Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
All covid restrictions to end on the 26th? 09:48 - Jan 16 with 3394 viewsgtsb1966

that's what is suggested on the news. Obviously the timing is Boris trying to save his skin but if the health experts are in agreement then good and life is returning to normality.
All covid restrictions to end on the 26th? on 10:14 - Jan 16 with 2749 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

I'll wait for the report.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

All covid restrictions to end on the 26th? on 10:16 - Jan 16 with 2744 viewsKeno

All covid restrictions to end on the 26th? on 10:14 - Jan 16 by You_Bloo_Right

I'll wait for the report.

time for a party?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

All covid restrictions to end on the 26th? on 10:32 - Jan 16 with 2716 viewsStokieBlue

That would be excellent if the experts agree, although as it stands there are barely any restrictions anyway. I'll continue wearing my mask on transport and in crowded spaces for the foreseeable future.

The "returning to normality" is an interesting debate. What is normality? Doesn't it evolve all the time? For instance, are we going back to 2019 for everything and thus no hybrid working or WFH and everyone back in the office? Are people going to go into work with a savage cough and spread it around? Are we going to revert to some employers having less understanding and empathy towards illness?

Or are we going to pick and choose what bits could work well going forward and that becomes "normality"?

SB
[Post edited 16 Jan 2022 10:32]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

All covid restrictions to end on the 26th? on 10:37 - Jan 16 with 2671 viewsgtsb1966

All covid restrictions to end on the 26th? on 10:32 - Jan 16 by StokieBlue

That would be excellent if the experts agree, although as it stands there are barely any restrictions anyway. I'll continue wearing my mask on transport and in crowded spaces for the foreseeable future.

The "returning to normality" is an interesting debate. What is normality? Doesn't it evolve all the time? For instance, are we going back to 2019 for everything and thus no hybrid working or WFH and everyone back in the office? Are people going to go into work with a savage cough and spread it around? Are we going to revert to some employers having less understanding and empathy towards illness?

Or are we going to pick and choose what bits could work well going forward and that becomes "normality"?

SB

The office is an interesting one. I have a mate who is an accountant. His company had two floors of office space but now only have one as people are now working from home and have been since the start of the pandemic. They have no intention of going back to two floors as they are happy for people to carry on working from home. The money they are saving is significant. I can see many more companies doing this.
All covid restrictions to end on the 26th? on 10:43 - Jan 16 with 2647 viewsGuthrum

SB

I believe there will be permanent changes. Some of them, like the emptying of city centres in favour of online and local shops, merely the acceleration of already existing trends.

It may have set back things like the push for public transport over driving. The debt incurred and taxes lost by governments could inhibit future climate change measures.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

All covid restrictions to end on the 26th? on 10:52 - Jan 16 with 2609 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

All covid restrictions to end on the 26th? on 10:37 - Jan 16 by gtsb1966

The office is an interesting one. I have a mate who is an accountant. His company had two floors of office space but now only have one as people are now working from home and have been since the start of the pandemic. They have no intention of going back to two floors as they are happy for people to carry on working from home. The money they are saving is significant. I can see many more companies doing this.

Well all these poor people being priced out of existence are going to have to live in little boxes somewhere....not sure they will have the work from home option either!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

All covid restrictions to end on the 26th? on 12:08 - Jan 16 with 2503 viewsVaughan8

SB

Totally agree with you. The "normal" of 2019 is not going to return straight away. People aren't suddenly going to all be back in the office.

Also agree that there are hardly and restrictions even present now? Just wearing amask in a few places?

Johnson has lost any respect from anyone i'm sure (Even though I saw on the news some people "forgave" him). How can he restrict anyone now?
All covid restrictions to end on the 26th? on 12:11 - Jan 16 with 2499 viewsCheltenham_Blue

All restrictions ended, and as a prediction, this’ll be followed rapidly by an announcement that the VAT and NI rates to be frozen for another year.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Login to get fewer ads

All covid restrictions to end on the 26th? on 12:18 - Jan 16 with 2475 viewssolomon

All covid restrictions to end on the 26th? on 10:43 - Jan 16 by Guthrum

I believe there will be permanent changes. Some of them, like the emptying of city centres in favour of online and local shops, merely the acceleration of already existing trends.

It may have set back things like the push for public transport over driving. The debt incurred and taxes lost by governments could inhibit future climate change measures.

Not to mention a shift in the acquisition of city center real estate for pension funds. That’s a pretty significant impact for lots of us. Good example is Goldman’s sale of Farringdon road before project completion to a South Korean pension fund and a lease back (in 2017) not sure if we will see that sort of investment in real estate without a real return to the office, working in London right now and seeing it like this is very unnerving indeed, it could cause huge ramifications for construction and construction services in the capital let alone every other city in the uk.
All covid restrictions to end on the 26th? on 12:21 - Jan 16 with 2461 viewsGlasgowBlue

And the numerous hospitality businesses who relied on office work trade.

Oh well what’s another few thousand bankruptcies and hundreds of thousands of redundancies?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

All covid restrictions to end on the 26th? on 13:19 - Jan 16 with 2348 viewssolomon

All covid restrictions to end on the 26th? on 12:21 - Jan 16 by GlasgowBlue

Oh well what’s another few thousand bankruptcies and hundreds of thousands of redundancies?

Just not sure people are entirely aware of what the impacts are? I’m
Currently staring down the barrel of potential redundancy as we have very little work.
All covid restrictions to end on the 26th? on 13:22 - Jan 16 with 2338 viewsHARRY10

Yes, it has given workers and employees practical experience of how this can work....for some.

For workers, it can mean two or three hours less spent in a train, and a short term bonus of saved train fares

For employers there is the huge cost of savings in rented office space, rent, insurance, utility bills etc, and the longer term saving on wages, wages will no have to take into account commute costs.

As to spending on green stuff, then we saw the myth of the 'magic money tree' - if the will is there, so will there be the money
All covid restrictions to end on the 26th? on 15:00 - Jan 16 with 2195 viewsallezlesbleus

All covid restrictions to end on the 26th? on 12:11 - Jan 16 by Cheltenham_Blue

All restrictions ended, and as a prediction, this’ll be followed rapidly by an announcement that the VAT and NI rates to be frozen for another year.

I believe NI rates are going up in April this year?????
All covid restrictions to end on the 26th? on 15:14 - Jan 16 with 2169 viewsHARRY10

All covid restrictions to end on the 26th? on 12:21 - Jan 16 by GlasgowBlue

I expect that was what was said when the combined harvester was introduced, along with the railway and the 'spinning jenny' when they were both introduced.

And I doubt the hypocrisy of a self proclaimed 'righties showing concern for workers has gone not unnoticed either.

Thousands having to endure a long commute when that time could be better spent with their partner, children etc - just so property funds do not lose out on their investments.
All covid restrictions to end on the 26th? on 16:23 - Jan 16 with 2083 viewsGuthrum

All covid restrictions to end on the 26th? on 13:22 - Jan 16 by HARRY10

Yes, it has given workers and employees practical experience of how this can work....for some.

For workers, it can mean two or three hours less spent in a train, and a short term bonus of saved train fares

For employers there is the huge cost of savings in rented office space, rent, insurance, utility bills etc, and the longer term saving on wages, wages will no have to take into account commute costs.

As to spending on green stuff, then we saw the myth of the 'magic money tree' - if the will is there, so will there be the money

But on the other hand, people whose main social contact was seeing people in the office, maybe going for drinks after work, all that has gone. Young people, sat in tiny bedsits, with jobs but suffering from isolation and loneliness. There's not even a vibrant city centre thay can go into for some fun.

I have spoken to people in that situation.

All covid restrictions to end on the 26th? on 16:29 - Jan 16 with 2073 viewsGuthrum

All covid restrictions to end on the 26th? on 15:14 - Jan 16 by HARRY10

I expect that was what was said when the combined harvester was introduced, along with the railway and the 'spinning jenny' when they were both introduced.

And I doubt the hypocrisy of a self proclaimed 'righties showing concern for workers has gone not unnoticed either.

Thousands having to endure a long commute when that time could be better spent with their partner, children etc - just so property funds do not lose out on their investments.

Yes, they led to considerable hardship, hunger and rioting. The railway shipped people from the poverty-stricken countryside to city slums and factory jobs.

I agree with your point about the property funds, but there is collateral damage that comes with that. It's perhaps more an issue that city centres have, partly through speculation, been allowed to become too expensive to be sustainable, particularly in the face of a crisis.

All covid restrictions to end on the 26th? on 16:29 - Jan 16 with 2077 viewsbluelagos

So the shift to working from home will have a couple of significant impacts imho. As well reduced office space and shift of some of that to residential living, the biggest issue for me will be the moving of jobs offshore.

So loads of customer facing tasks have shifted from offices to home. So I phone my insurance company and instead of speaking to someone in an office in Ipswich, I speak to the same person in their home office/living room.

Now tell me why that cant work with the person sitting in Budapest. Or India?

We have seen back offices moving overseas and call centres. The shift from office to disparate homes without significant dropping of service will surely make the off shoring of offices more likely in the coming months/years as companies look to save costs.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

All covid restrictions to end on the 26th? on 16:37 - Jan 16 with 2042 viewsgtsb1966

All covid restrictions to end on the 26th? on 16:23 - Jan 16 by Guthrum

But on the other hand, people whose main social contact was seeing people in the office, maybe going for drinks after work, all that has gone. Young people, sat in tiny bedsits, with jobs but suffering from isolation and loneliness. There's not even a vibrant city centre thay can go into for some fun.

I hadn't thought of the mental health aspect of all this to be honest until you posted this. It's worrying isn't it. I don't suppose it will help a lot of marriages either. I know for one I couldn't be with someone 24 hours a day.
All covid restrictions to end on the 26th? on 18:03 - Jan 16 with 1947 viewsTrequartista

I thought by the 26th we will have 8 million cases a day, doubling every 2 days and thousands of deaths due to omicron of which everything we know is bad?

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

All covid restrictions to end on the 26th? on 18:03 - Jan 16 with 1941 viewsElderGrizzly

All covid restrictions to end on the 26th? on 12:11 - Jan 16 by Cheltenham_Blue

All restrictions bar mask wearing apparently.

Being positioned by Boris as him ‘saving the UK economy and way of life’.

If he’s even PM by 26th of course
All covid restrictions to end on the 26th? on 19:24 - Jan 16 with 1850 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

All covid restrictions to end on the 26th? on 16:23 - Jan 16 by Guthrum

It’s not necessary an either/or in terms of working from home. This nuance seems to be frequently missed in the press.

In terms of my industry, and I suspect many others it will likely be working in the office for the majority of the time and from home some of the time (hybrid). Thus there will be still a susbstantial footfall in the cities when “normality” returns.

As an aside it will be interesting to see if we are expected to do as much international travel, or whether Zoom is the new norm.
All covid restrictions to end on the 26th? on 19:53 - Jan 16 with 1818 viewstextbackup

SB

people will absolutely milk it. cough or sniff.

used to be people prided themselves on not having sick days, i feel embarrassed, and as though i'm letting my team down, if i call in sick.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

All covid restrictions to end on the 26th? on 20:13 - Jan 16 with 1755 viewsMookamoo

All covid restrictions to end on the 26th? on 10:37 - Jan 16 by gtsb1966

I have a few clients who are never going to return the single office way. A couple have given up their space completely and most others have elective attendance policies. While so many are struggling to recruit and so many people wanting some sort of flexibility I can't see any return to the 9-5 commute.

My wife's department have recruited from all over the UK in order to fill positions. The person responsible for signposting any wellbeing services in Suffolk is based in Belfast. They are excellent it has to said as they have to keep learning not assuming historical services are still there.
All covid restrictions to end on the 26th? on 20:25 - Jan 16 with 1710 viewsTexaco73

All covid restrictions to end on the 26th? on 16:29 - Jan 16 by bluelagos

So the shift to working from home will have a couple of significant impacts imho. As well reduced office space and shift of some of that to residential living, the biggest issue for me will be the moving of jobs offshore.

So loads of customer facing tasks have shifted from offices to home. So I phone my insurance company and instead of speaking to someone in an office in Ipswich, I speak to the same person in their home office/living room.

Now tell me why that cant work with the person sitting in Budapest. Or India?

We have seen back offices moving overseas and call centres. The shift from office to disparate homes without significant dropping of service will surely make the off shoring of offices more likely in the coming months/years as companies look to save costs.

The flip to that of course, is that UK residents could take up remote working jobs for companies in other countries...
All covid restrictions to end on the 26th? on 20:33 - Jan 16 with 1683 viewsSarge

All covid restrictions to end on the 26th? on 19:53 - Jan 16 by textbackup

people will absolutely milk it. cough or sniff.

used to be people prided themselves on not having sick days, i feel embarrassed, and as though i'm letting my team down, if i call in sick.

Which is pretty ridiculous if you think about it. Being a martyr and coming in when you’re sick helps nobody and just increases the likelihood of more people being off sick.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024