Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
George Burley interview here.... 13:06 - Jan 18 with 2918 viewsitfcjoe

Must say, and I'm clearly biased as part of the BM team but I found it absolutely fascinating.

I knew Burley was obviously good, but he seems somewhat underrated compared to some of the others, maybe as 'just a full back' which isn't fashionable position.

But to come down from Scotland at 15, win Reserve League player of the year at 16/17 then make debut marking George Best at Old Trafford at 17 and then basically never look back and play every game from that point until you leave the club is very special. I noticed when Dyer did the 1-11s during lockdown on here all the comments were saying how GB was just a totally modern full back and would fly in todays game.

Some real key messages re practice, practice, practice and just how dedicated both he and the whole squad were. Matt Holland mentioned it when we interviewed him as well that sometimes it was boring but was just pure repetition until it could be done in your sleep - an interesting note on who he thinks the only better crosser is than him who he worked with.

I'm more looking forward to the management one dropping tomorrow morning as is an era that I lived and loved - but this was a fantastic listen

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

George Burley interview here.... on 13:11 - Jan 18 with 2445 viewsPinewoodblue

Hope KMc takes note. We clearly don’t practice, practice, practice taking corners.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

George Burley interview here.... on 13:13 - Jan 18 with 2435 viewsFixed_It

He was a wonderful 'modern' full-back. I can still see him flying down the right flank towards Churchmans as if it was yesterday. Such an elegant player.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

George Burley interview here.... on 13:20 - Jan 18 with 2355 viewsPJH

George Burley interview here.... on 13:13 - Jan 18 by Fixed_It

He was a wonderful 'modern' full-back. I can still see him flying down the right flank towards Churchmans as if it was yesterday. Such an elegant player.

and often circling his right arm in the air a couple of times as he prepared to cross.

As mentioned earlier in this thread he would have fitted seamlessly into modern football with his style of play in the 1970's and 1980's.
George Burley interview here.... on 13:24 - Jan 18 with 2303 viewsIllinoisblue

George Burley interview here.... on 13:11 - Jan 18 by Pinewoodblue

Hope KMc takes note. We clearly don’t practice, practice, practice taking corners.

I would love to see stats on our last 100 corners and how many chances and goals have been created. Was watching Villa v Man Utd on Saturday and they mentioned Utd hadn’t scored from their last 109 corners.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

George Burley interview here.... on 13:28 - Jan 18 with 2245 viewshomer_123

George Burley interview here.... on 13:24 - Jan 18 by Illinoisblue

I would love to see stats on our last 100 corners and how many chances and goals have been created. Was watching Villa v Man Utd on Saturday and they mentioned Utd hadn’t scored from their last 109 corners.

The number of times we don't beat the first man?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

George Burley interview here.... on 13:32 - Jan 18 with 2210 viewsitfcjoe

I spoke to a couple of Bolton fans post game Saturday and they both commented on how good and hard to defend Evans' corners were independently of each other - especially the inswingers

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

George Burley interview here.... on 13:35 - Jan 18 with 2158 viewsIllinoisblue

George Burley interview here.... on 13:32 - Jan 18 by itfcjoe

I spoke to a couple of Bolton fans post game Saturday and they both commented on how good and hard to defend Evans' corners were independently of each other - especially the inswingers

That’s genuinely interesting to hear that. I’d have to watch the game back to take another look. I certainly don’t recall much threat from our corners and I’m pretty sure at least two went straight out of play!

Edit: And of course it’s not just delivery that’s important, it’s movement inside the box and attacking the ball.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2022 13:36]

62 - 78 - 81

George Burley interview here.... on 13:35 - Jan 18 with 2158 viewshomer_123

George Burley interview here.... on 13:20 - Jan 18 by PJH

and often circling his right arm in the air a couple of times as he prepared to cross.

As mentioned earlier in this thread he would have fitted seamlessly into modern football with his style of play in the 1970's and 1980's.

Just think about how 'technically' proficient teams from those areas actually were. To be able to play 'football' as we did on typically shocking pitches. It's underestimated.

Out Dutch due, good old Frans particularly, are noted for their ball skills - but the rest of the team were rather bloody decent with the ball as well.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2022 13:47]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Login to get fewer ads

George Burley interview here.... on 13:48 - Jan 18 with 2037 viewscbower

George Burley interview here.... on 13:11 - Jan 18 by Pinewoodblue

We do. We practice the following routines regularly:
1: Hitting the first defender at the near post
2: Hitting it over all our players and beyond the far post
3: Punting a high, floaty cross for either a) the opposition goalkeeper to catch or b) a opposition defender to head clear
4: Heading over the bar or wide of the goal
5: Trying a short corner and making a balls of it
6: Getting caught on the break up-field for a corner and conceding a goal whilst flinging our arms around.

All of the above are, of course, practiced alongside minimal movement of our players in the box in the vain hope that the ball might hit them and go in or that they can can out-jump an opposition player whilst standing completely still. It is strictly forbidden to attack the ball with great desire.

For defensive corners, we practice watching our opponents attack the ball and us picking it out of the net.

As you can tell, KMc has lots to build on there!!!!!!!

PS. I used to get excited when we got a corner. Even as recently as 5-6 years ago Tommy Smith, Berra, Chambers, Murphy would all pose a very decent threat - chipping in with goals from corners. Now I just shrug and hope we don't concede from the breakaway.

PPS: Burley was a fabulous player - wish he had scored from that header in the 78 Cup Final when Jennings made a fine save! He was a top manager too - let's not forget, his peers voted him Premier League Manager of the Season in 2000/01!
[Post edited 18 Jan 2022 13:52]

bluescouser

George Burley interview here.... on 13:51 - Jan 18 with 2013 viewsChurchman

GB was a smashing player. Nobody who was lucky to see him play would say otherwise.

Burley was good in the tackle, more robust than he looked, rarely caught out of position, deceptively quick and could cross a ball. I don’t think he scored too many goals, but boy did that screamer to open the scoring at Millwall (and restart the riot!) made up for it. He nearly scored in the Cup Final too. How the Jennings saved it, goodness only knows.

George worked well with the rest of the defence and gave the team so much. I know people disagree with me, not least because McCall did so well, but I think the team lost a little bit of balance in the 1980/81 season when he got injured.

I always enjoyed watching him and there was no better full back than him in the game at that time.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2022 13:55]
George Burley interview here.... on 13:57 - Jan 18 with 1934 views66notout

George Burley interview here.... on 13:51 - Jan 18 by Churchman

GB was a smashing player. Nobody who was lucky to see him play would say otherwise.

Burley was good in the tackle, more robust than he looked, rarely caught out of position, deceptively quick and could cross a ball. I don’t think he scored too many goals, but boy did that screamer to open the scoring at Millwall (and restart the riot!) made up for it. He nearly scored in the Cup Final too. How the Jennings saved it, goodness only knows.

George worked well with the rest of the defence and gave the team so much. I know people disagree with me, not least because McCall did so well, but I think the team lost a little bit of balance in the 1980/81 season when he got injured.

I always enjoyed watching him and there was no better full back than him in the game at that time.

He also wore boots two sizes smaller than his shoes. Secret of his success. And Danny McGrain was better, according to the number of Scottish caps they won.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2022 14:10]
George Burley interview here.... on 14:08 - Jan 18 with 1836 viewsChurchman

George Burley interview here.... on 13:57 - Jan 18 by 66notout

He also wore boots two sizes smaller than his shoes. Secret of his success. And Danny McGrain was better, according to the number of Scottish caps they won.

Danny McGrain played his career for Celtic in a Mickey Mouse league so it’s hard to compare. He was six years older than GB and yes a very good player with plenty of caps. England’s right back in 1978 was Phil Neal. He won 50 odd caps for England, but I would argue Burley was a much better full back, even if penalty taking wasn’t his thing.
George Burley interview here.... on 14:12 - Jan 18 with 1794 views66notout

George Burley interview here.... on 14:08 - Jan 18 by Churchman

Danny McGrain played his career for Celtic in a Mickey Mouse league so it’s hard to compare. He was six years older than GB and yes a very good player with plenty of caps. England’s right back in 1978 was Phil Neal. He won 50 odd caps for England, but I would argue Burley was a much better full back, even if penalty taking wasn’t his thing.

Not disagreeing with any of that.
George Burley interview here.... on 14:14 - Jan 18 with 1773 viewsGeoffSentence

Despite the excitement they generate, it turns out that corners dont often lead to goals, but that short corners are more dangerous than long ones

https://sqaf.club/goals-from-corners-stats/

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

George Burley interview here.... on 14:22 - Jan 18 with 1735 viewsIllinoisblue

George Burley interview here.... on 14:14 - Jan 18 by GeoffSentence

Despite the excitement they generate, it turns out that corners dont often lead to goals, but that short corners are more dangerous than long ones

https://sqaf.club/goals-from-corners-stats/

This stat is amazing: “40% of corners don’t clear the first man”.

62 - 78 - 81

George Burley interview here.... on 14:26 - Jan 18 with 1712 viewsSwansea_Blue

George Burley interview here.... on 13:13 - Jan 18 by Fixed_It

Yep, same here. He seemed to somehow manage to be both a fullback and a winger, more so than modern wingbacks manage. It was almost as if he was overlapping himself at times!

I'm not sure why he didn't get more Scotland caps, as he was certainly good enough to.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

George Burley interview here.... on 14:34 - Jan 18 with 1669 viewsRyorry

George Burley interview here.... on 13:57 - Jan 18 by 66notout

"He also wore boots two sizes smaller than his shoes" -

Eh? How did that work then 🤔 For most people it'd have meant barely being able to even hobble, never mind run or kick a ball!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

George Burley interview here.... on 14:36 - Jan 18 with 1650 viewsChurchman

George Burley interview here.... on 14:34 - Jan 18 by Ryorry

"He also wore boots two sizes smaller than his shoes" -

Eh? How did that work then 🤔 For most people it'd have meant barely being able to even hobble, never mind run or kick a ball!

Maybe his normal shoes were two sizes too big for his feet and padded out with newspaper or his lunchtime cheese sandwiches.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2022 14:36]
George Burley interview here.... on 14:37 - Jan 18 with 1637 viewsDJR

George Burley interview here.... on 13:51 - Jan 18 by Churchman

I wouldn't disagree at all. I think that had we not lost Burley we would have won the league. And the sad thing, from his point of view, is that he didn't get to play in the UEFA Cup Final.
George Burley interview here.... (n/t) on 14:39 - Jan 18 with 1620 viewskeighleyblue

George Burley interview here.... on 14:40 - Jan 18 with 1612 viewsoldburian

George Burley interview here.... on 14:08 - Jan 18 by Churchman

Danny McGrain was apparently the fastest full back in the world. Someone did not tell Beattie, gave him ten yards start at Wembley and still beat him into the penalty area to outjump the Scottish Goalie. A great goal but never gets a mention, but he did not play for Man U or Liverpool.
George Burley interview here.... on 14:52 - Jan 18 with 1517 viewskeighleyblue

I was blown away by this. A great interview and the interviewer gave him the respect due to such a true club legend. What a humble man and a great example to today's footballers. His steely determination to continuously improve and overcome what nearly was a career ending injury at the age of 25, and go on to play over 200 more games for Sunderland! I'm really looking forward to part 2 and more great stories from the man.
George Burley interview here.... on 15:47 - Jan 18 with 1337 viewsunstableblue

Thanks Joe to you and the Blue Monday team for organising and delivering this.

I really enjoyed listening to it, and as you say loads of insights.

Burley is certainly a confident character - certainly in his own playing ability. Possibly not the easiest guy to interview.

Key takeaways was how effective the Ipswich scouting and youth programme was then, pulling great talent down from Scotland. Which was amazing for a club of our scale - and feels like why we punched above our weight. You can suggest that the more local restrictions to youth recruitment now in place hamper clubs of our size.

Loved also the repetition of technical plays and ability piece by individuals; that Robson team were SO good on the ball, to a man.

Final key thing I took away was the number of games these guys played in a season! was it 40? would love to see this across the team over 4 seasons around 1981. He put it down to elite fitness - has the modern game become that more intensive?

Great stuff; look forward to the management show.

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

George Burley interview here.... on 15:53 - Jan 18 with 1309 viewsNthQldITFC

Superb. Thanks Blue Monday, thanks George.

One point he made which I suspect might get overlooked a bit these days is the 'train the players to communicate' bit. I get the feeling (although I don't see much up close so can't really be sure) that there's not an almost constant positive and constructive dialogue going on, particularly between the defenders.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

George Burley interview here.... on 15:59 - Jan 18 with 1262 viewsVic

George Burley interview here.... on 13:20 - Jan 18 by PJH

Glad you mentioned the twirling fight arm - that is my abiding memory of a young Burley, playing against the likes of Barce, Madrid, Milan, Lazio and the other great and good around Europe that we were so much part of at the time.

Ps, I just had to the second part of that for the sake of our friends up the road that think that participating for a couple of seasons is something to be commemorated!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024