Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just got my first ever speeding ticket... 12:15 - Jan 15 with 3634 viewsBent_double

after more than 30 years of driving....woohoo.

58 in a 50mph, so hopefully I'll be offered one of those speed awareness courses instead of 3 points. Apparently these can be done on-line at the moment, anyone know if that's right?

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Just got my first ever speeding ticket... on 14:54 - Jan 15 with 1139 viewsBent_double

Just got my first ever speeding ticket... on 14:43 - Jan 15 by Trequartista

You get 10% + 2 allowance so 58 is the lowest you will be prosecuted for, so would imagine it easily qualifies for speed awareness course.

Probably not worth contesting it, but I thought I was doing no more than 55 at the time, I think the speedo on the car is 2 or 3 miles out, ie showing a higher speed than I'm actually doing.

Just got my first ever speeding ticket... on 14:58 - Jan 15 with 1135 viewsPinewoodblue

Just got my first ever speeding ticket... on 14:13 - Jan 15 by clive_baker

The course means you don’t pay the fine though. The choice is course +£90 or 3 points +£100. So it’s cheaper before you even consider insurance premium.

I guess most people who opt not to do the course can’t be bothered to do it. I would’ve needed a half day for it so I refused it and took the points instead. Agree it’s a bit risky, especially incase you get done again.

It took me 49 years to get my first ticket, one speeding alone doesn’t impact on your insurance premium, although it might if you have other adverse factors such as a claims record .

Don’t have the patience to sit through the course listening to other attendees moaning. Did you know that if you attend and don’t take it seriously you can still get a summons be fined and pick up points.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Just got my first ever speeding ticket... on 15:06 - Jan 15 with 1122 viewsTrequartista

Just got my first ever speeding ticket... on 14:54 - Jan 15 by Bent_double

Probably not worth contesting it, but I thought I was doing no more than 55 at the time, I think the speedo on the car is 2 or 3 miles out, ie showing a higher speed than I'm actually doing.

Yes the speedo should be showing 2 or 3 miles higher than what you are really doing, but that would mean the speedo would have been on about 60.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Just got my first ever speeding ticket... on 16:29 - Jan 15 with 1079 viewsTampa_Florida_Blue

Just got my first ever speeding ticket... on 13:55 - Jan 15 by gainsboroughblue

Doesn't the ticket have to arrive within 14 days otherwise it can be disregarded?

You can disregard them when ever you want to, but that dont mean you wont pay a higher price when they catch up with you.
Just got my first ever speeding ticket... on 16:36 - Jan 15 with 1072 viewsgainsboroughblue

Just got my first ever speeding ticket... on 16:29 - Jan 15 by Tampa_Florida_Blue

You can disregard them when ever you want to, but that dont mean you wont pay a higher price when they catch up with you.

Maybe disregard was the wrong word. I basically meant that if you haven't had anything after two weeks since the event, they can't enforce the fine.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Just got my first ever speeding ticket... on 19:49 - Jan 15 with 1033 viewsuppersirbob

I done a speed aware course online last year via zoom
It's just sit there for a couple of hours
They get you to write some answers down on paper and get you to show the answers etc
Nothing to worry about Tho
Just look interested lol
Just got my first ever speeding ticket... on 20:01 - Jan 15 with 1028 viewsWakh

Just got my first ever speeding ticket... on 13:16 - Jan 15 by gtsb1966

How long does it take for the ticket to come through. I got flashed by a road side camera in Shenfield on 22/12 doing 35 in a 30. Nothing has come through yet.

Would say you have got away with it. Its usually 14-days but ok there was Christmas in that.

Not sure they would have you for that. My understanding is that Suffolk Police tolerance is 10% plus 2mph.
Just got my first ever speeding ticket... on 20:11 - Jan 15 with 1021 viewsZXBlue

Just got my first ever speeding ticket... on 14:45 - Jan 15 by Trequartista

Whatever you do don't drive in Chelmsford near the railway station. If you've never heard of a "bus gate" before you will soon find out.

id take the three points. Makes litle difference and doesnt eat your time. Time is precious.
Login to get fewer ads

Just got my first ever speeding ticket... on 20:11 - Jan 15 with 1020 viewsZXBlue

Just got my first ever speeding ticket... on 13:35 - Jan 15 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Generally within 14 days.

if its not 14 days, they cannot proceed.
Just got my first ever speeding ticket... on 20:23 - Jan 15 with 1012 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Just got my first ever speeding ticket... on 13:08 - Jan 15 by clive_baker

That’s remarkable, assuming you venture far in your motor rather than pottering around villages.

I lost count of the number of fines I got, especially in London. Haven’t had too many speeding points though, only caught twice in 15 odd years of driving. There have been times where I’ve done less miles such as when I was at university where at one point I didn’t have or need a car, but others where I’ve done loads. I would imagine I’m close to 250,000 all in, so not too bad a result.

Similar mate. Living and driving in London it’s basically impossible to avoid getting them fairly regularly!
Just got my first ever speeding ticket... on 21:09 - Jan 15 with 994 viewsBluespeed225

Yup, I did one, got a ticket for doing 37mph coming up Foxhall Road from the Nuffield bend, mobile trap in a van got me. Fair enough, but it’s a very funny bit of road, just as you get on the flat bit at the top of the hill. Good pic though, even got my Jack Russell in the shot who was harnessed in her booster seat!😂
Just got my first ever speeding ticket... on 08:51 - Jan 16 with 915 viewssolomon

It’s a real pain as it’s not an intentional over speed (most cases are unintentional I’d assume) more due care and attention, we’ve all done it, of course this will be eradicated in the future with speed limit assist functions on most vehicles to prevent this. Hopefully you can just get the course done and dusted. Even if you only have a speed limiter on your vehicle it’s well worth setting to the speed limit wherever you can.
Just got my first ever speeding ticket... on 09:47 - Jan 16 with 889 viewsstrikalite

Just got my first ever speeding ticket... on 20:01 - Jan 15 by Wakh

Would say you have got away with it. Its usually 14-days but ok there was Christmas in that.

Not sure they would have you for that. My understanding is that Suffolk Police tolerance is 10% plus 2mph.

I was doing 33 in a 30 and got a ticket, easy money isn't it....

Attended speed awareness court, asked the guy about what I also thought was a 10% tolerance and he said that's a thing of the past now, these speedos are far more accurate as opposed to back in the day when the needle would flicker somewhat...
Just got my first ever speeding ticket... on 21:13 - Jan 28 with 753 viewsBent_double

Got notification of my punishment:

take 3 points and pay £100 fine

or

pay for a driver 'education' course, either on-line or at my nearest location, which is......

Norwich City FC

It's like I'm being punished twice.

Just got my first ever speeding ticket... on 11:13 - Jan 29 with 605 viewsMerseyBlue

Just got my first ever speeding ticket... on 21:13 - Jan 28 by Bent_double

Got notification of my punishment:

take 3 points and pay £100 fine

or

pay for a driver 'education' course, either on-line or at my nearest location, which is......

Norwich City FC

It's like I'm being punished twice.

The only time I've ever been caught speeding was on the Norfolk Road - I was on my way out so I think it was justified myself but hey ho.

In all seriousness my situation was about the same as yours, clocked at 58 or 59 in a 50. I was pretty adamant that there was no mention of it being a 50 near this particular roundabout, particularly as I was in a block of traffic all going the same speed. Still not really sure I was actually speeding on this occasion but there you go.

On the day I had my speed awareness course I woke up with a brutal case of the runs. I looked like I had been on a 4 week bender with Pete Doherty so I told the guy I had the runs in case he thought I was on drugs. I ended up sitting on my own at the back of the room, laughing at the terrible excuses people were giving for speeding, before having to rush off to the bathroom. It was a long day but I did get a nice pen out of it.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

Just got my first ever speeding ticket... on 07:46 - Jan 30 with 534 viewsbluejacko

Just got my first ever speeding ticket... on 14:43 - Jan 15 by Trequartista

You get 10% + 2 allowance so 58 is the lowest you will be prosecuted for, so would imagine it easily qualifies for speed awareness course.

That’s not quite correct,it used to be the case when your speedo was a cable but now it is digital there is no room for error they say!
However your speedo is set by the car manufacturers to actually show your speed as 3mph over your actual speed. This is to protect any claim against them for saying the speedo was wrong.
Hence you sat Navy will say 67 but your car will say 70.
Just got my first ever speeding ticket... on 08:30 - Jan 30 with 514 viewsdickie

Just got my first ever speeding ticket... on 19:49 - Jan 15 by uppersirbob

I done a speed aware course online last year via zoom
It's just sit there for a couple of hours
They get you to write some answers down on paper and get you to show the answers etc
Nothing to worry about Tho
Just look interested lol

Definitely look interested. I was on a course last year and a guy kept taking work calls, after 3 warnings he got booted off. He'd have paid the £100 to be on the course then would've got a fine and 3 points as well - dumb ass!
Just got my first ever speeding ticket... on 08:30 - Jan 30 with 514 viewstownblue

Just got my first ever speeding ticket... on 12:55 - Jan 15 by oldburian

I passed my driving test 60 years ago and just before Christmas found myself in a Colchester bus lane. A £30 fine, my first in those 60 years. Nothing, even a parking fine, before.

I drove in a bus lane in Cambridge. I emailed them after getting the fine to apologise and say it was a mistake as was going to make a left turn further down and went too early and they let me off as I had no previous offences.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024