Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
At least you get the feeling... 19:27 - Jan 15 with 2164 viewsOriginalMarkyP

(well I do anyway, can't speak for the rest of you)...that they will seriously sit down and look at the reasons why we didn't play to our levels today and actually do something about it before Accrington.

My thought was that we had possession but didn't move the ball fast enough, and thus didn't create enough chances.

Felt Norwood and Bonne were too far apart for much of the game so posed less of a threat.

Also there weren't that many chances.

We should have pressured their keeper more, felt we needed to convert one of their losses of possession when they played out from the back in the first half into a goal.

Performance lacked a little energy too and we fell into the trap of going backwards to often. Ball always seemed to end up with Penney and he was hesitatin when their player kept rushing him and closing him down.

It wasn't a disaster and fair to say that fine margins and it could've been different. Better against STANLEY hopefully.

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

At least you get the feeling... on 19:37 - Jan 15 with 2093 viewsArnieM

Let’s cut to the chase shall we…..

….Just is it with this pitta patta football in and around our own box ffs?.

It creates
ZERO pressure on the opponents defence
ZERO shots on the opponents goal
ZERO chances for our strikers to score a goal.

But it does create an opportunity for the opposition to score against us .

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

At least you get the feeling... on 19:40 - Jan 15 with 2079 viewsOriginalMarkyP

At least you get the feeling... on 19:37 - Jan 15 by ArnieM

It creates

Agree on that.

McKenna said he wants us to play football in the oppoent's half.

We didn't do that well enough or often enough today.

But I believe it will be sorted by Accrington.

At least you get the feeling... on 19:49 - Jan 15 with 2034 viewsArnieM

At least you get the feeling... on 19:40 - Jan 15 by OriginalMarkyP

Agree on that.

McKenna said he wants us to play football in the oppoent's half.

We didn't do that well enough or often enough today.

But I believe it will be sorted by Accrington.

I wish I had your optimism. We just stopped doing the things MCK had drummed into them since he took over the job from cook. The one thing it will have done potentially, is made up MCK mind about certain players he wants ….or doesn’t want, going forward.

You can see where Cook (and Lambert alluded to also ) were both coming from when they said. Our inconsistency is our consistency. So if we have changed the squad…. Changed the manager 3 times in less than 12 months, and built an infrastructure , why is it STILL happening?

As has often been said …it’s the hope that kills you.

At least you get the feeling... on 19:53 - Jan 15 with 2015 viewsOriginalMarkyP

At least you get the feeling... on 19:49 - Jan 15 by ArnieM

I wish I had your optimism. We just stopped doing the things MCK had drummed into them since he took over the job from cook. The one thing it will have done potentially, is made up MCK mind about certain players he wants ….or doesn’t want, going forward.

You can see where Cook (and Lambert alluded to also ) were both coming from when they said. Our inconsistency is our consistency. So if we have changed the squad…. Changed the manager 3 times in less than 12 months, and built an infrastructure , why is it STILL happening?

First below par performance in 4 games, so try not to get too down hearted just yet.

It's a big ask for KMcK to get this lot to the playoffs but I do believe with him in charge there will be more performances like Gillingham than like this.

Still early days, let's see!

At least you get the feeling... on 19:54 - Jan 15 with 2004 viewsArnieM

At least you get the feeling... on 19:53 - Jan 15 by OriginalMarkyP

First below par performance in 4 games, so try not to get too down hearted just yet.

It's a big ask for KMcK to get this lot to the playoffs but I do believe with him in charge there will be more performances like Gillingham than like this.

Fingers firmly crossed and tin hat on.

At least you get the feeling... on 19:54 - Jan 15 with 2007 viewsfooters

Because it's football and sometimes you don't play well or win?

And can you expand any more on this McKenna's 'laid back' approach that you feel has sunk into the players?

Cheers

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

At least you get the feeling... on 19:57 - Jan 15 with 1996 viewsNthsuffolkblue

At least you get the feeling... on 19:37 - Jan 15 by ArnieM

It creates

I didn't watch today but saw the previous two and we were not doing this in those matches. Any time the ball went backwards the next pass was forwards or switched play and with purpose (not just back and forth between defence and midfield). The radio certainly said that Norwood and Bonne were too far apart.

It is important they analyse this and improve but I also think McKenna will look to work on what is needed for Accrington than worrying about what is now gone. If we can keep averaging 2 points per game for the rest of the season we will have done well and it won't be far away from what is needed for the play offs.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

At least you get the feeling... on 20:40 - Jan 15 with 1870 viewsKeaneish

At least you get the feeling... on 19:53 - Jan 15 by OriginalMarkyP

Objection. Although we got the win, the second half against Wycombe was absolutely dire. I couldn’t go today but from the unanimous views on here, it wasn’t great so it’s been a real mixed bag from McKenna so far.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Login to get fewer ads

At least you get the feeling... on 20:52 - Jan 15 with 1822 viewspointofblue

At least you get the feeling... on 20:40 - Jan 15 by Keaneish

Objection. Although we got the win, the second half against Wycombe was absolutely dire. I couldn’t go today but from the unanimous views on here, it wasn’t great so it’s been a real mixed bag from McKenna so far.

I enjoyed, in a manner of speaking, the second half against Wycombe - not because it was a swashbuckling display of attacking football but because we were starting to be put under pressure, switched things around, and managed the game once again. It was something we rarely saw, if ever, under Cook; if we were under pressure it stayed that way.

What's disappointing about today is we never found another level, at least not until it was too late.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

At least you get the feeling... on 21:45 - Jan 15 with 1691 viewsChurchman

When you cut out the peripheral stuff like managers, coaches, tictacs, tactics, you name it, it comes down to the players. Lesser teams and lesser players are inconsistent, especially lower league ones.

3 managers and a bus load of coaches? Well Lambert picked up player after player to leave a poor, unfit, bloated squad. Cook replaced most of them but did it by hurling players together and hoping for the best. He didn’t do it very well. Did he put a balanced side together? Nope. Should he have done better? Yep. As I’ve said in another post, 5 pathetic managers in the last 6.

The new owners have been trying to put some structure in the club and KM now has a lot to do and a lot to learn in a short time. I don’t expect inconsistency to disappear any time soon.

Yes, it’s the hope that kills you. Fingers crossed KM knows what he’s doing. It’d make a change. In the long term I’m still hopeful.
At least you get the feeling... on 21:58 - Jan 15 with 1641 viewsjaykay

At least you get the feeling... on 19:54 - Jan 15 by footers

And can you expand any more on this McKenna's 'laid back' approach that you feel has sunk into the players?

Cheers

well the team did look a bit dishearten at rugby services but still had time to chat to supporters

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

At least you get the feeling... on 22:31 - Jan 15 with 1534 viewsOsborneOneNil

At least you get the feeling... on 20:40 - Jan 15 by Keaneish

I’m with you on many points bud, but it’s 3 games.
At least you get the feeling... on 01:51 - Jan 16 with 1399 viewsKropotkin123

Personally, I think today's loss was entirely down to Norwood. If he had scored three goals, we would have won.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

At least you get the feeling... on 08:50 - Jan 16 with 1162 viewsKeaneish

At least you get the feeling... on 22:31 - Jan 15 by OsborneOneNil

I’m with you on many points bud, but it’s 3 games.

Absolutely it’s neither a pro or anti McKenna slant, just an observation that we’ve seen three very different complexions so far: resilient, outstanding and questionable (the latter being judged on second hand information and the radio).

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

At least you get the feeling... on 09:12 - Jan 16 with 1112 viewsArnieM

At least you get the feeling... on 19:54 - Jan 15 by footers

Cheers

What I meant was McKenna comes across as very calm ( and laid back) in his approach since he’s been at the club. He’s never OTT always measured in his responses and not excitable. He gives the impression that if there was a fire in the building he’d be the one saying calmly , ok people form an orderly queue and walk slowly to to door . He might want to run , but he doesn’t .

So, for me anyway, Town yesterday continued to play the ball back and forth across the back , back to Walton, out to Edmundson or Woolfie , over the half way line, back to Edmundson/ Woolfie , sideways to Donacian , when we never really took the game to Bolton and attacked their full back. There was no urgency in our play, no real pressure despite the fact our strikers were waiting for the ball. It was as if the game was being played out for a nil nil - yet we were 1-0 down. Then to cap it all one of the countless passes backwards gets intercepted and they score the killer 2nd .

For me, we seemed to have slipped back into this pedestrian crab football that rarely got above a walking pace , like we didn’t have a care in the world ( as McKenna presents himself ) .

I’m NOT criticising McKenna, I’m saying the team played like his presents himself to the media . Unruffled, even mannered, not overly excitable etc… but actually yesterday that NEEDED to up the tempo , up the aggression, up the pressure, play the game in Bolton’s half . But we didn’t .

Not sure I’ve explained it very well but that’s what I meant anyway. Hope that’s helped .

At least you get the feeling... on 09:20 - Jan 16 with 1079 viewsArnieM

At least you get the feeling... on 21:45 - Jan 15 by Churchman

When you cut out the peripheral stuff like managers, coaches, tictacs, tactics, you name it, it comes down to the players. Lesser teams and lesser players are inconsistent, especially lower league ones.

3 managers and a bus load of coaches? Well Lambert picked up player after player to leave a poor, unfit, bloated squad. Cook replaced most of them but did it by hurling players together and hoping for the best. He didn’t do it very well. Did he put a balanced side together? Nope. Should he have done better? Yep. As I’ve said in another post, 5 pathetic managers in the last 6.

The new owners have been trying to put some structure in the club and KM now has a lot to do and a lot to learn in a short time. I don’t expect inconsistency to disappear any time soon.

Yes, it’s the hope that kills you. Fingers crossed KM knows what he’s doing. It’d make a change. In the long term I’m still hopeful.

I’d take that view 👍 and we have to accept it’s really going take another summer of squad tweaking . It’s interesting that McKenna speaks of player “profile” ( he indicated the defence post match). So I do wonder if he’s really speaking about the qualities we have in our current squad and if we will see a different back four / three next season?

This is definitely an ongoing nightmare as regards our ability to get out of this division. You do start to question if it will ever happen, as we are once again at the point almost of saying, “ that’s it for this season, we’ll rebuild in the summer and go again next year “ etc etc but I suppose we are in a different position within the club than we were this time last season .

At least you get the feeling... on 13:38 - Jan 16 with 926 viewsChurchman

At least you get the feeling... on 09:20 - Jan 16 by ArnieM

I’d take that view 👍 and we have to accept it’s really going take another summer of squad tweaking . It’s interesting that McKenna speaks of player “profile” ( he indicated the defence post match). So I do wonder if he’s really speaking about the qualities we have in our current squad and if we will see a different back four / three next season?

This is definitely an ongoing nightmare as regards our ability to get out of this division. You do start to question if it will ever happen, as we are once again at the point almost of saying, “ that’s it for this season, we’ll rebuild in the summer and go again next year “ etc etc but I suppose we are in a different position within the club than we were this time last season .

I think it’s different this time. The majority of players are better than the last two seasons and with the exception of Rotherham, we have competed with the better teams, which we rarely did under PL. we have much of a good team for this level and I don’t think there is anywhere near the work required this time last year, despite the league position.

The club is ‘growing’ again off the field, the support remains good and if the foundations are there we will go up the pyramid and quite quickly too.

I watched the Luton game yesterday. Yes, those teams are much better than us at the moment but the gap is not insurmountable.

The gloomy hat is in the cupboard and the happy hat is back on today.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024