Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Churchillian complex 09:08 - Jan 14 with 762 viewsCotty

I get the feeling that Boris's Churchillian complex is partly to blame for some of this conduct. I can imagine that through much of this crisis, he had visions of himself in Churchill's war room, replete with champagne, brandy and cocaine. His war room was the garden at number 10. I genuinely think that he doesn't believe that he's done anything wrong.
Churchillian complex on 09:15 - Jan 14 with 727 viewsGuthrum

Difficult to think of a politician much further from Churchill than Johnson.

Perhaps the only similarity is a penchant for self-publicity, tho even there Churchill did most of his through stylish literary-historical works, rather than being a buffoon in public.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Churchillian complex on 09:24 - Jan 14 with 699 viewsChurchman

I don’t think Churchill used cocaine, but he did I believe use amphetamines to keep awake. He certainly enjoyed his alcohol too - by the boatload.
Churchillian complex on 09:30 - Jan 14 with 684 viewsGuthrum

Churchillian complex on 09:24 - Jan 14 by Churchman

I don’t think Churchill used cocaine, but he did I believe use amphetamines to keep awake. He certainly enjoyed his alcohol too - by the boatload.

Everyone was using amphetamines during the war. Bomber crews were being sent out on Benzedrine to help alertness on night raids. The Germans used Pervitin.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Churchillian complex on 10:39 - Jan 14 with 634 viewsBlueBadger

I know Guffers will object to this on grounds of strict historical accuracy by Boris IS Churchillian.

The Churchill who sent thousands in to die at Suvla bay.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Churchillian complex on 10:40 - Jan 14 with 628 viewsGlasgowBlue

He has more in common with Churchill the nodding dog.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Churchillian complex on 10:48 - Jan 14 with 613 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Churchillian complex on 10:40 - Jan 14 by GlasgowBlue

He has more in common with Churchill the nodding dog.

"Oh yes"

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Churchillian complex on 10:59 - Jan 14 with 585 viewsWeWereZombies

Churchillian complex on 10:48 - Jan 14 by You_Bloo_Right

"Oh yes"

I think that works as a ruff comparison...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Churchillian complex on 11:04 - Jan 14 with 571 viewsGlasgowBlue

Churchillian complex on 10:59 - Jan 14 by WeWereZombies

I think that works as a ruff comparison...

Well Johnson is barking.

Iron Lion Zion

Login to get fewer ads

Churchillian complex on 11:16 - Jan 14 with 554 viewsWeWereZombies

Churchillian complex on 11:04 - Jan 14 by GlasgowBlue

Well Johnson is barking.

I don't just bow to your assessment, I bow wow wow to it...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Churchillian complex on 11:18 - Jan 14 with 545 viewsGlasgowBlue

Churchillian complex on 11:16 - Jan 14 by WeWereZombies

I don't just bow to your assessment, I bow wow wow to it...

He's no longer fit to lead. I look forward to his collar getting felt.

Iron Lion Zion

Churchillian complex on 11:20 - Jan 14 with 538 viewsfooters

Churchillian complex on 09:24 - Jan 14 by Churchman

You should read Blitzed: Drugs in Nazi Germany. Brilliant book.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Churchillian complex on 13:08 - Jan 14 with 495 viewsHARRY10

Johnson is ambitious, and looking at Churchill quickly grasped the best way was style....over substance. While to outward appearnvces Chirchill was the leader during the war, the reality was that by 1942 he was pretty much irrelevant, used as a moral booster - something not need in 1945 and was swept from office by one of the biggest landslides in history.

The cigar was a prop, he always kept a half smoked one in his top pocket. He spent more time working on speeches, than cabinet papers.

It was this that Johnson desperately tried to copy. His use of latin and classic Greek were all rehearsed rather than having a fluency in both (a trick used by Enoch Powell). He was an complete failure as London Mayor, turning up to meetings badly briefed and attempt to wing it, preferring the photo opportunity, and the well rehearsed one liners. As with Jan 2020 when instead of attending a COBRA meeting he chose to have his photo taken with some Chinese Dragon dancers. In fact I think he has his own official photographer(s).

The problem is the higher he rose, the more exposed he became. I doubt many watched his woeful performances at meetings during his time as London mayor - a record 3 million were listed as having watched PMQ's on Weds.

Put basically, he has been found out. A shallow man with little to offer other than naked ambition, ot will only when voters judge him on the 160,000 Covid deaths rather than out door parties, that we will truly begin to grasp the full horror as his time as PM.
Churchillian complex on 13:18 - Jan 14 with 477 viewsHARRY10

Churchillian complex on 11:20 - Jan 14 by footers

Not read the book, but have read of the Germans use of Pervitin.

Which was behind the suicidal crossing of rivers during the invasion of France in 1940. Soldiers being shot and another taking his place during bridge building. It is thought to have been behind the 'halt before Dunkirk' as they were by then....ficked.

The British issued around 72m Benzedrine tablets during WW2, and it was an attempt by the Germans to develop a drug that suppressed the appetite that gave us MDMA, Ever wondered why the dancing in the 1920's apes that of the rave scene of the 90's - frenetic body movement. Cocaine, which was freely available if you were rich.

As the old saying goes

it is OK to be blown up in wartime, but not shot away in peacetime.
Churchillian complex on 13:42 - Jan 14 with 454 viewsChurchman

Churchillian complex on 11:20 - Jan 14 by footers

I’ll have a read of that. I know that ‘pep pills’ were used a lot by bomber crews in WW2.

Quite frankly, if the choice is between falling asleep with a Bf110G or a Ju88 up your rear end spoiling your evening or taking the pills and having a chance to avoid that pleasure, pass the pills!
Churchillian complex on 14:04 - Jan 14 with 417 viewsChurchman

Churchillian complex on 13:08 - Jan 14 by HARRY10

Johnson is ambitious, and looking at Churchill quickly grasped the best way was style....over substance. While to outward appearnvces Chirchill was the leader during the war, the reality was that by 1942 he was pretty much irrelevant, used as a moral booster - something not need in 1945 and was swept from office by one of the biggest landslides in history.

The cigar was a prop, he always kept a half smoked one in his top pocket. He spent more time working on speeches, than cabinet papers.

It was this that Johnson desperately tried to copy. His use of latin and classic Greek were all rehearsed rather than having a fluency in both (a trick used by Enoch Powell). He was an complete failure as London Mayor, turning up to meetings badly briefed and attempt to wing it, preferring the photo opportunity, and the well rehearsed one liners. As with Jan 2020 when instead of attending a COBRA meeting he chose to have his photo taken with some Chinese Dragon dancers. In fact I think he has his own official photographer(s).

The problem is the higher he rose, the more exposed he became. I doubt many watched his woeful performances at meetings during his time as London mayor - a record 3 million were listed as having watched PMQ's on Weds.

Put basically, he has been found out. A shallow man with little to offer other than naked ambition, ot will only when voters judge him on the 160,000 Covid deaths rather than out door parties, that we will truly begin to grasp the full horror as his time as PM.

Churchill was the right man in the right place at the right time and accordingly deserves his place in history for it.

I don’t think he was irrelevant until he was thrown out by Attlee in 1945. He was extremely important in the conduct of the war right up to about Dec 1944, by which time American forces were outnumbering British/Canadian etc troops in Europe and of course the Far East. What happened was that Britain and its empire became less important as it declined as Russian American forces grew and people started jostling for the post war carve up.

Churchill was a great orator, dynamic and personally a brave man. He had if you like ‘star quality’ and carried this country through the peril years of 1940 - 42. He was vital to our war effort.

However, Churchill was flawed. He was not the military genius he thought he was and interfered as much as Hitler. He was responsible for the Norwegian campaign, the disaster in Greece that extended the Middle East war by 2 years. His Far East policy was catastrophic. If he’d had his way with fighter squadrons to France in 1940, the Battle of Britain would have been lost before it began.

He chucked Harris under the bus at the end of the war. He authorised Tom Phillips, an incompetent admiral, to take Force Z to Singapore and lost both ships, the campaign in Italy that was a huge waste of lives. Just a few examples. Churchill had a nasty habit of placing the blame and looking for culprits (other than himself).

He was responsible for the Gallipoli campaign in WW1 and indeed the battle of Coronel in 1914. He was a useless Chancellor, a turncoat on political parties, an inaccurate historian and basically an old Victorian. Universal suffrage? He voted against it.

To compare Churchill with Johnson (in Johnson’s head, probably) is pathetic. Churchill is a giant of history. Johnson will be remembered as a pigmy. A man as about as unfit for high office as it’s possible to get. A fraud and a failure. A coward of a man who didn’t care about anything other than himself.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024