Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chris Wood to Newcastle 19:57 - Jan 11 with 3242 viewschrismakin

Must say altho it's Jan window which is usually quite difficult anyway, I wasn't expecting that sort of signing

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Chris Wood to Newcastle on 20:01 - Jan 11 with 2813 viewsIllinoisblue

He’ll be great for them in the Championship next season

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Chris Wood to Newcastle on 20:06 - Jan 11 with 2783 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Not sure he's the answer for them. Appreciate they have no fit strikers but feels v desperate. He's got what 3 goals this season, he ks prone to bursts of form feels like they are just chucking money at wherever it sticks

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Chris Wood to Newcastle on 21:17 - Jan 11 with 2541 viewsElderGrizzly

Chris Wood to Newcastle on 20:01 - Jan 11 by Illinoisblue

He’ll be great for them in the Championship next season

For between £20m to £25m that is some overpaying by Newcastle for a striker who has got 3 goals this season.

Weakens a relegation rival though I assume
Chris Wood to Newcastle on 21:18 - Jan 11 with 2531 viewsITFC_Forever

That’s a transfer that does none of the parties concerned any favours. Expect probably the agent.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Chris Wood to Newcastle on 21:48 - Jan 11 with 2433 viewsdavblue

Chris Wood to Newcastle on 20:06 - Jan 11 by BlueandTruesince82

Not sure he's the answer for them. Appreciate they have no fit strikers but feels v desperate. He's got what 3 goals this season, he ks prone to bursts of form feels like they are just chucking money at wherever it sticks

He knows the league though and has experience of being towards the bottom of the league.

Think it’s a decent deal from purely a player perspective for Newcastle.
Chris Wood to Newcastle on 21:50 - Jan 11 with 2415 viewsSitfcB

Chris Wood to Newcastle on 21:18 - Jan 11 by ITFC_Forever

That’s a transfer that does none of the parties concerned any favours. Expect probably the agent.

Yep, the agent got the ball rolling by mentioning the release clause to the Newcastle owners

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Chris Wood to Newcastle on 21:54 - Jan 11 with 2392 viewsElderGrizzly

Chris Wood to Newcastle on 21:50 - Jan 11 by SitfcB

Yep, the agent got the ball rolling by mentioning the release clause to the Newcastle owners

It’s not Barnett is it?
Chris Wood to Newcastle on 21:55 - Jan 11 with 2392 viewsOwainG1992

As mentioned it weakens Burnley.
That's a huge selling point in completing this deal.
Newcastle get the ball forward more than Burnley.
I think he's a decent option for them.
Perhaps a foil for Wilson when fit?

Poll: Apologies I'm bored. How many signings will we have by Plymouth at home.

Login to get fewer ads

Chris Wood to Newcastle on 22:21 - Jan 11 with 2296 viewsArnieM

Chris Wood to Newcastle on 21:50 - Jan 11 by SitfcB

Bloody agents eh ! God, don’t you just despise the blood sucking shytes
[Post edited 11 Jan 2022 22:22]

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Chris Wood to Newcastle on 22:27 - Jan 11 with 2270 viewsitfcjoe

Chris Wood to Newcastle on 21:48 - Jan 11 by davblue

He knows the league though and has experience of being towards the bottom of the league.

Think it’s a decent deal from purely a player perspective for Newcastle.

He’s got into double figures for goals every season for low scoring Burnley, not many have done that 4 years in a row, probably no one for a bottom half team.

It weakens a direct rival, and brings in a proven striker - price isn’t extortionate bearing in mind what Burnley paid for him - good deal for Newcastle and Wood.

Burnley now have to find another striker, going to be bloody difficult for them as everyone knows what they have and how desperate they are - they’ll end up shelling out big money for someone like Keiffer Moore or Lyndon Dykes

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Chris Wood to Newcastle on 22:42 - Jan 11 with 2197 viewsdavblue

Chris Wood to Newcastle on 22:27 - Jan 11 by itfcjoe

He’s got into double figures for goals every season for low scoring Burnley, not many have done that 4 years in a row, probably no one for a bottom half team.

It weakens a direct rival, and brings in a proven striker - price isn’t extortionate bearing in mind what Burnley paid for him - good deal for Newcastle and Wood.

Burnley now have to find another striker, going to be bloody difficult for them as everyone knows what they have and how desperate they are - they’ll end up shelling out big money for someone like Keiffer Moore or Lyndon Dykes

This could be the year Burnley go down.

I know the football is turgid but there’s a lot to admire about Burnley and Dyche. It’s an ageing team though and probably could have done with 3 or 4 more through the door last summer with a younger profile and as good if not better than their current players.

Hope they stay up but Wood will be a big loss for them.
Chris Wood to Newcastle on 05:01 - Jan 12 with 1932 viewsIPS_wich

Chris Wood to Newcastle on 22:42 - Jan 11 by davblue

This could be the year Burnley go down.

I know the football is turgid but there’s a lot to admire about Burnley and Dyche. It’s an ageing team though and probably could have done with 3 or 4 more through the door last summer with a younger profile and as good if not better than their current players.

Hope they stay up but Wood will be a big loss for them.

Genuine question because I haven't watched a non-Ipswich game of football for almost 15 years and couldn't give a stuff about any other league than the one we're in - but is this the same Chris Wood who we had on loan a few years ago, did f**k all and then we let go back to (I want to say) Leicester.

Now worth $25m and his absence will hurt a team trying to survive relegation from the prem??

Next thing someone will post that Simon Dawkins is playing in the champions league and Connor Sammon is top scorer in the Championship!!!
Chris Wood to Newcastle on 08:21 - Jan 12 with 1744 viewsBseaBlue

Chris Wood to Newcastle on 05:01 - Jan 12 by IPS_wich

Genuine question because I haven't watched a non-Ipswich game of football for almost 15 years and couldn't give a stuff about any other league than the one we're in - but is this the same Chris Wood who we had on loan a few years ago, did f**k all and then we let go back to (I want to say) Leicester.

Now worth $25m and his absence will hurt a team trying to survive relegation from the prem??

Next thing someone will post that Simon Dawkins is playing in the champions league and Connor Sammon is top scorer in the Championship!!!

To be fair to him, he wasn't fit when he was here.
Chris Wood to Newcastle on 08:38 - Jan 12 with 1675 viewsChurchman

Wow, that’s some transfer fee for him. He’s had a good record for Leeds then Burnley and if Newcastle do go down he will do well for them in the Championship.

However, for me it’s a better deal for Burnley for that kind of money, presuming they have a replacement in mind.

Wood was a strange one. On loan for us he was as fat as a barrel. McDonalds and Kentucky must have been rubbing their hands with glee. Eight appearances and a bit of a waste of space. He was clearly using us to get fit as next season for dirty Leeds he came roaring out fit as a flea and banged them in for fun. A good player, but £25m?
Chris Wood to Newcastle on 08:39 - Jan 12 with 1663 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Chris Wood to Newcastle on 08:38 - Jan 12 by Churchman

Wow, that’s some transfer fee for him. He’s had a good record for Leeds then Burnley and if Newcastle do go down he will do well for them in the Championship.

However, for me it’s a better deal for Burnley for that kind of money, presuming they have a replacement in mind.

Wood was a strange one. On loan for us he was as fat as a barrel. McDonalds and Kentucky must have been rubbing their hands with glee. Eight appearances and a bit of a waste of space. He was clearly using us to get fit as next season for dirty Leeds he came roaring out fit as a flea and banged them in for fun. A good player, but £25m?

Why do people still act like £25m is a lot of money for Premier League sides?

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Chris Wood to Newcastle on 08:44 - Jan 12 with 1652 viewsHerbivore

Chris Wood to Newcastle on 08:39 - Jan 12 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

It's like us spending £250k on a player.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Chris Wood to Newcastle on 09:21 - Jan 12 with 1533 viewsChurchman

Chris Wood to Newcastle on 08:39 - Jan 12 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

You are right and I’m out of touch with PL fees. However, if Ivan Toney cost Brentford £5m plus add ons, that looks a bargain by comparison. But of course,

Brentford bought him when they were in the Championship then.
Chris Wood to Newcastle on 09:27 - Jan 12 with 1508 viewsrickw

Chris Wood to Newcastle on 08:38 - Jan 12 by Churchman

Agree he just looked very slow and immobile when he was here.

I don't think he'll be a success at Newcastle either, not unless Howe changes style so they start to play like Burnley - but he will be a miss for them!

Now if they can just buy Dennis from Watford they should be ok!!

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Chris Wood to Newcastle on 09:29 - Jan 12 with 1493 viewsdavblue

He's a good player, very unfit when he was here and was starting to get going and then was recalled. He would have been a big asset for us had we kept him until the end of the season.
Chris Wood to Newcastle on 09:33 - Jan 12 with 1456 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Except he went straight to Leeds from us and scored something like 1 in 2 games I think it was.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Chris Wood to Newcastle on 09:36 - Jan 12 with 1440 viewsclive_baker

If he scores 5 or 6 goals and helps them stay up then you would have to say it would be good value. As others have said, it screws Burnley somewhat too unless they can pull something out of the bag by way of a replacement. Can't say I've seen much of Newcastle but based on what I've eard it sounds like a good addition in terms of what they've been lacking, a 10 goal a season second striker in his prime, and would be a good foil for Wilson if they can keep him fit. They've got some massive games coming up, Wood could've paid that fee back in the next 2 months.

Perhaps £5m too expensive, but what's that in the context of the Premier League.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Chris Wood to Newcastle on 09:40 - Jan 12 with 1426 viewsSomethingBlue

It's a superb signing at the price — four consecutive seasons getting double figures in the PL before this.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Chris Wood to Newcastle on 09:47 - Jan 12 with 1399 viewsSteve_M

Just on the Burnley angle, I had forgotten they got taken over and are essentially repaying the loan. Relegation for them might be quite bad:

https://www.football365.com/news/opinion-burnley-are-in-trouble-and-may-be-ill-e

They look like they might just have run out of steam as a Premier League club.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Chris Wood to Newcastle on 09:49 - Jan 12 with 1382 viewsRadlett_blue

Newcastle are desperate for a striker, so are prepared to pay £20m or so for a 30 year old. A desperate piece of short termism in an attempt to stave off relegation.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Chris Wood to Newcastle on 10:53 - Jan 12 with 1245 viewsChrisd

I don’t see him as a long term solution, more to help them out of this hole they find themselves in. He won’t score a hatful of goals, but what he’s really good at is bringing others into the game which will help Joelinton, Saint- Maximin and Fraser and he provides that physical presence so they can mix their play up. At the end of the day, Newcastle need only to finish 4th from bottom this season and that is more than achievable with how the bottom of the table looks currently.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024