Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is penney the weakest link ? 09:11 - Jan 18 with 2540 viewsmarkchips

Just asking for a friend. Hope we are not pinning our hopes on Coulsen either as he hardly played.
Is penney the weakest link ? on 09:15 - Jan 18 with 1968 viewsmo_itfc

Penney has had some good moments in recent games, but not enough.

I'd like to see 2 more wingbacks in, one for each side, but that will bloat the squat.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2022 9:16]

Poll: Now that The Athletic has an article, is this takeover actually happening?

Is penney the weakest link ? on 09:17 - Jan 18 with 1948 viewsSwansea_Blue

He certainly lost the battle with his man on Saturday. Mind you, there were quite a few weak links. I can't remember the last time I saw so many of us make so many unforced errors. We couldn't pass water.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Is penney the weakest link ? on 09:19 - Jan 18 with 1936 viewshoppy

Is penney the weakest link ? on 09:15 - Jan 18 by mo_itfc

Penney has had some good moments in recent games, but not enough.

I'd like to see 2 more wingbacks in, one for each side, but that will bloat the squat.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2022 9:16]

Nothing worse than a bloated squat.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Is penney the weakest link ? on 09:20 - Jan 18 with 1925 viewsSwansea_Blue

Is penney the weakest link ? on 09:19 - Jan 18 by hoppy

Nothing worse than a bloated squat.

Yeah, always risks that squat turning into a squit

Is penney the weakest link ? on 09:20 - Jan 18 with 1925 viewsHerbivore

For me it's a yes. Penney seems to go between meh and turd in his performance levels. Defensively he worries me, loses too many duels, and going forward he doesn't offer all that much.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2022 9:20]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Is penney the weakest link ? on 09:24 - Jan 18 with 1880 viewshoppy

Is penney the weakest link ? on 09:20 - Jan 18 by Swansea_Blue

Yeah, always risks that squat turning into a squit

Maybe that was in part why they were not wanting to pass water?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Is penney the weakest link ? on 09:27 - Jan 18 with 1859 viewsfranz_tyson

It’s a bit of a tricky one as we either relying on Coulsen to come back and be a big improvement on Penney OR we bring in another LWB. Possibly another loanee. And that does feel a bit bloaty. Not sure we can rely on Coulsen’s fitness and we’ve not seen enough of him to know if he’s any good.

If we’re stuck with Coulsen and If we could bring in another LWB - I wouldn’t be too unhappy for Penney to go out on loan. Don’t think he’s up to it. Not defensively strong and doesn’t look like he’s got the beating of a full-back in a one-on-one.
Is penney the weakest link ? on 09:27 - Jan 18 with 1848 viewsSwansea_Blue

Is penney the weakest link ? on 09:24 - Jan 18 by hoppy

Maybe that was in part why they were not wanting to pass water?

Not from there anyway!

Login to get fewer ads

Is penney the weakest link ? on 09:34 - Jan 18 with 1800 viewsMeadowlark

Is penney the weakest link ? on 09:27 - Jan 18 by Swansea_Blue

Not from there anyway!

Here we go again. Another "useless player" bandwagon to jump on.

Why?

I think he's doing OK. I would rather have Coulson as he gives us some attacking pace on that wing, but if he's never going to be fit then Penney is absolutely fine.
Is penney the weakest link ? on 09:37 - Jan 18 with 1782 viewsabracaDOBRA_

I do think he gets a bit of unfair stick, but id agree that he's one of our 'lesser' quality players as such. He played well against Gillingham and got an assist but struggles against stronger opposition. If anything, he's a squad player and once Coulson's back I imagine he'll start.
Is penney the weakest link ? on 09:41 - Jan 18 with 1760 viewsJon_456

Is penney the weakest link ? on 09:34 - Jan 18 by Meadowlark

Why?

I think he's doing OK. I would rather have Coulson as he gives us some attacking pace on that wing, but if he's never going to be fit then Penney is absolutely fine.

The trouble with Penney is he likes the ball into space to run onto (see Gillingham assist for Bonne).

Think he lacks the confidence / skill to take on players with the ball at his feet, so the opposition just have to block the path down the wing and mark a CM to force him back to our CBs.

Good for games that are open with plenty of space to exploit, not so good when we have plenty of the ball and the opposition sit in and try make us play through them (Bolton).
Is penney the weakest link ? on 09:53 - Jan 18 with 1707 viewsEdmundo

Is penney the weakest link ? on 09:41 - Jan 18 by Jon_456

The trouble with Penney is he likes the ball into space to run onto (see Gillingham assist for Bonne).

Think he lacks the confidence / skill to take on players with the ball at his feet, so the opposition just have to block the path down the wing and mark a CM to force him back to our CBs.

Good for games that are open with plenty of space to exploit, not so good when we have plenty of the ball and the opposition sit in and try make us play through them (Bolton).

Hence why in the past Burgess has been useful for away games (see Wycombe), but as part of a 4, not as WB. I saw the Bolton formation Saturday and immediately thought they had set put to occupy our WBs and turn a back 3 into a back 5. Then we can't get service to our front 2. For me it was an error by KM not to change formation and move to 442 or even 451.

Poll: Will our competitors in the Championship "find us out" in 2nd half of season
Blog: Blue Sky Thinking

Is penney the weakest link ? on 09:57 - Jan 18 with 1677 viewsSwansea_Blue

Is penney the weakest link ? on 09:34 - Jan 18 by Meadowlark

Why?

Heh? We'd been sidetracked into a puerile conversation about the having the sh*ts.

I don't think he's useless. He did struggle on Saturday though against a more physical opponent. But we know his strengths normally are more being on the front foot than as an out and out defender.

Is penney the weakest link ? on 09:57 - Jan 18 with 1678 viewsWallingford_Boy

Yes.

I would say a left back/wing back and a CB is a must this window.

But nothing more.

RIP Sir Bobby

Is penney the weakest link ? on 10:07 - Jan 18 with 1640 viewsFrankfurtBlue

Is penney the weakest link ? on 09:41 - Jan 18 by Jon_456

I think that is a fair and concise assessment of Penney.

Even on the first day of the season, where he gave Wolfenden that hospital ball for their second goal, instead of knocking it down the line. He also seems to lack a bit of bite, and if I were an opposition manager, I would target that side. On the positive side, when he is further up the field, he can certainly deliver a decent enough cross, and has a reasonable enough shot on him. Certainly enough there to work on, but at the moment he should only be a back-up LWB.
Is penney the weakest link ? on 10:07 - Jan 18 with 1636 viewsSamWhiteUK

He was infuriating on Saturday. Couldn't work out a way past his man (he was thoroughly outplayed by the guy with the afro, can't remember his name) and the amount of times he just passed the ball out of play left me tearing my hair out.

I think we need another option there, as Coulsen has proven he's decent when fit, but not fit often enough. If we could get a permanent signing, and someone who is comfortable both at LB and LWB, that would be the dream.
[Redacted] on 10:13 - Jan 18 with 1596 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Is penney the weakest link ? on 10:14 - Jan 18 with 1589 viewsScuzzer

Is penney the weakest link ? on 09:57 - Jan 18 by Wallingford_Boy

Yes.

I would say a left back/wing back and a CB is a must this window.

But nothing more.

KVY replaced him on that side last match. An option?

Established 1968

[Redacted] on 10:20 - Jan 18 with 1552 viewsvictorywilhappen

Is penney the weakest link ? on 10:07 - Jan 18 by SamWhiteUK

He was infuriating on Saturday. Couldn't work out a way past his man (he was thoroughly outplayed by the guy with the afro, can't remember his name) and the amount of times he just passed the ball out of play left me tearing my hair out.

I think we need another option there, as Coulsen has proven he's decent when fit, but not fit often enough. If we could get a permanent signing, and someone who is comfortable both at LB and LWB, that would be the dream.

[Redacted]
Is penney the weakest link ? on 10:44 - Jan 18 with 1439 viewsjayessess

I don't think he's the long term answer there, but also don't think his performance was particularly key to our defeat on Saturday and I'm a little confused as to why he's seemingly drawn so much focus.

Defensively he wasn't directly responsible for any significant Bolton chances that I can recall and Bolton created very little in any case.

Offensively he was fairly anonymous, but no more so than Burns.

In terms of outright errors I can recall a couple of times where he tried and failed to find Norwood down the line, plus a near post cross that should've been a far post one, but that seems pretty slim pickings for the narrative that's grown up around him.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Is penney the weakest link ? on 10:51 - Jan 18 with 1402 viewsOsborneOneNil

He's ok, nothing more. IMO we could do with an upgrade in that position.
Is penney the weakest link ? on 11:13 - Jan 18 with 1328 viewsSarge

I think so. He has some decent moments but most of the time his final ball isn’t good enough. I think Penney was signed with a view to being a backup but I wouldn’t want to pin our hopes on Coulson either so I’d probably look to cancel Coulson’s loan and bring in someone else as first choice.
Is penney the weakest link ? on 11:14 - Jan 18 with 1319 viewsC_Jam_Blue

Is penney the weakest link ? on 10:14 - Jan 18 by Scuzzer

KVY replaced him on that side last match. An option?

I'd like to see KVY get a run of games on the left. He was such a force in his early days before his injuries. I wonder if a run in the side would see him return to those kind of levels.
Is penney the weakest link ? on 11:15 - Jan 18 with 1317 viewsMetal_Hacker

Is penney the weakest link ? on 10:07 - Jan 18 by SamWhiteUK

Totally agree - when looking at a first eleven and Penney at left wingback I’d always say he was the weakest link. Doesn’t make him crap for the record , I just think in terms of wanting better and the most apparent position to upgrade is his. We seem sorted elsewhere for now but personally I feel the guy lacks quite a few attributes to help as he should be

Strength , confidence and being comfortable on the ball being just three things

Again not saying he’s crap for the record but we do need to upgrade

Poll: If it were one or the other

Is penney the weakest link ? on 11:24 - Jan 18 with 1288 viewsGrumpy_Old_Man

Is penney the weakest link ? on 11:15 - Jan 18 by Metal_Hacker

Totally agree - when looking at a first eleven and Penney at left wingback I’d always say he was the weakest link. Doesn’t make him crap for the record , I just think in terms of wanting better and the most apparent position to upgrade is his. We seem sorted elsewhere for now but personally I feel the guy lacks quite a few attributes to help as he should be

Strength , confidence and being comfortable on the ball being just three things

Again not saying he’s crap for the record but we do need to upgrade

League One teams have League One players who by their nature will make mistakes.

In my view our tactics were found to be wrong on saturday. We were playing short out of defence when Bolton were quickly closing us down and that is why mistakes happened.

Cook was criticised for changing his pattern of play, we saw the same at Bolton!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024