Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Under Marcus Evans.... 23:55 - Jan 17 with 1434 viewsOwainG1992

When we were a championship side there were times we missed out on targets who ended up at league one clubs.
Players like Harry Bunn spring to mind.

As a league one team we have persuaded Bonne to stay instead of cutting his loan short to join a club higher up the pyramid.

Walton (as far as we know) is joining permanently and has shown he is willing to sign for a league one Ipswich.
If he had wanted he could for sure joined a championship team.

Whilst everything isn't perfect, It's lovely to see the ambition is there.

Poll: Apologies I'm bored. How many signings will we have by Plymouth at home.

Under Marcus Evans.... on 00:10 - Jan 18 with 1389 viewsIllinoisblue

Wasn’t Shaun Derry another we wanted way back in the Keane era. Couldn’t get the deal done. So yes, nice to finally see some ambition from the club. Of course, one club’s ambition is another club’s breach of FFP rules. Oh well, better to get burnt trying than not try at all.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Under Marcus Evans.... on 07:35 - Jan 18 with 1145 viewsMattinLondon

Under Marcus Evans.... on 00:10 - Jan 18 by Illinoisblue

Wasn’t Shaun Derry another we wanted way back in the Keane era. Couldn’t get the deal done. So yes, nice to finally see some ambition from the club. Of course, one club’s ambition is another club’s breach of FFP rules. Oh well, better to get burnt trying than not try at all.

Kevin Kilbane was another player Keane wanted and had him in his office thinking that the deal was all but done.
Under Marcus Evans.... on 08:09 - Jan 18 with 1040 viewschrismakin

Under Marcus Evans.... on 07:35 - Jan 18 by MattinLondon

Kevin Kilbane was another player Keane wanted and had him in his office thinking that the deal was all but done.

Didn't we also have Joel Ward in the carpark at one point

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Under Marcus Evans.... on 08:16 - Jan 18 with 1028 viewsMetal_Hacker

Under Marcus Evans.... on 08:09 - Jan 18 by chrismakin

Didn't we also have Joel Ward in the carpark at one point

Dogging ?

Poll: If it were one or the other

Under Marcus Evans.... on 08:46 - Jan 18 with 947 viewsChurchman

It may be wishful thinking on my part, but I get the impression that the club is getting more professional and organised in how it does things.

I hated how transfers were played out in public by Evans and co. Promises of this and that, targets that were never realistic, naive attempts to play the media. It all felt random and shambolic. It was like Evans’ pre season promises. Bilge and everyone knew it.

On a slightly different but connected topic, I hope that over time ITFC becomes a happier place for players and staff to work than it clearly was under Evans. When I look back at GBs time and Robson’s before it, there were clearly few better clubs to be at than this one. It’s a huge part of a club’s identity and long term progress.
Under Marcus Evans.... on 09:05 - Jan 18 with 855 viewsSparky85

Just to give a different perspective, Keane and Jewell were backed at the start of the ME (banter) Era. Was it £25m between them or something like that?

Am in no way making comparisons, but the ambition was there at the start of the ME era, just a lot of the signings and management were poor.

The difference is the investment in club structure. ME saw a quick buy, invest some money to get to the PL. When that failed, the cheque book was 100% closed. Gamechanger have looked at everything from the top down, which should give some more sustainability to the project.
Under Marcus Evans.... on 09:58 - Jan 18 with 755 viewsFixed_It

Under Marcus Evans.... on 07:35 - Jan 18 by MattinLondon

Charlie Austin.
And the bloke whose missus had her dog in her handbag so Keane allegedly refused to do the deal on that basis!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Under Marcus Evans.... on 10:00 - Jan 18 with 748 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Under Marcus Evans.... on 09:05 - Jan 18 by Sparky85

Just to give a different perspective, Keane and Jewell were backed at the start of the ME (banter) Era. Was it £25m between them or something like that?

Am in no way making comparisons, but the ambition was there at the start of the ME era, just a lot of the signings and management were poor.

The difference is the investment in club structure. ME saw a quick buy, invest some money to get to the PL. When that failed, the cheque book was 100% closed. Gamechanger have looked at everything from the top down, which should give some more sustainability to the project.

Worth noting that the landscape changed significantly in Evans' tenure. The concept of a Championship player being on much more than 10k a week when he first came in would have seemed mad but very quickly that wasn't the case. Had it not changed we'd have remained competitive.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2022 10:01]
Login to get fewer ads

Under Marcus Evans.... on 10:03 - Jan 18 with 724 viewsfooters

Ipswich Town Football Club is a good egg really.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Under Marcus Evans.... on 10:04 - Jan 18 with 727 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Under Marcus Evans.... on 09:58 - Jan 18 by Fixed_It

Charlie Austin.
And the bloke whose missus had her dog in her handbag so Keane allegedly refused to do the deal on that basis!

Loads of examples but there will be at other clubs too. The Austin one was a farce because our initial offer to him was laughable apparently such that he was immediately put off.

Lallana and Lambert at Southampton never got to that point but we could have taken them both if we'd have been a bit braver. Similarly we scoffed at £1m for Vardy but were interested to the extent we were talking to him/his agent when he was at Fleetwood.

Until Mick came in and he made sure he knew what he could play with (before getting players to travel to discuss things etc), we were far from an easy club to deal with as I understand it.
Under Marcus Evans.... on 10:08 - Jan 18 with 713 viewsSamWhiteUK

Under Marcus Evans.... on 09:58 - Jan 18 by Fixed_It

Charlie Austin.

That was Ross McCormack, wasn't it?
Under Marcus Evans.... on 10:09 - Jan 18 with 696 viewsFixed_It

Under Marcus Evans.... on 10:08 - Jan 18 by SamWhiteUK

That was Ross McCormack, wasn't it?

That's the one.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Under Marcus Evans.... on 10:20 - Jan 18 with 676 viewsFightingEssex

Under Marcus Evans.... on 09:05 - Jan 18 by Sparky85

Actually Evan’s investment wasn’t particularly staggering for the time, there were huge turnovers in players, but not massive amounts being spent on a lot of people were signing bar a couple of people. I don't think Evans really ever understood the levels of money required for a club to be competitive in the Championship.

Keane’s first summer signed 8 players totaling 5,300,000, however we released/sold 14 players.

Keane’s second we signed 5 totaling 1,725,000 and we sold/released 11 bringing in 3,425,000.

Jewell’s first season he signed 10 players and spent 2,390,000, and we sold/released 22 bringing in 8,100,000

Jewell’s second season he signed 6 totaling 2,000,000 and released 10.

As for Gamechanger I wouldn't personally judge how they are preforming until all the results are in, I'd say so far we have paid a chunk of wages so far to a bunch of players who aren't remotely delivering on what they are being paid. We're spending top 3 money on wages and getting 11th place performances, which means recruitment so far doesn't appear to be any better than it was under Evans in this league, however we were always going down with Evans's level of spending in the Championship, it was a matter of when.

Poll: Next Ipswich Town manager?

Under Marcus Evans.... on 10:34 - Jan 18 with 618 viewswkj

I can only assume Milne, Clegg and then later on, Evans himself did the negotiating.

That sums it all up

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Under Marcus Evans.... on 10:36 - Jan 18 with 615 viewsfooters

Under Marcus Evans.... on 10:34 - Jan 18 by wkj

I can only assume Milne, Clegg and then later on, Evans himself did the negotiating.

That sums it all up

"I'll offer you £500k for player X, Mr Evans."
"Six."
"Three."
"You drive a hard bargain. Done."

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024