Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What’s McKenna on about?!!!! 17:46 - Jan 15 with 3637 viewsbrazil1981

Dominated the 2nd half apparently…no mate we didn’t!!!
What’s McKenna on about?!!!! on 17:47 - Jan 15 with 2790 viewsFightingEssex

He’s not going to go out there and say we were bad.

Poll: Next Ipswich Town manager?

What’s McKenna on about?!!!! on 17:48 - Jan 15 with 2759 viewsMetal_Hacker

Chill out

Poll: If it were one or the other

What’s McKenna on about?!!!! on 17:48 - Jan 15 with 2760 viewsScuzzer

Look at the stats. He is correct.

Established 1968

What’s McKenna on about?!!!! on 17:49 - Jan 15 with 2756 viewsChurchman

At least he’s not said he’s the Demolition Man Mk2
What’s McKenna on about?!!!! on 17:51 - Jan 15 with 2695 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Only listened on the radio but it sounded like we had good amount of possession but they had all the best chances.

I am sure he will be less damning of his players in public than our last two incumbents were. I seem to recall sometimes questioning MM's judgment on that sort of comment. As long as he is realistic in his analysis with his players and coaches in private.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Hmmmm… I have really liked McKennas words and insights to date… BUT on 17:52 - Jan 15 with 2681 viewsunstableblue

… he was way way off the mark there

Bolton I thought were on top in that second half… barring our rally after going 2 down

Also he seemed to state he was happy with the individual performances, where in fact that was the problem

Stats are a little meaningless in that particular game… corners were won outside of the box, and then they were very poor from evans

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

What’s McKenna on about?!!!! on 17:54 - Jan 15 with 2646 viewsjayessess

Wouldn't go as far as "dominated", but Bolton have scored from their first shot of the half, haven't they?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

What’s McKenna on about?!!!! on 17:57 - Jan 15 with 2617 viewshomer_123

What’s McKenna on about?!!!! on 17:51 - Jan 15 by Nthsuffolkblue

Only listened on the radio but it sounded like we had good amount of possession but they had all the best chances.

I am sure he will be less damning of his players in public than our last two incumbents were. I seem to recall sometimes questioning MM's judgment on that sort of comment. As long as he is realistic in his analysis with his players and coaches in private.

As I've always said...I really don't care what managers say...more interested in what happens on the pitch.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Login to get fewer ads

What’s McKenna on about?!!!! on 17:57 - Jan 15 with 2595 viewshomer_123

What’s McKenna on about?!!!! on 17:57 - Jan 15 by homer_123

As I've always said...I really don't care what managers say...more interested in what happens on the pitch.

Ah...was not meant to reply here...apols. meant for unstables reply.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Hmmmm… I have really liked McKennas words and insights to date… BUT on 18:03 - Jan 15 with 2504 viewsjayessess

Hmmmm… I have really liked McKennas words and insights to date… BUT on 17:52 - Jan 15 by unstableblue

Bolton I thought were on top in that second half… barring our rally after going 2 down

Also he seemed to state he was happy with the individual performances, where in fact that was the problem

Stats are a little meaningless in that particular game… corners were won outside of the box, and then they were very poor from evans

We weren't very threatening in possession second half, but the idea that Bolton were "on top" is a real stretch. They created very little beyond the half chance that led to their first.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

What’s McKenna on about?!!!! on 09:25 - Jan 16 with 1963 viewsArnieM

Pity you can’t get hold of one of those “possession in area “ on a pitch graph. Yes we did have lots of possession, but as I’ve said elsewhere, it was mostly ( I felt ) in our own half . Hardly going to score a goal with that meaningless possession stat.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Hmmmm… I have really liked McKennas words and insights to date… BUT on 09:28 - Jan 16 with 1937 viewsPhilTWTD

Hmmmm… I have really liked McKennas words and insights to date… BUT on 17:52 - Jan 15 by unstableblue

Really surprised you'd say that, I didn't think Bolton showed much in the second half until the goal. We had all the ball but without being able to create anything.
What’s McKenna on about?!!!! on 09:39 - Jan 16 with 1867 viewssaffers12

Possession and chance we did but not in their territory enough
What’s McKenna on about?!!!! on 09:43 - Jan 16 with 1842 viewskpblues

What’s McKenna on about?!!!! on 09:25 - Jan 16 by ArnieM

Pity you can’t get hold of one of those “possession in area “ on a pitch graph. Yes we did have lots of possession, but as I’ve said elsewhere, it was mostly ( I felt ) in our own half . Hardly going to score a goal with that meaningless possession stat.

I agree ArnieM. The overall possession stat to me has always been misleading.

The stat I would like to see is possession in the oppositions half !

Hope we don't go back to having lots of possession and safe but meaningless passes.

I'm sure these players have got more to them than that.

Poll: Do you want Ipswich to be a city?

Hmmmm… I have really liked McKennas words and insights to date… BUT on 09:56 - Jan 16 with 1797 viewsunstableblue

Hmmmm… I have really liked McKennas words and insights to date… BUT on 09:28 - Jan 16 by PhilTWTD

Really surprised you'd say that, I didn't think Bolton showed much in the second half until the goal. We had all the ball but without being able to create anything.

Thought Andy Warren nailed the game here:

“Disjointed Blues beaten for first time under McKenna: Wanderers had lost their five previous games, heading into this clash, but the Blues faded after a bright start as the hosts took control of the contest as they punished sloppy Ipswich moments to ultimately claim the points.”

Second half we had lots of possession but we really were disjointed and error strewn and there was a real lack of belief, intent and energy to get a goal. Better once Celina and Chaplin came on.

But I think McKenna is giving the performance and players too much credit.

We just didn’t open them up, were not aggressive enough, and bar Wolfendens header didn’t carve out the same level of chances as them.

I’ve fully taken off the blue goggles after Charlton Phil…. !! Going to tell it how it is

Disjointed team

Hmmmm… I have really liked McKennas words and insights to date… BUT on 10:36 - Jan 16 with 1695 viewsOsborneOneNil

Hmmmm… I have really liked McKennas words and insights to date… BUT on 09:56 - Jan 16 by unstableblue

“Disjointed Blues beaten for first time under McKenna: Wanderers had lost their five previous games, heading into this clash, but the Blues faded after a bright start as the hosts took control of the contest as they punished sloppy Ipswich moments to ultimately claim the points.”

Second half we had lots of possession but we really were disjointed and error strewn and there was a real lack of belief, intent and energy to get a goal. Better once Celina and Chaplin came on.

We just didn’t open them up, were not aggressive enough, and bar Wolfendens header didn’t carve out the same level of chances as them.

I’ve fully taken off the blue goggles after Charlton Phil…. !! Going to tell it how it is

Disjointed team

So, not awful but definitely an off day/below par performance. Their 2 goals both errors on our part.

Let’s crack on and enjoy the new manager.
Hmmmm… I have really liked McKennas words and insights to date… BUT on 10:37 - Jan 16 with 1692 viewsunstableblue

Hmmmm… I have really liked McKennas words and insights to date… BUT on 18:03 - Jan 15 by jayessess

We weren't very threatening in possession second half, but the idea that Bolton were "on top" is a real stretch. They created very little beyond the half chance that led to their first.

McKenna also thinks we were on top second half

But in reality we were just passing around quite loosely and ineffectively

Agree Bolton’s best two (golden) chances we’re in the first half

But check out their first goal… disjointed deep in their half, then they put on a proper attack stretching us all over the place with pace

We had none of that

It wasn’t a woeful performance

But evans woeful and wasteful set pieces and longer distribution summed up why we weren’t on top

But that’s just my opinion… and my point was McKenna didn’t capture how poor some of the performances were… I’d consider ways of getting Chaplin, KVY and Celina into the team after that

And finally Mathis the Jonah made one KEY point Norwood and Bonne were completely disconnected and caused so little trouble… bonne huffed and puffed but was ineffective

What’s McKenna on about?!!!! on 10:39 - Jan 16 with 1674 viewsbilllm

Watched the game, I think he's correct, goalkeeping error and defender error, we had enough corners and play in there box,
Hmmmm… I have really liked McKennas words and insights to date… BUT on 10:51 - Jan 16 with 1636 viewsPhilTWTD

Hmmmm… I have really liked McKennas words and insights to date… BUT on 09:56 - Jan 16 by unstableblue

Disjointed team

Disjointed in the spell before half-time when I thought the players tried to force the issue rather than keeping doing what they were doing and remaining patient, but I thought we were in control of the game in the second half even if there was a lot of possession without finding a way through. Bolton goal really did come out of nothing, even if I thought they'd looked a threat when in and around the area all afternoon. And prior to the second one we'd had a couple of chances which we ought to have done better with.
Hmmmm… I have really liked McKennas words and insights to date… BUT on 10:54 - Jan 16 with 1625 viewsMullet

Disjointed team

Are you starting after this post then?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

What’s McKenna on about?!!!! on 10:55 - Jan 16 with 1618 viewsBlueRaider

We did from where I was standing, Bolton basically scored with their first attack of the half

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

Hmmmm… I have really liked McKennas words and insights to date… BUT on 10:56 - Jan 16 with 1613 viewsMullet

Hmmmm… I have really liked McKennas words and insights to date… BUT on 10:51 - Jan 16 by PhilTWTD

Disjointed in the spell before half-time when I thought the players tried to force the issue rather than keeping doing what they were doing and remaining patient, but I thought we were in control of the game in the second half even if there was a lot of possession without finding a way through. Bolton goal really did come out of nothing, even if I thought they'd looked a threat when in and around the area all afternoon. And prior to the second one we'd had a couple of chances which we ought to have done better with.

Had Charles not had a 50p head or the greed to shoot when Bakayoko had a tap in in the first half we could have been well out of it from nothing but slack defending. Really odd game

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Hmmmm… I have really liked McKennas words and insights to date… BUT on 10:57 - Jan 16 with 1603 viewsunstableblue

Hmmmm… I have really liked McKennas words and insights to date… BUT on 10:51 - Jan 16 by PhilTWTD

From Bolton Evening News:

“Having absorbed some pressure, Bolton finally snatched a chance to take the lead, Lee poking home from eight yards out after Morley’s initial shot had been saved by Walton.

Afolayan — by then on for Charles — scored his first league goal since October, seizing on a poor pass from Edmundson to drill past Walton.

Ipswich had a few half-chances to try and get back into it — Luke Woolfenden heading straight at Trafford from close range. The Manchester City stopper also showed some guts to dive at Macauley Bonne’s feet as he looked to pounce on Wes Burns’s right-wing cross.

But Wanderers deserved the points with what was their most organised and clinical performance for some time.”

Easily absorbed pressure; few half chances; Bolton deserved with an organised display. That’s fair.

Hmmmm… I have really liked McKennas words and insights to date… BUT on 10:57 - Jan 16 with 1600 viewstractorboy1978

Hmmmm… I have really liked McKennas words and insights to date… BUT on 10:37 - Jan 16 by unstableblue

McKenna also thinks we were on top second half

But in reality we were just passing around quite loosely and ineffectively

Agree Bolton’s best two (golden) chances we’re in the first half

But check out their first goal… disjointed deep in their half, then they put on a proper attack stretching us all over the place with pace

We had none of that

It wasn’t a woeful performance

But evans woeful and wasteful set pieces and longer distribution summed up why we weren’t on top

But that’s just my opinion… and my point was McKenna didn’t capture how poor some of the performances were… I’d consider ways of getting Chaplin, KVY and Celina into the team after that

And finally Mathis the Jonah made one KEY point Norwood and Bonne were completely disconnected and caused so little trouble… bonne huffed and puffed but was ineffective

What did you expect him to say? 'X, Y and Z were crap today'? Surprised so many people continue to put such credence in a manager's post match comments after a defeat. I'm sure behind closed doors there were a few words said about certain aspects of the performance.
Hmmmm… I have really liked McKennas words and insights to date… BUT on 11:01 - Jan 16 with 1576 viewsunstableblue

Hmmmm… I have really liked McKennas words and insights to date… BUT on 10:54 - Jan 16 by Mullet

Are you starting after this post then?

Just got back by Mullet 15 Jan 2022 18:11
We weren’t very good. It was bloody cold again.

Pretty easy to lay into Edmundson who has been one of our best this season. But only Woolfenden defended with any credit today and he nearly gave one away too. Donacien looked great in a couple of moves but passed to a White shirt more than once inexplicably.

I’m no Penney fan, but I hope today was KVY becoming our LWB, it’s so frustrating watching Penney get beat so many times per game because he can do good things going forward. But our passing was too intricate and too casual all day and that did us.

Arguably this was the first time someone did their homework on McKenna as they totally negated our midfield and isolated our outlets too often. Walton must hate playing these lot as noons in front of him turns up it seems.

Interesting subs and strange we we’re losing out physically and Piggott didn’t appear especially when Norwood got another needless booking, then Burns did too. Big chance to see what the prodigal boss is made of now. That’s about the biggest positive from an afternoon of sh1t. No wonder the Trotters walked all over us.

Agreed with your match summation; which aligns with what I’m saying in these posts.

So why the dig!?

I’m fully backing McKenna; and already feel he’s more tactically astute than Cook, or at least flexible. But anyone giving that performance more credit than it deserves is misguided.

But that’s just my view on a football forum.

Accrington game - which will be tough - will tell us more!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024