Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Looking to go away in April 16:20 - Jan 11 with 1750 viewsgeg1992

Somewhere that's reasonably hot ideally. We've not had our honeymoon yet but want to go somewhere at least. This is of course all dependant on Covid. I'm hoping the majority of fears have gone by then, but we will most likely book last minute as if it's still this bad, it's not worth the risk.

New York and Barcelona we've done already.

Considering Thailand but a friend has recently had a bit of a nightmare after testing positive on arrival that has put us off, so we were thinking perhaps Europe or USA, but USA may be a bit expensive over Easter.

Over Easter holidays which seemed a great move at first to use the double BH, but forgot about schools!!!

Would highly appreciate any advice.

Poll: Who would you play in place of Burns on Sunday?

Looking to go away in April on 16:22 - Jan 11 with 1725 viewsbelgablue

South Africa is great that time of year, just coming out of summer. I guess it depends on the COVID situation but it's got a lot to see and do, plus no jet lag.

Poll: Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer?

Looking to go away in April on 16:24 - Jan 11 with 1697 viewsgeg1992

Looking to go away in April on 16:22 - Jan 11 by belgablue

South Africa is great that time of year, just coming out of summer. I guess it depends on the COVID situation but it's got a lot to see and do, plus no jet lag.

Great shout, thanks. My Dad always raves about the place. Will do some research.

Looking to go away in April on 16:30 - Jan 11 with 1682 viewsjimsymBLUE

I'm just coming towards the end of 2 months in Sri Lanka. It's been through the mire many times over the past 20 years (my 3rd visit) but it's a magnificent place. Covid still remains incredibly low in comparison to most of the world and you can see old and new or find fantastic beaches. Food is brilliant and your pound will go a mile. If you've never done the sub-con it's, a great place to start.

Poll: Who is the better contributor to this site?

Looking to go away in April on 17:02 - Jan 11 with 1565 viewsX0Y0

Looking to go away in April on 16:30 - Jan 11 by jimsymBLUE

I'm just coming towards the end of 2 months in Sri Lanka. It's been through the mire many times over the past 20 years (my 3rd visit) but it's a magnificent place. Covid still remains incredibly low in comparison to most of the world and you can see old and new or find fantastic beaches. Food is brilliant and your pound will go a mile. If you've never done the sub-con it's, a great place to start.

I would also wholeheartedly recommend Sri Lanka. It has almost everything you could wish for and all in close proximity, often only a few hours in a taxi or a slow but scenic train ride away, though both are affordable.

One day you can be visiting ancient fortresses (like sigiriya rock), the next walking in the hills visiting tea plantations, followed by safari to see elephants, and then on to perfect beaches and lovely towns like Galle. Layer on top of that excellent food (especially for vegetarians), good value / exchange rates, good local knowledge of English, and probably the most friendly / helpful local attitudes towards tourists I’ve encountered in Asia, it honestly is excellent.

Perfect honeymoon destination too. I’ve recommended it to many friends / couple since and all have raved about it, and no shocking stories.
Looking to go away in April on 17:19 - Jan 11 with 1526 viewsIllinoisblue

Also getting away in April… a week in sunny Suffolk barring any covid lockdown nonsense. Hope to be at Wigan home game where we will thrash Leam Richardson’s team and finally put an end to the banter era

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Looking to go away in April on 17:30 - Jan 11 with 1491 viewsallezlesbleus

Looking to go away in April on 16:24 - Jan 11 by geg1992

Great shout, thanks. My Dad always raves about the place. Will do some research.

I can send you some info on SA, if you are interested?
Looking to go away in April on 17:36 - Jan 11 with 1479 viewsHerbivore

Should be reasonably toasty in the likes of Greece, Cyprus and Turkey in April. Somewhere like Madeira also.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Looking to go away in April on 18:05 - Jan 11 with 1427 viewsArnoldMoorhen

If you really want to go to the USA, and can be flexible with dates a little bit, United Airlines and Lufthansa have deals on for March. £240-360 DIRECT on a range of destinations from Birmingham, Edinburgh, Manchester and Heathrow.

You can search by airline on Google Flights.

It sounds like you are more into City Breaks than beach resorts. Is that right?

How long do you have? Would you be willing to hire a car and tour a bit?

Places worth looking at:

Spain: Granada, San Sebastian

Italy: Rome, Florence (with day trip to Pisa by train). Or do all three with train between, fly into Rome and out from either Pisa or Florence.

USA: because of the time of year you probably need to draw a line from LA to Florida and stay South of it to avoid bad weather. eg Florida Keys and Everglades are accessible from Miami if you hire a car, weather is very pleasant at that time of year: after the storms and hurricanes but before the high temperatures of Summer, mid 20s rather than 30s.

Probably safest to avoid France or travel through it as Macron has gone heavy on Covid in last few weeks, and March is only a few weeks away!
Login to get fewer ads

Looking to go away in April on 21:00 - Jan 11 with 1280 viewsfactual_blue

If it's open, then the Pacific coast of Costa Rica is lovely, As is the whole country.

One or two holiday companies fly straight to the Pacific coast (ie TUI).

La Palma in The Canaries is very nice (much nicer than the other islands), and the volcano has calmed down.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Looking to go away in April on 21:05 - Jan 11 with 1273 viewsfactual_blue

Looking to go away in April on 17:02 - Jan 11 by X0Y0

I would also wholeheartedly recommend Sri Lanka. It has almost everything you could wish for and all in close proximity, often only a few hours in a taxi or a slow but scenic train ride away, though both are affordable.

One day you can be visiting ancient fortresses (like sigiriya rock), the next walking in the hills visiting tea plantations, followed by safari to see elephants, and then on to perfect beaches and lovely towns like Galle. Layer on top of that excellent food (especially for vegetarians), good value / exchange rates, good local knowledge of English, and probably the most friendly / helpful local attitudes towards tourists I’ve encountered in Asia, it honestly is excellent.

Perfect honeymoon destination too. I’ve recommended it to many friends / couple since and all have raved about it, and no shocking stories.

Yes - another smashing destination.

Although our return flight was diverted to Manchester due to high winds at Gatwick. Fortunately we hadn't left our car at Gatwick, so dodged the 'five hour' coach journey (on a very windy Friday afternoon? Seven hours more like) back to Gatwick. Instead a train from the airport to Manchester Piccadilly and then the direct service to Thetford.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Looking to go away in April on 21:10 - Jan 11 with 1253 viewsbelgablue

Looking to go away in April on 16:24 - Jan 11 by geg1992

Feel free to drop me a message if you want any tips. Although there is a wealth online.

Poll: Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer?

Looking to go away in April on 08:56 - Jan 12 with 1102 viewsSonOfSpock

Shameless plug here, but if you need a hand on locations etc or getting something booked, am happy to message you Mrs Spocks contact details - she's an independant travel agent and is looking to build up the business after challenging prior 18 months.

am sure she could do something for you (and other board members of course).
Looking to go away in April on 09:17 - Jan 12 with 1071 viewsSwansea_Blue

Rotherham, 15th April. Exotic, full of strange people you won’t be able to understand, and you can take in McKenna’s latest masterclass - sorted!

(Mrs can confirm Costa Rica is ace. Sri Lanka is on my wish list as it’s meant to be superb and you get so many different environments in a small area. Greece/Med islands a good shout for easier/nearer options. Madeira is meant to be lovely. Even northern & NE Mallorca is very good as long as you go out of season).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Looking to go away in April on 09:20 - Jan 12 with 1063 viewsElderGrizzly

Avoid East Asia and Middle East would be my professional advice due to Covid restrictions and use of less than pleasant official Govt Covid accommodation.

Europe or USA a much safer bet and unlikely to have many Covid restrictions by then on travel
[Redacted] on 10:43 - Jan 12 with 1002 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Looking to go away in April on 12:20 - Jan 12 with 935 viewsADStephenson

Another recommendation for Sri Lanka - I went in 2015 for my honeymoon and did pretty much all the things outlined by X0Y0. It’s a fantastic place and I’d love to go back. Sigiriya Rock was amazing, the tea plantation we stayed at was one of the most beautiful and peaceful places I’ve been to and the National Park in the south (can’t remember the name) was fantastic too. We saw a leopard and plenty of elephants amongst the wildlife we got to experience. And everywhere we went we experienced wonderful hospitality.

www.adstephenson.com

Looking to go away in April on 12:22 - Jan 12 with 932 viewsgeg1992

Wow, thank you all so much for your replies!! Looks like I have a lot of research to do.

Not sure why I've never considered Sri Lanka, it sounds right up our street!

Looking to go away in April on 12:39 - Jan 12 with 901 viewsADStephenson

Sorry - duplicate post.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2022 12:43]

www.adstephenson.com

Looking to go away in April on 13:04 - Jan 12 with 869 viewsandytown

Looking to go away in April on 12:39 - Jan 12 by ADStephenson

Sorry - duplicate post.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2022 12:43]

Another Sri Lanka. Went for the cricket in 2012/13 and the weather was great.
Also great in April is Brisbane and Queensland.

For Europe, its not hot, but lovely and warm in the south, if you like ancient stuff then Naples for Pompeii. You might even chance on Napoli playing at home; flares at both ends for sure!
Looking to go away in April on 18:24 - Jan 12 with 766 viewsBlueBadger

You'll get around 25-30 degrees in The Algarve in April. Avoid places like Albuferia and Villamoura and go somewhere like Alvor, Lagos or Ferragudo.

Or go a bit inland to somewhere like Silves or even Monchique.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Looking to go away in April on 18:27 - Jan 12 with 760 viewsAce_High1

Carribean should still be good early April.

Just came back from Xmas over there, wonderful countries and the weather was 30 degrees every day.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024