Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Will Keane 20:51 - Jan 18 with 2601 viewsGarv

Permission to revisit the fact (opinion) that he was a more than capable striker that we didn't get the best out of, and that we never really played to the strengths of? I would file him alongside Pitman in that sense.

I hope the reason we decided against keeping on was based on fitness, because it was an issue. Of course he's played every game for Wigan this season.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Will Keane on 20:56 - Jan 18 with 2550 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Correct. He quickly got the donkey label from some, but also some could see the evident talent that he had. First touch, linking play. We just used to lump the ball really high at him and told him to get his head on it.

He did struggle with injures though if I remember correctly.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Will Keane on 21:03 - Jan 18 with 2494 viewsIllinoisblue

While we’re revisiting our glorious past, what happened to Keanan Bennetts? Back at Gladbach?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Will Keane on 21:08 - Jan 18 with 2467 viewsChocorange

Will Keane on 20:56 - Jan 18 by TRUE_BLUE123

Correct. He quickly got the donkey label from some, but also some could see the evident talent that he had. First touch, linking play. We just used to lump the ball really high at him and told him to get his head on it.

We do the same to Pigott and it’s not his game either
Will Keane on 21:12 - Jan 18 with 2435 viewsSitfcB

Will Keane on 21:03 - Jan 18 by Illinoisblue

While we’re revisiting our glorious past, what happened to Keanan Bennetts? Back at Gladbach?

Been on the bench for them this season mostly, 4 appearances. Currently injured.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Will Keane on 21:13 - Jan 18 with 2423 viewsOwainG1992

This exactly.
Keane despite being a tall lad isn't a bullying centre forward.
But we didn't play nice football to the feet back then.

Poll: Apologies I'm bored. How many signings will we have by Plymouth at home.

Will Keane on 21:19 - Jan 18 with 2381 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I thought it was generally accepted that he was a very good striker whose fitness record made him not worth the gamble.

I was just thinking earlier when I saw that he had scored again that he is a little like McGoldrick. If he would have been more likely to stay fit, it would have been a no-brainer to try to keep him. As it was, the fitness record after leaving has been far better than while here (in both cases).

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Will Keane on 21:20 - Jan 18 with 2375 viewsIllinoisblue

Will Keane on 21:12 - Jan 18 by SitfcB

Been on the bench for them this season mostly, 4 appearances. Currently injured.

Bizarre how a player can be mediocre in League 1 but still part of a Bundesliga squad.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Will Keane on 21:54 - Jan 18 with 2215 viewsFightingEssex

I don't know why we released him and signed the likes of Hawkins. It seemed stupid then. Not pushing for Garbutt and going for Ward was also absolute stupidity, Garbutt went up and was a key player in a promotion squad, Keane the same this season. Judgement wasn't good, I expect we had to drop some wages that summer and opted for cheap options as usual under Evans. Always worked out didn't it.

Poll: Next Ipswich Town manager?

Login to get fewer ads

Will Keane on 22:27 - Jan 18 with 2101 viewsSimonds92

Pitman comment weakens your argument, absolutely cr*p footballer.
Keane always had a touch of class especially when we first brought him in. He was injured a fair amount though and we couldn't afford to get him up to match fitness.
Will Keane on 22:33 - Jan 18 with 2081 viewsBlueBadger

Poor man's Priskin. With bonus injuries. Difference here is he's enjoying his one good season AFTER leaving us, rather than before.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Will Keane on 22:46 - Jan 18 with 2035 viewsBlueBadger

I don't recall anyone ever calling him a donkey. 'Lightweight sick note', yes, 'donkey' no.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Will Keane on 23:02 - Jan 18 with 1985 viewsmarchy

Will Keane on 21:54 - Jan 18 by FightingEssex

I don't know why we released him and signed the likes of Hawkins. It seemed stupid then. Not pushing for Garbutt and going for Ward was also absolute stupidity, Garbutt went up and was a key player in a promotion squad, Keane the same this season. Judgement wasn't good, I expect we had to drop some wages that summer and opted for cheap options as usual under Evans. Always worked out didn't it.

I think the simultaneous announcement of signing Oliver Hawkins, Stephen Ward and David Cornell to strengthen us for the coming season ranks up there amongst the bleakest moments of the Evans era doesn't it.
Will Keane on 23:32 - Jan 18 with 1905 viewsrgp1

Will Keane on 23:02 - Jan 18 by marchy

I think the simultaneous announcement of signing Oliver Hawkins, Stephen Ward and David Cornell to strengthen us for the coming season ranks up there amongst the bleakest moments of the Evans era doesn't it.

Except Cornell now playing in higher league. I find it quite amusing how a bunch of ' allegedly crap" footballers was much higher up the league than the current crop.
Will Keane on 23:40 - Jan 18 with 1892 viewsmarchy

Will Keane on 23:32 - Jan 18 by rgp1

Except Cornell now playing in higher league. I find it quite amusing how a bunch of ' allegedly crap" footballers was much higher up the league than the current crop.

He was signed as backup at Posh, only got in the team after the first-choice threw a wobbler at the manager, they're in the relegation zone and they've conceded twice a game on average. Don't laugh too hard.
Will Keane on 08:37 - Jan 19 with 1508 viewsGarv

Will Keane on 22:27 - Jan 18 by Simonds92

Pitman comment weakens your argument, absolutely cr*p footballer.
Keane always had a touch of class especially when we first brought him in. He was injured a fair amount though and we couldn't afford to get him up to match fitness.

You're on your own in that view.

He clearly wasn't crap, but he clearly joined the wrong club and wrong manager when he left Bournemouth.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Will Keane on 08:47 - Jan 19 with 1469 viewsITFC_Forever

No, too lightweight and didn't seem to have much to offer.

Pitman on the other hand was a class act who we absolutely didn't get the best of.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Will Keane on 09:18 - Jan 19 with 1408 viewsPhilTWTD

Agree, (although less so regarding Pitman). Think he was a victim of his lack of fitness and the pandemic and the uncertainty it brought. Would be playing a level or two above where he is now but for injuries.
Will Keane on 09:20 - Jan 19 with 1388 viewsCotty

Will Keane on 21:19 - Jan 18 by Nthsuffolkblue

I thought it was generally accepted that he was a very good striker whose fitness record made him not worth the gamble.

I was just thinking earlier when I saw that he had scored again that he is a little like McGoldrick. If he would have been more likely to stay fit, it would have been a no-brainer to try to keep him. As it was, the fitness record after leaving has been far better than while here (in both cases).

Wash your mouth out! He is not fit to clean McG's boots. Still a good player though.
Will Keane on 10:15 - Jan 19 with 1265 viewsGuthrum

Pitman was a good marksman who needed service to his feet in the box. Which we weren't good at during that time (see also: David McGoldrick, whose talent was wasted having to go hunting for the ball in midfield).

Keane was more of a standard, hard working striker. He should have been better suited, however, the team lacked overall functionality at the time, so he didn't get the best chance, IMO.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024