Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Plenty to bash boris for 00:24 - Jan 19 with 1244 viewsZXBlue

Today's headline, adn the interpretation of it by most (including on here) is not the right one though.

He was clearly not saying "I didnt know because noone told me" when he denied that anyone had told him the event would breach rules.

He was responding specifically to the allegation that Cummings had raised it. Which may or may not be true.

Most people have jumped on it saying "but he made the rules, how can he comlpain he wasnt told". He wasnt complaining that. Lets hang him (metaphorically) for the right crimes eh?
Plenty to bash boris for on 01:20 - Jan 19 with 1161 viewsHARRY10

Oh dear, nice try

Assume that was the case, when he went outside, did someone jump out and sat 'surprise !'

Did it not occur to him at that point that it contravened his own rules ?

Because it was a social, irrespective of whether they were a 'works' group, or not

and this has been raised/pointed out to him numerous times.
Plenty to bash boris for on 01:26 - Jan 19 with 1157 viewsIllinoisblue

He’s done and will be gone soon. The important question to ask yourself, does Johnson after literally decades of telling lies as a journalist and in public office, deserve a free pass here? The answer is no.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Plenty to bash boris for on 01:44 - Jan 19 with 1135 viewsXYZ

He's an habitual liar. That's proven, including by conservatives (Peter Oborne; Max Hastings). Undeniable.

He's done it again over the parties. If you ask for proof you haven't been keeping up-to-date with serious news commentary.

You either demand he goes or you support corruption at the top of British politics.

This is binary.
Plenty to bash boris for on 08:11 - Jan 19 with 931 viewsPinewoodblue

While the OP raises an interesting point it really doesn’t matter if we end up with the right result for the wrong reason.

When faced with a choice of believing Boris Johnson or Dominic Cummings you really need a third optio ‘neither’.

In reality Partygate has drawn attention away from the real reason he has to go. While drinks in the garden was hogging the headlined courts were deciding that the government acted unlawfully with its VIP list of preferred suppliers of PPE.

That is real corruption and that is the real reason he has to go.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Plenty to bash boris for on 08:13 - Jan 19 with 927 viewsZXBlue

Plenty to bash boris for on 01:44 - Jan 19 by XYZ

He's an habitual liar. That's proven, including by conservatives (Peter Oborne; Max Hastings). Undeniable.

He's done it again over the parties. If you ask for proof you haven't been keeping up-to-date with serious news commentary.

You either demand he goes or you support corruption at the top of British politics.

This is binary.

Fascinatingly, no one in this thread appears to have read or understood the very simple point I made. Which simply reinforces the point; i.e. that on this particular headline, people are leaping into definitive conclusions based on a misunderstanding of what was said and its context. They have done the same on this post.

It really is important that people maintain some integrity in their criticism as well as quite rightly demanding that a man showing as little integrity as Johnson, should not be in office.
Plenty to bash boris for on 08:16 - Jan 19 with 913 viewsZXBlue

Plenty to bash boris for on 08:11 - Jan 19 by Pinewoodblue

While the OP raises an interesting point it really doesn’t matter if we end up with the right result for the wrong reason.

When faced with a choice of believing Boris Johnson or Dominic Cummings you really need a third optio ‘neither’.

In reality Partygate has drawn attention away from the real reason he has to go. While drinks in the garden was hogging the headlined courts were deciding that the government acted unlawfully with its VIP list of preferred suppliers of PPE.

That is real corruption and that is the real reason he has to go.

I think it does matter. And well done for being the first to get and engage with the point! Even the BBC headline was rather misleading, which is probably making a rod for their own backs in the current situation. If people dont bother understanding nuance, or actually seeing the interview ratehr than forming opinions based on a headline, then people will never actually make good decisions for elections or elsewhere.

I agree entirely with everything else you say.
Plenty to bash boris for on 08:17 - Jan 19 with 912 viewsCrockerITFC

He actually said he couldn't remember being warned and said if he was warned he imagined it would never have gone ahead. So he neither confirmed nor denied whether he was told, effectively stating he couldn't recall being told.

He's either a liar (he even has previous experiences of being sacked for this) or he's clearly unfit for office for not understanding his own rules, which he claimed were "very clear" at the time, for not being able to tell the difference between a party and a work meeting or more generally for not being able to remember things from less than a year ago.

Either way, he has to go

[Edited as I thought OP was defending the indefensible, rightfully corrected now]
[Post edited 19 Jan 2022 8:23]
Plenty to bash boris for on 08:25 - Jan 19 with 884 viewsZXBlue

Plenty to bash boris for on 08:17 - Jan 19 by CrockerITFC

He actually said he couldn't remember being warned and said if he was warned he imagined it would never have gone ahead. So he neither confirmed nor denied whether he was told, effectively stating he couldn't recall being told.

He's either a liar (he even has previous experiences of being sacked for this) or he's clearly unfit for office for not understanding his own rules, which he claimed were "very clear" at the time, for not being able to tell the difference between a party and a work meeting or more generally for not being able to remember things from less than a year ago.

Either way, he has to go

[Edited as I thought OP was defending the indefensible, rightfully corrected now]
[Post edited 19 Jan 2022 8:23]

He was asked about cummings allegations and said he was never warned. In the context of being asked whether Cummings warned him. Thats the point.

QCummings has said you were warned....

A"I can tell you categorically, that nobody told me ... nobody said this was something that was against the rules."
Login to get fewer ads

Plenty to bash boris for on 08:44 - Jan 19 with 831 viewsDarth_Koont

I haven’t heard the original interview but seems entirely plausible based on our media and the people who are most swayed by it. Despite our media being one of the least trusted or trustworthy in developed countries.

Johnson is now getting the pointy end. Rather than the equally disingenuous soft treatment that helped put someone as unprincipled and unsuitable as him in power in the first place.

Objectively, the most important thing is that Johnson goes but this whole sorry episode shows our press in a very poor light too. And also that they’re way too rubbish and self-interested to have this sort of power.

Pronouns: He/Him

Plenty to bash boris for on 08:46 - Jan 19 with 824 viewsStokieBlue

I find his defence very strange.

He's said the May party was a work event but that's simply a defence taken from the parties in December when they could have been allowed

In May work events weren't allowed so isn't it an implicit admission that he's broken the rules?

In which case repeatedly saying it was allowed on the rules is lying and misleading parliament and thus there shouldn't even be a debate about him going?

It makes no sense.

SB

Avatar - IC484 - Horsehead and Flame Nebulae

Plenty to bash boris for on 08:58 - Jan 19 with 799 viewsBlueBadger

What is it about the Prime Minister being an openly racist, homophobic, corrupt and incompetent liar do you find worthy of defending?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Plenty to bash boris for on 10:45 - Jan 19 with 644 viewsCrockerITFC

Plenty to bash boris for on 08:25 - Jan 19 by ZXBlue

He was asked about cummings allegations and said he was never warned. In the context of being asked whether Cummings warned him. Thats the point.

QCummings has said you were warned....

A"I can tell you categorically, that nobody told me ... nobody said this was something that was against the rules."

He also failed to say Cummings lied, meanwhile Cummings said he would go on oath to say Johnson lied.

Also, you're choosing a convenient quote. If you haven't watched the interview I would urge you to do so because he also caveated your quote by saying it was the "very best of his recollection".

He also failed to say he would resign if it was uncovered that he had lied to parliament, which to me doesn't sound like something a completely innocent person would do.
Plenty to bash boris for on 10:58 - Jan 19 with 621 viewsCrockerITFC

And one last and final point, you're focusing on the wrong thing. Why focus on and try to analyze the words of an incoherent bumbling man? The point is these events (even if they can be classified as work events on a technicality) should never have happened in the first place. I mean come on man, Downing St. even had to issue an apology to the Queen!
Plenty to bash boris for on 11:04 - Jan 19 with 600 viewsSwansea_Blue

Plenty to bash boris for on 08:16 - Jan 19 by ZXBlue

I think it does matter. And well done for being the first to get and engage with the point! Even the BBC headline was rather misleading, which is probably making a rod for their own backs in the current situation. If people dont bother understanding nuance, or actually seeing the interview ratehr than forming opinions based on a headline, then people will never actually make good decisions for elections or elsewhere.

I agree entirely with everything else you say.

You're right, it does matter that things are correctly reported/represented. I haven't looked at that interview, so don't know if he was misrepresented. But it certainly happens all the time and isn't helpful.

There's plenty of reasons why he should go, but that's a separate point.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Plenty to bash boris for on 11:16 - Jan 19 with 576 viewsIllinoisblue

Plenty to bash boris for on 08:13 - Jan 19 by ZXBlue

Fascinatingly, no one in this thread appears to have read or understood the very simple point I made. Which simply reinforces the point; i.e. that on this particular headline, people are leaping into definitive conclusions based on a misunderstanding of what was said and its context. They have done the same on this post.

It really is important that people maintain some integrity in their criticism as well as quite rightly demanding that a man showing as little integrity as Johnson, should not be in office.

Is there a transcript of the interview? I’m curious how every news outlet and commentator in the country got it wrong.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Plenty to bash boris for on 18:20 - Jan 19 with 480 viewsZXBlue

Plenty to bash boris for on 08:58 - Jan 19 by BlueBadger

What is it about the Prime Minister being an openly racist, homophobic, corrupt and incompetent liar do you find worthy of defending?

What is it in this thread that amounts to defending him?

I agree with all you say about him. Just important to have integrity in the criticisms as well.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024