mums family all come from there). Job done!

Only joking!

However, what have the Romans done for us?
Nice story on Roman settlements found during HS2 works on 11:35 - Jan 11 with 738 viewsHARRY10

Nice story on Roman settlements found during HS2 works on 11:14 - Jan 11 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Should have been invested in improving the existing infrastructure rather than losing more woodland. Seems only to exist to extend the London commuter belt, raise house prices and get people rich on the back over overinflated contracts.

Yes, the money if spent should have been targetted towards upgrading cross penine and other routes

this absurdity is way way over budget, and the cost will continue to increase

by it's completion date the country will have changed immensely - the idea of moving people physically to a place of work is changing, it is now about move data, ifo etc to people

lookung at the demise of the high street, the acceleration of video calls and working from home has already highlighted that change

what is it going to be in 15 years time ?

I can speak to a doctor via 'zoom', likewise why should I pay for a solicitor to have plush offices in the centre of town when I can zoom him/her anywhere in the UK (world) - and that applies to so many other others as well

how far has the smart phobe developed in the last 15 years - the rise of Uber, deliveroo and home deliveries for food and goods, how much else will evolve as technology develops, and here we are building the canal of the 21st century - utterly absurd
Nice story on Roman settlements found during HS2 works on 11:35 - Jan 11 with 739 viewsleitrimblue

Nice story on Roman settlements found during HS2 works on 11:25 - Jan 11 by Churchman

Nah, infrastructure is everything. Complete HS2, build another east to west, build north to south crossrail in London, build a proper motorway from Felixstowe to the midlands and to London, double the size of the M25 and all major links. Add a new runway to Heathrow and build a proper airport at Stansted. It was the obvious choice decades ago, but the Tory landowners blocked it. All this is the best way of growing the economy. A few bits of old Roman rubble? We’ve got loads of that anyway.

If Swampy and the people are worried about green stuff, plough up Norfolk’s roads by way of compensation and rub Yarmouth off the map (I’m allowed to propose that as my mums family all come from there). Job done!

Only joking!

However, what have the Romans done for us?

Feck all. Concrete,the arch, genocide and the destruction of a superior Celtic culture that's about it. Personally from a selfish personal lever. I love the Hs2 project. Every archaeologist in Ireland as bu4ggered off to the UK leaving anyone left here to clean up financially. God bless stupid pointless infrastructure projects
Login to get fewer ads

Nice story on Roman settlements found during HS2 works on 11:43 - Jan 11 with 730 viewsKeno

Nice story on Roman settlements found during HS2 works on 11:35 - Jan 11 by leitrimblue

Feck all. Concrete,the arch, genocide and the destruction of a superior Celtic culture that's about it. Personally from a selfish personal lever. I love the Hs2 project. Every archaeologist in Ireland as bu4ggered off to the UK leaving anyone left here to clean up financially. God bless stupid pointless infrastructure projects

archaeology in Ireland?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Nice story on Roman settlements found during HS2 works on 11:44 - Jan 11 with 721 viewsChurchman

Nice story on Roman settlements found during HS2 works on 11:35 - Jan 11 by leitrimblue

Ahh, but was Celtic culture that superior? The fact that the Romans, Angles/Saxons/Jutes, Vikings then the Normans (north men - sort of Vikings in disguise) trampled all over it suggests the blue faced chariot mob weren’t up to much!
Nice story on Roman settlements found during HS2 works on 11:49 - Jan 11 with 710 viewsHARRY10

Nice story on Roman settlements found during HS2 works on 11:44 - Jan 11 by Churchman

Ahh, but was Celtic culture that superior? The fact that the Romans, Angles/Saxons/Jutes, Vikings then the Normans (north men - sort of Vikings in disguise) trampled all over it suggests the blue faced chariot mob weren’t up to much!

celts, a convenient label for folk we know little about
Nice story on Roman settlements found during HS2 works on 11:51 - Jan 11 with 703 viewsChurchman

Nice story on Roman settlements found during HS2 works on 11:49 - Jan 11 by HARRY10

We know they originally tooled over from Spain and didn’t worry too much about trousers. What more do we need to know?
Nice story on Roman settlements found during HS2 works on 11:51 - Jan 11 with 703 viewsleitrimblue

Nice story on Roman settlements found during HS2 works on 11:44 - Jan 11 by Churchman

Superior culture, not superior at warfare. Look at the art for example. Brits would be lost for tattoo ideas without it
Nice story on Roman settlements found during HS2 works on 11:51 - Jan 11 with 696 viewsleitrimblue

Nice story on Roman settlements found during HS2 works on 11:49 - Jan 11 by HARRY10

Speak for yerself
Nice story on Roman settlements found during HS2 works on 12:02 - Jan 11 with 681 viewsHARRY10

Nice story on Roman settlements found during HS2 works on 11:51 - Jan 11 by leitrimblue

Speak for yerself

err, no

Celts is a catch all word used to describe various tribes, and groups, as

"The relationship between ethnicity, language and culture in the Celtic world is unclear and controversial. In particular, there is dispute over the ways in which the Iron Age inhabitants of Britain and Ireland should be regarded as Celts"
Nice story on Roman settlements found during HS2 works on 12:05 - Jan 11 with 675 viewsChurchman

Nice story on Roman settlements found during HS2 works on 11:51 - Jan 11 by leitrimblue

Superior culture, not superior at warfare. Look at the art for example. Brits would be lost for tattoo ideas without it

How true!! I quite like those celtic designs as it goes (not for tattoos!)

I think the celts were always quite active on the warfare front, but spent most of their time bumping each other off. Violent bunch (you wouldn’t want to meet one!) but organisation really wasn’t their thing.

What is interesting is that the DNA pattern of in particular England mirrors the Anglo-Saxon invasion of the 6th century, but just about all the people whose ancestors go back to that time have traces of celtic/Ancient Briton DNA along with some Viking and others, just as the vast majority of Scots have Anglo-Saxon DNA. For me, this always makes a mockery of nationalism/racism.

The big difference with the Anglo-Saxons was that their organisation structures supplanted their predecessors but as people kind of integrated and by and large survived the Viking invasions/ Normans.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2022 12:09]
Nice story on Roman settlements found during HS2 works on 12:05 - Jan 11 with 675 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Nice story on Roman settlements found during HS2 works on 11:35 - Jan 11 by HARRY10

Yes, the money if spent should have been targetted towards upgrading cross penine and other routes

this absurdity is way way over budget, and the cost will continue to increase

by it's completion date the country will have changed immensely - the idea of moving people physically to a place of work is changing, it is now about move data, ifo etc to people

lookung at the demise of the high street, the acceleration of video calls and working from home has already highlighted that change

what is it going to be in 15 years time ?

I can speak to a doctor via 'zoom', likewise why should I pay for a solicitor to have plush offices in the centre of town when I can zoom him/her anywhere in the UK (world) - and that applies to so many other others as well

how far has the smart phobe developed in the last 15 years - the rise of Uber, deliveroo and home deliveries for food and goods, how much else will evolve as technology develops, and here we are building the canal of the 21st century - utterly absurd

I never thought I’d say this…but I agree with Harry!
Nice story on Roman settlements found during HS2 works on 12:08 - Jan 11 with 665 viewsSteve_M

Nice story on Roman settlements found during HS2 works on 11:14 - Jan 11 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Upgrading the existing rail lines leads to years of delays and enormous cost over-runs, the West Coast mainline upgrade is a case in point. Infrastructure is expensive but pretending that cheaper alternatives do the same thing is political short-termism.

HS2 was badly sold but the real advantage should be to increase capacity, taking the fastest services away from existing lines allows for more commuter and freight trains on those. The cuts to it seriously weaken connectivity in the North and should be reversed really.

I don't think the alternative to HS2 is more journeys on existing trains, but rather more on roads and planes.

Nice story on Roman settlements found during HS2 works on 12:19 - Jan 11 with 643 viewsleitrimblue

Nice story on Roman settlements found during HS2 works on 12:02 - Jan 11 by HARRY10

err, no

Celts is a catch all word used to describe various tribes, and groups, as

"The relationship between ethnicity, language and culture in the Celtic world is unclear and controversial. In particular, there is dispute over the ways in which the Iron Age inhabitants of Britain and Ireland should be regarded as Celts"

Celtic is the word used to describe the iron age an early medieval times tribes of Northern Europe. It is far from perfect. Though the relationship between language and ethnicity may be less then clear. The fact they have a shared culture of art, metallurgy etc is less controversial. In which way would you dispute that the iron age inhabitants of UK and Ireland we're not Celts?
Nice story on Roman settlements found during HS2 works on 12:22 - Jan 11 with 632 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Nice story on Roman settlements found during HS2 works on 12:08 - Jan 11 by Steve_M

Upgrading the existing rail lines leads to years of delays and enormous cost over-runs, the West Coast mainline upgrade is a case in point. Infrastructure is expensive but pretending that cheaper alternatives do the same thing is political short-termism.

HS2 was badly sold but the real advantage should be to increase capacity, taking the fastest services away from existing lines allows for more commuter and freight trains on those. The cuts to it seriously weaken connectivity in the North and should be reversed really.

I don't think the alternative to HS2 is more journeys on existing trains, but rather more on roads and planes.

Just on your last point, and possibly another topic altogether- I don’t think it will result in more journeys by train.

The cost of longer journeys often prohibits going by rail - I would almost always go by car for a fraction of the price. For example the mrs was off to Birmingham (as it happens) for the weekend recently - 70 quid return for an advance “cheap” ticket, versus probably 40 quid in petrol split with a friend, and you are door to door.
Nice story on Roman settlements found during HS2 works on 12:23 - Jan 11 with 630 viewsleitrimblue

Nice story on Roman settlements found during HS2 works on 12:05 - Jan 11 by Churchman

How true!! I quite like those celtic designs as it goes (not for tattoos!)

I think the celts were always quite active on the warfare front, but spent most of their time bumping each other off. Violent bunch (you wouldn’t want to meet one!) but organisation really wasn’t their thing.

What is interesting is that the DNA pattern of in particular England mirrors the Anglo-Saxon invasion of the 6th century, but just about all the people whose ancestors go back to that time have traces of celtic/Ancient Briton DNA along with some Viking and others, just as the vast majority of Scots have Anglo-Saxon DNA. For me, this always makes a mockery of nationalism/racism.

The big difference with the Anglo-Saxons was that their organisation structures supplanted their predecessors but as people kind of integrated and by and large survived the Viking invasions/ Normans.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2022 12:09]

Ancient DNA is completely changing the way we see the ancient world. It is so fast moving with new information and advancements every few months. The more information we have on ancient DNA the more nationalism becomes pointless and embarrassing in my opinion
Nice story on Roman settlements found during HS2 works on 12:40 - Jan 11 with 604 viewsSteve_M

Nice story on Roman settlements found during HS2 works on 12:22 - Jan 11 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Just on your last point, and possibly another topic altogether- I don’t think it will result in more journeys by train.

The cost of longer journeys often prohibits going by rail - I would almost always go by car for a fraction of the price. For example the mrs was off to Birmingham (as it happens) for the weekend recently - 70 quid return for an advance “cheap” ticket, versus probably 40 quid in petrol split with a friend, and you are door to door.

That will get exacerbated by the Treasury forcing through big cuts in operational spending on rail in a post-Covid world. Classic short-termism from this government. This is also part of the reason there are far fewer cheap tickets available at the moment.

Nice story on Roman settlements found during HS2 works on 13:39 - Jan 11 with 558 viewsChurchman

Nice story on Roman settlements found during HS2 works on 12:23 - Jan 11 by leitrimblue

Ancient DNA is completely changing the way we see the ancient world. It is so fast moving with new information and advancements every few months. The more information we have on ancient DNA the more nationalism becomes pointless and embarrassing in my opinion

Agreed. I think DNA/discoveries are and should knock down some of the perceptions and prejudices we have. I suspect there’s a right old mix in my DNA, but I bet the lot that my ancestors came from other places to here.

I went to a lecture/presentation by the excellent Scottish historian Neil Oliver a couple of years. It was based on his new book at the time which looks at historical links going back to ancient times across these islands and was absolutely fascinating.

Nationalism and tribalism is fine for sport and sharing a beer or ten, but that’s where it should end for me.
Nice story on Roman settlements found during HS2 works on 13:42 - Jan 11 with 546 viewsCharlie_pl_baxter

If you like this kind of thing Dan Snow's History Hit pod did a whole episode on this.

Poll: We recruit two strikers, one has to be Bonne or Wickham, who would you have?

Nice story on Roman settlements found during HS2 works on 13:43 - Jan 11 with 546 viewsEwan_Oozami

Nice story on Roman settlements found during HS2 works on 13:39 - Jan 11 by Churchman

Agreed. I think DNA/discoveries are and should knock down some of the perceptions and prejudices we have. I suspect there’s a right old mix in my DNA, but I bet the lot that my ancestors came from other places to here.

I went to a lecture/presentation by the excellent Scottish historian Neil Oliver a couple of years. It was based on his new book at the time which looks at historical links going back to ancient times across these islands and was absolutely fascinating.

Nationalism and tribalism is fine for sport and sharing a beer or ten, but that’s where it should end for me.

Neil Oliver may have been an excellent historian once, but he has since gone down a long way the rabbit hole..

https://www.gbnews.uk/shows/neil-oliver-live

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024