Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sky high inflation rates 14:53 - Jan 17 with 2426 viewsDubtractor

Why hasn't more been made of this by our media?

Current inflation levels are the highest in 10 years, soaring by the month, and will be costing UK residents a serious sum. Yet there doesn't seem to be much noise about it?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Sky high inflation rates on 14:54 - Jan 17 with 1838 viewshype313

Probably due to the fact that it hasn't as yet hit the pockets, give it a month or two, certainly into April and there will be huge uproar.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Sky high inflation rates on 14:59 - Jan 17 with 1787 viewsJ2BLUE

Food seems to have gone mental.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Sky high inflation rates on 15:01 - Jan 17 with 1781 viewsmylittletown

Because Brexit might be a playing a part in the rise in inflation and the lack of decent supply. Brexit cannot be questioned in most of our press.
Sky high inflation rates on 15:25 - Jan 17 with 1724 viewsIllinoisblue

Same over here. Food prices have shot up crazy amounts

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Sky high inflation rates on 15:30 - Jan 17 with 1707 viewshomer_123

What are peoples thoughts on interest rates over the next 2 or 3 years by homer_123 6 Jan 2022 10:58
Inflation going up and costs in general are rising....my thinking is interest rates could rise sharply - maybe to 3% or 4% or more in that time period, if inflation cannot be managed.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Sky high inflation rates on 15:31 - Jan 17 with 1712 viewsFreddies_Ears

Sky high inflation rates on 15:01 - Jan 17 by mylittletown

Because Brexit might be a playing a part in the rise in inflation and the lack of decent supply. Brexit cannot be questioned in most of our press.

The Daily Express ran this story a few weeks ago. Their take was that high inflation is good news, as people like to have more money in their pockets...
Worryingly, their readership probably agreed.
Sky high inflation rates on 15:33 - Jan 17 with 1695 viewshomer_123

Sky high inflation rates on 15:25 - Jan 17 by Illinoisblue

Many a moon ago, food used to account for a significantly higher proportion of your weekly budget.

The cost of food is so cheap but it has come at the expense of the environment and even more significantly we still have people going hungry. The amount of wastage of food, primarily driven by reduced costs, is criminal.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Sky high inflation rates on 15:39 - Jan 17 with 1656 viewspeterleeblue

I am hoping that once the proverbial Sh!t hits the fan in April the supermarkets will go on the offensive and try and capture the struggling families pound. They have largely been the main winner during the last 2 years, time to give a little back?
Login to get fewer ads

Sky high inflation rates on 16:32 - Jan 17 with 1501 viewsIllinoisblue

Sky high inflation rates on 15:33 - Jan 17 by homer_123

Many a moon ago, food used to account for a significantly higher proportion of your weekly budget.

The cost of food is so cheap but it has come at the expense of the environment and even more significantly we still have people going hungry. The amount of wastage of food, primarily driven by reduced costs, is criminal.

A very good point. Portion sizes in restaurants here are so ridiculous It’s standard practice to offer you a box to take home your leftovers. The waste is obscene.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Sky high inflation rates on 16:35 - Jan 17 with 1482 viewsDubtractor

Sky high inflation rates on 16:32 - Jan 17 by Illinoisblue

A very good point. Portion sizes in restaurants here are so ridiculous It’s standard practice to offer you a box to take home your leftovers. The waste is obscene.

Waste is my game, so to speak, and the amount of wasted food is astonishing.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.

Sky high inflation rates on 16:38 - Jan 17 with 1462 viewsWallingford_Boy

Second hand cars up 30%.

RIP Sir Bobby

Sky high inflation rates on 16:42 - Jan 17 with 1449 viewsOldFart71

Sky high inflation rates on 15:33 - Jan 17 by homer_123

I agree. But one of the things that annoys me most with just being myself and wife to cater for are the pack sizes/ Try buying potatoes in a small amount. You can buy potatoes for baking individually but supermarkets don't tend to have potatoes you boil or roast in small bags. Buy bread and the date for use by is only two or three days after you buy it. I like fruit, but if you are not careful when buying it you find some of the contents bad before you have a chance to eat it. Small is expensive, large is waste.
Sky high inflation rates on 17:00 - Jan 17 with 1395 viewshoppy

Sky high inflation rates on 16:42 - Jan 17 by OldFart71

I agree. But one of the things that annoys me most with just being myself and wife to cater for are the pack sizes/ Try buying potatoes in a small amount. You can buy potatoes for baking individually but supermarkets don't tend to have potatoes you boil or roast in small bags. Buy bread and the date for use by is only two or three days after you buy it. I like fruit, but if you are not careful when buying it you find some of the contents bad before you have a chance to eat it. Small is expensive, large is waste.

Your local greengrocer/market/farm shop would be better placed to sell you potatoes etc in smaller quantities than the supermarket. It might be a bit more expensive, but it's also keeping a local trader in business rather than adding to the massive profits of a big supermarket.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Sky high inflation rates on 17:38 - Jan 17 with 1319 viewschicoazul

Quite right Dubbers it’s absolutely insane. Lots of things coming together to create soaring prices. And as you rightly say who’s talking about it in the high profile media world? No one. Probably because it affects those people very very little if at all.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Sky high inflation rates on 17:43 - Jan 17 with 1290 viewsrgp1

Sky high inflation rates on 17:38 - Jan 17 by chicoazul

Quite right Dubbers it’s absolutely insane. Lots of things coming together to create soaring prices. And as you rightly say who’s talking about it in the high profile media world? No one. Probably because it affects those people very very little if at all.

The one thing that will hit all of these is the steaming train wreck that is the 2223 Billion pounds that the country is in debt of the last financial year!
Sky high inflation rates on 17:57 - Jan 17 with 1262 viewschicoazul

Sky high inflation rates on 17:43 - Jan 17 by rgp1

The one thing that will hit all of these is the steaming train wreck that is the 2223 Billion pounds that the country is in debt of the last financial year!

Debt is irrelevant when you print your own money. Inflation is what affects you and I the most.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Sky high inflation rates on 18:05 - Jan 17 with 1247 viewsrgp1

Sky high inflation rates on 17:57 - Jan 17 by chicoazul

Debt is irrelevant when you print your own money. Inflation is what affects you and I the most.

Yes this is true, however the more you print the higher the inflation, therefore more wheelbarrow sales to carry it around in!
Sky high inflation rates on 18:13 - Jan 17 with 1226 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Sky high inflation rates on 15:25 - Jan 17 by Illinoisblue

Brexit innit!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Sky high inflation rates on 18:18 - Jan 17 with 1216 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Thank goodness then that Nadine has acted in the interest of hard up families. Last year the TV license went up by £1.50 so we will all get to appreciate her selfless work!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Sky high inflation rates on 18:29 - Jan 17 with 1200 viewsfactual_blue

Sky high inflation rates on 16:42 - Jan 17 by OldFart71

Fight the system.

Break open a bag of spuds, take however many you need, weigh them as baking potatoes.

Or weigh them as carrots - they're cheaper.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Sky high inflation rates on 20:38 - Jan 17 with 1057 viewsDubtractor

Sky high inflation rates on 18:18 - Jan 17 by BanksterDebtSlave

Thank goodness then that Nadine has acted in the interest of hard up families. Last year the TV license went up by £1.50 so we will all get to appreciate her selfless work!

Well quite.

I'm heartened to see that the license fee stunt has almost completely fallen on deaf ears and people have seen it for what it is. And in the context of 6-7% inflation on everything else, its is utterly irrelevant isn't it?

Sky high inflation rates on 20:57 - Jan 17 with 1004 viewsjeera

Sky high inflation rates on 17:00 - Jan 17 by hoppy

Your local greengrocer/market/farm shop would be better placed to sell you potatoes etc in smaller quantities than the supermarket. It might be a bit more expensive, but it's also keeping a local trader in business rather than adding to the massive profits of a big supermarket.

FAO Old Fart:

Either this or, if money is tight, invest in a new fangled contraption called a freezer.

Purchase said potatoes in the 2.5 kg bag and prepare the potatoes however you like them, par boil and freeze.

You could prep some as chips, roast size or mashed.

You can even, (this will blow your mind), put the bread into the freezer too!

I know right?

For the winter months turn off the freezer and wrap foodstuff really well and just use the local stream instead.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2022 20:57]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Sky high inflation rates on 21:33 - Jan 17 with 933 viewsDarth_Koont

It’s a good point. Very little coverage overall.

I’m not a macro-economics person by any stretch although I can grasp things like the UK’s consistently low productivity and guess where that’s heading. But yes, even with my limited understanding, the global rise in inflation and how acute it is in the UK is a bigger worry than a lot of our front page stuff.

Seems to be a pure hit on people’s pockets not even offset by a rise in profits and share value for those lucky enough to benefit.

I did find a very strange line on the BBC explaining it. After talking about a jar of jam that goes up by 5p on the pound they say: “It applies to services too, like having your nails done or getting your car cleaned.” By that logic you could almost beat inflation just by avoiding the luxury of not getting your nails done or your car cleaned. But that really detracts from the real effect which is what happens to the poorest people in an even more squeezed economy.

Pronouns: He/Him

Sky high inflation rates on 21:50 - Jan 17 with 896 viewsXYZ

Sky high inflation rates on 17:43 - Jan 17 by rgp1

About £800 billion of that figure has been purchased back by the Bank of England through the quantative easing program, so don't fall for that as an argument for more austerity.
Sky high inflation rates on 22:26 - Jan 17 with 826 viewsrgp1

Sky high inflation rates on 21:50 - Jan 17 by XYZ

About £800 billion of that figure has been purchased back by the Bank of England through the quantative easing program, so don't fall for that as an argument for more austerity.

Fair point and I wouldn't argue it. So are we saying just keep on printing? As many of the so called 'experts' say it will bite us on the rear.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024