Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A pretty chastening afternoon really 22:38 - Jan 15 with 2074 viewspatrickswell

Bolton dictated that game from about the 20 minute mark onwards. Both sides played pretty similar styles but Evatt has had 18 months to get his Bolton side working and McKenna’s had a month. The difference today was the intensity of Bolton’s play. Apart from that flurry of corners midway through the second half, we never looked like wresting control of the match from them. No-one played particularly badly, but only Woolfenden and Walton played to their A-game. Everyone else ranged from OK to anonymous. Even the fans were subdued, as though we were taken aback that Bolton’s ultras were next to us and unable to try and lift the team as a result.

The goal was coming, but like many I was looking to see how McKenna’s Ipswich would respond to adversity. What a shame Edmundson, who otherwise played well, had an immediate brain fart which effectively settled the match.

McKenna can be as experimental as he likes over these next 20 matches, because we won’t be making the top 6 (again). The moment there’s any sense of optimism or expectancy, this squad goes to pieces at the earliest possible opportunity.
A pretty chastening afternoon really on 22:44 - Jan 15 with 2030 viewschrismakin

I don't agree that he should be able to experiment for 20 games, the squad is there, he has everthing he needs to make a push and see what happens.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

A much more accurate summary of today on 22:44 - Jan 15 with 2034 viewsunstableblue

Bolton deserved the win

They weathered our first 20mins then took over and got their fans going.

They should have scored two in the first half and we flattered to deceive in the second half with no penetration.

And the game was peppered with mistakes, big ones like Edmundson and continuous ones from Evans.

But the key point you make is McKenna has only just begun and to get a system into this team.

We must have more players not being OK or anonymous against Accrington

But I have a bad feeling about that game.

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

A pretty chastening afternoon really on 22:51 - Jan 15 with 2007 viewspatrickswell

A pretty chastening afternoon really on 22:44 - Jan 15 by chrismakin

I don't agree that he should be able to experiment for 20 games, the squad is there, he has everthing he needs to make a push and see what happens.

I don’t want to use the word “free hit” but that squad has all the talent but none of the toughness. McKenna can at least use the rest of the season to try and get a system that works consistently while identifying who he wants to bring into that system from outside.
A pretty chastening afternoon really on 23:02 - Jan 15 with 1955 viewsChurchman

The squad isn’t there. It’s in the middle of L1 and has been all season.

I take then you think, possibly because you don’t like the look of the bloke, that he should have us immediately hammering everyone. I didn’t realise KM was meant to arrive with his own magic wand.
A pretty chastening afternoon really on 23:07 - Jan 15 with 1927 viewschrismakin

A pretty chastening afternoon really on 23:02 - Jan 15 by Churchman

I take then you think, possibly because you don’t like the look of the bloke, that he should have us immediately hammering everyone. I didn’t realise KM was meant to arrive with his own magic wand.

Giving it a go rather than experimenting for 20 games doesn't mean we have to hammer everyone no.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

A pretty chastening afternoon really on 02:53 - Jan 16 with 1777 viewsIllinoisblue

A pretty chastening afternoon really on 22:51 - Jan 15 by patrickswell

I don’t want to use the word “free hit” but that squad has all the talent but none of the toughness. McKenna can at least use the rest of the season to try and get a system that works consistently while identifying who he wants to bring into that system from outside.

No more free hits. No more acceptance of mediocrity. We should be aiming for the top six. End of story. No experimenting, no tweaking.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

A pretty chastening afternoon really on 08:01 - Jan 16 with 1642 viewsBlue_Heath

He has inherited Cook's mess and needs to bring in some players of his own, aside from the loanees the only Cook players Edmundson, Burns, Aluko, Chaplin and maybe Morsy are worth keeping and some of those might be bench players. Therefore, I don't believe we have the squad as it has consistently failed to perform.
A pretty chastening afternoon really on 08:17 - Jan 16 with 1597 viewsnoggin

A pretty chastening afternoon really on 08:01 - Jan 16 by Blue_Heath

He has inherited Cook's mess and needs to bring in some players of his own, aside from the loanees the only Cook players Edmundson, Burns, Aluko, Chaplin and maybe Morsy are worth keeping and some of those might be bench players. Therefore, I don't believe we have the squad as it has consistently failed to perform.

"He inherited Cook's mess", Cook inherited Lambert's mess, Lambert inherited Hurst's mess, Hurst inherited McCarthy's mess, McCarthy inherited Jewell's mess, Jewell inherited Keane's mess......

Welcome to ITFC.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Login to get fewer ads

A much more accurate summary of today on 08:26 - Jan 16 with 1569 viewsChrisd

A much more accurate summary of today on 22:44 - Jan 15 by unstableblue

Bolton deserved the win

They weathered our first 20mins then took over and got their fans going.

They should have scored two in the first half and we flattered to deceive in the second half with no penetration.

And the game was peppered with mistakes, big ones like Edmundson and continuous ones from Evans.

But the key point you make is McKenna has only just begun and to get a system into this team.

We must have more players not being OK or anonymous against Accrington

But I have a bad feeling about that game.

No doubt there will be plenty dismissing Accrington this week because quite frankly who are they?! However, they have shown, even with yesterday’s result against Sunderland, they are one of those horrible L1 sides that know their limitations, but play to their strengths. Coleman has done a great job there with the resources he has at his disposal. If we aren’t prepared to battle and fight against them, it could be another tough watch. They aren’t going to simply roll over and give us the points and we have no divine right to beat them either.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

A pretty chastening afternoon really on 09:23 - Jan 16 with 1454 viewspatrickswell

A pretty chastening afternoon really on 02:53 - Jan 16 by Illinoisblue

No more free hits. No more acceptance of mediocrity. We should be aiming for the top six. End of story. No experimenting, no tweaking.

In general, I agree with you, but we have a talented but flaky squad led by a rookie manager with substantial coaching experience. What football has given to us, it has also withheld from us.

I suspect what we'll see for the rest of the season will be something akin to Jim Magilton's first season in charge - days when it works and looks world beating followed by days when it doesn't and we have to go back to the drawing board.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2022 9:26]
A pretty chastening afternoon really on 09:47 - Jan 16 with 1395 viewschrismakin

A pretty chastening afternoon really on 09:23 - Jan 16 by patrickswell

In general, I agree with you, but we have a talented but flaky squad led by a rookie manager with substantial coaching experience. What football has given to us, it has also withheld from us.

I suspect what we'll see for the rest of the season will be something akin to Jim Magilton's first season in charge - days when it works and looks world beating followed by days when it doesn't and we have to go back to the drawing board.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2022 9:26]

So the football and the results won't be any different than under PC?

I'm surprised there's a feeling that KM gets a free pass to the end of season to then add to the squad to go again next season. At the moment it looks from afar PC got let go not due to results and performances but because he didn't like the people ashton brought in. That BTW is assumption and personal thought, happy enough for people not to agree.

But this season isn't dead. KM shouldn't be given a free pass with a squad that most managers in league 1 would dream of. It's down to KM to make it work.

A much more accurate summary of today on 10:02 - Jan 16 with 1377 viewsunstableblue

A much more accurate summary of today on 08:26 - Jan 16 by Chrisd

No doubt there will be plenty dismissing Accrington this week because quite frankly who are they?! However, they have shown, even with yesterday’s result against Sunderland, they are one of those horrible L1 sides that know their limitations, but play to their strengths. Coleman has done a great job there with the resources he has at his disposal. If we aren’t prepared to battle and fight against them, it could be another tough watch. They aren’t going to simply roll over and give us the points and we have no divine right to beat them either.

I think we’ll know a lot more about McKenna after Saturday

In part because the squad start to show the inconsistency, lack of intent and errors that have plagued it all season… we have had good performances like Wycombe/Gills before… then a Bolton type performance and then a number of poor results

If he can rally then again, get the press intended again, and open up Accrington then it’s a massive tick for him

But I expect it to be horrible on Saturday!

We’d be 5 points off the play offs if we’d beaten an ‘out of form’ Bolton and had some better zeal from the attacking five in that first 30mins

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

A pretty chastening afternoon really on 10:14 - Jan 16 with 1344 viewsDinnernotTea

Lack of trust yet again in players churning out win after win. Still not able to win 3 games in a row in the third tier which is completely unacceptable. The 19 Ashton & Cook brought in seem to lack character which you can't teach.

The fixtures fell perfect for these lot in January & February to really start a march. But by game 3 sees us 11th again. Pathetic.

Beware of The Ipswich Cabbages

A pretty chastening afternoon really on 10:16 - Jan 16 with 1334 viewspatrickswell

A pretty chastening afternoon really on 09:47 - Jan 16 by chrismakin

So the football and the results won't be any different than under PC?

I'm surprised there's a feeling that KM gets a free pass to the end of season to then add to the squad to go again next season. At the moment it looks from afar PC got let go not due to results and performances but because he didn't like the people ashton brought in. That BTW is assumption and personal thought, happy enough for people not to agree.

But this season isn't dead. KM shouldn't be given a free pass with a squad that most managers in league 1 would dream of. It's down to KM to make it work.

But McKenna can only do so much and this squad has consistently shown a tendency to get a nosebleed the minute expectation rises. Regardless of whether it’s an experienced manager like Cook or a newcomer like McKenna, this squad seems to have a mental block when it comes to displaying consistent levels of performance.
A pretty chastening afternoon really on 10:19 - Jan 16 with 1323 viewsKeaneish

A pretty chastening afternoon really on 23:02 - Jan 15 by Churchman

Your post reads like now Cook has gone, it’s the players who need blaming as the common denominator. A little too simplistic, no? McKenna doesn’t get a free hit. He has a half a season and a window! I assume that’s why the decision was made to get rid of Cook when we did to allow McK to assess the squad in December, afford what he wants in Jan with a view to making a go of a push given the nigh on 70 pts up for grabs when he took over.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

A pretty chastening afternoon really on 10:23 - Jan 16 with 1309 viewsblueislander

A pretty chastening afternoon really on 10:14 - Jan 16 by DinnernotTea

Lack of trust yet again in players churning out win after win. Still not able to win 3 games in a row in the third tier which is completely unacceptable. The 19 Ashton & Cook brought in seem to lack character which you can't teach.

The fixtures fell perfect for these lot in January & February to really start a march. But by game 3 sees us 11th again. Pathetic.

I didn’t see the game , just listened to the IFollow commentary, so I am quite prepared to be dismissed. However I do get the impression that there is a lot of overreaction to that defeat. From the commentary I got the impression that we dominated the first quarter of the match. They dominated the second quarter, but until they scored we were certainly not second best. Before they scored they had a couple of decent chances , but so did we. It is a disappointing result, and this squad is capable of much better as we have seen.
A pretty chastening afternoon really on 11:29 - Jan 16 with 1198 viewsbilllm

A pretty chastening afternoon really on 10:23 - Jan 16 by blueislander

I didn’t see the game , just listened to the IFollow commentary, so I am quite prepared to be dismissed. However I do get the impression that there is a lot of overreaction to that defeat. From the commentary I got the impression that we dominated the first quarter of the match. They dominated the second quarter, but until they scored we were certainly not second best. Before they scored they had a couple of decent chances , but so did we. It is a disappointing result, and this squad is capable of much better as we have seen.

I watched and saw it that way to,
A pretty chastening afternoon really on 11:47 - Jan 16 with 1177 viewsChurchman

A pretty chastening afternoon really on 10:19 - Jan 16 by Keaneish

Your post reads like now Cook has gone, it’s the players who need blaming as the common denominator. A little too simplistic, no? McKenna doesn’t get a free hit. He has a half a season and a window! I assume that’s why the decision was made to get rid of Cook when we did to allow McK to assess the squad in December, afford what he wants in Jan with a view to making a go of a push given the nigh on 70 pts up for grabs when he took over.

I am not blaming the players at all. They’re doing their best, seen from a massive distance a good bunch of lads and we are what we are. In terms of mix of characters is it right? There are far better people than me to answer that. Do we have good enough players in certain areas? Possibly not.

Not all of Cook’s recruits were going to be a success there’s of course work to be done on the team. McKenna was appointed 16th Dec. With Christmas in the way that’s not a huge amount of time to assess what the team needs and it could be argued that yesterday’s game will tell him more than the previous two or three games or the videos come to that.

January is not the best time to find players either and I firmly believe it’ll be Sept/ Oct next year before we know if he’s going to be successful. I would love to see us make a push in the last 20 games, but as a team we are not good enough currently to get results week in week out. Maybe McKenna will tweak it a bit, maybe strengthen a place or two to improve us because I don’t think we are a million miles off being a good team. The talent is there.

My wish for the rest of the season is that we improve on and off the field. That is no free hit; it’s not demolition man bomb squad rubbish either - just continuous, relentless improvement.

I’m disappointed with yesterday, pessimistic about our final league position but optimistic about the club’s future in a way I couldn’t have imagined a year ago.
A pretty chastening afternoon really on 11:56 - Jan 16 with 1162 viewschrismakin

A pretty chastening afternoon really on 11:47 - Jan 16 by Churchman

I am not blaming the players at all. They’re doing their best, seen from a massive distance a good bunch of lads and we are what we are. In terms of mix of characters is it right? There are far better people than me to answer that. Do we have good enough players in certain areas? Possibly not.

Not all of Cook’s recruits were going to be a success there’s of course work to be done on the team. McKenna was appointed 16th Dec. With Christmas in the way that’s not a huge amount of time to assess what the team needs and it could be argued that yesterday’s game will tell him more than the previous two or three games or the videos come to that.

January is not the best time to find players either and I firmly believe it’ll be Sept/ Oct next year before we know if he’s going to be successful. I would love to see us make a push in the last 20 games, but as a team we are not good enough currently to get results week in week out. Maybe McKenna will tweak it a bit, maybe strengthen a place or two to improve us because I don’t think we are a million miles off being a good team. The talent is there.

My wish for the rest of the season is that we improve on and off the field. That is no free hit; it’s not demolition man bomb squad rubbish either - just continuous, relentless improvement.

I’m disappointed with yesterday, pessimistic about our final league position but optimistic about the club’s future in a way I couldn’t have imagined a year ago.

This is where I find the KM appointment interesting.

If there expectation is not to finish top 6.. why get rid of PC if we are looking at just finishing the season, making tweaks to the squad and going for it next season. You can understand why he feels hard done by.

There's a lot of interesting views on the current situation. I've been surprised by the lack of questioning about the actual coaching set up when it was something brought up alot previously. ... even the media has asked when new staff are coming and so far we've got a manager, an assistant and an analysis coach.. what about the other coaches?.. now not saying its a negative as clearly the guys are coaches themselves.. but you'd thought there would been more movement on that front.

A pretty chastening afternoon really on 12:04 - Jan 16 with 1141 viewsBLUEGOLD

A pretty chastening afternoon really on 11:56 - Jan 16 by chrismakin

This is where I find the KM appointment interesting.

If there expectation is not to finish top 6.. why get rid of PC if we are looking at just finishing the season, making tweaks to the squad and going for it next season. You can understand why he feels hard done by.

There's a lot of interesting views on the current situation. I've been surprised by the lack of questioning about the actual coaching set up when it was something brought up alot previously. ... even the media has asked when new staff are coming and so far we've got a manager, an assistant and an analysis coach.. what about the other coaches?.. now not saying its a negative as clearly the guys are coaches themselves.. but you'd thought there would been more movement on that front.

We are 8 points from the play offs with 20 games to go.

It’s certainly not insurmountable and we have won 2 of his 3 games so far, one against Wycombe who are top and had 2 away games.

The next 3 are also interesting with 2 more away games and the one against Sheffield Weds looks like it will give us a good idea of where we are at.

If we win 2 of the next 3 we will be less than 8 points from 6th
A pretty chastening afternoon really on 12:11 - Jan 16 with 1115 viewschrismakin

A pretty chastening afternoon really on 12:04 - Jan 16 by BLUEGOLD

We are 8 points from the play offs with 20 games to go.

It’s certainly not insurmountable and we have won 2 of his 3 games so far, one against Wycombe who are top and had 2 away games.

The next 3 are also interesting with 2 more away games and the one against Sheffield Weds looks like it will give us a good idea of where we are at.

If we win 2 of the next 3 we will be less than 8 points from 6th

Indeed. That's why I'm surprised there's quite a few who are happy to write off the season to allow KM to decide who he wants and needs to then give it a go next season.

There's 20 games. Doesn't matter if he's new or not the target has to be 6th minimum.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024