Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wish me luck! 11:12 - Jan 17 with 840 viewsNthQldITFC

Just psyching myself up to go out for a 'starter' run. Not something I've done much over the years due to nervousness about whether my knees can handle it (too much footy in younger years), but I've done a lot of walking lately and a few little 'sprints' with nephews without too much grief.

Need to get a few pounds off, so I got myself a decent pair of running shoes and some courage. I'll try to limit myself a bit even if all feels good - if I don't post for a bit, you'll probably be able to find me down the knacker's yard. Been doing some stretches and psyching myself up. The muscles are strong, as is the will, just worried about the knees!

Here we go!

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Wish me luck! on 11:37 - Jan 17 with 782 viewsEJP

Good luck - getting out the door is the hardest part….
Wish me luck! on 11:37 - Jan 17 with 778 viewsNthQldITFC

Wish me luck! on 11:37 - Jan 17 by EJP

Good luck - getting out the door is the hardest part….

I know, especially when you're waiting for Walton confirmation (and looking for other excuses).

Wish me luck! on 11:40 - Jan 17 with 772 viewsSwansea_Blue

Good luck. Start off slowly (no more than 15-18 miles at 3 hour marathon pace) and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Any chance of bequeathing me your trainers? Mine are getting a bit tatty.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Wish me luck! on 13:25 - Jan 17 with 710 viewsNBVJohn

Just do it!

Almost exactly 4 years ago, I started off as you have, by building up walking into running and now regularly run in excess of 20 miles a week. Even on early cold mornings I have learned to love it. It has been transformational for me and I lost 3 stone.

Be prepared for setbacks and be patient with your body, push yourself a little too. Above all, the very best of luck, and I hope you find it as fulfilling as I do.

Get through the winter runs - running early on a Spring morning is awesome!
Wish me luck! on 13:28 - Jan 17 with 701 viewsNthQldITFC

I survived it! Knees fine (atm) but slight twinge in the quads. Thanks for the encouragement.

Probably did about two miles with maybe 30% of that walked, but it's a start.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2022 13:31]

Wish me luck! on 13:46 - Jan 17 with 651 viewsCharlie_pl_baxter

Wish me luck! on 13:28 - Jan 17 by NthQldITFC

I survived it! Knees fine (atm) but slight twinge in the quads. Thanks for the encouragement.

Well done! I started running a few years back having had dodgy knees. In my case it was cycling that really sorted them out.

Poll: We recruit two strikers, one has to be Bonne or Wickham, who would you have?

Wish me luck! on 13:53 - Jan 17 with 633 viewsNthQldITFC

Wish me luck! on 13:46 - Jan 17 by Charlie_pl_baxter

Well done! I started running a few years back having had dodgy knees. In my case it was cycling that really sorted them out.

Thanks, yeah. I do quite a lot of cycling as well, and have really built my leg muscles back up which I think means my knees aren't the problem they were a few years ago, but I don't seem to lose much weight on the bike for some reason. Probably because I cycle past too many chippies!

Wish me luck! on 14:53 - Jan 17 with 583 viewsSaleAway

Wish me luck! on 13:53 - Jan 17 by NthQldITFC

Thanks, yeah. I do quite a lot of cycling as well, and have really built my leg muscles back up which I think means my knees aren't the problem they were a few years ago, but I don't seem to lose much weight on the bike for some reason. Probably because I cycle past too many chippies!

Cycling past chippies isn't the problem... its the stopping...

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Login to get fewer ads

Wish me luck! on 16:38 - Jan 17 with 545 viewsSwansea_Blue

Wish me luck! on 13:28 - Jan 17 by NthQldITFC

Couch to 5k is a very good way to ease back into running as a regular habit. Highly recommended.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Wish me luck! on 17:21 - Jan 17 with 514 viewsmutters

I know it's not the same as throwing on a pair of shoes and out the door you go but have you considered swimming as an alternative? Excellent for all round body conditioning, also great for the old mental health and very kind on the body as fully supported.

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024