Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bristol City and FFP Losses 11:23 - Jan 12 with 2203 viewsSteve_M

Oh...

Paywalled so I can't read it but just thought it worth posting:

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Bristol City and FFP Losses on 11:28 - Jan 12 with 2132 viewsElderGrizzly

Day to day trading is key i expect, as they have made upwards of £100m on transfers?
Bristol City and FFP Losses on 11:29 - Jan 12 with 2125 viewscatch74

Blimey, I’d get out of there quick if I was involved.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Bristol City and FFP Losses on 11:29 - Jan 12 with 2122 viewsGuthrum

Basically, it says that the transfer crash has hit clubs' ability to make enough money to cover their wages/operating costs within FFP. No danger of administration, but high risk of points deduction penalties.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Bristol City and FFP Losses on 11:30 - Jan 12 with 2104 viewsElderGrizzly

Bristol City and FFP Losses on 11:29 - Jan 12 by catch74

Blimey, I’d get out of there quick if I was involved.

Thank God we don't have their CEO at our club…
Bristol City and FFP Losses on 11:33 - Jan 12 with 2058 viewsSwansea_Blue

Bristol City and FFP Losses on 11:30 - Jan 12 by ElderGrizzly

Innit. You'd have to be a right numpty to fail at a business like that.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Bristol City and FFP Losses on 11:37 - Jan 12 with 2038 viewstractorboy1978

Bristol City and FFP Losses on 11:29 - Jan 12 by Guthrum

Basically, it says that the transfer crash has hit clubs' ability to make enough money to cover their wages/operating costs within FFP. No danger of administration, but high risk of points deduction penalties.

After years of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, it appears that we've finally landed on the right side of some fortune with this. A depressed market in the summer helped us build the squad we have.
Bristol City and FFP Losses on 11:37 - Jan 12 with 2036 viewsGuthrum

Bristol City and FFP Losses on 11:30 - Jan 12 by ElderGrizzly

If the article is accurate, not a lot the Chief Exec could have done. Sudden, unexpected loss of income due to Covid damaging the transfer market means they haven't got the funds to cover wages within FFP (or whatever the initials are nowadays). No doubt some Bristol fans will blame Ashton for it, tho.

Bristol City and FFP Losses on 11:39 - Jan 12 with 2017 viewsElderGrizzly

Bristol City and FFP Losses on 11:37 - Jan 12 by Guthrum

If the article is accurate, not a lot the Chief Exec could have done. Sudden, unexpected loss of income due to Covid damaging the transfer market means they haven't got the funds to cover wages within FFP (or whatever the initials are nowadays). No doubt some Bristol fans will blame Ashton for it, tho.

Was very much said in jest.

Ashton works with the funding given to him by the owners both at Bristol and here
[Post edited 12 Jan 2022 11:39]
Login to get fewer ads

Bristol City and FFP Losses on 11:41 - Jan 12 with 1976 viewstractorboy1978

Bristol City were also been heavily affected by the loss of commercial income from COVID too - down £7m on 2019/20.
Bristol City and FFP Losses on 11:42 - Jan 12 with 1963 viewsSteve_M

That is all a bit ITV Digital mind.

Bristol City and FFP Losses on 11:44 - Jan 12 with 1927 viewsHerbivore

Bristol City and FFP Losses on 11:39 - Jan 12 by ElderGrizzly

Was very much said in jest.

Ashton works with the funding given to him by the owners both at Bristol and here
[Post edited 12 Jan 2022 11:39]

I think this is crucial. Ashton is not the owner, it's not his money. He will be working within set financial parameters.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Bristol City and FFP Losses on 11:46 - Jan 12 with 1918 viewsHorseboy

Really? Disagree, this is always a risk with this model, eventually the luck of signing the right players and perfectly developing on a conveyor belt will dry up, its impossible to constantly make great decisions on signing and selling on, very very risky.
Bristol City and FFP Losses on 11:47 - Jan 12 with 1903 viewsGuthrum

Bristol City and FFP Losses on 11:42 - Jan 12 by Steve_M

That is all a bit ITV Digital mind.

Tho in that case it was clubs (including Town) spending anticipated bonus income they hadn't received yet. This is more the bottom falling out of the normal market with clubs trapped in pre-existing wage contracts.

Bristol City and FFP Losses on 11:47 - Jan 12 with 1913 viewsArnieM

Do you know this almost mirrors what put us eventually into administration.

We got clobbered with the loss of digital tv money when it collapsed , and we had by then already committed to overseas players in the squad on hefty contracts.

I think the nail in our coffin was our concurrent ill-fated “ qualification” via the Fair play League to the UEFA cup competition in our 2nd PL season, when we struggled to deal the travelling. A Town defender, ( Unsworth?), said they felt like they were always travelling and always knackered after a UEFA cu0 game. They get back t9 PR late on the Thursday night , and had little time to prepare for the Saturday PL game.

I often wonder if we’d have survived our second season if we’d not been in that bloody UEFA cup competition!

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Bristol City and FFP Losses on 11:48 - Jan 12 with 1890 viewstractorboy1978

Bristol City and FFP Losses on 11:46 - Jan 12 by Horseboy

Really? Disagree, this is always a risk with this model, eventually the luck of signing the right players and perfectly developing on a conveyor belt will dry up, its impossible to constantly make great decisions on signing and selling on, very very risky.

It isn't luck though if you have the right recruitment/scouting team in place. All clubs win some and lose some but there is a skill to player trading. Ashton et al did us up a treat with Webster.
Bristol City and FFP Losses on 11:49 - Jan 12 with 1873 viewsHerbivore

Signing the right players isn't (or at least shouldn't be) a matter of luck. The model isn't reliant on every signing working either.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Bristol City and FFP Losses on 11:52 - Jan 12 with 1841 viewsGuthrum

There is manageable risk and there's having the entire system collapse without warning, putting them vastly afoul of the rules, which have not been (according to those clubs) sufficiently adjusted to the new situation.

I agree that the whole thing was a fragile house of cards, with pretty much all clubs in the upper tiers operating way beyond their means.

Bristol City and FFP Losses on 11:53 - Jan 12 with 1843 viewsPhilTWTD

Bristol City and FFP Losses on 11:47 - Jan 12 by ArnieM

We got clobbered with the loss of digital tv money when it collapsed , and we had by then already committed to overseas players in the squad on hefty contracts.

I think the nail in our coffin was our concurrent ill-fated “ qualification” via the Fair play League to the UEFA cup competition in our 2nd PL season, when we struggled to deal the travelling. A Town defender, ( Unsworth?), said they felt like they were always travelling and always knackered after a UEFA cu0 game. They get back t9 PR late on the Thursday night , and had little time to prepare for the Saturday PL game.

I often wonder if we’d have survived our second season if we’d not been in that bloody UEFA cup competition!

Was just thinking similar re the first two paragraphs, bottom fell out of the transfer market at a time we needed to bring in cash and we couldn't offload big contracts, loss of ITV Digital cash didn't help, hence administration.

Re the UEFA Cup, we qualified 'properly' for the second Premier League season, we were in the Championship when we played having qualified via the Fair Play League. Unsworth wasn't with us until a while after that but I'm sure a player made a similar comment at the time. UEFA Cup matches were played on the Thursday with league matches on the Sunday.
Bristol City and FFP Losses on 12:03 - Jan 12 with 1745 viewsSteve_M

Bristol City and FFP Losses on 11:47 - Jan 12 by ArnieM

Yes, definitely some similarities with ITV Digital but think our failing was that Sheepshansk did not take the risk of not selling players seriously when Holland and Hreidarsson turned down moves in the Summer.

The UEFA cup didn't help us but we did qualify through finishing fifth. It might have been different with a couple of wins in the Autumn of 01-02 or not collapsing so badly in the Spring.

Bristol City and FFP Losses on 12:30 - Jan 12 with 1614 viewsIllinoisblue

If only we had a resident Bristol City fan who could tell us who’s responsible…

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Bristol City and FFP Losses on 19:59 - Jan 12 with 1214 viewsvanmunt

It was reported in the local rag Bristol City made losses of £38M last season
Bristol City and FFP Losses on 20:08 - Jan 12 with 1189 viewsArnieM

Bristol City and FFP Losses on 11:53 - Jan 12 by PhilTWTD

Was just thinking similar re the first two paragraphs, bottom fell out of the transfer market at a time we needed to bring in cash and we couldn't offload big contracts, loss of ITV Digital cash didn't help, hence administration.

Re the UEFA Cup, we qualified 'properly' for the second Premier League season, we were in the Championship when we played having qualified via the Fair Play League. Unsworth wasn't with us until a while after that but I'm sure a player made a similar comment at the time. UEFA Cup matches were played on the Thursday with league matches on the Sunday.

Oh we’re we ( in championship) during fair play qualification . I was always convinced it was our 2 PL season.

All I can recall was it was it was possibly a defender being interviewed about the UEFA cup games and PL fixtures. He said the team just get tired from all the travelling. So we must have been relegated by then?

All the stars mal aligned for us that 2nd year in the PL didn’t it. And it’s ruined us for the last 20 years as a consequence!

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Bristol City and FFP Losses on 20:17 - Jan 12 with 1168 viewsFevsBCFC

Bristol City and FFP Losses on 12:30 - Jan 12 by Illinoisblue

If only we had a resident Bristol City fan who could tell us who’s responsible…

The owner, Steve Lansdown, ultimately.

How many times have I posted about his culpability in this???

As for the article itself, this is a two-fold message:

1) to fans, don’t build your hopes up this window or in the summer (which most of us who follow the financial side already know and understand) because some think we should spend £6m on a striker - JCH anyone!

2) to garner further support in the EFL for FFP reform, in particular parachute payments and movement to / towards a salary cap, to bring a more level playing field. Lansdown and Gibson big proponents of scrapping PPs.

As for “points deduction”, I honestly don’t believe Lansdown would entertain it, would stink of massive hypocrisy, and would go against the grain of a billionaire accountant to fall foul of financial compliance.

Think it’s more messaging, don’t try and buy our youngsters in the cheap (Massengo, Scott, Semenyo, Benarous, etc).

As it stands the players we let go in the summer was a phase of heavy lifting to get our house in order….so that we are well inside FFP this cycle. Next season’s cycle is tight, my estimates have us just over £39m, but if we extended the contracts of Kalas and Massengo and smoothed their amortisation over an extra 3 years, we’d be back under £39m.

So, there is really nothing drastic needing doing. We could achieve it by not re-contracting, Martin, O’Dowda, Simpson, King, etc.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024